PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Mckenzie and the Oakland Job

Fritz
11-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Once again, Reggie Mckenzie's name is being bandied about for a GM's job...if in fact Oakland's going to have a real GM, (as opposed to the very successful Seattle model currently in place with Pete Carroll/John Schneider) since Hue Jackson, according to this morning's JSO, has increasing power over there. He's the architect behind the two trades of last month which have resulted in Oakland not having a pick until the fifth round of 2012.

Couple of interesting notes in the article. One is that Ron Wolf, who was interviewed, spoke to Al Davis's son Mark and said that Mark Davis was not yet sure how he wanted to structure the GM's job (hints of Hue Jackson's influence?), but that Davis was getting lots of sound advice from people like John Madden.

A few lines later, Wolf suggested that any potential candidate's ties to Oakland would mean nothing. Hmm. So Mark Davis is consulting with former Oakland people like Madden and Wolf, but ties to Oakland won't matter for any candidates? Weird.

The second thing that caught my eye was the chart at the bottom of the article listing front-office people who've been hired away from the Packers in the last fifteen years. As you'd guess, there were a few hired away in the late nineties, then none hired away for a number of years, then another few beginning to be hired away a few years ago.

Maybe this is a marker of the long-term health of an organization. While Shermy had some good years, record-wise, with the Packers, it is clear other organizations did not think the front office talent was worth raiding.

gbgary
11-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Wolf suggested that any potential candidate's ties to Oakland would mean nothing. Hmm. So Mark Davis is consulting with former Oakland people like Madden and Wolf, but ties to Oakland won't matter for any candidates? Weird.

they're trusted ex-raiders with skins on the wall. they wouldn't be so short sighted as to recommend he only look at other former raiders. oakland has to get away from that myopic mentallity that's crippled them for so long.

Fritz
11-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Sure doesn't sound like it right now, though, with Hue Jackson creeping under the family's skin and trading away the future.

Pugger
11-12-2011, 06:07 PM
It would be a nice move up career wise but selfishly I want Mckenzie to stay at 1265.

Fritz
11-13-2011, 11:44 AM
I have mixed feelings, too. On the one hand, if he's that good you want him to stay. On the other hand, his moving strengthens the perception that GB is a good place for promising young scouting talent to go, and it also allows some of that young talent to move up the ladder in GB. I wonder, for example, how good Elliot Wolf really is, and if Mckenzie goes, I wonder if Wolf will move up in the organization in a significant way.

GB

Joemailman
11-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I think Wolf was promoted this year in anticipation of McKenzie leaving. He's probably the heir apparent.

gbgary
11-13-2011, 01:31 PM
is elliot wolf a pup of ron wolf?