PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Saine might see more playing time

HarveyWallbangers
11-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I liked this guy in the preseason.

The coach did hint at one possible tweak, however. With Grant stuck in neutral, maybe rookie Brandon Saine gets his chance soon.

"It's important to have a tandem of running backs," McCarthy said. "It's a long year, that's a very physically demanding position, and even adding to that, you have Ryan and James, but I really like the way Brandon's come on. I mean, he's been very impressive in practice and we're going to start using him some, hopefully as we move forward. So it's important to have all those guys ready."

Brandon494
11-15-2011, 11:43 PM
I believe the guy ran a 4.3 40 time at the combine.

Bretsky
11-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Not too many in the Grant is a top 10 RB group anymore

RashanGary
11-16-2011, 08:03 AM
4.32 and 4.53. They call him 4.40.

5'11"
220 lbs

Pretty good agility and explosiveness. . . . Athletically, there's a very high ceiling. Then there's the whole matter of playing football. . . .

Alex Green is a similar athlete, and is nifty as all hell on the field. He sets up his blocks, breaks tackles and makes guys miss. Saine might not be able to do all that, but if he can hit the right seam, he's big and fast . . . . Who knows. His football skills are really a complete unknown at this point. MM likes him. That's a good sign in my book.

pbmax
11-16-2011, 08:06 AM
I am still enjoying the buzz from Starks running Monday.

RashanGary
11-16-2011, 08:09 AM

He does look like the perfect fit. . . . He gets those extra 2 yards Grant doesn't. Since the really bad week he had earlier in the season he's had a good balance of patience and decisiveness. With Grant pretty much done, Starks looks like just what the GM ordered.

It would be nice if Saine could get going. I like the 2 headed attack. Starks looks so strong out there. Would he be that strong with another 80 carries? It helps.

gbgary
11-16-2011, 01:05 PM
mm showing confidence in saine.

SaladFinger
11-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I would like to see him get a shot.... Let him take Grants place for a week and see what happens, maybe he wont fall down as soon as someone touches him.

gbgary
11-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I would like to see him get a shot.... Let him take Grants place for a week and see what happens, maybe he wont fall down as soon as someone touches him.

he hasn't been that bad. last week definitly wasn't good though. as i said minn strung out those lateral runs until there was nothing there. but yes it would be cool to see saine given some touches. hell, he may turn out to be our demarco murray.

SaladFinger
11-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I get the feeling they are trying to phase Grant out.. I really was hoping Alex Green would be turning it on by this time and everyone would forget about Grant.

MJZiggy
11-16-2011, 06:50 PM

I don't think he needs to take Grant's place outright, just give him a few carries in a game and see how he does. McCarthy's been pretty good of late going with the hot hand. If the kid can get hot when he gets his shot, he'll get more carries.

channtheman
11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Wait a second, Grant isn't an all pro? Someone tried to convince me in the "Alex Green on IR" thread that if we also lost Grant we would be screwed. Maybe not.

King Friday
11-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I'd love to see some speed come out of our backfield. Seine looked reasonable enough for a rook in preseason...and Grant looks like JAG at this point.

Pugger
11-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Let's see how Saine looks in the coming weeks before we all call for Grant's head. Grant had a couple of nice catches out the backfield the past couple of weeks...

Harlan Huckleby
11-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Wait a second, Grant isn't an all pro? Someone tried to convince me in the "Alex Green on IR" thread that if we also lost Grant we would be screwed. Maybe not.
i was more worried about Starks going down.

What do you suppose dropoff is from Green to Saine? I'm guessing quite a bit, but we don't know.

channtheman
11-17-2011, 10:47 AM

I went back and watched the Chargers game on Tuesday and he had a sweet 20 yard run up the middle where he just kept going after contact. I love watching Starks run when he is decisive.

channtheman
11-17-2011, 10:51 AM
i was more worried about Starks going down.

What do you suppose dropoff is from Green to Saine? I'm guessing quite a bit, but we don't know.

Ahh, I see. Yes a Starks injury would hurt much more it looks like.

Alex Green to Saine, I don't know. Green seemed to have great vision in the open field (very small sample size, I recall one screen pass that he took to the endzone, might have even been a preseason game). I think as long as Starks is healthy we are okay. Even if Starks got hurt though, we don't need a lot of production from the running game. For what it's worth (running the ball to keep the D honest) I think just calling a running play even if it gets only a couple of yards is enough for this offense.

Deputy Nutz
11-17-2011, 12:13 PM
At the beginning of the season I saw Grant and Starks as equals. Grant is floundering and it is amazing what leg injuries do to running backs, he isn't the same runner as he was in years past. Starks is working at getting better and is catching the ball out of the backfield with a little more ease. I agree you need two backs and going with Grant is pretty pointless right now, always build for the future and if Saine is showing more than Grant right now then he needs the playing time.

It is too bad that Green had to get hurt, because he would be #2 on the depth chart right now.

mraynrand
11-17-2011, 12:16 PM
How is he in pass pro? Definitely need Starks to get better at that or put someone in who can do it. Saine probably isn't that guy. But who knows?

vince
11-17-2011, 01:02 PM
I like the two-headed monster, even if Grant was pushed to the sideline consistently last game. Keep them both fresher as the games get bigger. If Saine can get some snaps and make some plays, all the better.

Zool
11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
If Saine and Green were neck and neck in the pre-season, Green would probably have gotten the automatic nod because of the draft position. Pure speculation on my part as I saw little to nothing of either of them.

denverYooper
11-17-2011, 05:01 PM
How is he in pass pro? Definitely need Starks to get better at that or put someone in who can do it. Saine probably isn't that guy. But who knows?

If McCarthy commented on how impressive he's been in practice, I would guess that means he's been doing well in pass pro. That seems to be his (M3's) top concern before letting backs work in games.

Guiness
11-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Grant hasn't been playing well, but I can't see how Green could possibly be even close to the #2 - his line for the season was 3 rushes for 11 yards with a long of 8! I doubt Saine will get any more touches than Green did, they'll be looking for his to play ST and be an emergency ball carrier...but I expect Kuhn would get carries before he did if Grant and Starks were unavailable.

I wonder if KR is a possibility for him? I hate seeing Cobb back there.

Fritz
11-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I agree Guiness. He'll do special teams work and maybe a few snaps in pass protection or an occasional down for an option sliding out of the backfield.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 12:22 AM
More (In)Saine Love

From Silverstein

Green Bay - Earlier in the week, without any solicitation, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy brought up rookie running back Brandon Saine's name.

McCarthy isn't prone to meaningless praise, so when he said he was looking to get Saine some action in the offense, it likely wasn't an idle proclamation.

To date, Saine has been limited to special teams, but since the day he signed as an undrafted free agent in August, he has raised an eyebrow or two inside the organization. When third-round pick Alex Green went on injured reserve three weeks ago, Saine was promoted from the practice squad and his opportunity to run the team's offense - and not that of that week's opponent - increased.

"He's impressive," running backs coach Jerry Fontenot said. "He's not going to get out of position (as a blocker). He's very efficient in his running skills. He's obviously got speed; he tested well at the combine. He's got all those things you want and he's not afraid to get in there and get his nose dirty."

Saine ran the 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds at the scouting combine at around 219 pounds, which is very impressive. However, he played more as a finesse back who was used all over the field and most scouts didn't project him as an every-down back.

But once he got into training camp, Saine picked up the Packers' offense quickly and showed more power than he had at Ohio State. When Green tore up his knee at Minnesota, Saine moved up the chain.

When Green got hurt, the coaches were looking for ways to get him the ball in specific situations, and now the same holds true for Saine. A more polished runner than Green, who played in a spread offense in college, Saine has very good hands and solid blocking ability, so he could see some time on third downs, possibly this Sunday against Tampa Bay.

Fontenot acknowledged that it would be tough to find a lot of snaps for Saine because of James Starks and Ryan Grant are ahead of him. The team remains committed to Grant, but given McCarthy's comments it's not hard to see that Saine will get a chance to show what he can do sometime soon.

Fontenot said he's excited to see, too.

"Yeah, absolutely, because most of what I've seen in live action has been in four-minute (run-out-the-clock time) in preseason games. He never ever really got a chance to open it up and see what he can do in down and distance and third down.

"It will be fun. I want to see him get a chance to open it up."

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2011, 08:15 AM
can't see how Green could possibly be even close to the #2 - his line for the season was 3 rushes for 11 yards with a long of 8!

rookies often play more later in the season. Not sure what conclusion can be drawn from those 3 carries.

Pugger
11-18-2011, 09:23 AM
I think it is great to have all these backs with different skills. I feel a heck of lot better when Grant is picking up blitzers than Starks and Grant is getting better catching passes out of the backfield. Starks runs with power and can break tackles better than Grant. If we can add Saine's speed to the mix that'll be great. Fresh legs late in the game can do wonders.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 09:41 AM
I think it is great to have all these backs with different skills. I feel a heck of lot better when Grant is picking up blitzers than Starks and Grant is getting better catching passes out of the backfield. Starks runs with power and can break tackles better than Grant. If we can add Saine's speed to the mix that'll be great. Fresh legs late in the game can do wonders.

How would we know this? Grant has all of 8 receptions on the year. Starks is already a much better receiver than Grant. Grant is good in blitz pickup, but Starks is getting better. I think the article in JSO hit the nail on the head. Time share in the regular season, but when the playoffs roll around, I'm betting Starks gets a much higher percentage of carries. I think they like Starks, but worry about his running style. He won't last long carrying the ball 300+ times/year.

Pugger
11-18-2011, 09:53 AM

How would we know this? Grant has all of 8 receptions on the year. Starks is already a much better receiver than Grant. Grant is good in blitz pickup, but Starks is getting better. I think the article in JSO hit the nail on the head. Time share in the regular season, but when the playoffs roll around, I'm betting Starks gets a much higher percentage of carries. I think they like Starks, but worry about his running style. He won't last long carrying the ball 300+ times/year.

How many catches has Grant had in the past seasons?

smuggler
11-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Not many. Anyway, he hasn't screwed us this year out of the backfield for the catch. I think Grant is fine. He doesn't need to be a pro-bowler for us to be successful

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Grant had one strong game, several decent games. I would say he has been disappointing, not successful. Not many carries, so can't say it is all his fault. He doesn't look able to break tackles, and I don't remember him playing so light in the past.

mission
11-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Grant had one strong game, several decent games. I would say he has been disappointing, not successful. Not many carries, so can't say it is all his fault. He doesn't look able to break tackles, and I don't remember him playing so light in the past.

I have no recollection of him breaking tackles. His long runs later in his first GB season were him finding a seam and hitting it hard.

SaladFinger
11-18-2011, 07:34 PM
The only bad scenario i can see with giving Saine a few snaps is the 2 or 3 impressive carries followed by the lost fumble syndrome....