PDA

View Full Version : Winners and Losers: Week 11 versus Bucs

pbmax
11-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Another unsatisfying game from the 2011 edition of the Packers, mitigated only by their un-malignable 10-0 record.

WINNERS

Nelson - performance does not seem determined by race - go figure
Driver - still has gas left in tank found ways to get open on 3rd down
Starks - in some ways, he is a more natural at finding a hole than Grant, though at times his patience costs him by being caught behind the LOS. Unlike most dancers though, he simply can run over people for first down yardage. If I could change one thing it would be a willngness to cut back more.
Neal - healthy and stayed that way. Nothing much in the boxscore but I saw two bull rushes move a lineman back to the QBs lap. And I haven' seen that much this year
Crabtree - TD for the hard worker
Masthay - He might never compete with Jon Ryan for MP, but that botched punt run for a first down was positively Ryan-esque. It also had a nice, humanizing double drop and fumble to boot.
Walden - Some pressure and coverage. He seems to be rounding into shape. Not dominant by any means, but capable.

LOSERS
Shields - got burned more than once, though he was in single coverage on both with no immediate safety help on each
Burnett - seemed much more tentative with new cast in tackling
Tramontana - change one play and he could be on either list. One very nice coverage late and one pick but several efforts to tackle the RB were weak. If shoulder doesn't concern him on coverage, it does in tackling.
Peprah - seemed lost on several coverages, esp. when falling down on TE crossing route late
Equipment Guys - everyone was sliding on the grass in weather that is pretty good for November
Finley - tough day as the Bucs coverage on him was tight. but two passes he might have caught were dropped. Neither was a flat whiff (and on one he was being held illegally) but you would love the guy to make one of those plays. Came back later with another nice grab
Trainers - Going to have to work overtime to help Jennings and Starks heal. Would hurt to be without them on Thursday
Hawk - usually we get on him for being too careful but he failed to bring down Blount twice when he hit him and did not wrap up
Slocum/Kuhn - Was going to list Slocum first but Twitter (Aaron Nagler) has Kuhn with the missed block. Someone should run laps for the 3rd leaky punt performance in the last 3 games.

gbgary
11-20-2011, 05:07 PM
most everyone was down a notch, or played their ususal game, in this one except jordy and driver...bishop perhaps. starks' rushing wasn't anything to write home about but he had six catches.

Guiness
11-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Add Sitton to the loser's list. Haynesworth schooled him, and he drew a few flags.

yooperfan
11-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Raji's first offensive touchdown.

Driver going over 10,000 yards in his career.

Packer fans our team is on a 16-0 run!!

___

Crosby first missed field goal

Packer fans for not getting to see a Raji leap

mission
11-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh did Driver go over 10k?? I thought he was 322 yards away or so at the start of the year and for a second there it was looking like he might not make it. I'm really happy for him.

Upnorth
11-20-2011, 06:34 PM
It was a poor showing for arod this year, but still he played awesome, 111 rating (I think) so he is a winner.
Also I though bishop played well.

Suprised at how much haynesworth took advantage of our line.

MadtownPacker
11-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Packer fans for not getting to see a Raji leapThats what I was hoping for. All he does is score when he touches the ball!

King Friday
11-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Driver going over 10,000 yards in his career.

He isn't there yet...although today's performance made it much more likely he'll eventually get it this season. He needed about 220 yards going into this game, and he must've had around 80...so I think he has less than 150 yards now. Can he get 25 yards a game the rest of the way? I hope so.

ThunderDan
11-20-2011, 07:54 PM
He isn't there yet...although today's performance made it much more likely he'll eventually get it this season. He needed about 220 yards going into this game, and he must've had around 80...so I think he has less than 150 yards now. Can he get 25 yards a game the rest of the way? I hope so.

I think he went over 10,000 total yards receiving and running. 2nd Packer since Ahman Green, at least that's what they said on the post-game radio show.

yooperfan
11-20-2011, 08:40 PM
I think he went over 10,000 total yards receiving and running. 2nd Packer since Ahman Green, at least that's what they said on the post-game radio show.

Ya I think it's overall yards, That's what I heard on the post game radio.

BobDobbs
11-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Shields: played soft. He always plays soft, but today it looked like he didn't really want to play football. It's a collision sport.
Walden:He played a strong game, but he's got to clean up Blount's run at the end. I know LaGarrett was on some kind of beast mode blast, but wrap him up. Him, Hawk, and of course Shields didn't bring it physically on that run.
Finley: A couple of tough drops. Make your money player.

smuggler
11-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Go ahead and add Wells to the losers list. Got schooled a few times in pass protection and not much to speak of in the running game.

Scott Campbell
11-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Thats what I was hoping for. All he (Raji) does is score when he touches the ball!

Can you imagine the people running for their lives if he had tried a leap?

vince
11-20-2011, 11:02 PM
Losers
DJ Smith going after the on-side kick before it went 10 yards was a real brainfart. Fortunately for him the kicker barely touched the ball before he did.

Both safeties gave up too much in coverage.

Williams and Shields both got out-physicaled by Mike Williams and Aurrelius Benn. Makes me a bit worried about what Megatron could do Thursday.

Dom's adjustments, or lack thereof, didn't work for a change.

Rodgers didn't seem to have his normal zip on the ball underthrowing and throwing behind his receivers on a handful of passes.

Crabtree caught the easy TD, but was beat on a number of blocks.

Nice decision by Masthay to tuck and run on the punt, though double flubbing the ball out of bounds was a bit lucky and embarassing.

It may well have been Quarless who missed the block on the punt. The rusher was head up on him, but he moved outside to take the outside man who was head up on and also blocked by Jones.

Newhouse isn't sustaining his blocks consistently enough. He just doesn't seem to have much punch. He engages initially in good position but gets pushed aside too often IMO. Guys get into his body too easily.

The whole o-line other than Lang had their share of gaffes. Bulaga got pushed back a couple times. Lang held up well in Pass pro and had a couple nice blocks on the second level in the run game.

Not a lot of pressure on Freeman, though he usually got it out relatively quickly.

------

Overall, the Packers didn't look real sharp other than Nelson and Starks catching and running, but I thought the Bucs played pretty well and still weren't good enough to win.

10-0!

Megatron and Pettigrew could be tough match-ups.

channtheman
11-20-2011, 11:10 PM
I think this is actually the perfect game leading up to the Lions game. The Packers played like total crap so we should come out against Detroit ready to play and executing well. At least I hope so!

HarveyWallbangers
11-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm hoping it was just a trap game. Of course, playing poorly in still winning is always a nice sign. Could have been worse.

Harlan Huckleby
11-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Losers: fans for having to watch an all-around shitty performance against an all-around shitty opponent.

they were looking ahead to turkey day

Harlan Huckleby
11-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Dom's adjustments, or lack thereof, didn't work for a change. could he at least make an adjustment to that fur on his head? That is the most embarassing toupe i have ever seen. He is a 60-something man with a jet-black, african american wig from 70's black action movie. I'm gonna start calling him "Shaft"

Harlan Huckleby
11-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Newhouse isn't sustaining his blocks consistently enough. He just doesn't seem to have much punch. He engages initially in good position but gets pushed aside too often IMO. Guys get into his body too easily.

I watched Newhouse a lot. He is not terrible, he moves his feet well and competes, but your criticism is correct too often. Clayborn is good, but just a rookie, and he often was able to hand-fight Newhouse, shove and slip past. It looked like an 8-year vet against rookie.

Newhouse is not ready.

RashanGary
11-21-2011, 12:56 AM
I watched Newhouse a lot. He is not terrible, he moves his feet well and competes, but your criticism is correct too often. Clayborn is good, but just a rookie, and he often was able to hand-fight Newhouse, shove and slip past. It looked like an 8-year vet against rookie.

Newhouse is not ready.

I didn't quite have words for why Newhouse looks so blah. . . . . Reading this, it really seems like what is happening. He gets in the way. He recovers well, but guys beat him with their hands.

He's been serviceable. Guys don't blow by him. Typically, he gets beat outside on a double move and recovers to shove the guy outside. Rodgers has been able to step up and throw for the most part outside of Jared Allen. He can start. . . . You want better, but he is a serviceable starter. Doesn't seem any worse than Colledge was at guard last year.

pbmax
11-21-2011, 01:00 AM
vince was correct. Quarless admitted to the missed punt block in Wilde's story.

SkinBasket
11-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Not sure how Jones isn't a loser after having another hallmark James Jones day out there. About the only real accurate pass Rodgers threw all day and he drops the fucking thing. Whether it should have been called or not, he put his hand in the back of the guy who made the tackle on Cobb's return with all eyes on him, and then immediately comes out on offense, presents Rodgers a target with his defender blocked out, then inexplicably drifts toward the sideline so said defender has a free INT that turns out making the game close again.

Also, Bishop was abused in TE coverage and made to look a fool on the failed 2 point conversion. No way does he warrant not being labeled a loser.

Refs were losers for allowing TB receivers to push off for the first quarter or two, but they finally called the 5th or 6th instance in the endzone, which doesn't absolve them of being asshats, however.

Joemailman
11-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Losers: fans for having to watch an all-around shitty performance against an all-around shitty opponent.

they were looking ahead to turkey day

I was at the game. Sloppy but entertaining. Masthay's play there was maybe the only play I've ever seen where at the end of the play everybody in the stands was just laughing.

pbmax
11-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Not sure how Jones isn't a loser after having another hallmark James Jones day out there. About the only real accurate pass Rodgers threw all day and he drops the fucking thing. Whether it should have been called or not, he put his hand in the back of the guy who made the tackle on Cobb's return with all eyes on him, and then immediately comes out on offense, presents Rodgers a target with his defender blocked out, then inexplicably drifts toward the sideline so said defender has a free INT that turns out making the game close again.

Also, Bishop was abused in TE coverage and made to look a fool on the failed 2 point conversion. No way does he warrant not being labeled a loser.

Refs were losers for allowing TB receivers to push off for the first quarter or two, but they finally called the 5th or 6th instance in the endzone, which doesn't absolve them of being asshats, however.

It hard to argue for Jones, though are you talking about the back shoulder throw early?

What I want to know is why Bishop (on the 2 pointer) and everyone else was slipping and falling. I thought Peprah had a tougher time in coverage.

I would also argue that it took until the second half for the refs to call holding on Tampa's DBs. But the refs did manage to screw up in the Packers favor as well.

Pugger
11-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Jones was not the culprit on that block in the back. If you get a chance to see the game again you'll see another Packer player - I can't recall which one - was the guilty party. The ref called out the wrong guy.

But it is becoming plain to see that Jones is not the WR Nelson is.

SkinBasket
11-21-2011, 08:38 AM
It hard to argue for Jones, though are you talking about the back shoulder throw early?

Yeah, the back shoulder throw on the first drive that was kept alive by stumblebutt Masthay.

yooperfan
11-21-2011, 08:45 AM
stumblebutt Masthay.

Did Masthay think he was playing Australian Rules Football having to bounce the ball every couple yards???

pbmax
11-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Yeah, the back shoulder throw on the first drive that was kept alive by stumblebutt Masthay.

I always wonder how they get on the same page for that. The last time I heard it discussed, the players made it sound like an adjustment made during the route (depended on position of coverage). If true, then Jones had to use the wrong technique to get he body turned around because he only got one arm back for the ball, otherwise, for all the world, he looked surprised.

Harlan Huckleby
11-21-2011, 10:21 AM
But it is becoming plain to see that Jones is not the WR Nelson is.

I'm a James Jones fan/apologist, but I predicted Nelson would be better player back in his rookie year (maybe 2nd year, memory sometimes plays tricks.) So for the elite armchair GMs, it has been apparent for a while. It is becoming plain for the mouth breathing fans.

denverYooper
11-21-2011, 11:25 AM

What I want to know is why Bishop (on the 2 pointer) and everyone else was slipping and falling. I thought Peprah had a tougher time in coverage.

I would also argue that it took until the second half for the refs to call holding on Tampa's DBs. But the refs did manage to screw up in the Packers favor as well.

They were playing very physically, from what I could tell. Trying to mess with GBs timing. I think that kind of game plays well to Jordy's strengths though - he's pretty physical and good at knowing when to improvise a bit.

hoosier
11-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Losers
DJ Smith going after the on-side kick before it went 10 yards was a real brainfart. Fortunately for him the kicker barely touched the ball before he did.

Smith claims he was just trying to take out the kicker, which was his assignment:
"I was going after him, I wasn't going after the ball," Smith said. "My job is to attack him and get him before he gets the ball. Don't take any chances."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-special-teams-escape-with-only-a-blemish-or34j0h-134221828.html

pbmax
11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Smith claims he was just trying to take out the kicker, which was his assignment:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-special-teams-escape-with-only-a-blemish-or34j0h-134221828.html

That makes some sense. Unlike my initial reaction, the replay showed he hit the kickers arm or hand first and then I am not sure he came into direct contact with the ball. But it was so close, one slightly different bounce and its their ball. On a straight ahead drag onside kick, it might be best to run away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pmu5sRIizdw#t=120s

Guiness
11-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Did Masthay think he was playing Australian Rules Football having to bounce the ball every couple yards???

I missed this? What happened? Any chance of a highlight video?

Cheesehead Craig
11-21-2011, 01:41 PM
They were playing very physically, from what I could tell. Trying to mess with GBs timing. I think that kind of game plays well to Jordy's strengths though - he's pretty physical and good at knowing when to improvise a bit.

It does. Jordy has the strength to fight that off and accelerates very quickly often leaving defenders behind. A fine little addtion to the team he's been.

Guiness
11-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Did Neale play?

yooperfan
11-21-2011, 01:56 PM

Sure looked to me like he was diving for the ball.

I missed this? What happened? Any chance of a highlight video?

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Masthay-thinks-quickly-gets-first-down/548071fc-7900-4dc6-838c-7eb81de73c3b

Upnorth
11-21-2011, 02:20 PM
So the only bad play I saw with bishop was the two point convert where him fell down. I am not willing to label him a loser for one bad play out of 50 odd plays.

Also did anyone get to arod past newhouse? I missed the start of the game, and I saw a decent game from newhouse.

SkinBasket
11-21-2011, 02:27 PM
So the only bad play I saw with bishop was the two point convert where him fell down. I am not willing to label him a loser for one bad play out of 50 odd plays.

His coverage was terrible all day. Then again, some would argue that he shouldn't be covering TEs. Some would argue that perhaps we need a linebacker who can.

hoosier
11-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Sure looked to me like he was diving for the ball.

If Smith is to be believed I guess that speaks to the ambiguity of his assignment. In going after a kicker who is trying to surround and cradle a bouncing ball, it's going to be hard to distinguish them. It does make me wonder how they teach that assignment: "Take out the kicker who is going for the ball but be sure not to let the ball hit you while you're doing it!" How is that supposed to work?

Guiness
11-21-2011, 02:41 PM
If Smith is to be believed I guess that speaks to the ambiguity of his assignment. In going after a kicker who is trying to surround and cradle a bouncing ball, it's going to be hard to distinguish them. It does make me wonder how they teach that assignment: "Take out the kicker who is going for the ball but be sure not to let the ball hit you while you're doing it!" How is that supposed to work?

I think the biggest thing is that he failed to realize where the 10 yard mark was. It's not like it was close, the ball was 3-4 yards short.

pbmax
11-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Some would argue that perhaps we need a linebacker who can.

Those somes are absolutely right. The others can get lost.

pbmax
11-21-2011, 02:46 PM

I would like that play better if it was the kickers job to take out Smith. :)

I have seen the dribble onside kick before, but it seems horribly difficult to both execute, follow and recover for the same person. Does anyone remember seeing it work?

Ballboy
11-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Couple things to add:

Sheilds is/was a huge problem, he has NOT progressed to anything better this year. His coverage is bad, gets beat off the line, then fails to find the ball in the air. If nobody has the like of Nate Bureslon(sp??) from Detroit for FF, I would pick him up!!

Newhouse - I agree 100% with the earlier post, he seems to get set well, and push a defender past the QB, but then seems to lack the finishing touches on the play.....several times he pushed the rusher past the QB, but then seemed to no be able to re-engage to prevent a sack/hurry....in the running game, he again got the intial block, but didnt hold it long enough.

Equipment people - its pretty sad when the home team is slipping & sliding more than the visitors.

Overall on defense I got the feeling MM decided to use more players because of the short work week. Clay was out on several plays, Raji and others. SO, some of the yardage given up should be attributed to that.

yooperfan
11-21-2011, 04:55 PM
oh ya..... The slipping. That seems to be a problem in Lambeau this year. Whats going on with that?
I guess when it freezes it won't matter.