PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Showdown

CaliforniaCheez
11-21-2011, 06:17 AM
What's at stake?

A Lions win means:

The Lions can either be 2 games back of the Packers with 5 games to go plus another shot at the Packers.

Lions maintain top Wild Card team position.

A Lions loss means:
The Lions can be 4 games back of the Packers with 5 games remaining.

Drop into a fight for the #6 seed (The Bears move up this week if they and the Lions lose, Falcons have head to head tiebreaker)

The stakes are high for the Lions.

A Packers Win Means:

The Packers essentially lock up winning their division and extend lead for #1 playoff position by having 2 more conference wins than the 49'ers.

A Packers Loss Means:

If they lose they are still #1 in the conference with tiebreaker over the 49'ers and the chance of a perfect season is over, along with the media "pressure."

I expect a high scoring game. Something like 45-38.
The Packers defense leads the NFL in interceptions. A key INT will be the difference in the game.

sheepshead
11-21-2011, 06:27 AM
With Cutler gone, I think we're realistically looking at 1) staying healthy 2) staying healthy 3) staying ahead of the 49ers

bobblehead
11-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Bet the over. Could see 100 points in this game. We will have 51 of them.

vince
11-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Mark me down as concerned over this game. Detroit got a ton of pressure with their front four last year agiainst this o-line, and the o-line wasn't its sharpest against the Bucs. They aren't practicing in pads this week, so the they'll have a hard time repping the fundamentals they struggled with so they may not be much better next week against a much better d-line.

Combine that with some tough match-ups on the ohter side of the ball with a couple good Detroit TE's vs. a weak linebacking coverage unit and a big physical receiver vs. non-physical perimeter CB's. Football is about match-ups and based on the way the Packers are playing right now, there could be some tough match-ups this week.

Hopefully Rodgers, Jennings and Finley bounce back and make the Lions average defensive backs pay in the dome.

Pugger
11-21-2011, 07:43 AM
I think the lack of reps on fundimentals is the main culprit for ALL of our woes on offense AND defense. This is actually a bigger game for the lyins. I just want us to get out of there in one piece with a healthy Rodgers. It will be huge for us to get the win but a loss isn't the end of the world.

yooperfan
11-21-2011, 08:16 AM
If Starks is going to be out and Grant can't step it up, I worry the Lions
will be able to T off on the pass rush. Getting out healthy is first concern.....

But crushing the Lions hopes would be best...... after all watching the Lions
lose on Thanksgiving is an American tradition.

vince
11-21-2011, 08:31 AM
If Starks is going to be out and Grant can't step it up, I worry the Lions
will be able to T off on the pass rush. Getting out healthy is first concern.....

But crushing the Lions hopes would be best...... after all watching the Lions
lose on Thanksgiving is an American tradition.
Starks' presence may be missed most as an outlet receiver. He's been good lately catching and runnign when Rodgers checks down. Grant has caught the ball pretty well this year in his limited opportunities and maybe Saine gets some opportunities on 3rd down. That's where he seems to be at his best from what I've seen, read and heard about him.

Brandon494
11-21-2011, 09:05 AM
With Cutler gone, I think we're realistically looking at 1) staying healthy 2) staying healthy 3) staying ahead of the 49ers

I almost kinda want the 49ers to move above us, I think we match up better with them on the road rather than Green Bay.

gbgary
11-21-2011, 09:13 AM
I almost kinda want the 49ers to move above us, I think we match up better with them on the road rather than Green Bay.

i know what you're saying but no. i know we don't want weather affecting our play but if it's in GB it's affecting the other team too. what we need is a blow up roof. :)

pbmax
11-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Listening to Packer fans and columnists, its like the last 20 years never happened.

Harlan Huckleby
11-21-2011, 10:12 AM

I don't care much about staying ahead of 49ers. ya, it would be nice, but not worth getting undies in bundle over a regular season loss or two. No guarantee that San Fran makes it to championship if they are #1 seed. Pack can win in SF if need be, all the more challenge & glory if that's how it plays out.

denverYooper
11-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Mark me down as concerned over this game. Detroit got a ton of pressure with their front four last year agiainst this o-line, and the o-line wasn't its sharpest against the Bucs. They aren't practicing in pads this week, so the they'll have a hard time repping the fundamentals they struggled with so they may not be much better next week against a much better d-line.

Combine that with some tough match-ups on the ohter side of the ball with a couple good Detroit TE's vs. a weak linebacking coverage unit and a big physical receiver vs. non-physical perimeter CB's. Football is about match-ups and based on the way the Packers are playing right now, there could be some tough match-ups this week.

Hopefully Rodgers, Jennings and Finley bounce back and make the Lions average defensive backs pay in the dome.

I'm with you on the OL. In particular, the interior guys have struggled some lately. Not a good problem to be shoring up against the Lions.

Finley will be much needed this week. I won't be surprised to see Q get more looks in the passing game and more hurry-up if they need to gas the Lions.

Brad Jones played a little more last week. I hope they're trying to get him a look in coverage because he was decent there pre-injury.

denverYooper
11-21-2011, 11:35 AM

Not I. I think GB is built to be a better passing team in the cold than anyone who comes in there. Lambeau will be a big advantage once they adjust to the weather.

It's like driving in the snow. The first time, you're tentative and it takes you 20 minutes to make a 5 minute drive to grandpa's. After a couple of trips, though, you're doing donuts in the IGA parking lot and doing 60 up US41, passing the out-of-towners like they were standing still.

mraynrand
11-21-2011, 11:40 AM
The ket to the game is the trenches, mostly the Packer O-line. The real concern is that Newhouse routinely directs speed rushers back and behind Rodgers. If Fairley, Suh, and Williams push the center of the line back, the ability of Rodgers to escape/step up and throw is going to be severely limited.

mraynrand
11-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Listening to Packer fans and columnists, its like the last 20 years never happened.

Many of us have tried to put the whole F**** thing behind us.

gbgary
11-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Many of us have tried to put the whole F**** thing behind us.

:lol:

Packgator
11-21-2011, 12:03 PM

Since 2009 the Packers are 5-0 at home during December and January. Winning those games by an average
score of 33-12.

mmmdk
11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
There was a poll here on PR early in the season on when Packers would lose their first game; I voted Thanksgiving & I'll stick to it. The Bucs game yesterday should've been the first Packers loss this season but lady fortuna guided the Packers to a win. Then again it's all about winning the Super Bowl come february but it [normally] takes a complete football team to win the Lombardi Trophy...and Packers are presently not such a team.

denverYooper
11-21-2011, 12:11 PM
There was a poll here on PR early in the season on when Packers would lose their first game; I voted Thanksgiving & I'll stick to it. The Bucs game yesterday should've been the first Packers loss this season but lady fortuna guided the Packers to win. Then again it's all about winning the Super Bowl come february but it takes complete football teams to win the Lombardi Trophy...and Packers are presently not such a team.

Who has a "complete" team?

mraynrand
11-21-2011, 12:18 PM
There was a poll here on PR early in the season on when Packers would lose their first game; I voted Thanksgiving & I'll stick to it. The Bucs game yesterday should've been the first Packers loss this season but Stubby fortuna guided the Packers to a win. Then again it's all about winning the Super Bowl come february but it [normally] takes a complete football team to win the Lombardi Trophy...and Packers are presently not such a team.

The Packers may have been listless for times during the game, but they were never behind and only briefly in danger of letting it get away. They were clearly the better team, but let their guard down. I remember the '96 and '97 squads playing a few games like this. The '96 team even got it handed to them in Minnesota, when they were at full strength. This Thursday is probably their toughest challenge, simply due to the major intensity they will encounter. But here's an interesting point - there are a lot of guys on the Packers squad who really thrive on intensity and challenge. The Packers will be just as up for this game as the Lions, if not more.

mmmdk
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Firstly, let's have a consensus to defining 'complete' team. Secondly, I did put in a "normally" about a complete team...bla bla bla.

To the former I'd say when luck becomes too big a factor in how our defense defends then you're not a complete team; a team that's not just a bonafide offense. But things can change but I suspect a spanking by Detroits offense to the Packers D will hopefully get their sh!t together. I predict Lions 48 Packers 45 in OT on thursday.

gbgary
11-21-2011, 12:24 PM
The Bucs game yesterday should've been the first Packers loss this season...

totally disagree. may not have been their best game but they led the whole game. i wasn't biting my nails or worrying about it one bit.

mmmdk
11-21-2011, 12:25 PM
The Packers may have been listless for times during the game, but they were never behind and only briefly in danger of letting it get away. They were clearly the better team, but let their guard down. I remember the '96 and '97 squads playing a few games like this. The '96 team even got it handed to them in Minnesota, when they were at full strength. This Thursday is probably their toughest challenge, simply due to the major intensity they will encounter. But here's an interesting point - there are a lot of guys on the Packers squad who really thrive on intensity and challenge. The Packers will be just as up for this game as the Lions, if not more.

Spot on! But you know me; I want this team to win the SB in february 2012 ...BADLY! :lol:

mmmdk
11-21-2011, 12:28 PM
totally disagree. may not have been their best game but they led the whole game. i wasn't biting my nails or worrying about it one bit.

I agree somewhat; Packers are the better team but Bucs shot themselves in the foot enough times and got aided by Packers D enough to be bitter about losing the game.

Guiness
11-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Indi is completely rotten.

mmmdk
11-21-2011, 12:38 PM

Sneaky!

denverYooper
11-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Hey-yo!

denverYooper
11-21-2011, 12:59 PM
I agree somewhat; Packers are the better team but Bucs shot themselves in the foot enough times and got aided by Packers D enough to be bitter about losing the game.

The Bucs did shoot themselves in the foot, but I think it was because their plan was to be very aggressive in order to take out the Champs. Raheem Morris said as much. There were times where that approach cost them.

Freak Out
11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Screen pass against that rush.

CaliforniaCheez
11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
What a bunch of worry warts!!!

The Packers passing offense in a Dome is unstoppable except for Finley and James Jones drops.
Woodson and Tramon Williams are good for at least one INT.
We have Cobb as a return man
The Lions do not have much of a run game.
Stafford will screw up a couple of times.
The Lions D-line over pursues and looks for sacks. Running screens to Grant will be effective.
Grant should have a big day. The Lions are 28th in rushing defense.

Guiness
11-21-2011, 01:51 PM
My greatest concern is late hits by Fairley and Suh on Rodgers. The hit on Cutler that Fairley got fined for, or something like it.

pbmax
11-21-2011, 03:15 PM

I see you too, remember the Chiefs game. Lots of people banged up (incl. Chmura) but they could have pulled it out.

George Cumby
11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
What a bunch of worry warts!!!

The Packers passing offense in a Dome is unstoppable except for Finley and James Jones drops.
Woodson and Tramon Williams are good for at least one INT.
We have Cobb as a return man
The Lions do not have much of a run game.
Stafford will screw up a couple of times.
The Lions D-line over pursues and looks for sacks. Running screens to Grant will be effective.
Grant should have a big day. The Lions are 28th in rushing defense.

What are you, human Prozac?

All of a sudden I feel good about Thursday.

mraynrand
11-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I see you too, remember the Chiefs game. Lots of people banged up (incl. Chmura) but they could have pulled it out.

Didn't Doug Evans get ejected for touching a ref!?? GGGRrrrrrrrr! (Still angry)

Pugger
11-21-2011, 03:49 PM
My greatest concern is late hits by Fairley and Suh on Rodgers. The hit on Cutler that Fairley got fined for, or something like it.

Me too. I don't want those big oafs hitting our fabulous QB and I haven't been too pleased with our pass protection lately... :neutral:

Upnorth
11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
I was worried for about 2 minutes against TB. I am worried about Det Dline getting to ARod, but they seem to be much less fierce this year, and just cheaper. I maybe wrong, but their pass rush last year seemed better than this year.

Upnorth
11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Also I am worried that my wife will go into labour on wed or thurs. Either day and I might miss the game. However when I mentioned this to my wife she said we could watch it in the lounge if she is labouring! I think she is after something big for christmas!

MJZiggy
11-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Starks' presence may be missed most as an outlet receiver. He's been good lately catching and runnign when Rodgers checks down. Grant has caught the ball pretty well this year in his limited opportunities and maybe Saine gets some opportunities on 3rd down. That's where he seems to be at his best from what I've seen, read and heard about him..

Starks may play on Thursday. http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article_spofford/article-1/Starks-might-play-on-Thursday/d6ceffa5-1925-4d2a-8ef5-064c208e2c28

Joemailman
11-21-2011, 07:37 PM
I think Sitton is really hobbled. Sitton vs. Suh worries me a bit. Okay, more than a bit.

George Cumby
11-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Also I am worried that my wife will go into labour on wed or thurs. Either day and I might miss the game. However when I mentioned this to my wife she said we could watch it in the lounge if she is labouring! I think she is after something big for christmas!

Congrats!

MJZiggy
11-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Labor can take a while and it can get kinda boring. Maybe she wants to watch the game too.

pbmax
11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Well, if you can time it, Tuesday night or Wednesday would be great because your wife will be sleeping while resting and recuperating the next two days. You can earn some Dad points watching over the tot while keeping 1 eye on the TV (pro tip: when watching infant with one eye, always use the bassinet or car seat). Do not sit in recliner with infant in the crook of your arm as they tend to become airborne if you pop out of the chair with too much enthusiasm.

If the child stirs, the nursery will be available "so Mom can get some rest". You will see 75% of the plays. I once watched a Sunday night game that way. Best part? You will be so tired you won't remember that you missed anything (in the game).

mission
11-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Well, if you can time it, Tuesday night or Wednesday would be great because your wife will be sleeping while resting and recuperating the next two days. You can earn some Dad points watching over the tot while keeping 1 eye on the TV (pro tip: when watching infant with one eye, always use the bassinet or car seat). Do not sit in recliner with infant in the crook of your arm as they tend to become airborne if you pop out of the chair with too much enthusiasm.

If the child stirs, the nursery will be available "so Mom can get some rest". You will see 75% of the plays. I once watched a Sunday night game that way. Best part? You will be so tired you won't remember that you missed anything (in the game).

Good stuff! :lol:

Upnorth
11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
My oldest almost went airborne to 4 & 26. She was about 2 wks old and in an infant Favre jersey my wife bought for me. That was when I knew my wife loved me inspite of my addiction.

mmmdk
11-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Really great stuff yet how will upnorth do the Champ belt move, while holding their golden nugget, when Packers score and score and score....? Lastly, remember upnorth, you're holding a baby and not a football!

Congrats & may Packers win on thanksgiving!

:pack:

Fritz
11-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Hold babies and footballs snugly.

But don't scream and shout at the television; it's scary for babies - and grown ups, too.

I see the Packers losing. Too much intensity, too much pass rush, too much Pettigrew/Scheffler, plus megatron. Packers get taken out.

I'm not going to freak out. I'm not going to freak out. I'm not going to freak out...

denverYooper
11-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Hold babies and footballs snugly.

But don't scream and shout at the television; it's scary for babies - and grown ups, too.

I see the Packers losing. Too much intensity, too much pass rush, too much Pettigrew/Scheffler, plus megatron. Packers get taken out.

I'm not going to freak out. I'm not going to freak out. I'm not going to freak out...

Yeah, the Packers just can't handle intense games.

IMO, the Loins pass rush is not that much better than Minny's and arguably worse than Denver's. The problem I have with the matchup is that inside pressure has been an issue as of late and that's where the real strength of the kitties line lies. I expect that will get better toward the end of the season but I sure hope that this is the week they get it sorted out.

I also think Finley busts out and drops a buck-fifty this week.

mraynrand
11-22-2011, 02:59 PM

I think (hope) you are right - but doesn't this belong in the Randall Cobb thread?

Little Whiskey
11-22-2011, 03:00 PM
in an infant Favre jersey my wife bought for me. That was when I knew my wife loved me inspite of my addiction.

are you a midget?

Little Whiskey
11-22-2011, 03:02 PM

I hope so, my ffl team can use some help!

mraynrand
11-22-2011, 03:02 PM
too much Pettigrew/Scheffler

A little Peprah-spray is not enough to handle Detroit's tight ends. But Packer-Bucs, Packers-Chargers shows that they may not be able to cover TEs even if they try.

Upnorth
11-22-2011, 03:24 PM
are you a midget?

LOL!!! No 6' even, it was for my daughter who was a few weeks old, but it was considered my christmas gift from my wife, and it is one of the best gifts I have ever received.

Bretsky
11-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Not happy with this thread for stealing some of my gamethread content ! :) I've privately been calling for this to be our first loss for the past six weeks.
Expect an Iron Clad Whammy guaranteed victory for the Lions !

smuggler
11-23-2011, 05:21 AM
You guys are such loveable dorks.

yooperfan
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM

And pets....... my dog can never figure out why I'm all of a sudden yelling(either is joy or pain) and all he's doing is laying in his kennel.

smuggler
11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Nor will he ever understand. Poor pisser.

MJZiggy
11-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Dammit, I meant to pick up drugs for the dog. We should have had this conversation yesterday.

CaliforniaCheez
11-24-2011, 10:18 AM
NFL network says Starks will play.

CaliforniaCheez
11-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I hope a lot of you doubters that posted in this thread will get on board with the Packers now.

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 04:02 PM
So my assistants have told a bunch of clients about the labour and I have gotten 15 to 20 good luck texts. When I tell them about the delay every guy has said its gonna be a girl LOL!

denverYooper
11-24-2011, 05:49 PM
This Dolphins team is feisty.

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Dammit, I meant to pick up drugs for the dog. We should have had this conversation yesterday.

I quit trying to get animals stoned in highschool. What the hell does your family do on thanksgiving?