PDA

View Full Version : Dickey Vs. Majkowski - Who Was Better?

Fritz
11-18-2011, 02:22 PM
What the hell. We've got Favre vs. Rodgers, back in the day it might've been Herber vs. Isbell. Why not?

Dickey and Majkowski - two talented Packer QB's whose careers were either shortened or lessened because of injury. Which one was better?

If this proves a popular thread, we could also have a Randy Wright vs. David Whitehurst thread.

pittstang5
11-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Who cares? Fire Slocum!

RashanGary
11-18-2011, 02:33 PM
I was majik for halloween one year, but Sharpe was my guy. I was the too-small kid who's football eyes were far bigger than his football body. I remember playing with my older sister's friends and pulling down bombs against tight coverage. I'd get up, dizzy from my head hitting the cold Upper Michigan clay turf. All the big kids would pat me on the back as I walked back to the huddle, proud, feeling like I had 84 stitched on my faded poor kid tee-shirt. I was a route runner, a set'em up two plays in a row by half assing it on the same idiot route guy. Then I'd go back to the huddle and say, "Hey, big cool kid, I'm going to be open on this route". The ball would rifle through my hands and hit me in the face, but I'd cradle it against my bruised orbital bone and make the play. I was like a 34 year old chubby freeman sticking around 2 years too long becuase my money ran out. I played with the do-anything desperation of a guy who needed to pay child support, bill collectors and an overextended car loan. Football mattered.

hoosier
11-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Nice question, take us away from the impossible task of comparing the present to the recent past.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DickLy00.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MajkDo00.htm

To me the answer is clear: Dickey. Majik was a one-year wonder whose arm was just middling even before he screwed up his shoulder. Dickey was completely immobile but had a rocket as well as the cojones to stand in there and take a beating repeatedly. His MNF shootout against Theismann and that loaded Redskins team was one of my all-time favorite Packer performances. And despite his frequent injuries, he put together four straight more than solid seasons for the Packers, including one great one.

Fosco33
11-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Kiel, Dilweg or Tomczak?

Fosco33
11-18-2011, 02:52 PM
What the hell. We've got Favre vs. Rodgers, back in the day it might've been Herber vs. Isbell. Why not?

Dickey and Majkowski - two talented Packer QB's whose careers were either shortened or lessened because of injury. Which one was better?

If this proves a popular thread, we could also have a Randy Wright vs. David Whitehurst thread.

What's wild... Dickey and Majik had nearly identical TD:INT ratios (1:1) and QB rating (71 vs. 72). Dickey played a lot longer and doubled Majik in TDs and Yardage.

For me - it's Majik by default. I started watching the Packers religiously because of Majik man (as an 8 or 9 year old).

RashanGary
11-18-2011, 02:53 PM
The older you get, the more you realize, who gives a fuck who was better. It's, "who was the QB when you were 8 years old?"

Majik all the way. Hands down.

Edit: Nice Fosco. Nice.

gbgary
11-18-2011, 02:56 PM
majik...cuz he could run.

sharpe1027
11-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Here's somewhere to start the conversation from:

Dikey:
Career Record: 45-63-3
Comp. Percentage: 55.4%
Yards: 23322 Yds
TDs: 141
INTs: 179

Majik Man

Career Record: 26-30-1
Comp. Percentage: 55.9%
Yards: 12,700
TDs: 66
INTs: 67

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't care about stats. Dickey was an amazing passer with a Dan Marino-like release. Majik was a gamer, but he was a so-so talent, Tavaris Jackson talent.

RashanGary
11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
I have a 3rd grade son. One day they were on youtube practicing the Raji dance. Then I looked at the history and they were google-imageing "Megan Fox Boobs"

These are the things you remember. Who's better? Who's prettier? Fuck that. It's who's boobs did you look at when you were 9, who was the QB of the home team? Who was your favorite Ninja Turtle? Where did your Dad or Grandpa bring you hunting? Everyone of those is the coolest and it's not a question. It's a matter of fact.

That 38 year old chain smoking hair cutter who's boob rubbed against your arm when you were 12. . . Shes the most seductive person on earth, herpes, genital warts and all. This is a no contest.

Blonde Amy who you sat by on the bus for 4 months. . . . . That time she leaned in to kiss you and you felt her tongue touch your lips. That's the best kiss you ever had. The trashy girl who put your hand between her legs while you were watching the highschool drama/chorus production. . . that's the best boner ever. No contest.

Favre and Rodgers suck. Majik is the greatest QB off all time.

Cheesehead Craig
11-18-2011, 03:13 PM
Dick-ey! Dick-ey!

gbgary
11-18-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't care about stats. Dickey was an amazing passer with a Dan Marino-like release. Majik was a gamer, but he was a so-so talent, Tavaris Jackson talent.

i thought majik was a terrific passer with a quick release...he also had the great sterling sharpe. i agree about dickey though.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Dickey was considerably better than Majik--except for that one magical year in 1989. Dickey's team regularly were near the top offenses in the league. Unfortunately, the Packers had some of the worst defenses in team history. You can't compare stats. The late 70s and early 80s was entirely different than the late 80s--which were considerably different than the 90s and today.

AtlPackFan
11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Dickey! From what I remember they threw a lot because they were behind a lot....D stunk.

From Wikipedia (For what its worth): "John Jefferson, James Lofton, and tight end Paul Coffman teamed up with quarterback Lynn Dickey to give the Packers one of the most explosive passing attacks in the NFL at the time; however, a defense which hovered near the bottom of the league relegated Green Bay to three 8-8 finishes and a second-round playoff appearance during the strike-shortened 1982 season.

Perhaps the high point of Dickey's NFL career came in 1983 when he powered the Packers' offense to a then-team record 429 points. He threw for a team record 4,458 yards, and a career-best 32 touchdowns, the most in the NFL in 1983. Dickey was named second-team All-NFC behind Joe Theismann. Dickey's Packers had beaten Theismann's Super Bowl champion Washington Redskins in a thrilling Monday Night Football game earlier that season (Washington kicker Mark Moseley missed a field goal in the closing seconds, preserving the Packers' 48-47 win). The game remains the highest aggregate score in MNF history"

gbgary
11-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Dickey! From what I remember they threw a lot because they were behind a lot....D stunk.

From Wikipedia (For what its worth): "John Jefferson, James Lofton, and tight end Paul Coffman teamed up with quarterback Lynn Dickey to give the Packers one of the most explosive passing attacks in the NFL at the time; however, a defense which hovered near the bottom of the league relegated Green Bay to three 8-8 finishes and a second-round playoff appearance during the strike-shortened 1982 season.

Perhaps the high point of Dickey's NFL career came in 1983 when he powered the Packers' offense to a then-team record 429 points. He threw for a team record 4,458 yards, and a career-best 32 touchdowns, the most in the NFL in 1983. Dickey was named second-team All-NFC behind Joe Theismann. Dickey's Packers had beaten Theismann's Super Bowl champion Washington Redskins in a thrilling Monday Night Football game earlier that season (Washington kicker Mark Moseley missed a field goal in the closing seconds, preserving the Packers' 48-47 win). The game remains the highest aggregate score in MNF history"

they formed the battery for the nfc in the probowl. qb, both wrs, and te from the Packers.

Patler
11-18-2011, 04:21 PM
If only you could have combined Dickey above the waist with Majkowski below the waist.
Dickowski would have been a Hall of Famer for sure!

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 04:45 PM
If only you could have combined Dickey above the waist with Majkowski below the waist.
Dickowski would have been a Hall of Famer for sure!

I like MajikDick better. :)

Fritz
11-18-2011, 04:58 PM
I would have said Dickey, no contest. My only hesitation was that
Dickey threw so many interceptions.

Majik didn't have a big arm, but he was gutsy and really exciting to watch. I saw him beat the Lions on a last-second pass in the Pontiac Silverdome back in the day.

But Dickey was my guy. If he'd had better knees and a better defense, he might have been the real link between Starr and Favre. Except for all those damn interceptions. I didn't realize he threw so many til I saw the stats.

yooperfan
11-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Lynn was the quarterback I grew up with. I also didn't realize he threw that many int. My memory of him was feeling that he could score at anytime, especially with Coffman, Jefferson and Lofton. I missed the Magic year by being over seas that year, so didn't feel that way again til Favre and now Rogers.

smuggler
11-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Those were a lot easier to forgive back then, and your defense probably should have gotten you about as many.

Jimx29
11-18-2011, 06:13 PM
22 replies and no ones mentioned how no one can lick our Dickie?

Upnorth
11-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Fritz is one awesome dude!

Dickey for two reasons, almost as good of a record with a sucky d and it was legal to rape wr's backthen.
Two, the first packer game I fuzzily saw on black and white tv dickey won and I thought he was the greatest qb ever (after ron lancaster!)

VegasPackFan
11-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Majik was kinda like Tebow. Suck for 3.5 quarters and then pull out the win or almost win in the last 2 minutes.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2011, 08:32 PM
I think Dickey had good career before coming to GB. Majik was a shooting star.

Patler
11-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I think Dickey had good career before coming to GB. Majik was a shooting star.

Dickey had no career before coming to GB. Just a handful of starts. Houston drafted Dan Pastorini and Lynn Dickey the same year. Pastorini was the #3 pick overall, behind Plunkett and Archie Manning. Dickey was picked by Houston a round or two later. Pastorini always had the advantage over Dickey, and when Houston settled on him for their future, they traded Dickey.

Harlan Huckleby
11-18-2011, 09:44 PM
patler only posts when i'm wrong :x

Freak Out
11-18-2011, 09:57 PM
Dickey for me...I loved Majik because he helped resurrect the Pack somewhat but I loved the Pack during the Dickey years. I cut newspaper clippings after some games back then. :)

Joemailman
11-18-2011, 10:02 PM

Doesn't leave him much time for anything else.

HarveyWallbangers
11-18-2011, 10:03 PM

Nice! :)

Upnorth
11-18-2011, 10:07 PM

Shouldn't his post count be way higher then?

And after reading the rest of the thread I find joe beat me to it, and did it in a much classier way.

mission
11-18-2011, 10:15 PM
I have a 3rd grade son. One day they were on youtube practicing the Raji dance. Then I looked at the history and they were google-imageing "Megan Fox Boobs"

These are the things you remember. Who's better? Who's prettier? Fuck that. It's who's boobs did you look at when you were 9, who was the QB of the home team? Who was your favorite Ninja Turtle? Where did your Dad or Grandpa bring you hunting? Everyone of those is the coolest and it's not a question. It's a matter of fact.

That 38 year old chain smoking hair cutter who's boob rubbed against your arm when you were 12. . . Shes the most seductive person on earth, herpes, genital warts and all. This is a no contest.

Blonde Amy who you sat by on the bus for 4 months. . . . . That time she leaned in to kiss you and you felt her tongue touch your lips. That's the best kiss you ever had. The trashy girl who put your hand between her legs while you were watching the highschool drama/chorus production. . . that's the best boner ever. No contest.

Favre and Rodgers suck. Majik is the greatest QB off all time.

:lol: I'll have what you're havin!

I have to say Majik just because I'm 30. He's the first Packers QB I really have good memory of. Always remembered a Packers game on, but there's a moment I really got interested. Always looked at the Majik Man as a WWF character.

mraynrand
11-18-2011, 11:13 PM
Kiel, Dilweg or Tomczak?

If I wanted to kill myself, I'd use a knife or a gun, not a debate over horrible Packer QBs.

Pugger
11-18-2011, 11:17 PM
I would have said Dickey, no contest. My only hesitation was that
Dickey threw so many interceptions.

Majik didn't have a big arm, but he was gutsy and really exciting to watch. I saw him beat the Lions on a last-second pass in the Pontiac Silverdome back in the day.

But Dickey was my guy. If he'd had better knees and a better defense, he might have been the real link between Starr and Favre. Except for all those damn interceptions. I didn't realize he threw so many til I saw the stats.

Of course the reason he threw so many Ints was because he felt he had to do something, anything make a play because the defenses during those years were so horrendous. He even admitted that not long ago.

vince
11-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Harlan prefers Dickie. There's a shocker.

I think Dickie was better too, but while he had a great arm, his release was a bit exaggerated compared to Marino's. I'd say you give Tavaris Jackson an awful lot of credit there too.

Fritz
11-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Those were a lot easier to forgive back then, and your defense probably should have gotten you about as many.

Why say you they were easier to forgive back then? Because the GB defense was so bad, or for some other reason?

My memory of Dickey is a lot better than his stats are.

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2011, 03:22 AM
I'd say you give Tavaris Jackson an awful lot of credit there too.

ok, Culpepper. Culpepper might even have had more good years than Majik.

Harlan Huckleby
11-19-2011, 03:45 AM
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/T-Ball_06_039_website.jpg

homerun for Joe.

I knew that joke was coming, but I decided to leave it out there for one of the youngsters. That's how I roll, always giving.

Fosco33
11-19-2011, 06:29 AM
If I wanted to kill myself, I'd use a knife or a gun, not a debate over horrible Packer QBs.

Haha - you clearly missed a my attempt at a joke. Guess that actually makes it funnier.

Fosco33
11-19-2011, 06:32 AM
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/T-Ball_06_039_website.jpg

homerun for Joe.

I knew that joke was coming, but I decided to leave it out there for one of the youngsters. That's how I roll, always giving.

Hmm - I always pegged you as a taker. :-)

Iron Mike
11-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Knife, gun, CO, Diazepam OD, or helium to the bag taped over your head???

http://media.sdreader.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2011/Jun/08/Suicide_Kit_t400.jpg?462b9d6f90d959445a9a4ed322227 662267dc65b

Fritz
11-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Hmm - I always pegged you as a taker. :-)

You mean like Rex Grossman?

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX_a1OGWTwT93GnosocX-7M603FnIbz-B-Z9kF0kIVzxtJYJ94zw

As the good book says, it's better to give than to receive.

mraynrand
11-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Knife, gun, CO, Diazepam OD, or helium to the bag taped over your head???

http://media.sdreader.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2011/Jun/08/Suicide_Kit_t400.jpg?462b9d6f90d959445a9a4ed322227 662267dc65b

That looks like me circa Jan 11, 2004 - about 7 PM.

Packers4Glory
11-20-2011, 11:28 AM
My first memory of the Packers or having any Packer gear was a Lynn Dickey uniform complete w/ helmet. But Majkowski was my favorite player. I remember thinking his hold out was a bad idea and caused his injury that got "The Wizard" some playing time.

wpony
11-21-2011, 01:57 AM
It would have to be Majik anyone that could cause the bears and Ditka that much grief and still to this day have all us Packer fans smile when we here after further review the bears still suck has to be a football god, I will never forget the Instant Replay game or the heart he played with.

sharpe1027
11-21-2011, 12:00 PM
It would have to be Majik anyone that could cause the bears and Ditka that much grief and still to this day have all us Packer fans smile when we here after further review the bears still suck has to be a football god, I will never forget the Instant Replay game or the heart he played with.

Upon further review, I have to agree with that assessment. That whole team played with a lot of heart that year, but Majik was the one leading the pack. (Come for the fun, stay for the pun!)

wpony
11-21-2011, 02:59 PM
They werent called the cardiac Pack for nothing but it was fun