PDA

View Full Version : Idiocy of NFL scheduling

Guiness
11-12-2011, 01:34 PM
The 3 game in 11 day stretch the Chargers just went through, and the Packers have coming up is nothing short of ridiculous.

The Chargers played Oct 31 (a Monday night game), the Pack on the 6th then the Raiders in a Thursday night game on the 10th.

The Pack have a similar stretch coming up, Monday night game (Minnesota) on the 14th, Tampa on the 20th, then in Detroit on the 24th for the Thanksgiving game.

Both times the three game stretch started with a Monday night game. Idiotic that the schedule makers don't take that into consideration, and have them play Sunday at 1, giving the teams an extra day and a half.

Smeefers
11-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Didn't the pack do this last year with a 3 games in 12 days? I also believe they won all three of those. I don't think it's the best of idea's to do this, but it's bound to happen and I like seeing the pack challanged. The tougher challanges we have now, the better prepared we will be come January.

Guiness
11-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Challenge is one thing, fatigue and it causing injuries is another.

I wonder what the injury stats over stretches like that look like.

Smeefers
11-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Unfortunately, finding out would require me to open another tab and do some research and that open tab button is sooooo far away from where my mouse curser currently is. Le sigh.

Upnorth
11-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Injuries related to this would be interesting to see. Also I would like to see effects of momentum on these, does early win or loss affect the next short game more than with regular recovery time?
Smeefers, have you opened the tab yet???

Patler
11-12-2011, 06:10 PM
One day? You are complaining about one day?

Monday - Sunday - Thursday
or
Sunday - Sunday - Thursday

I doubt it makes any difference.
They have Thursday games every week from this past week to the end of the season. The Sunday-Sunday-Thursday will happen to many teams. Haven't bothered to check if the Monday-Sunday-Thursday happens to anyone but San Diego and Green Bay.

Guiness
11-12-2011, 06:35 PM
One day? You are complaining about one day?

Monday - Sunday - Thursday
or
Sunday - Sunday - Thursday

I doubt it makes any difference.
They have Thursday games every week from this past week to the end of the season. The Sunday-Sunday-Thursday will happen to many teams. Haven't bothered to check if the Monday-Sunday-Thursday happens to anyone but San Diego and Green Bay.

Actually, yes I am.

Recovery time is critical. Anyone who trains hard knows what a difference an extra day can make. It's also a day and a half, or more. If you play at 1pm on Sunday, you can relax after, hit the hot tub or massage table, home and in bed comfortably at a normal time. Monday game runs to midnight, you're lucky to be hitting the sack much before 2am, I would assume.

MJZiggy
11-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Are the Monday night games home or away?

Guiness
11-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Are the Monday night games home or away?

I was going to mention that - San Diego had it worse that way, their Monday game was in Kansas. However, GB gets it on the other end with an early away game on Thursday. Lucky for the Pack, it's just Detroit, a pretty short trip.

Patler
11-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Actually, yes I am.

Recovery time is critical. Anyone who trains hard knows what a difference an extra day can make. It's also a day and a half, or more. If you play at 1pm on Sunday, you can relax after, hit the hot tub or massage table, home and in bed comfortably at a normal time. Monday game runs to midnight, you're lucky to be hitting the sack much before 2am, I would assume.

The regular Sunday game follows the Monday game. How is that any different than any of the other Monday night games that are played every week?

Thursday follows Sunday, just like for the other 20 teams that play Thursday games this year following a Sunday game.

So they play 3 games in 11 days rather than 3 in 12. Nothing to worry about.

MJZiggy
11-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I like it when Patler doesn't worry.

vince
11-13-2011, 12:12 AM
It's a concern if the team is or gets beat up through the stretch. Matthews might be a concern in that regard. He's not practicing much this week and has sat out a lot of practices this year for a variety of nagging muscle injuries - glute and hammy I think. Now iit's the knee I believe.

If you are/can stay reasonably healthy, I think the players like the run of games because they can get and stay in game speed mode a bit more during the run of games. I know I would and Rodgers has said as much too in an interview.

Coming out of their bye last week, McCarthy said that they researched was teams coming off of a bye week and it was a significant trend that teams start their next game slower than normal. I think the opposite would hold true when a team plays more in a shorter period of time - again assuming the team isn't overly beat up at the time.

A lot of people are guessing/hoping that Neal will play on Thanksgiving, which I can't see. The team gets another mini-bye coming out of Thanksgiving, so my guess is he would be in a lot better shape to return after that, and given the Packers' medical staff's pretty conservative approach toward returning from surgical procedures, I think that's more realistic.

I'm pulling for the Bears and obviously the Giants vs. the Niners tomorrow. A two-game lead in the conference and a three-game lead in the division would look awfully good. At Detroit followed by at NY Giants looks like a tough stretch right now for the Packers.

mraynrand
11-13-2011, 06:22 AM
You American Footballers are so unusual.

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/02/07/108842322_wide.jpg?t=1312424065&s=3

Upnorth
11-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Speaking of scheduling issues, the 49ers have 3 big games left on their schedual, today at giants, couple of weeks then at bal then couple weels and home with pitt. Their other 5 games are nfcw games. The niners are playing like bizzaro packers. Run the ball stop the run. Assuming the niners are real, and at 7-1 they look it, they should finish at 13-3 or 12-4 and probably get the bye week. The packs style of play is better suited to socal in jan thean lambeau. Is getting home field advantage through the playoffs a disadvantage for this team?

Joemailman
11-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Speaking of scheduling issues, the 49ers have 3 big games left on their schedual, today at giants, couple of weeks then at bal then couple weels and home with pitt. Their other 5 games are nfcw games. The niners are playing like bizzaro packers. Run the ball stop the run. Assuming the niners are real, and at 7-1 they look it, they should finish at 13-3 or 12-4 and probably get the bye week. The packs style of play is better suited to socal in jan thean lambeau. Is getting home field advantage through the playoffs a disadvantage for this team?

San Francisco isn't exactly SoCal. The possibility of playing a game there on a windy, rainy day is a real possibility. That could hamper the Packers passing game as much or more than cold weather. Screw the weather. The Packers haven't lost a game in almost a year. They can play in any weather.

Pugger
11-13-2011, 09:11 AM
I thought Rodgers played pretty well in that monsoon in SD last Sunday. It's a wonder there weren't fumbles galore that day.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm pulling for the Bears and obviously the Giants vs. the Niners tomorrow. A two-game lead in the conference and a three-game lead in the division would look awfully good. At Detroit followed by at NY Giants looks like a tough stretch right now for the Packers.

The packers are going to lose 0, 1 or 2 games this season. no reason to care how other teams do.

CaliforniaCheez
11-13-2011, 09:37 AM
It is no fair that they get a 10 day break after that stretch to prepare for a big game with the Giants.

It isn't fair that the Packers with 6 wins already in the conference could up it by 50% getting to 9 conference wins in such a short time and going from 8 wins to 11 so quickly.

CaliforniaCheez
11-13-2011, 09:46 AM
The packers are going to lose 0, 1 or 2 games this season. no reason to care how other teams do.

Home Field advantage is important financially to the Packers. You ought to be cheering for the Giants to beat the 49'ers, the Bears to beat the Lions and the Falcons to beat the Saints.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Home Field advantage is important financially to the Packers. You ought to be cheering for the Giants to beat the 49'ers, the Bears to beat the Lions and the Falcons to beat the Saints.

i suppose i should care, but it is all too distant. the deck is going to be shuffled again. I don't care that much if the packer have to play one away game during playoffs, game will show up on my tv set either way. and i certainly give zero hoot about financial difference of one extra game.

I'd like packers to win at least 12 games, and that is in the bag

love your logo, but u r 1 r short

ps. if u redo logo, I recommend inserting a capital R

MadtownPacker
11-13-2011, 10:22 AM
San Francisco isn't exactly SoCal. The possibility of playing a game there on a windy, rainy day is a real possibility. That could hamper the Packers passing game as much or more than cold weather. Screw the weather. The Packers haven't lost a game in almost a year. They can play in any weather.
The way the SD game looked last Sunday was exactly like SF. Was some untypical rain running thru the state last week otherwise it would have be a nice, sunny day.

One of the @ SF games (2002 think) I went to had strong rain and wind but it didnt slow things down much. The late January NFCC cold of GB would probably casue more problem. Like lots of things from SF, the weather is soft too.

MadtownPacker
11-13-2011, 10:25 AM
love your logo, but u r 1 r short

ps. if u redo logo, I recommend inserting a capital R
Go to hell, nitpicking bitch!!

If I recall correctly (which I might not) you didnt like me capitalizing the R on the logo.

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2011, 10:41 AM
ahh, so you are the dope who made that mispelled logo. Your ESL night classes are not sticking, but props for that B in spanish

MadtownPacker
11-13-2011, 10:53 AM
ahh, so you are the dope who made that mispelled logo. Your ESL night classes are not sticking, but props for that B in spanish
I didnt make his logo because if I did I would be a picture of someone pissing on you.

Speaking of you and your demands, I went ahead and made the place a prison like you suggested. Trying logging off and viewing the forum. Do you like how you can see the threads but cant read unless registered?

Harlan Huckleby
11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
ah yes, perfect. just like a lady showing some leg, but no higher til they buy dinner and pass test. you always were a tease

Hopefully some people will sign up. I doubt anybody who leaves was a prospect for joining anyway

TennesseePackerBacker
11-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Are you two lovers finished?

Fritz
11-13-2011, 11:34 AM
And like any kids, we don't want to hear your moaning and thrashing. It might damage our fragile psyches.

RashanGary
11-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Didn't the pack do this last year with a 3 games in 12 days? I also believe they won all three of those. I don't think it's the best of idea's to do this, but it's bound to happen and I like seeing the pack challanged. The tougher challanges we have now, the better prepared we will be come January.

Yeah, at it seems like the simpler the Packers scheme is, the better they play. For those short weeks, especially the Detroit week, they're going to have to do what they do. They could get in a groove.

Joemailman
11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
In 2009, they won 3 in a row on Sun/Sun/Thu. Didn't have a Thursday game last year.

RashanGary
11-13-2011, 05:17 PM
It's a tough stretch, but when you take out a lot of the practice time and workout time, they probably won't be too much more warn down than usual. And then they get three extra days rest after the Thanksgiving day game. I don't know that it's that big of a disadvantage. Instead of practicing in pads, they're playing in pads. The Lions have to get ready on a short week too.

Packers4Glory
11-13-2011, 05:30 PM

meh I wanted Detroit to win considering we still have 2 against them.