PDA

View Full Version : Passing Not Really Up, Just More Elite Throwers?

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Passing is up just 4.6% this year, and just 5 QBs are responsible for the majority of the uptick.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7242598/analyzing-best-worst-deep-passers-nfl

Last year, just one quarterback, Drew Brees, threw for more than 1,000 yards on passes of more than 20 yards. This year, five are on pace to do so: Brees, Eli Manning, Cam Newton, Rodgers and Tony Romo. Even more impressive, from 2008 to 2010, only one quarterback (Brees in 2009) completed more than 50 percent of his passes on deep throws, while this season alone, three (Brees, Rodgers and Romo) are connecting on more than half their throws of more than 20 yards.

Three things stand out about this rise in deep throwing. One is that it's pretty much confined to the above handful of passers. Overall, passing yardage is up by just 4.6 percent around the league (231.7 yards per team per game in 2011 versus 221.6 in 2010), because while several quarterbacks are having great years, a nearly offsetting batch are either having disturbing off seasons (Josh Freeman, Kevin Kolb, Philip Rivers) or enduring rocky times as midseason replacements (John Beck, Blaine Gabbert, Curtis Painter). By themselves, the five superbombers are on track to increase their deep yards by about 3,000 yards from last season (with Newton compared to Jimmy Clausen's 2010 stats), nearly 60 percent of all the yardage the entire league is on pace to add this year.

Further, I'm sure you've heard this in other contexts, but the numbers Rodgers is putting up are just ridiculous. Last year, Brees led the NFL with 16.5 yards per attempt on throws of more than 20 yards. This season, Rodgers is gaining 29.5 yards per attempt on deep throws. That's not a misprint: He's 17-of-25 (68 percent) for a whopping 738 yards when throwing downfield, with seven touchdowns and just one interception. Rodgers' QBR on deep throws: a perfect 100, essentially meaning he's better than anyone the system can simulate...

There is one, and only one, superstar quarterback who has put up huge numbers in 2011 without throwing deep too often or particularly well: Tom Brady (QBR this season: 75.5). Brady leads the NFL with 336.9 passing yards per game and is on pace for a record 5,390 yards (Brees has more total yards, but the Patriots have played one fewer game than the Saints.) But Brady is racking up yards by completing a lot of short and medium passes. For the season, Brady is just 9-of-33 on deep throws (27.3 percent), for 10.1 yards per attempt, one touchdown and one pick, while starting quarterbacks are averaging a 35 percent completion rate and 12.7 YPA. When was the last time Brady was below-average at anything?

pbmax
11-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Passing yards and scoring have also declined since the start of the season. Week 10's scoring average was lower than the average for 2010. It will be interesting to see of the deep tosses keep piling up.

Upnorth
11-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Thank you for this info, wow. The deep ball is certainly making a come back. After years of shorter and shorter averages, it looks like it is rising again. Maybe this explains all the earl fire works as well. Defences were stopping check downs but allowing the deep throws.

Pugger
11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Passing yards and scoring have also declined since the start of the season. Week 10's scoring average was lower than the average for 2010. It will be interesting to see of the deep tosses keep piling up.

I wonder if this is because defenses are catching up? I suspect defenses really were hampered by not having more offseason work more than offenses were, as crazy as that sounds.

vince
11-17-2011, 01:05 PM
It's been sliced up a hundred different ways, and every way you slice it, Aaron Rodgers is really good. If the team can continue to take care of the ball, they'll be tough to beat whether the game is indoors, outdoors, in 80 degrees or 10 degrees, wind or no wind - you name it. He's just better than the other guys.

mraynrand
11-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I wonder if this is because defenses are catching up? I suspect defenses really were hampered by not having more offseason work more than offenses were, as crazy as that sounds.

Two deep safeties with man underneath. Teams are opting for the slow death over the big play, hoping offenses eventually make mistakes on long drives. It's the Lovie Smith philosophy.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 10:13 AM
I was reading the comments at JSO (not sure why) and somebody posted this when comparing the passings yards of Rodgers and Favre.

Favre's teams were probably a mix of 60% pass/40% run. Rodger's team thus far is 85% or more pass/15% run.

My response

239 runs, 298 passes, 23 sacks. Pass/run ratio = 43/57.

465 runs, 548 passes, 40 sacks. Pass/run ratio = 44/56.

When I read this, it just made me think of how ridiculous Rodgers has been. In a similar number of attempts as Favre in his second MVP season, Rodgers will likely have ~1200 more passing yards. It made me think of this thread.

Upnorth
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
This so far truly has been a season for the ages. We are very blessed to watch and be fans of such an amazing offense.