PDA

View Full Version : The Packers and penalties under McCarthy

hoosier
11-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I have not seen much discussion in Packer media about the turnaround in penalty tendencies that McCarthy has engineered over the last year and a half. In 2007, 08 and 09 the Packers were either second to last or dead-assed last in penalty yards against. McCarthy was frequently quoted as being unconcerned about many of the post-snap penalties, which he saw as evidence of an aggressiveness he wanted to encourage. Last year they transformed themselves from worst to fourth best. This year they are third best in penalty yardage assessed against. My guess would be that the major improvements have come on special teams (they no longer get socked with three illegal use of hands penalities per game) and the secondary. From what I can see, the overall "aggressiveness" of those units has not suffered from the increase in disciplined play.

My biggest reservation about McCarthy to date has been about the way he puts together his coaching staff. When coaches working with under-performing units (OL, ST) get retained and promoted it makes one wonder whether the HC puts too much premium on loyalty and not enough on accountability. But now, looking at the dramatic turnaround the team has made with penalties, I am wondering if I was mistaken. Maybe McCarthy is actually a master at analyzing his own weaknesses and transforming them.

HarveyWallbangers
11-14-2011, 01:15 PM
McCarthy needs a cool nickname--like Hoody.

MadScientist
11-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't mind a couple of penalties on the secondary if they would actually cover the receivers and make the occasional stop on 3rd down.

gbgary
11-14-2011, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't mind a couple of penalties on the secondary if they would actually cover the receivers and make the occasional stop on 3rd down.

they DO make the occasional stop on 3rd down...occasionally.

pbmax
11-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Don't be tempted by that trade off. Woodson tried it versus the Chargers and almost let them back into the game.

pbmax
11-14-2011, 02:10 PM

What's wrong with Stubby?

MadScientist
11-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Don't be tempted by that trade off. Woodson tried it versus the Chargers and almost let them back into the game.

I did use the conditional that they had to cover receivers and make stops, which they weren't doing against SD. A couple of years ago, the DB's would get the occasional holding penalty, but would cover and get off the field. Now, unless there is a pick, they get off the field after the other guys get a score.

mraynrand
11-14-2011, 02:51 PM
What's wrong with Stubby?

I approve

vince
11-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Sloth
http://cheeseheadtv.com/eat_more_cheese/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/mm-150x120.jpghttp://in-this-economy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/lazyeye.jpg

Fritz
11-14-2011, 04:28 PM

But we don't really know if he's circumcised or not, do we?

Smeefers
11-14-2011, 05:42 PM
But we don't really know if he's circumcised or not, do we?

Hence, stubby.

yooperfan
11-17-2011, 11:10 AM
From the ESPN blog

Team Total Penalties Accepted Yards Lost
Detroit Lions 78 66 583
Minnesota Vikings 76 66 556
Chicago Bears 69 63 481
Green Bay Packers 54 44 320

It is a big turn around being top 5 in the league in fewest penalties last year and so far this year as opposed to
dead last a couple years ago.

bobblehead
11-17-2011, 12:29 PM
If anything officiating has been biased TOWARDS us this season. Its amazing how much reputation carries with officials who should be calling a game straight up.

mission
11-17-2011, 09:22 PM
If anything officiating has been biased TOWARDS us this season. Its amazing how much reputation carries with officials who should be calling a game straight up.

Agreed. I always used to think that the officials had it out for us. Now, this year, it seems we get the calls the championship teams get. NFL aiding an amazing product - gotta love it!

Fritz
11-17-2011, 10:16 PM
All hail the Stubster!