PDA

View Full Version : Punters across the league improving (so fire slocum)

Upnorth
11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
No hidden agenda here, just pointing out that it is not just our punter improving.
Footballoutsiders has a story
http://footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2011/walkthrough-lovin-puntin-screenin
about punting averages. It was stable through the 80's and 90's at around 40.5 to 41.5 yrds. 2004 it was 42.
2009 it was 44.1, 2010 it was 43.4.
THe average this year has jumped to 45.1.
Long story short, Masthay's increase has come at the same time everyone else is as well.

gbgary
11-09-2011, 09:58 AM
new/different ball? air pressure change? global warming?

Cheesehead Craig
11-09-2011, 09:59 AM
It's global warming. The air is warmer everywhere so the ball travels further.

EDIT: Beat me to the global warming comment gb!

Patler
11-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Maybe punters have learned how to cork their feet. (It works with bats in baseball.)

gbgary
11-09-2011, 10:07 AM

i just thought you were responding to my question. :)

mraynrand
11-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Maybe punters have learned how to cork their feet. (It works with bats in baseball.)

That's got to be it. And explains how Dempsey was able to blast it so far, even though he wasn't a soccer style kicker. That foot must have been completely engineered!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/88/Tom_dempsey.jpg/275px-Tom_dempsey.jpg

Zool
11-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Its Wednesday...so fire Slocum

ThunderDan
11-09-2011, 10:42 AM

Actually if I remember correctly objects travel farther in cold air. There are less active air molecules to slow down flying objects. Denser air is easier to generate lift and glide on. Consumption of jet fuel on calm winter days goes down in airplanes. (Boy those physics classes 20+ years ago are getting pretty fuzzy in my memory)

Now the human who is trying to punt/throw the ball might be cold and not be able to put as much energy into the throw.

sharpe1027
11-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Actually if I remember correctly objects travel farther in cold air. There are less active air molecules to slow down flying objects. Denser air is easier to generate lift and glide on. Consumption of jet fuel on calm winter days goes down in airplanes. (Boy those physics classes 20+ years ago are getting pretty fuzzy in my memory)

Now the human who is trying to punt/throw the ball might be cold and not be able to put as much energy into the throw.

If you are creating lift with wings, that is a different dynamic than a ball traveling through the air. You want more density to create the lift in the first case, but not so much in the second case.

pbmax
11-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Its gotta be the shoes.

http://www.uptempoairforums.com/uploads/2218/mars_blackmon.jpg

Smeefers
11-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Its Wednesday...so fire Slocum

This is perhaps the finest argument I have yet to hear as to why we should fire slocum. Kudos.

Fritz
11-09-2011, 07:12 PM
The most interesting development in punting the last few years has been the adoption of the Australian rugby-style kick that hits and bounces straight up or backward. That's what has finally replaced the old coffin-corner kick, which was a deadly weapon back in the day.

Upnorth
11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Has accuracy been replaced by hang time and distance? I think that aiming for the side would help our poor cover teams.

King Friday
11-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Relax people...November and December weather tends to wage war on the averages.

pbmax
11-09-2011, 08:52 PM
One theory, with only a cursory sort through the data, is that coaches have been slowly catching on to the idea that being overly conservative with a punt on 4th and reasonable from within your opponents territory (say from the 35 to 50 or so) is trading possession for very little gain in field position.

But its just based on observations of more coaches going for it on 4th and short.

gbgary
11-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Relax people...November and December weather tends to wage war on the averages.

winner!

Smidgeon
11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
new/different ball? air pressure change? global warming?

It hasn't gotten cold yet. Or did they address that in the article?