PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Newhouse: Best Backup Tackle Since ...?

pbmax
11-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Excluding present roster (Sherrod this year and Bulaga last year), who in recent Packer history seems more capable than Newhouse?

He is a decent run blocker and is not a Moll/Barbre catastrophe at pass blocking at all. Plus he seems capable of playing right and left.

And is he the frontrunner for the coveted Bruce Wilkerson Thanks for Saving Our Ass award in 2011? Previous winners include Bruce Wilkerson, Ahman Green and Howard Green.

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Whose to say he is strickly a backup? Do you think when (if) Cliffy comes back he is that much better than Newhouse at this point at pass blocking?

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
The Cliffy vrs Newhouse choice will be tough call

Me, I'd alternate them and grade performance

pbmax
11-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Whose to say he is strickly a backup? Do you think when (if) Cliffy comes back he is that much better than Newhouse at this point at pass blocking?

Its a bit of a moving target, but with his struggles with Allen twice, I think Clifton definitely gets the call when healthy. So I think in his second year, he qualifies for backup status. I will miss his mobility run blocking. I think its no surprise that the Packers had success running right which meant Newhouse had cutoff blocks.

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2011, 09:01 AM
I think Newhouse did acceptable job with Allen, take 2

hoosier
11-16-2011, 09:20 AM
Do you count starters at other positions who have to fill in at LT when the regular goes down? If so, I would say best backup LT since Flanagan.

Brandon494
11-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Clifton will get the starting job back and it won't even be close. We are a passing team and Clifton is a far more better pass blocking tackle.

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Clifton will get the starting job back and it won't even be close. We are a passing team and Clifton is a far more better pass blocking tackle.

Better, yes, far more better, i dont think so. Before Cliffy went down, he was getting beat this year unlike last year. With a return from injury will he be as good as before the injury is the real question. If he is not playing up to preinjury level I would say Newhouse and Clifton would be very similar in pass rush, with Newhouse the clear winner in run blocking. Harlan's suggestion is the right one, let them compete and if there is an outstanding difference in pass blocking then go to Cliffy.

One last thought, we are getting into bad weather season when the run game means more, does this add to Newhouse's stock?

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
it won't even be close.

you know what I like about you?

not a goddamn thing.

Gunakor
11-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Chad Clifton stoned Jared Allen last season. Stopped him cold. Not a sack, not a goddamn tackle. If we are to measure our linemen against the best the NFL has to offer, Chad Clifton is very obviously the best left tackle on our roster. If he's healthy he starts. Newhouse is his backup.

sharpe1027
11-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Excluding present roster (Sherrod this year and Bulaga last year), who in recent Packer history seems more capable than Newhouse?

He is a decent run blocker and is not a Moll/Barbre catastrophe at pass blocking at all. Plus he seems capable of playing right and left.

And is he the frontrunner for the coveted Bruce Wilkerson Thanks for Saving Our Ass award in 2011? Previous winners include Bruce Wilkerson, Ahman Green and Howard Green.

Amazing job considering only a few years ago their experiments with Barbre as a starter were far far far far far far far far far worse.

On another note, it is an amazing coincidence that an award named "Bruce Wilkerson ..." was won by someone named Bruce Wilkerson. How often does that happen?

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Chad Clifton stoned Jared Allen last season. Stopped him cold. Not a sack, not a goddamn tackle. If we are to measure our linemen against the best the NFL has to offer, Chad Clifton is very obviously the best left tackle on our roster. If he's healthy he starts. Newhouse is his backup.

You are 100% correct for the 2010 season. Was clifton that dominante this year prior to injury?

Brandon494
11-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Has Newhouse been dominate to keep the starting job away from Clifton? The clear answer is no.

Brandon494
11-16-2011, 10:49 AM
you know what I like about you?

not a goddamn thing.

I don't mean to prove you wrong all the time on purpose, it just comes natural. :)

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 10:52 AM
So going back over the Mcginn ratings, against NO Clifton allowed 1 pressures and 2 against Car.
Newhouse has given up 1 to bronco's, 3 to SD. Allen and the Vikings is where it gets to him with 4 completley missed blocks in the first game and 1 pressure and 1 sack in this game.

With out factoring in run blocking, which may actually be important but I might be wrong, I don't see Clifton being [I]dominant[I] over Newhouse. Lets see how he comes back from injury before you crown him.

Gunakor
11-16-2011, 11:08 AM
You are 100% correct for the 2010 season. Was clifton that dominante this year prior to injury?

Aside from the more-frequent-than-I'd-like holding or false start penalty, he was pretty damn good this year until he got hurt. Not as dominant as he was in September 2010, but far better than Newhouse in November 2011.

pbmax
11-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Amazing job considering only a few years ago their experiments with Barbre as a starter were far far far far far far far far far worse.

On another note, it is an amazing coincidence that an award named "Bruce Wilkerson ..." was won by someone named Bruce Wilkerson. How often does that happen?

Its a rare honor, but Wilkerson ('96) deserved it. It was going to be named after Ryan Longwell ('97) until the Applebees comment.

Flanagan won the award in 2002 and it remains one of the most amazing accomplishments I have ever witnessed. You could make a strong case for him, though he was a starter at another position and in my mind that makes him ineligible.

My vote for the previous best backup is Barry Stokes. Eventually became a starter with the Browns I think.

pbmax
11-16-2011, 11:24 AM

Allen did have a sack in the game at the Dome, but no idea where he lined up on the play. Also had one QB hit in each game. Not bad by Cliffy, who clearly struggled at times last year.

Pugger
11-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Allen can make a lot of veteran tackles look bad but I would feel a lot better if Cliffy was in there on Thanksgiving and when we face the bares and Peppers again later on.

LEWCWA
11-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Cliffy is an old wiley vet and will nut it up for one last go around! When healthy he will be fresh and help this team finish strong. Newhouse is a young talented player, still going through some growing pains...teams have tape on him now and are exposing some of his weaknesses, but i'm sure in time he will adjust and improve. We have 2 capable guys right now with the hope that Sherrod won't be a bust. This team is in good position going foward.

Isn't it awsome that we are bitching about our OL, after putting up 45 points! What a problem to have,LOL.

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Cliffy is an old wiley vet and will nut it up for one last go around! When healthy he will be fresh and help this team finish strong. Newhouse is a young talented player, still going through some growing pains...teams have tape on him now and are exposing some of his weaknesses, but i'm sure in time he will adjust and improve. We have 2 capable guys right now with the hope that Sherrod won't be a bust. This team is in good position going foward.

Isn't it awsome that we are bitching about our OL, after putting up 45 points! What a problem to have,LOL.

1st world problems man. Its not just that we are bitching about our oline, we are bitching about whether one started is better than another, and both of them are quite good!
Ted for President!!! (But not till the packers have 7 sb's)

hoosier
11-16-2011, 01:21 PM
I just realized that there is actually a real backup--no starter switched over from another position here--in recent Packer history who is clearly better than Newhouse. It won't even be close, as Brandon would say. Mark Tauscher, who became a starter in the third game of his rookie season after Earl Dotson's bad back finally gave out on him. Problem is, Tauscher was so good that he made everyone forget he had been a backup.

gbgary
11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
The coveted Bruce Wilkerson Thanks for Saving Our Ass award in 2011. Previous winners include Bruce Wilkerson, Ahman Green and Howard Green.

this is great! you must start a thread with this. (i won't put a detour sign in the middle of this thread this time)

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
was Tootie Robbins a super sub?

pbmax
11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
I just realized that there is actually a real backup--no starter switched over from another position here--in recent Packer history who is clearly better than Newhouse. It won't even be close, as Brandon would say. Mark Tauscher, who became a starter in the third game of his rookie season after Earl Dotson's bad back finally gave out on him. Problem is, Tauscher was so good that he made everyone forget he had been a backup.

Tauscher is an excellent choice. I would give Newhouse an edge because he seemingly can play left and right, but he would need to play for quite a while to match Tasucher's impact as a starter. But he might log more meaningful time as a backup is Sherrod pans out.

mraynrand
11-16-2011, 03:13 PM

I think Clifton was a better backup - on the other side. He ended up starting 10 games in 2000 for Wahle, who was ineffective (calf strain?)

hoosier
11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
I think Clifton was a better backup - on the other side. He ended up starting 10 games in 2000 for Wahle, who was ineffective (calf strain?)

Nah, Clifton was a starter from the day he was drafted. They were just grooming him for the first half of the season. Tauscher, on the other hand, he was the Platonic Idea of the Backup. :-)

pbmax
11-16-2011, 03:30 PM

Nice choice as well, though like Tauscher, he spent an initial period as backup and then never again dropped in the depth chart.

And speaking of the O line in 2000, despite the fact that it had previously gone to seed in the couple of years prior, Ross Verba wasn't a bad player at all. He wasn't quite a left tackle, but a heck of a guard.

Tootie Robbins started 15 games in 92 and 11 in 1993 according to pro football reference. Packers.com has him on record for 27 games, so perhaps he missed one start?

pbmax
11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Nah, Clifton was a starter from the day he was drafted. They were just grooming him for the first half of the season. Tauscher, on the other hand, he was the Platonic Idea of the Backup. :-)

I remember becoming less and less concerned that Dotson get healthy fast. To the point where I was surprised to learn he was healthy.

pbmax
11-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Those pointing to improvement of Newhouse v Allen in the rematch have an ally in McGinn who said in today's paper: "On the other side Allen was double-teamed on 36% of dropbacks and didn't dominate Marshall Newhouse as he did in their first meeting."

Though I claim vindication that he got double team help in the second half.

mraynrand
11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
From McGinn also:

"When the Vikings came in status quo, they were stampeded out of Lambeau Field, 45-7. It was the most lopsided of the 102 games in the border series, surpassing the 35-point spread the Vikings imposed on the Packers (42-7) in September 1986 at the Metrodome.

In that game, quarterback Randy Wright fainted on the field during the game because of dehydration and had to be relieved by Vince Ferragamo, who after taking a few shots began calling some of his old plays from his days with the Los Angeles Rams."

Finally! Payback for the worst Packer loss I ever had to endure. "You saw it" encompassed the entire Forest Gregg press conference.

mraynrand
11-16-2011, 03:48 PM
"In that game, quarterback Randy Wright fainted on the field during the game because of naked fear and had to be relieved by Vince Ferragamo. Vince Ferragamo had to relieve himself."

Fixed

yooperfan
11-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Vince Ferragamo had to relieve himself.

Ahhhh.....Those were the days......Good times, Good times.

bobblehead
11-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm not on the Newhouse bandwagon to be honest. I think Kevin Barry was pretty close. I think Tony Moll wasn't that much worse. Newhouse can still improve, but right now, he isn't a quality LT in this league. He still needs to improve.

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm not on the Newhouse bandwagon to be honest. I think Kevin Barry was pretty close. I think Tony Moll wasn't that much worse. Newhouse can still improve, but right now, he isn't a quality LT in this league. He still needs to improve.

I think he could start with most teams in the league. My reasoning for this? He has not been mentioned by the main stream media when they are looking for holes in a 9-0 team. They are paid to give wild speculations, and I have not seen any since the week after Cliffy went down. That speaks more of Newhouses quality than virtually anything else.

Patler
11-16-2011, 05:08 PM
T.J. Lang in 2009, who also started games at both tackle positions.

Fritz
11-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Well, if you work it out, Vince Lombardi won the Vince Lombardi trophy twice...

pbmax
11-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Barry did not play left tackle but I think he did get a start or two for Tauscher. But I do not remember him playing well at all, except for U-71.

To quote KYPack, Moll was versatile, there were at least three positions he could not play on the offensive line. I think his best position was Guard.

pbmax
11-16-2011, 05:48 PM
T.J. Lang in 2009, who also started games at both tackle positions.

Good choice. Had to cover for Colledge at LT (after Clifton was injured) and Barbre when he proved incapable, until Tauscher's return.

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Those pointing to improvement of Newhouse v Allen in the rematch have an ally in McGinn who said in today's paper: "On the other side Allen was double-teamed on 36% of dropbacks and didn't dominate Marshall Newhouse as he did in their first meeting."

Though I claim vindication that he got double team help in the second half.

Which also seems to vindicate what I watched on the replay. Newhouse wasn't as bad as it appeared initially. Allen got in on several tackles when Newhouse had him blocked, but Rodgers got pressure up the middle and scrambled. Great hustle plays by Allen, but Newhouse was doing a decent job. He needs to learn to keep hitting Allen until the whistle though.

Bretsky
11-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Gotta love a thread where there is clearly an open bar and everybody is drunk on Kool Aide at the same time :)

Newhouse..........he's ok but he doesn't start for many teams.

Last year he wasn't qualified to carry Clifton's Jock strap. This year he is. I'm elated with his development but like bobble I think he has a ways to go

sharpe1027
11-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Well, if you work it out, Vince Lombardi won the Vince Lombardi trophy twice...

IDK, I think when Vince Lombardi won the trophy it was named something else and the first Vince Lombardi trophy wasn't until after he died.

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Gotta love a thread where there is clearly an open bar and everybody is drunk on Kool Aide at the same time :)

Last year he wasn't qualified to carry Clifton's Jock strap. This year he is. I'm elated with his development but like bobble I think he has a ways to go

I don't know. Remember the struggles of Bryan Bulaga last year? He struggled the first half of the season. At RT. Newhouse has a tougher assigment at LT. I just wonder if Newhouse were a 1st round pickw would we be giving him the benefit of the doubt more. Guy is starting for the first time. At LT. And he's holding his own. I like his upside. It also tells me something that he beat out a first round pick to earn the starting gig with Clifton out. I'm betting the coaches thought Sherrod would win that battle, and they gave him every chance to do so. Sure, Newhouse has been here a year, but he didn't get much playing time (if any).

MJZiggy
11-16-2011, 08:54 PM
IDK, I think when Vince Lombardi won the trophy it was named something else and the first Vince Lombardi trophy wasn't until after he died.

Don't be so literal or you kill all the humor.

pbmax
11-16-2011, 08:55 PM

Ergo, the thread. The fact that Marshall might compare somewhat favorably to Tauscher and Clifton (their first year), Lang, Flanagan (season at LT) and Verba at Tackle is pretty good company. Even if he only token starts like Barry Stokes, its miles better than previous incarnations.

And I might still give Newhouse some credit over Lang for the left side performance, as Lang did have his struggles on that side (with Allen in particular). However, Lang might have had to switch sides a couple different times that season. Newhouse switched once and got preseason reps at both edges.

Harlan Huckleby
11-16-2011, 09:00 PM
newhouse has really quick feet. he can run with DE after getting beat and turn disaster into near miss

newhouse dlooks a little light for the position, but no question he is athletic

Brandon494
11-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Also have to factor in that NFL teams had no training camp which I think really hurt rookies like Sherrod. Its pretty clear though if Clifton is healthy enough to play he'll get the start over Newhouse without any trouble. Its nice to know we have some depth at tackle though with Clifton entering maybe his final year.

Iron Mike
11-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Paging Tunch Ilkin, your Bruce Wilkerson award is awaiting you.....

smuggler
11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Meh, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Clifton will ride pine until they need to break the emergency glass.

bobblehead
11-17-2011, 06:13 AM
I don't know. Remember the struggles of Bryan Bulaga last year? He struggled the first half of the season. At RT. Newhouse has a tougher assigment at LT. I just wonder if Newhouse were a 1st round pickw would we be giving him the benefit of the doubt more. Guy is starting for the first time. At LT. And he's holding his own. I like his upside. It also tells me something that he beat out a first round pick to earn the starting gig with Clifton out. I'm betting the coaches thought Sherrod would win that battle, and they gave him every chance to do so. Sure, Newhouse has been here a year, but he didn't get much playing time (if any).

I don't disagree with most of this. I am not saying Newhouse isn't surprisingly effective. I am not saying he sucks. I am saying he wouldn't start for about 25 teams at LT right now. I can't say about RT for sure. He still has upside, and I hope he improves more. He at least fights and scraps which is very important for an OL.

Fritz
11-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Which also seems to vindicate what I watched on the replay. Newhouse wasn't as bad as it appeared initially. Allen got in on several tackles when Newhouse had him blocked, but Rodgers got pressure up the middle and scrambled. Great hustle plays by Allen, but Newhouse was doing a decent job. He needs to learn to keep hitting Allen until the whistle though.

I agree with harv. I saw a couple plays in which he blocked Allen but seemed to stop when he thought the play had gone away from him. On one in particular, Allen fell down and Newhouse just stood there, looking at him. Then Allen got up, and sure enough tackled Rodgers, who was trying to run/scramble up the middle. Rodgers got about two yards when he could've gotten six or seven. The young man Newhouse needs to get meaner.

Upnorth
11-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Teams which would likely start Newhouse: eagles, bears, packers (hehe), tb, ari, mia, pitt, jac.
Teams which might start newhouse: indy, kc, den, was, det, sea, stl,
So there are 14 spots where newhouse is better than or at least as good as the existing lt and I am being generous to the existing lt's.
Feel free to argue this list by the way, but for what its worth I look at oline from a running backs perspective.

RashanGary
11-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Oh, come on Eeyore :)

Newhouse just turned 23 years old. He came from a non-pro style college blocking system. He's been bounced from Guard to LT to RT and then back to LT. He played against the best 4-3 DE in the game last week. He was outclassed and outpowered at times, but he's holding up alright.

Harlan Huckleby did something like this one time.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

.............................................O.... .................................................. .........

...............................O.................. .................................................. .........

...........................ROOKIE....2nd Year.....3rd Year........................................

Where he's been is known. Where he is is known. Where he's going? ? ? He could flatten out, or he could be a guy who just turned 23 and is on the verge of becoming a legit LT. If I had to go with a hunch, I think he'll continue to get better for the next two seasons and progress into a darn good LT.

Pugger
11-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Meh, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Clifton will ride pine until they need to break the emergency glass.

You play the better player at every position if available. Cliffy might not be the best run blocker in the league but when you are a passing team and you have a superior pass blocker protecting the backside of your league MVP you put in the wily vet.

Brandon494
11-17-2011, 08:57 AM
You play the better player at every position if available. Cliffy might not be the best run blocker in the league but when you are a passing team and you have a superior pass blocker protecting the backside of your league MVP you put in the wily vet.

THIS!

No one is saying Newhouse sucks but priority #1 is keeping #12 off his back.

sharpe1027
11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Don't be so literal or you kill all the humor.

It was not intended to be literal. The entire line of that conversation was tongue-in-cheek... :)