PDA

View Full Version : OT: Breakthrough at the driving range.......

RashanGary
04-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm somewhat new to golf. I've been working on my swing getting the kinks worked out. This is my second year golfing and I probably swing just to swing about 20 - 100 times a day.

Anyway, I was at the range slicing the hell out if it like I always do when an older fella walked up. He was wearing sandles and didn't look like your typical golf pro. I have to admit though; it was amazing how much control he had on his irons. He was dropping the ball right on one of these elevated greens every time he hit it. I think he noticed that I was watching him to try to duplicate whatever it was he was doing and he stopped and said "Your opening up your swing right about *THERE*....". I thought to myself "oh yeah, your right". I took a couple more swings and noticed my slice start to disappear.

Long story short; I just spent 2 hours hitting 200 balls and now I have complete control over my swing. I'm not launching it 250 like I used to but I'm hitting it 150 right down the middle with my driver and I have a picture perfect draw on the ball.

I've never had so much fun...I can't wait to get out on the course and show my inlaws what is up. They've been golfing their whole lives and I think I'm ready to compete. Well, this semester is drawing to an end and I've spent more time working on my swing than I have doing the 6 papers I still have to turn in. Thats alright.....C's get degrees and hitting the ball straight is fucking priceless.

This topic doesn't belong and I'm sorry for anyone who reads this but I'm as competitive as the good lord makes them and I lost every game I golfed last year. *OUCH*

I just had to share my golf breakthrough with someone.

pacfan
04-11-2006, 04:15 PM
sounds like you were'nt 'breaking your wrists' and blocking the club head on your swing. or you're gripping the club to hard when you want to smash the ball.

at least that was my problem when I had my slice.

the courses should be opening soon..... :D

Fosco33
04-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Nice work, NC.

I also started golfing seriously last year. Out here in Cali, it's basically a year round 'sport' so that equals about 3 years in Sconnie :lol:

I picked up a pretty good swing with a club called the Medicus. It's about $100 and you can get either/both a driver or iron. It's a dual-hinge driver that points out about 6 points where most average joe's screw up their swing - it's worth the investment IMO.

Nothing feels better than a Saturday morning - smoking a cig, drinking a beer and dropping birds on a course.

Cheers-

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Tip numero uno for beginning golfers, spend time on the putting surface and around the greens chipping. Remember you can go to any local course and do that for free.

Yesterday was a fantastic day here in southeastern Wisconsin and I went and hit a bucket of balls, I ordered a medium because I also wanted to get in the batting cage and work on my swing in there as well, and when I gave the gal a ten and all I got back was 2 singles and a quarter, I was like, I only ordered a medium, and she was like I know, 7.75 please.

What the fuck is that? From now on I am going to go to the muney and just chip and putt and to hell with the rest, it is to fucking expensive to learn how to shape a shot consistently.

Fosco33
04-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Tip numero uno for beginning golfers, spend time on the putting surface and around the greens chipping. Remember you can go to any local course and do that for free.

Yesterday was a fantastic day here in southeastern Wisconsin and I went and hit a bucket of balls, I ordered a medium because I also wanted to get in the batting cage and work on my swing in there as well, and when I gave the gal a ten and all I got back was 2 singles and a quarter, I was like, I only ordered a medium, and she was like I know, 7.75 please.

What the fuck is that? From now on I am going to go to the muney and just chip and putt and to hell with the rest, it is to fucking expensive to learn how to shape a shot consistently.

Drive for show, putt for dough. If Woods hadn't muffed a few of those chips in the water and missed some 5 footers, he'd be that much closer to Jack this past weekend :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
04-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Actually, you could argue that Fred Couples played the best from tee to green. If Freddie had putted even remotely average (he hit 16 of 18 greens on Sunday, but missed at least a half dozen makeable putts), he would have won going away. He would have been walking away with his second green jacket. Oh well! Mickelson doesn't have to apologize. He's lost plenty of majors over the years because he couldn't get it done with the short stick, but his putting was exceptional, and you have to do that to win at Augusta.

Sparkey
04-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Actually, you could argue that Fred Couples played the best from tee to green. If Freddie had putted even remotely average (he hit 16 of 18 greens on Sunday, but missed at least a half dozen makeable putts), he would have won going away. He would have been walking away with his second green jacket. Oh well! Mickelson doesn't have to apologize. He's lost plenty of majors over the years because he couldn't get it done with the short stick, but his putting was exceptional, and you have to do that to win at Augusta.

I believe its like 60+% of your shots in a round are made on or within 10 yards of the green.

I bought a medicus dual-hinged driver last spring. Was a bit sceptical about how well it would work, but i tell ya what, that things is incredible. It forces you to learn how too swing on plane and most deviations will cause the club to collapse so you know exactly when your hands or arms just went out of synch.

Fosco33
04-11-2006, 05:54 PM

You're right, Harv - but I've never seen Tiger putt that poorly before on a Major Sunday... Everyone was pulling for Freddie - plenty of pressure and those greens are ridiculous!

Guiness
04-11-2006, 06:09 PM
heh. roundbellies.

I'll have time to golf when I'm near dead, living in Florida with my pants pulled up too high. Until then, I'll stick with something more strenuous...like bowling.

Fosco33
04-11-2006, 06:21 PM
heh. roundbellies.

I'll have time to golf when I'm near dead, living in Florida with my pants pulled up too high. Until then, I'll stick with something more strenuous...like bowling.

Ha... the main reason I took up golf was for the business angle (i.e., getting paid to hang w/ rich guys). I also play raquetball, b-ball and used to teach Muay Thai boxing on 1st St in MKE. Not everyone who plays golf is a 'roundbelly'. Oh - and bowling rocks - you're out of your element, Donnie.
:lol:

RashanGary
04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
hmmm...dual hinge huh....

Fosco33
04-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Did you guys know that the Bus is a bowler? Check this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/04/11/bettis.bowling.ap/index.html

MJZiggy
04-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Well now that he's retired and has the time...

Deputy Nutz
04-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Ha... the main reason I took up golf was for the business angle (i.e., getting paid to hang w/ rich guys). I also play raquetball, b-ball and used to teach Muay Thai boxing on 1st St in MKE. Not everyone who plays golf is a 'roundbelly'. Oh - and bowling rocks - you're out of your element, Donnie.

I want to get into Muay Thai. I have the wrestling background, and would like to work on my striking a little bit. Besides it is a great workout.

Fosco33
04-13-2006, 12:39 AM

I want to get into Muay Thai. I have the wrestling background, and would like to work on my striking a little bit. Besides it is a great workout.

Check out this site. If you're in the Milwaukee area, this is by far the best gym. There's also a cool 'underground' club in Madtown. Duke Roufus is one of the best instructors in the nation - former superheavyweight champ and does the announcer thing on ESPN from time to time.

http://www.dukeroufusgym.com/news.html

Tarlam!
04-14-2006, 08:54 AM
hmmm...dual hinge huh....

I know what he means. I have the 5-iron, same principle. I like it, but I hate practicing - period!

GBRulz
04-14-2006, 09:26 AM
I'm somewhat new to golf. I've been working on my swing getting the kinks worked out. This is my second year golfing and I probably swing just to swing about 20 - 100 times a day.

Anyway, I was at the range slicing the hell out if it like I always do when an older fella walked up. He was wearing sandles and didn't look like your typical golf pro. I have to admit though; it was amazing how much control he had on his irons. He was dropping the ball right on one of these elevated greens every time he hit it. I think he noticed that I was watching him to try to duplicate whatever it was he was doing and he stopped and said "Your opening up your swing right about *THERE*....". I thought to myself "oh yeah, your right". I took a couple more swings and noticed my slice start to disappear.

Long story short; I just spent 2 hours hitting 200 balls and now I have complete control over my swing. I'm not launching it 250 like I used to but I'm hitting it 150 right down the middle with my driver and I have a picture perfect draw on the ball.

I've never had so much fun...I can't wait to get out on the course and show my inlaws what is up. They've been golfing their whole lives and I think I'm ready to compete. Well, this semester is drawing to an end and I've spent more time working on my swing than I have doing the 6 papers I still have to turn in. Thats alright.....C's get degrees and hitting the ball straight is fucking priceless.

This topic doesn't belong and I'm sorry for anyone who reads this but I'm as competitive as the good lord makes them and I lost every game I golfed last year. *OUCH*

Good job, NC. I have been golfing for just over 20 years now. It helped that I grew up living on a golf course in FL!

One thing you'll find out is that you THINK you have perfected a part of your game....for a couple years its going really well and then the next year you get out and can't do anything right and that's when you decide...screw it, go to the clubhouse, at least I can drink a beer correctly!!

I bought a new bertha 12 degree driver about 4 years ago, I finally started hitting it decent late last year. So, don't ever give up, all you can do is practice...

I have a golf card for buy one get one free at many area courses, so if you are ever up for a round, i'm all for it. and I promise to refrain from hitting you over the head with a club...although it might be tempting... :wink:

one thing that I will never do again is take a beginning golfer to Thornberry Creek. thornberry as some of you know, is one of GB's most prestigous public courses, of which many of the Packer players live on. Million dollar homes galore. My friend broke the window of Andrew Brandt's house. let' just say that this guy was a complete asshole about it...sheesh, not like he meant to beak the window. We went up to the house after he broke the window and Mrs. Brandt comes to the door "oh, what window did you break, I didn't hear anything break". Gosh, I wish my house was large enough to where if I was home, I wouldn't be able to hear a window breaking, lol.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Rivers Rutherford and Myself will run up your way one day and hit you up for some golf. We're silly that way. Maybe next week you never know.

Sparkey
04-14-2006, 10:31 AM

Good job, NC. I have been golfing for just over 20 years now. It helped that I grew up living on a golf course in FL!

One thing you'll find out is that you THINK you have perfected a part of your game....for a couple years its going really well and then the next year you get out and can't do anything right and that's when you decide...screw it, go to the clubhouse, at least I can drink a beer correctly!!

I bought a new bertha 12 degree driver about 4 years ago, I finally started hitting it decent late last year. So, don't ever give up, all you can do is practice...

I have a golf card for buy one get one free at many area courses, so if you are ever up for a round, i'm all for it. and I promise to refrain from hitting you over the head with a club...although it might be tempting... :wink:

one thing that I will never do again is take a beginning golfer to Thornberry Creek. thornberry as some of you know, is one of GB's most prestigous public courses, of which many of the Packer players live on. Million dollar homes galore. My friend broke the window of Andrew Brandt's house. let' just say that this guy was a complete asshole about it...sheesh, not like he meant to beak the window. We went up to the house after he broke the window and Mrs. Brandt comes to the door "oh, what window did you break, I didn't hear anything break". Gosh, I wish my house was large enough to where if I was home, I wouldn't be able to hear a window breaking, lol.

I golfed the Brown County Municipal Course on two occasions last year. The first was in early may and there was some major winter kill going on, but by early August when I golfed in a New York Life benefit tournament, they had most of the damaged areas repaired.

A very nice course too play. Never played Thornberry, but know where it is. I never much liked courses that had houses right off the fairways.

Have you golfed any of the Kohler courses or The Bull ? The rivers course at Blackwolf is still the best of their four 18 hole courses. The views are unreal and since my bro works there, I can golf for something like $79 w/cart

In fact, I am heading to Whispering Springs Saturday morning for a 10:15am tee time. Course is in great shape for April. The last week of warmer weather has really greened up the course.

Always interesting the first time out! :lol:

Little Whiskey
04-14-2006, 11:32 AM
in college i used to work at a driving range and on the grounds crew at a milw county course. however i have only actually played golf once in my life. i just could never see the sense of chasing that white ball around the course. my job at the course was to cut fairways, roughs and sometimes my job was to change the pin placement. Being the smart ass that i am i would love to screw with those golfers. as i'm cutting the grass some idiot would hit into me i would run that damn ball over with the mower. which would shoot the ball off into the woods somewhere, usually leaving it with a large slice in the cover. some times i would mow the rough longer than usual to watch these pissed off golfers trying to find there balls. and my absolute fav thing to do was pin placement. the number 6 hole was a short par 3 the back left corner of the green dropped off like a cliff. when i was cutting cups guess were i place that pin. yep right on that crease. i would sit back in the woods and watch these golfers come up and 4 or 5 put that hole. priceless!!! usually they would complain and we would have to go out and change it to a better location, but man it was worth it to watch them throw there clubs and balls in disgust after that hole.