PDA

View Full Version : Big Fin/YOTTO

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Found this on packers.com. I had no idea what his celebrations were about. There are probably others who have no clue, so I'll post it here.

John from Janesville, WI

The first-down celebration that Finley does is called “The Big Fin.” It’s supposed to look like a shark swimming in the water. According to Finley, some younger players were doing that gesture to him in camp and Finley didn't understand it. He finally broke down and asked them what it was. After finding out they called him “Big Fin,” he implemented it into an on-the-field gesture. All this is according to Finley and his wife on a local TV segment they have where they interview each other. When Finley scores a touchdown, he does what some people think is the “YMCA” gesture. He is actually spelling out his own acronym, “YOTTO,” which stands for “Year of the takeover.”

After reading this, I actually like his celebrations now. :)

gbgary
11-18-2011, 12:16 PM
i've always liked them.

que the haters...

Freak Out
11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
i've always liked them.

que the haters...

I hate you...but love Big Fin. :)

gbgary
11-18-2011, 12:19 PM
:lol:

vince
11-18-2011, 12:19 PM
The fact that he got the inspiration from some of his fans does make it better. I don't get my undies all up in a bundle about celebrations. Some of them are over the top, but I have to admit I like Matthews' monster celebration and I laugh every time I see that lady doing it on the street in the NFL.com commercial or whatever it is.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
i've always liked them.

que the haters...

Actually, I mistyped that. I've always liked them. I like them more now. :)

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 12:31 PM
The fact that he got the inspiration from some of his fans does make it better. I don't get my undies all up in a bundle about celebrations. Some of them are over the top, but I have to admit I like Matthews' monster celebration and I laugh every time I see that lady doing it on the street in the NFL.com commercial or whatever it is.

The good celebrations are fun. They have to be funny and they have to come on a play that matters. Ones like this are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Zmwcolgwg

RashanGary
11-18-2011, 12:35 PM
He needs to slow the shark motion down, more predatory and then have a cool finish that symbolizes both catching his prey and getting a first down.

mraynrand
11-18-2011, 12:49 PM
180+ yards with minutes left in the 3rd. Amazing! 11 for 201 on the day....

The good celebrations are fun. They have to be funny and they have to come on a play that matters. Ones like this are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Zmwcolgwg

MadtownPacker
11-18-2011, 01:05 PM
The good celebrations are fun. They have to be funny and they have to come on a play that matters.Exactly, that why the "haters" don't like it at times.

RashanGary
11-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I want to be a big play celebration choreographer and consultant on when to use each "rub it in" routine. Some of these guys need some help. Jared Allen's rope'em move is short, to the point, fits his personality and really gets the point across. We need more of that and less of the samari/YOTTO/Big Fin dances. That's not to say there isn't a YOTTO/Big Fin dance that wouldn't work, but it is to say, they're too long and confusing.

Driver and Sharper had the shake. Nice move. Cool, quick. gets the point across. Belt - classic. Good judgement on when to use it. Skinny white guys who risk their body on rushing TDs get respect from their teammates. Perfect time to pull out the belt routine. Kids are going to remember that one. The old Tim Harris "six shooters". . . . what kid doesn't remember that?

The Raji - How do you go wrong with that? First he drops back and plucks the ball out of the air, smooth like he was born to play DB, then he runs in giddy like a 5th grader and tops it off with his smooth, improvised Big Sexy dance. . . . Nicely done. Clays beast move. Fuckin cool. Fits his game. Nice.

Barnett, Finley. . . . They need a little help.

sharpe1027
11-18-2011, 02:29 PM
I want to be a big play celebration choreographer and consultant on when to use each "rub it in" routine. Some of these guys need some help. Jared Allen's rope'em move is short, to the point, fits his personality and really gets the point across. We need more of that and less of the samari/YOTTO/Big Fin dances. That's not to say there isn't a YOTTO/Big Fin dance that wouldn't work, but it is to say, they're too long and confusing.

Driver and Sharper had the shake. Nice move. Cool, quick. gets the point across. Belt - classic. Good judgement on when to use it. Skinny white guys who risk their body on rushing TDs get respect from their teammates. Perfect time to pull out the belt routine. Kids are going to remember that one. The old Tim Harris "six shooters". . . . what kid doesn't remember that?

The Raji - How do you go wrong with that? First he drops back and plucks the ball out of the air, smooth like he was born to play DB, then he runs in giddy like a 5th grader and tops it off with his smooth, improvised Big Sexy dance. . . . Nicely done. Clays beast move. Fuckin cool. Fits his game. Nice.

The grave digger was a classic.

Old School
11-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm OK with the Lambeau Leap, and some more understated moves like the belt. Chest bumps and head slaps are a TEAM celebration. I've never been a fan of the overdone look at me moves in the middle of the field. On a first down? COME ON MAN!

RashanGary
11-18-2011, 03:00 PM
wrong thread

denverYooper
11-18-2011, 03:10 PM
http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/i/8/i8tzvz161blcvz1i.jpg

Geez Jackie, you must have a terrible thirst on ya tonight. I've never seen a man drink two pints at the same time.

Smidgeon
11-18-2011, 04:48 PM

Speaking of Allen's move, does he still go to the ground to do it? Has he gotten fined for that yet?

Fritz
11-18-2011, 05:01 PM
I still think some aggressive hip-thrusting in the direction of the defensive player you've just beaten would be awesome.

CaliforniaCheez
11-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Good celebrations do not have to be explained.

King Friday
11-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Ditto.

Guiness
11-19-2011, 10:37 AM
I posted in the game day thread - he reminds me of my son when he was 5yrs old and would run around the house pretending to be an airplane!

MadtownPacker
11-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I think Finleys wife is the problem. Seems like she is his "marketing" person. Maybe this is their way of bringing attention to his final year (year of the take over) of his contract? The "me me me " shit is a bad play IMO.

pbmax
11-19-2011, 03:07 PM

And its tricky territory, subject to change. I love Smith mimicking rowing, but it took me a minute to remember why. Finally, I remembered Smoot and the Love Boat. Its a good thing Smith did not whip out any other props from that adventure. :lol:

pbmax
11-19-2011, 03:08 PM
I think Finleys wife is the problem. Seems like she is his "marketing" person. Maybe this is their way of bringing attention to his final year (year of the take over) of his contract? The "me me me " shit is a bad play IMO.

The year in question last year was the year to drive to the Super Bowl. Not sure if it has changed meaning, especially since he missed the game.

MadtownPacker
11-19-2011, 03:21 PM
The year in question last year was the year to drive to the Super Bowl. Not sure if it has changed meaning, especially since he missed the game.

So he said he is talking about the whole team taking over?

Lurker64
11-19-2011, 03:27 PM
So he said he is talking about the whole team taking over?

I believe the whole "YOTTO" thing got started in the offseason after the Packers lost in the wild card round at Arizona (and Finley had a monster game in the loss), and it was really just a harmless "pumping himself up" sort of "I'm going to have a really big year this year." It's not really any different than when Chris Johnson a few years back said he was going to rush for 2500 yards (he didn't.) Guys pumping themselves up by predicting their future excellence is just the sort of thing you have to deal with in professional sports.

pbmax
11-19-2011, 04:56 PM
It was the Packers taking over the league in 2010, I think it first hit Twitter, etc. in preseason. Not sure if it has morphed or not after the Super Bowl.

Fritz
11-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Really, Finley's stuff is all pretty harmless. He seems like an eager young pup - sometimes he steps in his own shit, but he means well.

George Cumby
11-19-2011, 11:09 PM
http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/i/8/i8tzvz161blcvz1i.jpg

Geez Jackie, you must have a terrible thirst on ya tonight. I've never seen a man drink two pints at the same time.

"I've been usin' the fruity soaps, Maggie!"

Jimx29
11-20-2011, 01:19 AM
I don't believe i've ever met a Fin as dark skinned as he

Freak Out
01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
I have a feeling Fin has a huge game this Sunday.

Tony Oday
01-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Why the article on a second tier TE this year?

HarveyWallbangers
01-13-2012, 10:50 PM

I think he'll need to. Giants will likely go cover 2 a lot again. I know we scored 35 on them, but their DL wasn't healthy, so they'll probably stick with the same plan. Finley needs to hang onto the ball in this game. He had a bunch of drops in the last game.

MadtownPacker
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Damn HW, you had Finley's back all season even when some of us where hating on the drops and now that he is about to go YOTTO on those NY bitches you freeze up.

mraynrand
01-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I think he'll need to. Giants will likely go cover 2 a lot again. I know we scored 35 on them, but their DL wasn't healthy, so they'll probably stick with the same plan. Finley needs to hang onto the ball in this game. He had a bunch of drops in the last game.

Check the film out. He had guys draped all over him - all game long (not excusing the drops, just pointing this out), because without the mugging, Finley likely would have had a ton more yards). I'll be interested to see if the Belichick strategy is tolerated. A huge key to the game is whether the refs let the LBs and D-backs mug the Packer receivers.

KYPack
01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
JF will be a huge part of the playcaller's strategy Sunday.

The Giants do a poor job of coordinating the corners and the safeties.

Wil Blackmon played corner for 'em last week.

He still doesn't have a handle on that job.

Hope that Fin can handle an ice ball.

denverYooper
01-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Check the film out. He had guys draped all over him - all game long (not excusing the drops, just pointing this out), because without the mugging, Finley likely would have had a ton more yards). I'll be interested to see if the Belichick strategy is tolerated. A huge key to the game is whether the refs let the LBs and D-backs mug the Packer receivers.

I'd bet M3 will tell the Refs to keep an eye on that early. Hopefully he learned a little gamesmanship from old Romeo.

sheepshead
01-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Hang on to a few more passes and I'm all over it. I think he will become the TE we thought he would.

denverYooper
01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
The Detroit game might just be what Finley needed to get some of that confidence back going into the playoffs.

Brandon494
01-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Hopefully he'll play like he did his last playoff game against the Cardinals

HarveyWallbangers
01-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Damn HW, you had Finley's back all season even when some of us where hating on the drops and now that he is about to go YOTTO on those NY bitches you freeze up.

Hey, I have his back. But he dropped a lot of balls in the last Giants game. He needs to hang onto them this game.

Freak Out
01-16-2012, 01:18 AM
YOTTO NOTTO!

Gunakor
01-16-2012, 02:02 AM
I'm not sure what more Fin could have done today. I've been as hard on him as anyone this year, but I can't place much blame on him today. Finley was finding space all day long it seemed.

The play of this game I'll remember forever as the moment when all became lost was Finley running an excellent route and getting wide open - nobody within 15 yards of him - and Rodgers throwing an unneccesary bullet just beyond his reach. A little less weight on that throw and it's first and goal, not 4th and 5.

mraynrand
01-16-2012, 08:09 AM
The play of this game I'll remember forever as the moment when all became lost was Finley running an excellent route and getting wide open - nobody within 15 yards of him - and Rodgers throwing an unneccesary bullet just beyond his reach. A little less weight on that throw and it's first and goal, not 4th and 5.

That was the play of the game. Then the Jennings mixup that would have been a TD. Then the Rodgers fumble that should have been a TD had Clifton and Lang been on the same page. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda. The trifecta of losers. LOSERS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=0Kz7YUdy-Cg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npqzBtJ2Gco&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUholHlmxYA

pbmax
01-16-2012, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure what more Fin could have done today. I've been as hard on him as anyone this year, but I can't place much blame on him today. Finley was finding space all day long it seemed.

I would have been OK with him not tripping over his own feet on the sideline pass in the 1st half.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Finley and Rodgers at this point might both benefit from a separation. Its seems sometimes like each is blaming the other for the breakdowns.

denverYooper
01-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Finley and Rodgers at this point might both benefit from a separation. Its seems sometimes like each is blaming the other for the breakdowns.

A trial separation or a divorce?

denverYooper
01-16-2012, 08:49 AM
I like Finley a lot, but to me this game was just more of the same underwhelming play from him. I kept thinking he would have that monster game at some point this year and it never materialized. He's pretty good, but has not brought out those elite tools that many thought he had.

His contract situation is going to be interesting. I still think that they tag him and make him play for that contract (who else would they tag?) but after yesterday I'm less sure.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 08:53 AM
A trial separation or a divorce?

Good question, I am not sure but what is happening now is not productive.

mmmdk
01-16-2012, 08:53 AM
I like Finley a lot, but to me this game was just more of the same underwhelming play from him. I kept thinking he would have that monster game at some point this year and it never materialized. He's pretty good, but has not brought out those elite tools that many thought he had.

His contract situation is going to be interesting. I still think that they tag him and make him play for that contract (who else would they tag?) but after yesterday I'm less sure.

Wells? Could happen!

BallHawk
01-16-2012, 08:58 AM
To the people that want to get rid of Finley: Who do you legitimately think can fill his shoes? Crabtree? Williams? Taylor? Quarless? Some rookie or washed up vet?

Fact of the matter is, players with Finley's size and potential don't come along often. We're spoiled by players like Rodgers, Jennings, Matthews- guys that come into the league and seem to go nowhere but up. Other guys need work, a lot of it, to get to where they are. James Jones turned in an extremely solid season after many were crying for him to be thrown out of Green Bay. Desmond Bishop started playing Pro-Bowl caliber after a few years. These guys sometimes just need time.

If we had a viable option to replace Finley, maybe I'd buy the argument over money, character, how Rodgers and him aren't in synch, etc. But I can't do that when we have a potpourri of TEs who do one thing well but the rest mediocre. The play that has always stood out for me from Finley's career is a catch he made against Arizona in the Wild Card came in 2009. Rodgers heaves a bomb downfield, Finley's waiting under it and straight up out-muscles and out-jumps the CB, who also gets a PI call, for the catch.

I can't even think of 5 TEs who could do the same.

Tony Oday
01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Well he sucked it up enough not to be considered a WR when tagged....

denverYooper
01-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Well he sucked it up enough not to be considered a WR when tagged....

Did he? Last I remember, his agent threatening to file a grievance if Green Bay tagged Finley as a TE.

Edit: I just re-read your post in a different way... At first I thought you were indicating that he indicated he'd take the TE tag and not push for WR.

mraynrand
01-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Good question, I am not sure but what is happening now is not productive.

I think you may be overreacting. Are you referring mostly to Rodgers bitching on the field after the blown connection, or something else? Finley has been saying all the right things in the press, and Rodgers, with one exception, just doesn't call people out in public. I'm betting this all gets worked out in the offseason, in the OTAs and in camp.

gbgary
01-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Did he? Last I remember, his agent threatening to file a grievance if Green Bay tagged Finley as a TE.

Edit: I just re-read your post in a different way... At first I thought you were indicating that he indicated he'd take the TE tag and not push for WR.

that would be a silly threat to follow through on. he'll get his money.

pbmax
01-16-2012, 09:15 AM
I think you may be overreacting. Are you referring mostly to Rodgers bitching on the field after the blown connection, or something else? Finley has been saying all the right things in the press, and Rodgers, with one exception, just doesn't call people out in public. I'm betting this all gets worked out in the offseason, in the OTAs and in camp.

I am more reading between the lines of everything, from on field stuff to off field comments. I could care less (and I think Rodgers and the brain trust agree) about Finley being media-philic. They seem to enjoy that about him. Most of the time.

What I mean is accountability, or perhaps trust. At some point a WR needs to make the QB look good by doing something sensational and/or risky to make a catch. They have to do this because the QB cannot always have a clean pocket or open look to make the perfect throw. In a game like yesterday, it was more than evident this needed to happen because Rodgers was not his normal crisp self in the pocket.

The reverse of this agreement is that the QB will not hang a receiver out to dry and will not publicly air their grievances.

I get the sense that Finley thinks when he is open the throw is off target and when he is covered, the throw is in a window nearly impossible to get to. Rodgers feels like Finley cannot be trusted to layout to get the ball in the only window he feels he can safely throw to. The opposite of this would be Driver.

Perhaps all they need to do is work on some trust falls.

ND72
01-16-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm as frustrated as anyone with Jermichael Finley..LOVE the guy, just very disappointed in him. The fact is as much as I've said let him walk, geez, can you really like a 6'5" TE with 4.4 speed go? I follow him on Twitter, and last night, between him and his wife, the things that were sent to them are down right disgusting, and I will rag on him here, but I'm a fan and want my guys to succeed...when they don't I'm not dumb enough to attack them personally (or to their face..haha). Rodgers needs Finley, and the Packers need Finley. As any of you know, as an athlete, or a student, or in your own profession, when you are trying your hardest, and pushing yourself because of failures that have happen, usually they tend to only get worse, which is what I think happened this year for Finley. He was pressing so hard to succeed that he got in his own way. Sign him to a nice contract, with the possibility to make more, and keep him in a Packer uniform.

ND72
01-16-2012, 09:23 AM
I am more reading between the lines of everything, from on field stuff to off field comments. I could care less (and I think Rodgers and the brain trust agree) about Finley being media-philic. They seem to enjoy that about him. Most of the time.

What I mean is accountability, or perhaps trust. At some point a WR needs to make the QB look good by doing something sensational and/or risky to make a catch. They have to do this because the QB cannot always have a clean pocket or open look to make the perfect throw. In a game like yesterday, it was more than evident this needed to happen because Rodgers was not his normal crisp self in the pocket.

The reverse of this agreement is that the QB will not hang a receiver out to dry and will not publicly air their grievances.

I get the sense that Finley thinks when he is open the throw is off target and when he is covered, the throw is in a window nearly impossible to get to. Rodgers feels like Finley cannot be trusted to layout to get the ball in the only window he feels he can safely throw to. The opposite of this would be Driver.

Perhaps all they need to do is work on some trust falls.

We have a 6 foot trust fall at my school for PE...10 people catching, very cool stuff...bring the whole offense over, eh, maybe the defense should go first.

BallHawk
01-16-2012, 09:45 AM
I'd rather we have a Blanket Party with Finley as the guest of honor. Maybe that'll get him in line.

Patler
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Fact of the matter is, players with Finley's size and potential don't come along often.

A few years ago I would have agreed with you. Not so sure about that now. More and more teams seem to be finding them.

Freak Out
01-16-2012, 11:51 AM

Wrong again. :)

I think Finley will only get better and hope TT can find a way to keep him.

red
01-16-2012, 11:59 AM
To the people that want to get rid of Finley: Who do you legitimately think can fill his shoes? Crabtree? Williams? Taylor? Quarless? Some rookie or washed up vet?

Fact of the matter is, players with Finley's size and potential don't come along often. We're spoiled by players like Rodgers, Jennings, Matthews- guys that come into the league and seem to go nowhere but up. Other guys need work, a lot of it, to get to where they are. James Jones turned in an extremely solid season after many were crying for him to be thrown out of Green Bay. Desmond Bishop started playing Pro-Bowl caliber after a few years. These guys sometimes just need time.

If we had a viable option to replace Finley, maybe I'd buy the argument over money, character, how Rodgers and him aren't in synch, etc. But I can't do that when we have a potpourri of TEs who do one thing well but the rest mediocre. The play that has always stood out for me from Finley's career is a catch he made against Arizona in the Wild Card came in 2009. Rodgers heaves a bomb downfield, Finley's waiting under it and straight up out-muscles and out-jumps the CB, who also gets a PI call, for the catch.

I can't even think of 5 TEs who could do the same.

too bad finely didn't show the ability to do any of that this year. we were all saying he could outrun, outjump, and out muscle any defender that tried to cover him. he did none of that this year

guys flashed tons of potential, but he still hasn't come close to living up to any of it.

he might not have even been in the top 10 in most TE categories this year

Tarlam!
01-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Rodgers' film study is legendary these days. M3 has commented often on his work in the film room. Rodgers once stated Finley could be great if he studied more. I have often had the feeling Finley ran a wrong route or was out of position mostly from watching Rodgers's body language.

It seems to me Finley over relies on his physical attributes and isn't working on the details. He does make some great plays from time to time, but I just expected more. Admittedly, none of us really know for sure, but I think we have the right as fans to be disappointed in his play.