PDA

View Full Version : Gurley's a Man on the PS

vince
11-05-2011, 09:58 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-gurley-makes-a-splash-on-practice-squad-ec2u1k7-133280733.html

Packers' Gurley makes a splash on practice squad
Wide receiver keeping defense on their toes
By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

Green Bay - Wide receiver Tori Gurley, almost 10 pounds heavier and becoming more confident by the day, has spent nine impressive weeks on the Green Bay Packers' practice squad.

"Some of the catches this kid makes in practice are amazing," wide receiver Donald Driver said Friday. "He's going against the No. 1 defense and he's making great catches. Could he play on this team? Sure."

Gurley gave up his final two seasons at South Carolina, signed with the Packers in April as a free agent and led them in receptions with nine during the exhibition season before being waived Sept. 3.

Signed to the practice squad the next day, Gurley has put on a show in workouts that are closed to the public and partially open to media members.

"He's a lot better. . . a lot better," wide receiver James Jones said. "He's a good player and he's getting a lot more confident."

Gurley, 6 feet 4 inches and 216 pounds at the combine in February, played most of August weighing 217. Now, after consultation with coaches and trainers, he has bulked up to 225.

"He'll have people draped on him and he'll still snag the ball," said safety Charlie Peprah. "Deep. Intermediate. Whatever role he's playing, he makes great catches. He made plays all preseason, too."

For now, Gurley is making $96,900 impersonating the opponents' wide receivers in practice. Any team could sign him to their 53-man roster, where his base salary probably would be the rookie minimum of $375,000.

Gurley said he hasn't had to decide whether to remain on Green Bay's practice squad against accepting an offer because no team has made one. It's almost a foregone conclusion, however, that he would leave if a roster berth was offered anywhere.

As the season goes on, the Packers might be tempted to secure their ties with Gurley by promoting him to their 53-man roster. If not, Gurley said he definitely would re-sign with Green Bay once his practice-squad contract expires after the season.

"Most definitely," he said. "I'm going to continue to work and get better and learn from the older guys, and have an opportunity to make this team.

"I'm ready to play. I'm just one play away. When that happens, I'm going to hit the ground running and I'm never looking back."

Coach Mike McCarthy and the coaches have made Gurley feel wanted by giving him occasional snaps with the No. 1 offense. Still, his main function is making the defense work.

"Man, I've gotten so much better," said Gurley. "I'm really giving the No. 1s a really good look, and they respect me for that. We get after it, and that's why it shows on Sunday. Every day I try to do something to wow the coaches."

Gurley isn't the only promising wide receiver on the practice squad. There's also Diondre Borel, a converted quarterback from Utah State who also was cut Sept. 3. He's also made some plays as an emergency cornerback on the scout team.

"He's a heck of a football player," said Peprah. "He can make it somewhere."

Driver's hoping someone picks him up before next year.

mraynrand
11-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice job McGinn. Why not just send a DVD out to the other NFL teams?

MadScientist
11-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Reporters shouldn't be so glowing about guys who can be grabbed by other teams..

MJZiggy
11-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Unless there's something in the works. If he's writing a glowing report about a kid that only plays in closed practices and very limited time in front of the press, the glowing part has to be coming from somewhere else.

Upnorth
11-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Well if we have room for 5 TE's why not 6 or even 7 WR's? (My tongue is in cheek FYI)

KYPack
11-05-2011, 10:39 AM
The fact that few Packers have been signed off GB practice squad has surprised me. A couple NFL teams with poor OLines (Eagles come to mind here) should have picked up Dominguez for instance. When we weren't doing well, we'd always lose a guy or two off the PS. Now that we are champs, none have been signed.

That's good, but it is a bit of a surprise.

Cleft Crusty
11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Mraynrand, you should shut your big mouth. Reporters report, you ignorant fool. It's not the role of a good beat writer to protect the interest of the team, but to provide accurate and insightful information about the team. I did that for at least 2 of the 44 years I was a beat writer for the Milwaukee Urinal/UrinalScented. To expect otherwise is to ask for partisan support from the press, which can only end in disaster. The front office has to see to it that they protect their talent - not beat writers. IT amazes me how fundamentally stupid some posters, like Mraynrand, can be about football. I'm sure there are plenty of knitting forums to fill your time. Go peddle your papers there.

bobblehead
11-05-2011, 12:35 PM
I am glad he wrote this piece. I hope someone signs Gurley to a good contract. He deserves it and is stuck behind a mountain of talent here.

mmmdk
11-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Mraynrand, you should shut your big mouth. Reporters report, you ignorant fool. It's not the role of a good beat writer to protect the interest of the team, but to provide accurate and insightful information about the team. I did that for at least 2 of the 44 years I was a beat writer for the Milwaukee Urinal/UrinalScented. To expect otherwise is to ask for partisan support from the press, which can only end in disaster. The front office has to see to it that they protect their talent - not beat writers. IT amazes me how fundamentally stupid some posters, like Mraynrand, can be about football. I'm sure there are plenty of knitting forums to fill your time. Go peddle your papers there.

:tup:

mmmdk
11-05-2011, 12:43 PM
At 6 feet 4 inches and 225 pounds, Tori Gurley has an NFL body and the size which offenses covet. It never hurts when peers gives you credit too. If Gurley pans out; I sure hope it's with the Packers as he's would be yet another dagger for our potent offense. But if the guy's good - he will emerge...somewhere!

mraynrand
11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
At 6 feet 4 inches and 225 pounds, Tori Gurley has an NFL body and the size which offenses covet. It never hurts when peers gives you credit too. If Gurley pans out; I sure hope it's with the Packers as he's would be yet another dagger for our potent offense. But if the guy's good - he will emerge...somewhere!

Interesting that the Packers are facing similarly tall/large WR this weekend. Compare Gurley to Malcom Floyd, who is 6'5" but probably weighs 20 pounds less. Floyd may be slowed down with a hip injury, increasing the similarity!

Lurker64
11-05-2011, 04:29 PM
The fact that few Packers have been signed off GB practice squad has surprised me. A couple NFL teams with poor OLines (Eagles come to mind here) should have picked up Dominguez for instance. When we weren't doing well, we'd always lose a guy or two off the PS. Now that we are champs, none have been signed.

That's good, but it is a bit of a surprise.

It's hard to sign a WR off of another team's practice squad during the season, since a receiver who doesn't know the offense might as well not be on the field a lot of the time. I think the trend for emergency WR pickups after injury tends more towards "sign a street veteran, since at least you don't have to teach him how to play the position at the NFL level" than singing PS guys who you have to teach both his position and the offense.

Also, we did lose one guy off the PS, Chastin West got signed by Jaguars. I don't think he's playing much, but he's a lot more "NFL ready" than Gurley is. I think Gurley's mostly a guy with tools who is in the process of figuring out the position.

rbaloha1
11-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Gurley may need to be promoted ASAP and a te demoted. Wonder if Gurley is capable of playing special teams?

channtheman
11-05-2011, 08:56 PM
DD is gone next year. Someone like Gurley (or Gurley) will replace him and have plenty of time to sit and learn behind Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb.

Smeefers
11-06-2011, 07:58 AM
DD is gone next year. Someone like Gurley (or Gurley) will replace him and have plenty of time to sit and learn behind Jennings, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb.

I'm going to jump on the DD is not going to be gone next year band wagon. He may be declining, but he's still better than a lot of guys out there.

Joemailman
11-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Gurley may need to be promoted ASAP and a te demoted. Wonder if Gurley is capable of playing special teams?

If Gurley were as good on special teams as the 4th or 5th TE, he'd probably be on the 53 man roster. It's pretty unlikely any team will be likely to be looking for a WR off another teams PS at this point of the season.

Fritz
11-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Cleft, I love ya, and you're right, but even so, I hope Santa leaves some Metamucil in your stocking.

Packman_26
11-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Oh yeah? Why not write about game plans or trick plays that you see in practice too?
I don't think that this particular story is a problem since he quoted players and if he gave something away so did they. However, if it isn't "the role of a good beat writer to protect the interest of the team" I suggest that they think much harder about which media members are allowed to watch closed practices.

RashanGary
11-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Boy, I think this is it for Driver. Jordy has locked down the #2 role. You can see Cobb being the obvious slot guy starting next year. He has great hands. He breaks tackles, and they keep talking about how fast the game comes to him. Jones is a great #4. It's about that time. We'll see though. If nobody steps up, maybe Driver hangs on one more year.

Brando19
11-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Boy, I think this is it for Driver. Jordy has locked down the #2 role. You can see Cobb being the obvious slot guy starting next year. He has great hands. He breaks tackles, and they keep talking about how fast the game comes to him. Jones is a great #4. It's about that time. We'll see though. If nobody steps up, maybe Driver hangs on one more year.

I think this is it for Driver...for sure. Cobb is coming on, like you said, and Gurley is ready for his chance. Driver is invisible most games this year...he's just not up to speed for this fast paced offense anymore.

RashanGary
11-06-2011, 08:09 PM
I think this is it for Driver...for sure. Cobb is coming on, like you said, and Gurley is ready for his chance. Driver is invisible most games this year...he's just not up to speed for this fast paced offense anymore.

Right. I love him over the middle in the redzone. That's it. He hasn't gotten deep at all this year. He hasn't broken tackles. He's still savvy. Right now, in the redzone, he's way more likely than Cobb or Jones to run the route AR is looking for and he doesn't need speed or tackle breaking to do that. He's a nice luxury piece. If a 5th WR comes on in camp, that could be it for DD. I think he's gone too.

gbgary
11-06-2011, 08:21 PM
sign him up and drop a tight end. :)

gbgary
11-06-2011, 08:23 PM

lol

RashanGary
11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
sign him up and drop a tight end.

I wouldn't be against this. DD is still savvy as hell. In the redzone, in the middle, speed and athleticism don't mean much. Being in the right spot is everything. He's a nice luxury piece for killer redzone play.

CaliforniaCheez
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM

I have to agree with you. For fans outside the area it is nice to know what is going on. How else would I know that the guy is bulking up?
This is why people like me across the nation are clicking on the Press Gazette and Journal Sentinel daily.

Secondly, people tend to give Ted Thompson a lot of credit for finding guys with potential and signing them. Mike McCarthy's staff does not get enough credit for working and developing the players they get.

Thirdly, it is almost that time of year where Ted Thompson starts churning the practice squad. He knows what he has and that other teams aren't signing them. So he will cut guys from the practice squad and sign some prospect for a couple of weeks and then cut them and bring in another player to evaluate. Late in the season he is always using the practice squad as a type of tryout.

Some practice squad guys got 4 "extra weeks" on the practice squad while the Packers were in the playoffs, much to the players benefit.

If he lasts and replaces Driver next season, so be it. As much as I like Driver, all good things come to an end.

mmmdk
11-08-2011, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't be against this. DD is still savvy as hell. In the redzone, in the middle, speed and athleticism don't mean much. Being in the right spot is everything. He's a nice luxury piece for killer redzone play.

With the above in mind and if Gurley is legit then keep six receivers.

Can't wait for "The Gurley Show" to hit the road. :lol:

Upnorth
11-08-2011, 01:30 PM
With the above in mind and if Gurley is legit then keep six receivers.

Can't wait for "The Gurley Show" to hit the road. :lol:

I think we could let one of our TE's go to the practice roster. We dont have all 5 active each week (I believe)

HowardRoark
11-08-2011, 05:39 PM

You should just click on his profile and ignore him, that's what he does to all of us here. It's like a Twitter account for him around here.

CaliforniaCheez
11-08-2011, 07:15 PM
The Gurley Show with a Cobb.......

Zool
11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
The Gurley Show with a Cobb.......

I've watched that movie before.

Teamcheez1
11-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Have always loved DD, the quintessential Packer, however I don't see him back next year because of his contract:

$4.1M in base salary, plus $700k roster bonus, plus $200k workout bonus. $5M is a bit much to spend. Perhaps if he comes back at $1M, but it may be time to retire and let one of the young guys step up.

King Friday
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
I am glad he wrote this piece. I hope someone signs Gurley to a good contract. He deserves it and is stuck behind a mountain of talent here.

Huh? Driver is clearly on the downside, and probably won't be back next year. Finley is also a wild card...he might not be back next year either. I'd LOVE to have a kid like Gurley who is comfortable with our system to step in to pick up the slack.

Yeah, there isn't much room for him this year (barring injury) but I'm guessing next year will be a different story. The kid is 6'4" and 225!! If he is making tons of nice catches already, then he may have as much (or MORE) potential than Cobb as a receiver. Do what is necessary to keep the kid here...even if that means dumping one of the ho-hum TEs.

Fritz
11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't he be a Gurley man?