PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sunday's game: Ryan Grant

Kiwon
11-07-2011, 06:23 AM
I didn't get to see the game.

What's up with Ryan Grant? How come he got only four carries? Is he injured?

Brandon494
11-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Starks is better

smuggler
11-07-2011, 06:59 AM
The line doesn't block well, and Starks can run through guys. Grant is faster, but he's no burner himself and he goes down with every hit.

Fritz
11-07-2011, 07:02 AM
What smuggler said.

sharpe1027
11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Starks had only 13 carries. They barely called any running plays.

Freak Out
11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
At this point one would have to assume that Grant is in there for his pass blocking more than anything....Starks should continue to get all the carries. Grants not bad but Starks is much better at this point.

PA Pack Fan
11-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Seems to me hey trade having good games. Neither is better than the other.

Pugger
11-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Starks had only 13 carries. They barely called any running plays.

And I think this might have been a mistake. Starks had some decent runs. Were the coaches afraid of them fumbling a rain soaked football? When we practically abandoned the run the Chargers pinned their ears back and hit Rodgers more than I'd like.

pbmax
11-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I think Grant was hurt by the limited number of possessions. Not many plays overall for the offense compared to SD.

sharpe1027
11-07-2011, 11:42 AM
And I think this might have been a mistake. Starks had some decent runs. Were the coaches afraid of them fumbling a rain soaked football? When we practically abandoned the run the Chargers pinned their ears back and hit Rodgers more than I'd like.

Maybe, but it is hard to argue with the results. IMO, a lack of offense was in no way the problem.

RashanGary
11-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Starks is better

Yep.

Grant's nice only because he gives Starks body a break.

Harlan Huckleby
11-07-2011, 02:09 PM
why run more when AR is hitting a silly high percentage of passes? I don't think S.D. smelled a pick all day.

Grant used to be more of bruiser, if memory serves me. I doubt pack will bring him back next year.

Can't decide whether Starks is slow to the hole, or patient with his blockers. Sort of a fine line, like the difference between being voluptuous and fat. What I know for sure is he is good after he gets a little steam.

Pugger
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Maybe, but it is hard to argue with the results. IMO, a lack of offense was in no way the problem.

I know, I just don't like to see Rodgers getting hit at any time. His health is kinda important to this team. ;)

channtheman
11-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Seems to me hey trade having good games. Neither is better than the other.

This. Just a few weeks ago Starks looked like a total idiot running the ball hesitantly and picking the wrong holes.

Fritz
11-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Well, you can say the offense isn't the problem in this game, but take away the pick sixes and the score is 38 - 31 SD. 31 points ain't bad, for sure, but SD's offense put up 38. If ding dongs on the radio are going to say this team don't need no stinkin' defense, then they ought to be complaining about the offense not being able to keep up with SD's.

Patler
11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Well, you can say the offense isn't the problem in this game, but take away the pick sixes and the score is 38 - 31 SD. 31 points ain't bad, for sure, but SD's offense put up 38. If ding dongs on the radio are going to say this team don't need no stinkin' defense, then they ought to be complaining about the offense not being able to keep up with SD's.

Keep in mind that the pick sixes and onside kick essentially each took a possession away from the offense, The Packer possession results were:

TD
Downs
TD
FG
TD
TD
Then the end of game drives to use up the clock resulted in two punts.

They scored 4 TDs and a FG on their first six possessions. Scoring on 5 of 6 possessions before the closing drives is plenty good.

The Chargers possessions were:
TD
int
int
TD
FG
end of half
TD
punt
TD
TD
punt
int

Upnorth
11-07-2011, 10:16 PM
I think that Grant and Starks are an excellent combo to have, and as has been mentioned before sometimes one gets shut downso we turn to the other. Running back by committee is in vogue right now, and I see no reason why us utilizing it is a bad idea. Long term the backs are healthier for the playoffs, and it keeps the defence from keying in as much. Our O uses multiple looks very effectively, and two backs with two skill sets lends itself to various looks. I look forward to Green healing up and showing us what he can do, And then we can argue about which of the three backs is the best.

Gunakor
11-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Grant had the kidney bruise or whatever it was that he's been nursing for a couple weeks now, so that might have something to do with it.

Gunakor
11-08-2011, 02:08 AM

Had our DB's not selfishly taken valuable possessions away from our offense AR puts up more than 31 points. In fact, he probably scores TD's on those two possessions, making the score 45-38 anyways. Oh, and then there's less time on the clock, so SD probably doesn't score all 38 of their points.

Final score without the pick sixes: Green Bay 45, San Diego 31. By taking 2 INT's to the house, T-Will and Peprah cost us 7 in point differential. I hope they're happy.

sharpe1027
11-08-2011, 05:51 AM

SD's offense only scored a net 24 pts, plus one additional turnover, and they had about four extra possessions. No comparison.

pbmax
11-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Had our DB's not selfishly taken valuable possessions away from our offense AR puts up more than 31 points. In fact, he probably scores TD's on those two possessions, making the score 45-38 anyways. Oh, and then there's less time on the clock, so SD probably doesn't score all 38 of their points.

Final score without the pick sixes: Green Bay 45, San Diego 31. By taking 2 INT's to the house, T-Will and Peprah cost us 7 in point differential. I hope they're happy.

I have always thought they should fall down at the 1 yard line so the offense can get some work in, bleed the clock if need be and let the defense rest.

Pugger
11-08-2011, 07:54 AM

:lol:

But seriously, didn't Aaron say after the game we didn't have many possessions in the first half? It isn't easy to get into any sort of rhythm when you're sitting on the sidelines.

Patler
11-08-2011, 08:25 AM

I have always thought they should fall down at the 1 yard line so the offense can get some work in, bleed the clock if need be and let the defense rest.

Clearly the coaches made the necessary halftime adjustment. Peprah brought the last interception back 76 yards, but didn't take it in for the score. Good practice for interceptions in future weeks! :lol:

Upnorth
11-08-2011, 08:32 AM
All joking aside, was any one else yelling "GET DOWN YOU IDIOT!!!". I made my 2 yr old daughter cry. I am a bad man.

pbmax
11-08-2011, 09:42 AM
All joking aside, was any one else yelling "GET DOWN YOU IDIOT!!!". I made my 2 yr old daughter cry. I am a bad man.

Same exclamation here. At least the Packers haven't adopted Clay Matthew Jr.'s favorite turnover recovery play: the lateral to a teammate while surrounded. :)

bobblehead
11-08-2011, 09:48 AM
why run more when AR is hitting a silly high percentage of passes? I don't think S.D. smelled a pick all day.

Grant used to be more of bruiser, if memory serves me. I doubt pack will bring him back next year.

Can't decide whether Starks is slow to the hole, or patient with his blockers. Sort of a fine line, like the difference between being voluptuous and fat. What I know for sure is he is good after he gets a little steam.

I think you are just throwing this out there as wild speculation hoping that you can bring it up later and show how smart you are. Anyone who thinks that Grant won't be with this team next year is clearly crazy.

bobblehead
11-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Yea, I almost dropped an F bomb with a 5 year old in the room.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2011, 10:33 AM
I think you are just throwing this out there as wild speculation hoping that you can bring it up later and show how smart you are. Anyone who thinks that Grant won't be with this team next year is clearly crazy.

They are going to pay Grant starter money so he can be the third best back on the roster?

I would guess a majority of packer sports writers don't expect Grant to be back. I've heard this speculation from a couple.

I expect TT will draft a back next spring.

Patler
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Same exclamation here. At least the Packers haven't adopted Clay Matthew Jr.'s favorite turnover recovery play: the lateral to a teammate while surrounded. :)

The switch on players' desire to score circuitry is a difficult one to turn off.

MJZiggy
11-08-2011, 06:04 PM
The whole bar was yelling it, almost in unison...

Freak Out
11-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Get down get down.....jungle boogie.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2011, 06:25 PM

peprah's selfish stupidity irritated me to no end. he's been in nfl too long to pull this

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2011, 06:27 PM

do a little dance, make little love, get down tonight, get down tonight

MJZiggy
11-08-2011, 06:28 PM

You are so stinkin' old...

vince
11-08-2011, 07:32 PM
peprah's selfish stupidity irritated me to no end. he's been in nfl too long to pull this
Take your fiber and blood pressure medication. Everything will be alright.

gbgary
11-08-2011, 09:18 PM

i was yelling TO THE HOUSE! trying not to score is counterintuitive. and heck, he may have some clause in his contract about pick-6s.

gbgary
11-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Take your fiber and blood pressure medication. Everything will be alright.

:lol:

bobblehead
11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
They are going to pay Grant starter money so he can be the third best back on the roster?

I would guess a majority of packer sports writers don't expect Grant to be back. I've heard this speculation from a couple.

I expect TT will draft a back next spring.

Some people speculated he would/should be cut this season.

Brandon494
11-08-2011, 09:32 PM

I never thought he would be cut but I've always stated that this would be his last year with the team especially after drafting Green in the 3rd round.

Pugger
11-09-2011, 09:40 AM

You guys are making me feel old and now I have that silly song stuck in my head! :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2011, 10:48 AM
ya, and they were on the right trail, Grant had to reduce his salary to stay.

The team is always looking to improve. Many talented RBs come out of college every year. RBs don;t last long unless they are really, really good. Grant is mediocre, maybe Starks is above average. RB is the most fluid, interchangeable position on the team.

Other than Ahman Green, the packers have cycled through endless RBs in recent decades. Even the good ones, like Dorsey Levens, were only hot for a couple years.

mraynrand
11-09-2011, 10:55 AM
ya, and they were on the right trail, Grant had to reduce his salary to stay.

The team is always looking to improve. Many talented RBs come out of college every year. RBs don;t last long unless they are really, really good. Grant is mediocre, maybe Starks is above average. RB is the most fluid, interchangeable position on the team.

Other than Ahman Green, the packers have cycled through endless RBs in recent decades. Even the good ones, like Dorsey Levens, were only hot for a couple years.

yup. Grant was an insurance policy against Starks getting hurt, or having a sophomore slump. Turned out to be a pretty good policy so far, especially with Green going down.

smuggler
11-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Not to mention that we had the ball at the 6 when the game ended. That was another 7 points we left out there because they did not matter.