PDA

View Full Version : Donald Driver

RashanGary
11-21-2011, 02:05 AM
He's earning more playing time and more targets. The idea was to phase him out, but he's earning his way back on the field. Finley and Jones are showing over and over that they're not quite in tune with AR. Driver is making plays every chance he gets.

I'm a big "youth" wins football games guy, but Driver is outplaying Finley and Jones right now with his opportunities. We can all sit and say, "well, Finley had some tough drops" Nelson has had tough catches. Jennings and Driver have too. . . . It's no excuse. Driver is playing like he belongs on the field.

Our coaches seem true to the, "play the guys who are earning it" philosophy. I expect more Driver and less Jones. If Finley at WR means Driver is off the field, he needs to be back at TE a lot more.

We did push #4 out a year too early, but there were other reasons for that. It's not time to push 80 aside. He's proving that every chance he gets.

channtheman
11-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Meh, I think it's Driver's last year as a Packer. He may very well go play 2-3 more years elsewhere similar to how Jerry Rice jumped around at the end of his career. I just don't see him playing for us next year.

pittstang5
11-21-2011, 06:38 AM
When the going gets rough, imo, Driver is the go to guy as evident yesterday. I'd love to see him play more, especially on Thursday. He has owned the Lions in years past when playing in Detroit. I just hope he has a little more left in the tank for Thursday.

bobblehead
11-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Double D is one of my all time favorites, but I do think he is in his last year. He MIGHT last one more if he takes a pay cut and no one emerges that the coaches want to develope, but I'm betting against it at this point....he does still look quick as a dart though.

RashanGary
11-21-2011, 08:08 AM
I don't know what they'll do next year. For right now, he's earned his way on the field. To me, he's done more with his chances than Finley or Jones.

As in tune as Aaron Rodgers is with his game right now, the fine details in chemistry make a lot of difference. There are subtle route adjustments on many plays. If AR doesn't know where you're going to be, he's not going to trust throwing it. For example, Finley was running that crosser/slant route (whatever it was) I have no idea why he was looking over his inside shoulder when the DB was behind him. Clearly AR would throw away from the DB leverage. Nelson, Driver and Jennings get it. Driver needs to play more right now. Finley needs to play TE. He's sucking ass at WR.

Brandon494
11-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Finley is one of the most skilled pass catching tight ends in football, no matter what the numbers tell you. We get your point that you don't like him, it's no need to keep creating these threads just to make your point. DD is on his last leg and we have his replacement in Cobb while there are only 3-5 guys in the NFL who can replace Finley.

gbgary
11-21-2011, 08:48 AM
i believe this will be his last year...but him coming back for one more wouldn't surprise me.

Bossman641
11-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Complete overreaction. I love driver but he has been mostly invisible this year and has more than his share of drops. Not sure why jones and finley get ripped every time they have a bad game.

Packgator
11-21-2011, 11:08 AM
The idea was to phase him out, but he's earning his way back on the field.

Who's "idea" was this? Driver is 3rd amoung Packers WR's in receptions with 22. Which is probably right about what they were looking for from him after 10 games. For what its worth...I'd say Drivers season is going pretty much as planned.

denverYooper
11-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Driver made a huge difference yesterday with some outstanding 3rd down play.

I think he will stick around for one more Superbowl win and then think about retiring. And I hope that is the way it plays out.

Guiness
11-21-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't know about next season either, but you go with the guys who give you the most right now, and right now that seems to me to be Driver. If the coaches feel the same way, and Rodgers finds him, he'll get those balls. I'm not sure where Finley fits into this discussion? I guess because Finley should be making catches over the middle, which is where DD makes his living?

Gunakor
11-22-2011, 04:11 AM
there are only 3-5 guys in the NFL who can replace Finley.

Unless Andrew Quarless and Tom Crabtree are 2 of the 5 guys you're thinking of I don't buy your statement. Those 2 guys replaced Finley just fine last season. Each are wearing rings as proof. Neither can do what Finley does, true, but this offense doesn't need Finley to do what Finley does either. Finley would be more irreplaceable if he played on an offense that truly needed him. We don't.

Brandon494
11-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Unless Andrew Quarless and Tom Crabtree are 2 of the 5 guys you're thinking of I don't buy your statement. Those 2 guys replaced Finley just fine last season. Each are wearing rings as proof. Neither can do what Finley does, true, but this offense doesn't need Finley to do what Finley does either. Finley would be more irreplaceable if he played on an offense that truly needed him. We don't.

Yea because we all know that Quarless and Crabtree require double teams from defenses. There is a reason why you always see Jordy Nelson in single coverage with no safety help. You really trying to compare Quarless and Crabtree to Finley? I guess Bush could replace Woodson too, I mean he has a ring to prove it. I agree we don't truly need Finley but with him we are the best offensive team in the league with all the match-up problems we give to the opposing defense with him.

Gunakor
11-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Yea because we all know that Quarless and Crabtree require double teams from defenses. There is a reason why you always see Jordy Nelson in single coverage with no safety help. You really trying to compare Quarless and Crabtree to Finley? I guess Bush could replace Woodson too, I mean he has a ring to prove it. I agree we don't truly need Finley but with him we are the best offensive team in the league with all the match-up problems we give to the opposing defense with him.

No, I'm not trying to compare anybody. The point is that we don't need an elite pass catching TE to win with this offense, so Finley can be replaced by just about anybody. If Finley played on another team, perhaps your original comment would have been more accurate. You said only 3-5 guys in the NFL can replace him, when Quarless and Crabtree replaced him just fine one season ago. I know you like him and all, but we really don't need him to win. That's what the ring says.

mmmdk
11-22-2011, 08:52 AM
DD > JJ

Brandon494
11-22-2011, 09:03 AM
So if we win again does that mean we don't need Collins? Yes we won the Super Bowl without Finley but that doesn't change the fact that only 3-5 guys in the league could replace his talents on this team. Now we have guys who can fill in for him but obviously we aren't going to ask them to do the samethings we ask of Finley because frankly they can't.

Upnorth
11-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Double D is one of my all time favorites, but I do think he is in his last year. He MIGHT last one more if he takes a pay cut and no one emerges that the coaches want to develope, but I'm betting against it at this point....he does still look quick as a dart though.

Agree with most of this, assuming we don't get another rookie wr in the draft. If we do and he is as good as Cobb then we will say 'thanks for the memories' to #80.
If we do let him go, he will sign on somewhere.

Teamcheez1
11-22-2011, 09:11 AM
DD > JJ

DD is due over $5M in salary and bonuses next year. No we we bring him back at that cost.

pbmax
11-22-2011, 09:17 AM
No, I'm not trying to compare anybody. The point is that we don't need an elite pass catching TE to win with this offense, so Finley can be replaced by just about anybody. If Finley played on another team, perhaps your original comment would have been more accurate. You said only 3-5 guys in the NFL can replace him, when Quarless and Crabtree replaced him just fine one season ago. I know you like him and all, but we really don't need him to win. That's what the ring says.

You are just splitting a hair there. Everyone has a replacement ready. The dropoff is what counts. What if a WR is hurt in the playoff run? Then do Quarless and Crabtree work as effectively?

Why handicap yourself? Its conceivable the Packers could win without Wells, Grant, Newhouse, Jones or Hawk. Why resign any of them?

This argument is ludicrous. Of course there is a price he is not worth. But that doesn't mean he should be allowed to walk for less. There needs to be a good reason to let his talent leave and "we won without him" is not persuasive enough.

Upnorth
11-22-2011, 09:19 AM
You are just splitting a hair there. Everyone has a replacement ready. The dropoff is what counts. What is a WR is hurt in the playoff run? Then do Quarless and Crabtree work as effectively?

Why handicap yourself? Its conceivable the Packers could win without Wells, Grant, Newhouse, Jones or Hawk. Why resign any of them?

This argument is ludicrous. Of course there is a price he is not worth. But that doesn't mean he should be allowed to walk for less. There needs to be a good reason to let his talent leave and "we won without him" is not persuasive enough.

What is the franchise cost for a TE, 5mil or so? I think Finley is worth about 7/ yr over a 5 year contract. Expensive early, cheap late.

pbmax
11-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Yes, Witten is the highest paid annually at $7.4 million, and the franchise tag is expected by Andrew Brandt to be between $5.4 and $5.6 million.

gbgary
11-22-2011, 11:07 AM
a finley discussion again? look, without finley we're a weaker team! whoever's in favor of weaker speak up.

Upnorth
11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
a finley discussion again? look, without finley we're a weaker team! whoever's in favor of weaker speak up.

WHo's this Weaker you speak of, is he a draft prospect?

Brandon494
11-22-2011, 05:28 PM
http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/11/22/11/Finley-wants-to-be-the-NFLs-best-tight-e/landing.html?blockID=610082&feedID=9250

Through 10 games, Finley is ninth in the league among tight ends in yards and tied for fifth in touchdowns.

But the value he adds, according to a loaded group of Packers wide receivers, comes simply from Finley being on the field.

"He's going to always bring attention," veteran receiver Donald Driver said. "People know how good he is. He has his presence. When teams go out there, they know they have to put pressure on Jermichael, they have to jam Jermichael and they have to try to take him away. They have to disrupt him any way possible. That's what makes him such a great tight end."

Gunakor
11-23-2011, 12:49 AM
You are just splitting a hair there. Everyone has a replacement ready. The dropoff is what counts. What if a WR is hurt in the playoff run? Then do Quarless and Crabtree work as effectively?

The argument has nothing to do with cost or whether we should have him back. Very specifically, Brandon says only 3-5 guys in the NFL can replace Finley. That's the argument, not whether we want him back or what he's worth.

Quarless and Crabtree replaced him last season, and while there may have been a dropoff it was irrelevant in the end. We won the Super Bowl. Nothing else matters. That's the goal. So, did Quarless and Crabtree adequately replace Finley? The answer is a resounding YES. Neither Quarless nor Crabtree are particularly awesome, so it is my opinion that just about anybody in the league could replace Finley here in Green Bay and we'd still win. Maybe they can't do what Finley does but who the hell cares when they're sizing you for rings? If winning is all that matters then what are we arguing about?

smuggler
11-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Yeah, look how much better our offense is this year with Finley versus last year without. And the D has regressed, so until we get the pass rush back on track, we need all the O we can get, and that means keeping Finley for now. Sorry haters.

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Some one saying JMike is replaceable does not make him a hater. If everything you replaced ment you hated itthen really you would have to hate everything, your car, your toothbrush. The question is at what point does it make sense to replace it. I think everyone wants jmike on the team, some just want him more than others. If we can get him for 7 mil per I say go for it. He does disrupt coverage, he does create massive coverage decision. We are currently in a new era of TE' and jmike is for sure top 10, possible top 5 and worth keeping around.

DD is great to have around as well and if we don't draft a new wr would like him to stay at less pay.

Brandon494
11-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Someone doesn't understand the difference between replacing someone and "filling in". Just because we won last season without Finley doesn't change the fact that we are a better team with him.

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Someone doesn't understand the difference between replacing someone and "filling in". Just because we won last season without Finley doesn't change the fact that we are a better team with him.

Now that is an excellent analysis of the argument.

pbmax
11-23-2011, 08:14 AM
The argument has nothing to do with cost or whether we should have him back. Very specifically, Brandon says only 3-5 guys in the NFL can replace Finley. That's the argument, not whether we want him back or what he's worth.

Quarless and Crabtree replaced him last season, and while there may have been a dropoff it was irrelevant in the end. We won the Super Bowl. Nothing else matters. That's the goal. So, did Quarless and Crabtree adequately replace Finley? The answer is a resounding YES. Neither Quarless nor Crabtree are particularly awesome, so it is my opinion that just about anybody in the league could replace Finley here in Green Bay and we'd still win. Maybe they can't do what Finley does but who the hell cares when they're sizing you for rings? If winning is all that matters then what are we arguing about?

Because you do not stay competitive by staying the same. Just because of success without Finley does not mean that it is better to NOT have him. The Packers, McCarthy and Rodgers solved the offenses sluggishness without Finley for the final six game plus playoffs (after the Dallas reg season game I think). There is no guarantee that success can be duplicated. Not to mention that the offense is on a better streak even now.

Pugger
11-23-2011, 10:42 AM
JN > DD > JJ

RashanGary
11-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I'd like to see Driver getting more targets. He's making the most of his chances, especially lately. Play the hot hand. He looks better than he has in a long time. Looks like the Driver we're used to seeing.

Brandon494
11-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I'd like to see Rodger continue what he is doing by not forcing the ball to any one player. Too much talent in this recieving core to lock in on any one player. The Packers offense is based on looking for single coverage and exploiting it. That's why I think you've seen Nelson take over as Rodgers' favorite receiver lately.

mraynrand
11-23-2011, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see Rodger continue what he is doing by not forcing the ball to any one player. Too much talent in this recieving core to lock in on any one player. The Packers offense is based on looking for single coverage and exploiting it. That's why I think you've seen Nelson take over as Rodgers' favorite receiver lately.

Yep. But not just single coverage - matchups. When the Bucs put their top guy on Jennings, you go to the guy who has a lesser DB covering him. That was Nelson all day Sunday. Jennings was pretty much shut down by Talib. Even the time Jennings got open deep Talib was able to close and make a play. So go fry 'em with Nelson, who presents a mismatch for most teams' number 2 DB.

smuggler
11-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, Jennings was able to burn Talib deep one time for what might have been a touchdown, but Rodgers underthrew Jennigns and Talib batted it.

mraynrand
11-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Jennings was able to burn Talib deep one time for what might have been a touchdown, but Rodgers underthrew Jennigns and Talib batted it.

It's probably a good thing Rodgers has to prepare for Detroit, because otherwise he'd be kicking himself pretty good in the film review for at least two lost opportunities where Talib undercut Jennings and the deeper ball and a lot of yardage was there for the taking.