PDA

View Full Version : The OL after the Minnesota game

Guiness
11-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Various musing on the OL.

I wonder if there's any chance Bulaga gets moved over to LT? Is Newhouse just there keeping the spot warm for Clifton later this year (fingers crossed) and Sherrod next year?

Lang had a decent game last night, but he was victimized by Allen, or maybe the blocking assignment at least once. On one of the plays where Allen was moved inside, Lang and Newhouse both seemed like they were trying to block the DE, and Allen got through pretty much untouched from the DT position. I wondered if Lang was assigned to help with the DE, but they didn't make an adjustment when Allen moved inside?

What was up with Dietrich-Smith in at center? I didn't notice when he went in, might have been as early as the 3rd quarter? Was Wells hurt, or were they getting DS some reps? A lot of posters here are saying re-signing Wells is a priority, but he is getting old, and they may be taking DS for a test drive.

Sitton had a bad night. He also got in a scuffle, maybe taking out some frustrations.

Harlan Huckleby
11-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I thought Newhouse played OK. Hard to say, you really have to watch him on every play.

Zool
11-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Newhouse got fooled a lot by late evolving stunts. The tackle would engage Lang then Allen would run around behind while Newhouse stood there wondering what to do.

Upnorth
11-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Newhouse got fooled a lot by late evolving stunts. The tackle would engage Lang then Allen would run around behind while Newhouse stood there wondering what to do.

That is what I noticed. Allen beat Newhouse straight around a couple of times early, then Newhouse adjusted, so they started stunting Allen inside and Newhouse was lost again.

pbmax
11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
McCarthy also had a lot of two TEs in the 2nd half. Harder to hide a stunt when you line up outside the TE and need to get back around the DT.

smuggler
11-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I think it was a coaches decision on EDS/Wells. They might just be giving him some rest in a blowout because he is a little older. Or, maybe they switched to EDS because Flynn came in and they work together with the second team.

Deputy Nutz
11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Allen got got great jumps off the line, he is so tough if you the left tackle doesn't have good quick feet and Newhouse doesn't. Hard to tell how good Clifton would do at his age against Jerrod Allen, but Newhouse got his lunch served. Great game plan by the Vikings coaching staff on defense. Their front seven are pretty good, defense line is always better than good. Vikings secondary was terrible as usual.

The Packers passed a lot compared to the number of times they ran the ball while the game still mattered, so you are going to see more pressures and sacks, but this offensive line is average at best.

Noodle
11-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Good thread. More so than the defense, I worry about the OL. Last week, the Chargers rushed 4 and got home. This week, the Vikes did the same. What is really problematic is that a lot of the pressure has come from up the middle, collapsing the pocket and causing all sorts of mayhem.

And that's just pass pro -- the run blocking has been worse, far worse.

Newhouse, after initially looking ok, is looking well below average. Lang looks about average to below average. Wells looks ok to good, though you have to wonder if some of those inside pressures are his fault. Sitton, coming off a great year, has been disappointing at average to below average. Bulaga is the lone star, in my view.

When we get beat, the OL will be the reason.

pbmax
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Allen got got great jumps off the line, he is so tough if you the left tackle doesn't have good quick feet and Newhouse doesn't. Hard to tell how good Clifton would do at his age against Jerrod Allen, but Newhouse got his lunch served. Great game plan by the Vikings coaching staff on defense. Their front seven are pretty good, defense line is always better than good. Vikings secondary was terrible as usual.

The Packers passed a lot compared to the number of times they ran the ball while the game still mattered, so you are going to see more pressures and sacks, but this offensive line is average at best.

Well your read on him is bad news, because his feet are supposed to be his best trait as an O lineman.

Upnorth
11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I dont think an average Oline could exist with an offence this good. Line play has a massive impact on quality of overall offence. We pass great and run okay when we need to. I think this Oline has to be in the top 8 to 10 of the league, if not better.

Deputy Nutz
11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Sitton is getting beat up the middle either by the blitz or guessing wrong instead of using his technique.

Deputy Nutz
11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
I dont think an average Oline could exist with an offence this good. Line play has a massive impact on quality of overall offence. We pass great and run okay when we need to. I think this Oline has to be in the top 8 to 10 of the league, if not better.

I disagree, offensive line play is overrated in the passing game, if you have an accurate passer that doesn't get rattled by the pressure he is going to make more plays especially with the Packers downfield approach to their passing game. This offensive line is covered up by the play of the QB and receivers.

Guiness
11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Makes sense that they would put EDS in with Flynn to cut down on the possibility of problems with the exchange. I did notice a couple of high snaps in the shotgun.

pbmax
11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Sitton is getting beat up the middle either by the blitz or guessing wrong instead of using his technique.

He is battling a leg injury of some sort I believe.

AtlPackFan
11-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Is Sitton hurt or at least really banged up? It seems he has taken a drastic step back?

pbmax
11-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Is Sitton hurt or at least really banged up? It seems he has taken a drastic step back?

He has missed practice on a couple of occasions and I want to say I read it was his knee. kind of thing that is not severe, but limiting apparently.

Harlan Huckleby
11-15-2011, 05:04 PM
That is what I noticed. Allen beat Newhouse straight around a couple of times early, then Newhouse adjusted, so they started stunting Allen inside and Newhouse was lost again.

ya, i saw that, I'm not sure he was newhouse's responsibilities when he went inside.

it's not like Rodgers spent the whole night on his butt, the sacks were coverage sacks.

I just had different impression of the game, the O-line was not overwhelmed, they did OK against superior talent

MadScientist
11-15-2011, 05:08 PM
From MM's presser - Clifton may be back for the Giants game. That would be huge against their front four.

Freak Out
11-15-2011, 05:17 PM
I disagree, offensive line play is overrated in the passing game, if you have an accurate passer that doesn't get rattled by the pressure he is going to make more plays especially with the Packers downfield approach to their passing game. This offensive line is covered up by the play of the QB and receivers.

This....Rodgers makes the line look better than it is. Did he ever have a solid pocket to step up into? I don't remember seeing one. He is just playing at another level....and the receivers sure don't suck. :)

Fritz
11-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Have you people learned nothing the past few years? It's the pad level.

mraynrand
11-15-2011, 05:53 PM
ya, i saw that, I'm not sure he was newhouse's responsibilities when he went inside.

it's not like Rodgers spent the whole night on his butt, the sacks were coverage sacks.

I just had different impression of the game, the O-line was not overwhelmed, they did OK against superior talent

I somewhat agree. Newhouse wasn't terrible. Starks blew a couple pick ups that made the protection look worse

Freak Out
11-15-2011, 06:28 PM
I went back and watched some more highlights....on the post TD to Jennings a pocket was forming and there was no push up the middle. I feel better.

Noodle
11-15-2011, 09:53 PM
Don't chill too much, Freak. I think that was a playaction call, which often, though not always, slows the rush down a little and provides a body, the RB, to get in the way of the interior push.

On straight drop backs, things were kind of brutal out there as far as the OL goes.

RashanGary
11-15-2011, 10:17 PM
On the bright side of things. . . . Is there a younger OL in the NFL?

Newhouse 23
Lang 24
Sitton 25
Bulaga 22
Wells 30

They average 24.8 years.

We'll see how they meld together down the stretch. Jared Allen is awesome. Newhouse got a schooling. With the way Newhouse has been bounced around, the way he got tossed into LT a few weeks ago. . . . I'm not convinced this is the best he's going to be. He looked unsure, outclassed. When he's on, when his head isn't spinning, his sets look fine. It looked like he wast lost. Allen was mixing it up, setting it up, Newhouse didn't have an answer and when he did, it would all change. Hopefully he can use this as a reminder to stay true to his fundamentals. If he's playing his game, he's shown the talent. This will give him some motivation to really study those stunts. Both Newhouse and Lang are young, both in age and experience. Those two are going to be doing a lot of talking the next few weeks.

Noodle
11-15-2011, 10:29 PM
Good point, JH, but as Patler would observe, this just means they'll do all their developing, or not, under the tutelage of Jimmy Campen.

Maybe we could send them all abroad for a year to get some good schoolin'.

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Just rewatched the game. I thought Newhouse was pretty good in the second half, and I didn't see the Packers giving him a ton of help.

Bretsky
11-15-2011, 11:56 PM
On one hand I'm optimistic because I see signs that Newhouse can be a serviceable starter in the NFL.....................just not now

Bring back Cliffy; I'd like to see him in full strength for the Lions game

pbmax
11-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Wells is 30? Time to Logan's Run him.

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 08:53 AM
Newhouse was beat early, solidified, then got beat late. He play most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters very well. Also the late sucsess Starks had running the ball had Newhouse getting in some great blocking which would not happen with Cliffy (i hate to say it).
Newhouse did very well in the SD game and has become very important in the lineup.

denverYooper
11-16-2011, 10:48 AM
On one hand I'm optimistic because I see signs that Newhouse can be a serviceable starter in the NFL.....................just not now

Bring back Cliffy; I'd like to see him in full strength for the Lions game

I'm a little more concerned about the interior for that game. They've got some hell at DT and GB has been letting up some pressure inside the last two weeks.

sharpe1027
11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure the line isn't doing better than what they are getting credit for in this thread. People are going to get to Rodgers when we throw the ball as much as we do. It is easy to remember all the mistakes and forget all the successes.

If the defense fails to get to the QB, many people complain that they did a poor job because pressure is expected. On the other side, if our offense gives up any pressure, many people complain because no pressure is expected. ;)

Rodgers is far from getting killed back and there is no way they can throw the ball as much as they do without someone getting to him sooner or later. I think the O-line is playing pretty well. Few penalties, few flat out whiffs, enough protection to have the best passing game in the league. Give them some credit.

I think Cliffy gets inserted as soon as he is healthy, but he may probably will not make it through the rest of the season without getting hurt again.

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure the line isn't doing better than what they are getting credit for in this thread. People are going to get to Rodgers when we throw the ball as much as we do. It is easy to remember all the mistakes and forget all the successes.

If the defense fails to get to the QB, many people complain that they did a poor job because pressure is expected. On the other side, if our offense gives up any pressure, many people complain because no pressure is expected. ;)

Rodgers is far from getting killed back and there is no way they can throw the ball as much as they do without someone getting to him sooner or later. I think the O-line is playing pretty well. Few penalties, few flat out whiffs, enough protection to have the best passing game in the league. Give them some credit.

I think Cliffy gets inserted as soon as he is healthy, but he may probably will not make it through the rest of the season without getting hurt again.

I agree, also we are running more efficently than last year which is important. I say we have a top 8 to 10 line.

gbgary
11-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Good thread.

thank you!