PDA

View Full Version : PackerRat Brew

Freak Out
11-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Ok...so I'm going to brew a new batch of beer next week and I want you beer drinkers to throw out some ideas for styles and ingredients. It's getting cold so I'm thinking an old ale or a Barleywine but it doesn't matter.

When it's ready I'll bottle it, and send some to a few locations so we can get together for a game (playoff?) and drink it up.

mraynrand
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
nice

red
11-14-2011, 05:41 PM
i can't help. i've screwed up my last 3 batches

a breakfast stout sounds good though

or just man up and go for the belgian double or quad

Freak Out
11-14-2011, 05:51 PM
I just finished a nice coffee/milk stout that turned out really nice (bottle)...and a Citra Hop pale is in the keg. I'm thinking a smokey porter or a dark amber/holiday ale. A Belgian Christmas beer would be cool.

red
11-14-2011, 05:56 PM
do you use anyone to get all your stuff?

northern brewer has some nice kits. i usually use then if i'm lazy and don't want to think too much

that coffe/milk stout sounds pretty good right now

Freak Out
11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I get most of my ingredients (grain) from a local commercial brewer I will leave nameless. I buy some things from a local homebrew supply on occasion, and order stuff from dealers on Amazon and Northern Brewer. I can buy just about any commercial yeast I need locally or I get it from other brewers around town. I end up using the "Edinburgh" strain in most of my beer....but brew Saison and other Belgian styles on occasion.

MJZiggy
11-14-2011, 06:37 PM
I get most of my ingredients (grain) from a local commercial brewer I will leave nameless. I buy some things from a local homebrew supply on occasion, and order stuff from dealers on Amazon and Northern Brewer. I can buy just about any commercial yeast I need locally or I get it from other brewers around town. I end up using the "Edinburgh" strain in most of my beer....but brew Saison and other Belgian styles on occasion.

Belgian white? I don't know what I'm talking about though. Can you make something like Chimay?

Freak Out
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
I can try. :) But it's hard to duplicate a classic. I like to experiment though and there are lots of ways to brew a Belgian style.....but I'm not a monk so it won't be a Trappist. :)

red
11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Belgian white? I don't know what I'm talking about though. Can you make something like Chimay?

thats what i'm talking about. but chimay does not make a belgian white

chimay sticks to the very classic trappist brews

double
triple
and quad

they also have a lighter brew that they don't let out of the monestary just like the other trappist brewers

IMHO, these (belgian trappist beers) are the greatest forms of beer in the world

red
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I can try. :) But it's hard to duplicate a classic. I like to experiment though and there are lots of ways to brew a Belgian style.....but I'm not a monk so it won't be a Trappist. :)

the number 8 from northern brewer is a pretty good attempt.

i also made one of my own that was a cross between a westmalle dubble and the westvleteren abt. and it was fantastic. i gave one to my priest uncle and knocked him silly with one beer. i think it was 11% abv

MadtownPacker
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
THC

Iron Mike
11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Copy this:

http://www.mammamiapizzabeer.com/main.php

Only make it taste like deep-fried cheese curds!!!

red
11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
THC

i've thought about trying that in place of hops

Zool
11-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Oatmeal creme stout? I'm on a stout kick lately. KBS has ruined me

Freak Out
11-15-2011, 11:00 AM
I just made a really nice coffee milk stout that had a little oatmeal in it....love stouts. I love barrel aged imperials...yum.

Freak Out
11-15-2011, 11:02 AM
A hit of some good bud during the boil would be cool....but the chance of a bunch of people failing drug tests is not cool. I'll make a batch of Imperial IPA later with some kind in it for a brave few.

MadtownPacker
11-15-2011, 12:00 PM
A hit of some good bud during the boil would be cool....but the chance of a bunch of people failing drug tests is not cool. I'll make a batch of Imperial IPA later with some kind in it for a brave few.

Go away cop!!

Fucking piss holding, drug testing mfer!!

mraynrand
11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
I just made a really nice coffee milk stout that had a little oatmeal in it....love stouts. I love barrel aged imperials...yum.

A stout is a great choice for a morning tailgate before a 12 noon kickoff. Been drinking these. A bit lighter than your typical stout, but you can drink a couple and still drive -

http://bellavinoathens.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/BlackoutStout_BottleGlass-great-lakes.jpg