PDA

View Full Version : RIP Joe

Freak Out
11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Joe Frazier. RIP Champ.

Harlan Huckleby
11-08-2011, 11:10 AM
I loved smokin joe

when i first saw this, my first thought was joemailman has been mauled by a dog. I was neither happy nor sad, just anxious for details.

HowardRoark
11-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I loved smokin joe

when i first saw this, my first thought was joemailman has been mauled by a dog. I was neither happy nor sad, just anxious for details.

I hate malls.

mraynrand
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I hate malls.

I'm ignoring you

Little Whiskey
11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm ignoring you

wrong thread

mraynrand
11-08-2011, 02:05 PM
wrong thread

I can ignore him in every thread if I want. Consider yourself ignored! :taunt: <-- that's a 15 yard penalty on Finley!

sheepshead
11-08-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4-WjL8jIyQ

when it was a sport

Freak Out
11-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Smokin Joe......just kept getting up.

Little Whiskey
11-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Consider yourself ignored! :taunt: <-- that's a 15 yard penalty on Finley!

Finally.

Joemailman
11-08-2011, 08:19 PM
I loved smokin joe

Come a little closer and I'll give you he details:

http://allseasonscyclist.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/halt-01.jpg

channtheman
11-08-2011, 11:31 PM
I thought this was a bump from the whole Admin Joe fiasco.

Harlan Huckleby
11-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Come a little closer and I'll give you he details:

http://allseasonscyclist.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/halt-01.jpg

produce a stream up to 12 feet?

to change subject slightly, men really got it bad. We got to worry that our dick is big enough, that we last long enough, sperm count and volume are graded. Now I see on tv that to really be virile we got to have a rubust urine stream. Take flomax and piss like a racehorse, then you're a real man.

Glad to hear you are safe & sound. However, if you think your little doggy-b-gone is going to slow me down, you should ask some of the college women in my neighborhood how well the mace worked. Don't test me, mailman.

Zool
11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
You spelled guys wrong

Little Whiskey
11-09-2011, 05:58 PM
down goes frazier!

woodbuck27
11-09-2011, 06:59 PM
WOW this news was a bit of a shocker for me. Some here at Packerrats, are old enough abd will re-call the great Smokin' Joe Vs Muhammed Ali very competitive bouts, that showcased contrasting styles in the Heavyweight Division:

Boxing Classics - The Muhammad Ali v Joe Frazier Trilogy - 1971-1975

Probably the most famous rivalry in boxing history.

CLIK on the LINK Please to read all about it.

woodbuck27
11-09-2011, 07:12 PM
WOW this news was a bit of a shocker for me. Some here at Packerrats, are old enough abd will re-call the great Smokin' Joe Vs Muhammed Ali very competitive bouts, that showcased contrasting styles in the Heavyweight Division:

Boxing Classics - The Muhammad Ali v Joe Frazier Trilogy - 1971-1975

Probably the most famous rivalry in boxing history.

CLIK on the LINK Please to read all about it.

THE FIGHT

** The venue for the fight was to be Madison Square Garden and the date March 8 1971. It was billed simply as “The Fight”. Both men were guaranteed 2 and half million dollars each which at the time was the biggest payday in history. Anyone who was anyone was there. Even Frank Sinatra was ringside taking photographs.

** The fight started with Ali dancing and Frazier stalking. Ali would try and let Frazier tire himself out but the champion was connecting with hard body shots which slowed Ali down.

**Ali was staggered in the 11th round and everyone ringside thought he was on his way out but Ali was probably part clowning

** Frazier however confirmed his superiority in the 15th round by dropping Ali with a fierce left hook which would have knocked out a horse.

woodbuck27
11-09-2011, 07:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4-WjL8jIyQ

when it was a sport

Hey Man! Thanks for that awesome clip. Yup that's back when boxers were REAL men. That clip demonstrates aggression in the highest degree.

I started watching the Fridauy Night Fights when I was about 6 to 7 years old with my Father. Dad taught me the basics of boxing and I put the gloves on myself by age eight and began to get comfortable in the sport. I fought until my late teens. As a teen I worked out with a Canadian Champion, Jackie Burke. He was last I heard, a potter. Once he was apprenticed to my Dad. Funny thing about this fella. He couldn't field a baseball gronder for the life of him. He was really clumsy on a baseball diamond but get him into the ring and he tic tack toe'd you faster than attacking wasps. The man was fighting teenagers but he was so fast it didn't matter if it was men. Jackie Burke - The Fighten Irishman, former Canadian Bantam Weight Champion. He's in the New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame.

Fighting growing up where I came from. It was like Belfast , Ireland. You had to fight it in the Port City I grew up in ( Saint John, New Brunswick) because it was going to be in your face one way or another, unless you hid really well or ran really fast. (-:

woodbuck27
11-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Bump.I seldom do this but maybe other posters here are unaware 'the JOE«, is Joe Frazier, as I was unaware. I love OUR sports hero's.

Wasn't here a really famous bout between Frazier and Ali called 'The Trilla from Manila'. Seems to me that was the greatest fight I ever saw.That was just a brutal display of survival from both men in the ring facing one another for the last time as I re-call it. I'll check that out and be back on this.

Joe Frazier should be remembered on PackerRats. Thank You for starting this thread Freak Out.

Unless your at least say ...50 years of age. You wouldn't have seen Smokin' JOE box. He could hit as hard as Mike Tyson IMO.

George Foreman in his prime. Good Gaud he looked unstoppable until Muhammed Ali shrinked him in 'the Rumble in the Jungle'. Hey kids it's all on YOUTube for you to see it just as I have.

R.I.P. Smokin Joe Frazier...You could sure fight. A man after my heart.

woodbuck27
11-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Got it:

The third Joe Frazier Vs Muhammed Ali Fight:

THE Thrilla in Manila. What a beauty...also gruesome in terms of the punishment dished out by both fighter. One of the very best fights ALL TIME IMO.

AN Introduction Follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrilla_in_Manila

woodbuck27
11-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier - Thrilla in Manila - 1975 - The Third Fight ! This one isn't for the sensative viewer as your going to see punishment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzG1WsCzXJk

Enjoy this awesome FIGHT Packerrats. THE REAL DEAL.

I LOVED Round Three andthat strategy ..'Ali ...the rally'.

Any opponents camp should have seen ALi's strategy to often rest on the ropes and allow the opponent to get frustrated and weaken his muscles or punch himself out. Think George Foreman....The Rumble IN The Jungle. That fight put Foreman into BARBeeQuu's.

To do this you had to be as tall as Ali was and in awesome condition. Because he's going to get thrashed. It ws amazing what Ali did against Foreman in 'the JUNGLE'. The consummate example of PATIENCE. Wait..wait...wait. Then ... finally... it's TIME .... take em' OUT!

woodbuck27
11-10-2011, 10:32 AM
OooKaa. We have two slices of bread in The first Joe Frazier V Muhammed Ali Fight ...

'The FIGHT of the Century' (1971) and the Third Match...

The Thrilla From Manilla (1975).

's put something with REAL protein between those two boxing match's. Let's add a little salt and pepper. I give you 'the second Frazier VS Ali Fight.

I give you what some experts call the VERT BEST!! I liked the thirsd as I wanted to see an end to these two Gladiators beating on one another. Who really won? It was lke a WAR in the simple observation and 'Final Analysis' of the Joe Frazier V Muhammed Ali Fights.

Enough of that let's get to it. I give you ....' The FIGHT ':

Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier II ... Jan 28, 1974 ... Rounds 1 - 12 ... & Interviews:

Sorry but you get to see a once GREAT Buffalo Bill Running back, that went on to wear small leather gloves, doing some commentary as this fight progress's.

THE FIGHT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOIWWyNHJs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMOIWWyNHJs)

This one is really good as well. Grab a few beers and maybe call up a Bud and watch THE FIGHT over a few coolies !!

:tup: On this thread Packerrats. It's all about respect.

Harlan Huckleby
11-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I think the frazier-ali fights were bigger phenomena than today's super bowls. Most of the country was behind smokin joe, ali was a world-wide star but not yet accepted by mainstream USA. Ali was a dick, calling that nice guy frazier "uncle tom" or "gorilla". Of course not many people got to see the fights live, everyone was glued to radio like it was 1941.

Harlan Huckleby
11-10-2011, 10:55 AM
I thought this was a bump from the whole Admin Joe fiasco.

or lawyer joe.

we've had a rocky history with joe's, from the lawyer to the mailman its been nothin but trouble

Freak Out
11-10-2011, 11:20 AM
I think the frazier-ali fights were bigger phenomena than today's super bowls. Most of the country was behind smokin joe, ali was a world-wide star but not yet accepted by mainstream USA. Ali was a dick, calling that nice guy frazier "uncle tom" or "gorilla". Of course not many people got to see the fights live, everyone was glued to radio like it was 1941.

Ali was the master pitch man.....he knew how to hype the fight better than anyone has before or after. Frazier made him pay though....even the fight Ali won he was beaten up badly.

woodbuck27
11-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Ali was the master pitch man.....he knew how to hype the fight better than anyone has before or after. Frazier made him pay though....even the fight Ali won he was beaten up badly.

Yup ! Smokin' Joe made Ali pay for his lip. After three fights Ali was definitely done with Joe Fazier. He got sen sa ble. (-;

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2011, 01:23 PM

I remember when boxing was bigger too. There would be solid fights on Saturday afternoon on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Hell, there was Mike Tyson fight on there once, now everthing is PPV and thus the popularity has gone south.

Freak Out
11-10-2011, 01:27 PM
All the networks had boxing on back then. Networks made fighters in those days.

Harlan Huckleby
11-10-2011, 10:20 PM
UFC on the networks now.

that sport turns my stomach. maybe i'll learn to appreciate. I should go watch some of skinbasket's mma bouts, at l least then I'd have a side to cheer for even if i don't know who they are.

Scott Campbell
11-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Bump.I seldom do this but maybe other posters here are unaware 'the JOE«, is Joe Frazier, as I was unaware.

Gee - thanks for clearing that mystery up.

http://www.fest21.com/files/images/Peter_Sellers.jpg