PDA

View Full Version : The reason for front loading all the contracts this year??!?

Partial
08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Dwight Freeney? :shock:

Packnut
08-15-2006, 03:20 PM

We can only hope and pray TT has thought of it.

billy_oliver880
08-15-2006, 03:27 PM

What? :neutral:

Pack0514
08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
:shock:

Does TT have testicles needed to pull that off?

:shock:

Partial
08-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Well, he's sure as hell gone from Indy. No way can they afford to resign him. You could get him for Favre's salary once Favre is gone.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Well, he's sure as hell gone from Indy. No way can they afford to resign him. You could get him for Favre's salary once Favre is gone.

Is Dwight Freeney a FA in 2011? :mrgreen:

Partial
08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Sad thing is they have all this money this year, and give Hawk's big hit next year. I don't know that they'd be able to swing it. If only though, he'll probably be the biggest impact player for a team to let contract expire in sometime. Indy could try franchising him, but I think he'd be pissed and would hold out. It is going to cost a LOT. Like the richest contract in the NFL ever, but the dude wins you 2-3 more games a year alone. KGB would be ridiculously more effect off the edge. They'd get a ton of pressure, which is more important than the sack in my opinion.

red
08-15-2006, 03:51 PM
we could afford him even without favre being gone

we have gobs of cap space with on without favre

i think you're overvaluing him. he's good, but richest contract ever? come one

if someones dumb enough to pay one guy that much money, then i pray to god its NOT us

Partial
08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
we could afford him even without favre being gone

we have gobs of cap space with on without favre

Not necessarily. I am no Patler, but we should have about 8 million free now with Hawk making the minimum? (Patler a little help here please :wink:) We also have 8 million in dead space thisy ear. That's 16 million going in next season. Hawk is going to gobble up 11 million of that next year in a roster bonus. Kampman, Pickett and Woodson's cap numbers should all drop.

In summary, we're looking at about 8 million free assuming we keep everyone we have now. That isn't going to be enough to get Freeney. Maybe if you backloaded it (which my not be a bad idea).

sepporepi
08-15-2006, 03:59 PM
The reason for front loading all the contracts this year??!?

I think the only reason is that the money was there. So spend it now and we will have more available next year. I doubt he has a specific player in mind he want to spend the money on next year, since too much can change: players resigned during the saeson or cut afterwards.

jack's smirking revenge
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Wow, Hawk's eating 11mil next year? That's nutz (and not the deputy). ;-)

It'd be nice if we could make that happen, but I can't see TT breaking the bank on a single free agent. He wasn't this year and I just don't see it happening next.

tyler

sepporepi
08-15-2006, 04:01 PM
So spend it now and we will have more available next year

Damn it doesn't work this way with my money :mrgreen:

red
08-15-2006, 04:01 PM
the cap is expaected to go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up next season, i've seen a jump of anywhere from 7 million, to 20 million

guys like woodson i think are front loaded a lot, that should about offset the hawk hit right there

KGB WILL BE GONE. his last deal was suppose to be in reality a 3 year deal, and then he was suppose to be cut or have his deal redone. i think we are now in year 5. he was never suppose to see the giant amounts of money he's seeing now, someone f'ed up big

we have a lot of dead cap space counting against us this year, that won't be there next year

patler should know for sure, but i'm pretty sure that we will have a ton, just like we did this year

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 04:27 PM
If we keep this up, Patler's head's not gonna fit through the door... :wink: :lol:

ND72
08-15-2006, 09:03 PM
please correct me if i'm wrong...but isn't this the final year of brett's contract?

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Brett's under contract until 2011.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2001/03/03-02.html

ND72
08-15-2006, 09:14 PM
AH...i misunderstood somethign on the radio today then..

I thought he was signed for life, but just checking

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 09:16 PM
But wouldn't it be wild if he played out the contract... :razz:

ND72
08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
HA.......um, i donno bout that.

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I meant, of course, played it out at a pro-bowl level. :oops:

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 09:32 PM
AH...i misunderstood somethign on the radio today then..

I thought he was signed for life, but just checking

Signed for life,mmmmm.

This looks like his last year then.

Patler
08-15-2006, 09:33 PM
I've been gone all day and am just getting caught up on the threads. Wow, Busy day on here!

I read once that the cap in 2007 has been a negotiated amount, already determined, to give everyone a chance to understand the effects of the new TV contracts kicking in. 2008 is now supposed to be the year for the big jump. Some are saying as high as $130 million.

Hawke's bonus will only count completely against the 2007 cap if the Packers want it to. If they decide they want more cap space next year, they can do one of two things. They can guarantee the roster bonus, which then spreads it over the remaining life of the contract (this is a very common practice). I believe they also can choose to guarantee a portion of it. Alternatively, they can choose not to pay the bonus, in which case Hawk's salaries go up from around $3 million for 2007-2010 to about $14 million, and the salaries become guaranteed. They don't lose his rights by not paying the bonus. It's a very interesting and very flexible arrangement..

The Packers cap should be in good shape next year. Woodson, Kampman and Pickett all had significant front loaded bonuses. I expect each will have a base salary higher than this year, but its likely their cap numbers will go down. If I get a chance, I will try to calculate how much.

Dead money in 2006 includes Walker at $855,000, Murphy at $1,180,000 Diggs at $912,500 and Hunt at $3,600,000. There is always some dead money, but unless something really unforseen happens, I wouldn't expect anything big in 2007. KGB would have to be cut THIS year for the cap hit to be big in 2007. The year they are cut they count only the pro-rated portion The balance is then due the following year, if they are released after June 1.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I meant, of course, played it out at a pro-bowl level. :oops:

Charmin Gal.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
I've been gone all day and am just getting caught up on the threads. Wow, Busy day on here!

I read once that the cap in 2007 has been a negotiated amount, already determined, to give everyone a chance to understand the effects of the new TV contracts kicking in. 2008 is now supposed to be the year for the big jump. Some are saying as high as $130 million.

Hawke's bonus will only count completely against the 2007 cap if the Packers want it to. If they decide they want more cap space next year, they can do one of two things. They can guarantee the roster bonus, which then spreads it over the remaining life of the contract (this is a very common practice). I believe they also can choose to guarantee a portion of it. Alternatively, they can choose not to pay the bonus, in which case Hawk's salaries go up from around $3 million for 2007-2010 to about $14 million, and the salaries become guaranteed. They don't lose his rights by not paying the bonus. It's a very interesting and very flexible arrangement..

The Packers cap should be in good shape next year. Woodson, Kampman and Pickett all had significant front loaded bonuses. I expect each will have a base salary higher than this year, but its likely their cap numbers will go down. If I get a chance, I will try to calculate how much.

Dead money in 2006 includes Walker at $855,000, Murphy at $1,180,000 Diggs at $912,500 and Hunt at $3,600,000. There is always some dead money, but unless something really unforseen happens, I wouldn't expect anything big in 2007. KGB would have to be cut THIS year for the cap hit to be big in 2007. The year they are cut they count only the pro-rated portion The balance is then due the following year, if they are released after June 1.

It seems to me from that. We are in excellent shape CAP wise for OUR future.

Thanks Patler.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH FOR 2006 !!

digitaldean
08-15-2006, 10:09 PM
KGB WILL BE GONE. his last deal was suppose to be in reality a 3 year deal, and then he was suppose to be cut or have his deal redone. i think we are now in year 5. he was never suppose to see the giant amounts of money he's seeing now, someone f'ed up big

We can thank Shermy the "GENIUS GM" for that. :mad:

Patler
08-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Woodson, Kampman and Pickett all had significant front loaded bonuses. I expect each will have a base salary higher than this year, but its likely their cap numbers will go down. If I get a chance, I will try to calculate how much.

Kampman's cap hit goes from $6 million in 2006 to $4 million in 2007.
Woodson goes from $6.7 million to $3.5 million.
Pickett I'm not sure about, but it looks like about $1 million decrease, too

So that's about $6 million cap space generated from those three to offset increases for the 2006 rookie class.

I'm not 100% sure about Favre, because there are a lot of different numbers reported for him as to bonus money still to be accounted for. Depending on the numbers you take, his cap effect could be anywhere from about $1.5 million less than it is this year to about $600,000 more than this year.

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Ok, so average it out and Favre costs $1,050,000 less.

sepporepi
08-16-2006, 02:59 AM
Ok, so average it out and Favre costs $1,050,000 less.

Not :mrgreen: .

(-1.500.000+600,000)/2= -450.000.

So assuming both scenarios have the same probability the expectancy value is $450.000 less than last year.

Not, that it is important, but could't resist :roll: