PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Positions After Week Eleven

CaliforniaCheez
11-21-2011, 05:23 AM
NFC

First Round Bye
1) Packers (1) (Winning % 1.000 > 49'ers .900)
2) 49'ers (2) (Winning % .900 > Saints .700)

Division Winners
3) Saints (3) (Winning % .700 > Cowboys .600)
4) Cowboys (7) (Div winning % .667 > Giants .333)

Wild Cards
5) Lions (5) (Divisional winning % .667 > Bears .500)
6) Bears (6) (Winning % .700 > Falcons .600)

The Rest in Order:
7) Falcons (8) (Conf winning % .500 > Giants .429)
8) Giants (4) (Winning % .600 > Seahawks .400)
9) Seahawks (10) (Conf winning % .500 > Eagles .444)
10) Eagles (12) (Conf winning % .444 > Buccaneers .375)
11) Buccaneers (9) (Winning % .400 > Redskins .300)
12) Redskins (13) (Head to head win over Cardinals)
13) Cardinals (11) (Winning % .300 > vikings .200)
14) vikings (14) (Conference Winning % .286 > Rams .125)
15) Rams (15) (Strength of Victory .550 > Panthers .300)
16) Panthers (16)

I will update the AFC positions after MNF.

The Packers are still holding onto their slight lead for No. 1 position. Even if they lose on Thanksgiving they still can maintain #1 for 2 more weeks with a better conference record than the 49'ers.

The Lions can still win the NFC North. Thursday they can either be 4 games back with 5 to go or they can be 2 games back with 5 to go.

The conference is now divided into 8 teams with 6 wins or more competing for the 6 playoff spots; and the losers with 4 wins or less. Now on only the top 8 matter.

Big games this week:
Packers v. Lions (Go Pack Go!!)
49'ers v. Ravens (C'mon Ravens)
Giants v. Saints (Go Giants)

Minor games
(add to the Packers Strength of Victory and Strength of Schedule)
Panthers to beat the Colts
Buccaneers to beat the Titans
Chargers to beat the Broncos

Redskins to beat the Seahawks (lower the 49'ers SOV and SOS)

channtheman
11-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I think it would be hilarious if the 49ers went 15-1 and got the 2 seed because we went 16-0.

SkinBasket
11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
The 49ers would/will kill GB in the play-offs.

pbmax
11-21-2011, 10:12 AM
The 49ers would/will kill GB in the play-offs.

Their best win is versus the Bucs. Most impressive is versus the Lions on the road. I am not sold on them yet.

The team to fear might have been the Texans with Schaub.

SkinBasket
11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't like that their defense is strong and ours is suspect. That their run defense is one of the best while our running game has returned to the days of Darrell Thompson. I do not like that match-up at all and hope it does not happen.

channtheman
11-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Their strength is against something we don't need to do. How is the 49er's pass defense?

SkinBasket
11-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Their strength is against something we don't need to do. How is the 49er's pass defense?

5th in opposing QB rating
9th in COMP%
8th in yds/att
23rd in yards
13th in TD allowed
14 INT and 25 sacks

SF is good enough to stop our running "attack" with their passing defense. Our O-line needs to find jesus if they think they could hold off their rush.

Their rush D:

1st in yards
4th in yds/att
2nd most fumbles forced
ZERO TDs allowed on the ground

Meanwhile, their offense is conservative, but efficient. Against our defense, they'll look like juggernauts.

CaliforniaCheez
11-21-2011, 11:04 PM
AFC

First Round Bye
1) Patriots (3) (Strength of Victory .471 > Texans .371)
2) Ravens (5) (Head to head win over Texans)

Division Winners
3) Texans (1) (Winning % .700 > Raiders .600)
4) Raiders (4) (Winning % .600 > Broncos .500)

Wild Cards
5) Steelers (2) (Winning % .700 > Bengals .600)
6) Bengals (6) (Winning % .600 > Jets .500)

The rest in order:
7) Broncos (11) (Conf winning % .625 > Titans .500)
8) Titans (9) (Conf winning % .500 > Jets .444)
9) Jets (7) (Head to head win over Bills)
10) Bills (8) (Winning % .500 > Chargers .400)
11) Chargers (10) (Strength of Victory .350 > Browns .250)
12) Browns (14) (Conf winning % .429 > Chiefs .375)
13) Chiefs (12) (Winning % .400 > Jaguars .300)
14) Jaguars (13) (Conference winning % .375 > Dolphins .250)
15) Dolphins (15) (Winning % .300 > Colts .000)
16) Colts (16)

Lurker64
11-21-2011, 11:36 PM
The head to head matchup against the 49ers works to our advantage if the Packers can build a lead. San Francisco isn't built to come back from 2 scores down against anybody. It might be the game in which deferring might not be the right decision.

That being said, I fully expect New Orleans to defeat SF in the playoffs.

Upnorth
11-22-2011, 09:25 AM
The head to head matchup against the 49ers works to our advantage if the Packers can build a lead. San Francisco isn't built to come back from 2 scores down against anybody. It might be the game in which deferring might not be the right decision.

That being said, I fully expect New Orleans to defeat SF in the playoffs.

+1, but of all teams only SF looks like it might beat GB

CaliforniaCheez
11-22-2011, 02:45 PM
url=http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/packersclinch.html (http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/packersclinch.html)

The Packers can clinch a playoff spot this week, if they win.

The Packers need only one more win and one more loss by either the Cowboys or Giants to clinch the 2nd Wild Card spot.

It is the first step in the process. First you get into the playoffs and then with each additional win improve the path to the Super Bowl.

pbmax
11-22-2011, 05:50 PM
They're steeling your thunder Cheese!!

Need a Twitter account.

NFLfootballinfo Michael Signora
GB clinches playoff spot w/ WIN & DAL loss or tie & ATL loss. WIN & DAL loss or tie & NO loss. WIN & ATL loss & NYG loss or tie
6 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by TomSilverstein

Guiness
11-22-2011, 06:19 PM
+1, but of all teams only SF looks like it might beat GB

Let's see what happens Thursday, against Baltimore.

They've had a 'pansy' schedule. Their toughest win was probably Detroit, maybe the Giants. They beat Cincinnati, but the Bengals only scored 7 points. Other games than that, it's been a relatively easy ride for them.

SkinBasket
11-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Let's see what happens Thursday, against Baltimore.

They've had a 'pansy' schedule. Their toughest win was probably Detroit, maybe the Giants. They beat Cincinnati, but the Bengals only scored 7 points. Other games than that, it's been a relatively easy ride for them.

Could just be they made that ride easy.

Lurker64
11-22-2011, 08:47 PM
There's also something to be said about the playoffs simply being at a different level, and a team that hasn't been there before often finds themselves overwhelmed. I personally believe that the 2009 Packers were a little unprepared for the intensity of the playoff game and that had a lot to do with their struggles in the game against Arizona (offense struggled early, defense struggled throughout), and that having that opportunity in the previous year was essential for their 2010 playoff run. The 49ers haven't been in the playoffs for 9 years, I'm not convinced they won't just be a quick out due to the stage being bigger than they're prepared for. Jim Harbaugh doesn't have a lot of NFL playoffs experience, but he has a lot more than Alex Smith (who is nobody's captain consistency.)

MadtownPacker
11-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Bad ass like always CC! Im gonna have to tell raiders fans they are in the playoff right now. Im sure most of them dont know.

I initially considered if the 49ers have what it takes to beat GB in Lambeau but after further review I believe the D will hold up well against the SF offense. Thats was really my only concern. The offense should be able to put up the 20-24 needed to win in a bad weather game. The trick would be to score it all early like last years NFCC.

MadtownPacker
11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
There's also something to be said about the playoffs simply being at a different level, and a team that hasn't been there before often finds themselves overwhelmed. I personally believe that the 2009 Packers were a little unprepared for the intensity of the playoff game and that had a lot to do with their struggles in the game against Arizona (offense struggled early, defense struggled throughout), and that having that opportunity in the previous year was essential for their 2010 playoff run. The 49ers haven't been in the playoffs for 9 years, I'm not convinced they won't just be a quick out due to the stage being bigger than they're prepared for. Jim Harbaugh doesn't have a lot of NFL playoffs experience, but he has a lot more than Alex Smith (who is nobody's captain consistency.)This is where Im at also. I see too many of the 49ers components at risk for failure in a pressure situation. I have a feeling they might be one and done. I wont feel a damn bit different if they beat Baltimore on Thursday.

Guiness
11-22-2011, 11:35 PM

I hear ya, and yes, SF is definitely a better team than anyone was giving them credit for. But Seattle, Arizona and St-Louis aren't a murderous row. Philly has, to put it mildly, underachieved. Washington is 3-7, Tampa is under .500 and didn't take the step forward expected. Add Cleveland to that mix.

So, they've beaten Detroit and the Giants. Cincinnati has a good record, but I don't think anyone mistakes them for a contender.

I'm not saying the 49ers are bad, I'm saying they haven't been challenged.

channtheman
11-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Bad ass like always CC! Im gonna have to tell raiders fans they are in the playoff right now. Im sure most of them dont know.

I initially considered if the 49ers have what it takes to beat GB in Lambeau but after further review I believe the D will hold up well against the SF offense. Thats was really my only concern. The offense should be able to put up the 20-24 needed to win in a bad weather game. The trick would be to score it all early like last years NFCC.

Are Raiders fans really so stupid that they don't know if they are winning their division that they would be in the playoffs?

smuggler
11-23-2011, 05:23 AM
I suspect Vernon Davis would be a big pain in the ass in any playoff game we played against SF.

George Cumby
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
I suspect Vernon Davis would be a big pain in the ass in any playoff game we played against SF.

yawp. He's passed Brent Jones as all-time TD leader (as a tight end) for the Niners. He's doing something right, Jones was no slouch.

Listening to KNBR, flagship radio for the Niners out of San Francisco (generally solid programming all the way around, really listenable) and the talk is ALL Packers. They know a showdown with the GnG is coming and the radio boys are pretty confident in Harbaugh and what he's doing.

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Listening to KNBR, flagship radio for the Niners out of San Francisco (generally solid programming all the way around, really listenable) and the talk is ALL Packers. They know a showdown with the GnG is coming and the radio boys are pretty confident in Harbaugh and what he's doing.

Sounds like us in the early 90s as we were climbing up the hill but just not quite able to knock the Cowboys off. All talk at that time was about beating the Cowboys. Once you've won, then the talk centers more around what you as a team have to do to win each individual game, not who you have beat.

Zool
11-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Romo put up 427 yards
Vick put up 405
Manning put up 305

Thats a loss and 2 close wins. If you think the Packers O can't put up more than those 3 teams then yes maybe the 49'ers would win. They are a good team but they arent great.

Smidgeon
11-23-2011, 10:33 PM
This is where Im at also. I see too many of the 49ers components at risk for failure in a pressure situation. I have a feeling they might be one and done. I wont feel a damn bit different if they beat Baltimore on Thursday.

I read an article a while back that showed statistically that teams who rely on the run and run defense in the regular season rarely are successful in the playoffs. It's the passing teams with the passing defenses that take off then.