PDA

View Full Version : OMGosh...How Distracting!

GrnBay007
11-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Can there BE any Packer fans out there that haven't arranged or re-arranged their Thanksgiving festivities according to the Packer/Lions game?

I remember several years back when the family was getting together at my sister's for the Thanksgiving meal and the Packers were playing. She's not a football fan and made it known the TV would not be on during the meal. I bribed her and for that ended up doing ALL the dishes by hand while the rest of the family played cards after the meal/game. Well worth it! :)

sheepshead
11-23-2011, 06:14 AM
and Christmas I'm sure.

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanksgiving up here was over a month ago and the pack had the prime time slot ( I think) so I saw the whole game with minimal interuptions.
This thursday I have know idea as to whether I see it or not. My wife is showing signs of true labour so today might be the dya, more to follow. Just incase GO PACK GO.

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanksgiving up here was over a month ago and the pack had the prime time slot ( I think) so I saw the whole game with minimal interuptions.
This thursday I have know idea as to whether I see it or not. My wife is showing signs of true labour so today might be the dya, more to follow. Just incase GO PACK GO.

Joemailman
11-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Always spend Thanksgiving with my youngest sister's family. She was debating whether to spend Thanksgiving at home so she can watch the game while the turkey was in the oven, or spend Thanksgiving in the house on the lake north of Eagle River (the preference) where they don't have a television. The solution is to go up north and bring our Mom along to watch after the 2 youngest kids while the turkey is cooking while we and their oldest child head to a bar to watch the game. Don't worry. Mom is okay with it!! Thanks Mom!

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Every Thanksgiving my wife is up by 6am and - between cooking and dishes - spends the entire day in the kitchen. Every year I ask/plead with her to simplify and make it easy (turkey breast in the crock pot instead of the whole turkey in the oven, less sides, etc.) and every year it seems she is in the kitchen longer. This year I was determined not to let it happen again and talked her in to going out for Thanksgiving dinner...with dire consequences.

We decided to let my son and daughter-in-law pick where and when because they have the 1 year old and her parents were coming along. Unfortunately, the Packer game was not considered when reservations were made and the dinner is scheduled at 2pm with a good hour drive to get to the place.

Next year my wife is back in the kitchen.

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Every Thanksgiving my wife is up by 6am and - between cooking and dishes - spends the entire day in the kitchen. Every year I ask/plead with her to simplify and make it easy (turkey breast in the crock pot instead of the whole turkey in the oven, less sides, etc.) and every year it seems she is in the kitchen longer. This year I was determined not to let it happen again and talked her in to going out for Thanksgiving dinner...with dire consequences.

We decided to let my son and daughter-in-law pick where and when because they have the 1 year old and her parents were coming along. Unfortunately, the Packer game was not considered when reservations were made and the dinner is scheduled at 2pm with a good hour drive to get to the place.

Safe travels! do you have satellite radio? If not I am sorry.

pbmax
11-23-2011, 08:18 AM

You still have today to switch cell phone plans to Sprint and get game broadcasts. Good luck.

Scott Campbell
11-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Unfortunately, the Packer game was not considered when reservations were made and the dinner is scheduled at 2pm with a good hour drive to get to the place.

Sounds like a recipe for a fake sore throat and a TV dinner.

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Safe travels! do you have satellite radio? If not I am sorry.

No, I have satellite radio but its a freebie for a year with the car I purchased last May and it doesn't include the football games. But I will have my phone for game updates so I will survive...but barely. :-)

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 08:57 AM
You still have today to switch cell phone plans to Sprint and get game broadcasts. Good luck.

Except for the year left on my contract hanging around my neck, I would.

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Sounds like a recipe for a fake sore throat and a TV dinner.

I used that last year at Christmas to get out of going to some lame-ass movie the family went to. Don't think it will fly again. :-)

Cheesehead Craig
11-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Here I thought 007 was posting topless pics

Brando19
11-23-2011, 08:59 AM
We have Thanksgiving dinner at my in laws at 12 ET...which is 30 minutes before gametime. They do NOT have cable because they live in the boonies. We have a second dinner with my family at 6 pm. I'm gonna do something I've never done before. I'm going to tape the game and watch it at 8 pm. I'm not going to check any updates on my phone, the internet, or sportscenter. I hope I can do it.

Joemailman
11-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Now that would be a cause for Thanksgiving!

gbgary
11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
We have Thanksgiving dinner at my in laws at 12 ET...which is 30 minutes before gametime. They do NOT have cable because they live in the boonies. We have a second dinner with my family at 6 pm. I'm gonna do something I've never done before. I'm going to tape the game and watch it at 8 pm. I'm not going to check any updates on my phone, the internet, or sportscenter. I hope I can do it.

it won't work. you'll find out somehow by accident.

Brando19
11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
it won't work. you'll find out somehow by accident.

Honestly, I think you're right. I'll probably hear it on the radio or one of my family members will let it slip when I get to their house. But I'm going to do everything I can to make it happen.

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 09:26 AM

Good Luck with that. I couldn't do it.

My phone is set to beep at the start of the game, at each quarter change, with each score and at the end of the game.

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Looks like I will be in the hospital holding a little one. We are leaving soon. Wish my wife luck, keep us in your prayers!

yooperfan
11-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I'm not going to check any updates on my phone, the internet, or sportscenter. I hope I can do it.

The only way that would work for me is if the turkey knocked me out and didn't wake up 'til 8.
Are you laying odds you can do it?

Joemailman
11-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Looks like I will be in the hospital holding a little one. We are leaving soon. Wish my wife luck, keep us in your prayers!

Congratulations and best wishes! Are you naming him/her Aaron or Erin?

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Congrats on the soon to be new addition. Good luck! And get a Packer jersey on that new baby ASAP so he/she starts learning early about the greatest team in all of pro sports!

gbgary
11-23-2011, 09:58 AM

fantastic news!! good luck to everyone!

Patler
11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
I rarely watch any Packer game in real time. Most often I listen to the radio off and on as I (we) go about whatever is on the agenda for the day. I record the games, and then watch after my wife goes to bed. Peaceful and dispassionate.

Since three of my sons will all be home for Thanksgiving, I might actually watch this one in real time, because I suspect they will want to.

Harlan Huckleby
11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
congrats upnord, All the best to you, your wife, and little Harlan.

Pugger
11-23-2011, 10:30 AM
No, I have satellite radio but its a freebie for a year with the car I purchased last May and it doesn't include the football games. But I will have my phone for game updates so I will survive...but barely. :-)

Are you certain? We have Sirius/XM free for a year with our car and you can get the games. You might have to go to their website to find out which channels will have our game.

Pugger
11-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Congratulations!! :glug:

mraynrand
11-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I bribed her and for that ended up doing ALL the dishes by hand while the rest of the family played cards after the meal/game. Well worth it! :)

You got played. PWNED! as the kids say.

yooperfan
11-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Congrats all around UpNorth!!!!!

mraynrand
11-23-2011, 10:51 AM

I love the priorities of Packerrats members. Upnorth probably told us before he called her parents. Best Wishes!

MadScientist
11-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Just remember, if you are holding the little one when the Packers score, don't spike the baby in celebration.

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Are you certain? We have Sirius/XM free for a year with our car and you can get the games. You might have to go to their website to find out which channels will have our game.

Hmmmm....I will have to check into that. I was told that I only had basic service and that the NFL games weren't included but I never checked...I just took the salespersons's word. Maybe I misunderstood.

denverYooper
11-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Congratulations! You know, "Go Pack Go" can be made into a nice nursery rhyme.

Brando19
11-23-2011, 11:30 AM
The only way that would work for me is if the turkey knocked me out and didn't wake up 'til 8.
Are you laying odds you can do it?

lol...I haven't thought about it. It's going to suck, but I look forward to Packers games so much...I want to thoroughly enjoy it with some Thanksgiving leftovers.

Brando19
11-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Good Luck with that. I couldn't do it.

My phone is set to beep at the start of the game, at each quarter change, with each score and at the end of the game.

Wow...I want that app. What kind of phone do you have?

denverYooper
11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
My mother-in-law promised me a seat at the end of the table, where I'll be able to see around the corner to watch the game.

Guiness
11-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Thoughts and prayers, my friend. And a bit of jealousy :tup:

Guiness
11-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Mixing my schedule around a bit myself - even though it's not Thanksgiving.

I'm supposed to be picking up a new car. Seller is busy in the morning, left a message to come pick it up at 1. Calling him back and telling him it has to be tonight or Friday!

Bossman641
11-23-2011, 11:49 AM
This is when it pays to have family in Wisconsin who understand priorities, ha. I was specifically instructed by my aunt and uncle in Madison to make sure to get to their house before the game starts so that we can all watch it together.

yooperfan
11-23-2011, 11:54 AM

I use ScoreMobile on my Android phone.

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Having lunch, cointract every 5 min 1min duration. No waterbroke yet.
Goodluck with car guiness, rand you were right you all found out first

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 12:48 PM

iPhone. App is Sportacular.

MadtownPacker
11-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Having lunch, cointract every 5 min 1min duration. No waterbroke yet.
Goodluck with car guiness, rand you were right you all found out first
Off to a great start!! Baby will be born, you get moved to post pardum room with tv, all is good!

Congrats man!

Brando19
11-23-2011, 01:59 PM
iPhone. App is Sportacular.

Ohhh...I don't have an Iphone anymore...AT&T service sucks here so i have a Samsung Mesmerize. Thanks, though.

Brando19
11-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I use ScoreMobile on my Android phone.

I have Scoremobile...I don't know how to get it to beep when a team scores, though. Man it's gonna be hard not to peek at my phone tomorrow to check the score!

yooperfan
11-23-2011, 02:16 PM
I have Scoremobile...I don't know how to get it to beep when a team scores, though. Man it's gonna be hard not to peek at my phone tomorrow to check the score!

Ok. Menu - more - settings - Team Subcriptions - add team - NFl - Green Bay - menu pops up that you can choose alerts.

If you choose - every scoring play- your phone may be buzzing for 3 hours straight.

George Cumby
11-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Since this is your fourth, dare I say it, you could name him/her "Brett"......

Best wishes for a safe delivery!

Spaulding
11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Ok. Menu - more - settings - Team Subcriptions - add team - NFl - Green Bay - menu pops up that you can choose alerts.

If you choose - every scoring play- your phone may be buzzing for 3 hours straight.

Another option on Android phones is SportsTap which is awesome. Alerts for favorite teams and pretty customizable.

HowardRoark
11-23-2011, 02:29 PM
I use ScoreMobile......

That was my first vehicle....oh, sorry, wrong thread.

Brando19
11-23-2011, 03:42 PM

Holy crap...that was easy. You should work for Scoremobile. That was step by step if I've ever seen it. Thanks alot, yooperfan. I appreciate it.

AtlPackFan
11-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Since this is your fourth, dare I say it, you could name him/her "Brett"......

Best wishes for a safe delivery!

I would rather name my kid Beelzebub...but that is just me. ;-)

mraynrand
11-23-2011, 04:32 PM
That was my first vehicle....oh, sorry, wrong thread.

ScoreMobile!

http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/custom-van-interior.jpg

yooperfan
11-23-2011, 04:32 PM
:)

vince
11-23-2011, 04:33 PM
That IS distracting! Hope all goes well!

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Still at 5ish min between contraction. Hope it progress soon. Wife is considering Aaron as name for boy.

GrnBay007
11-23-2011, 05:04 PM

DANG, and here we are worried how a meal will distract from the game!!! What a wonderful day for you and your family!

Good Luck and Congrats!!! :)

MJZiggy
11-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Still at 5ish min between contraction. Hope it progress soon. Wife is considering Aaron as name for boy.

Go Mrs. Upnorth GO!!

Not QUITE the same, but still a nice ring... Congrats and safe delivery!!

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 08:22 PM
And still now more progression. Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh. Shouldn't the fourth be clock work. I feel so sorry for my wife. She has been 25 % effaced for at least 7 hours now. More to follow.

George Cumby
11-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Lil' Fella'/Gal just doesn't want to come out, eh?

Nice play-by-play, by the way.

Upnorth
11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Lil' Fella'/Gal just doesn't want to come out, eh?

Nice play-by-play, by the way.

The commentary gives me a chance to vent when I take a break. I try to support my wife as much as possible, but when I go to eat or coffee this is an outlet for pressure. The new finley etal thread is awesome thanks for the laughs all!

Guiness
11-23-2011, 10:57 PM
The commentary gives me a chance to vent when I take a break. I try to support my wife as much as possible, but when I go to eat or coffee this is an outlet for pressure. The new finley etal thread is awesome thanks for the laughs all!

Taking a break? She doesn't get any breaks!

You haven't been back by for a bit, I assume we'll be getting the boy/girl announcement soon?

MadtownPacker
11-23-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm gonna say it's a boy!

50% odds are about as good as it's gonna get to be right about something on here.

MadScientist
11-24-2011, 12:01 AM

Now that would be a cause for Thanksgiving!

Yes, but not distracting enough to beat the Packers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUMjS01vlvE
the relevant section is 4:30 - 4:56, audio is NSFW, but some bits have been censored to keep it out of the GC.

Bretsky
11-24-2011, 12:40 AM

Good Luck dude; that is awesome !!!!!

Scott Campbell
11-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Good luck with your blessed event. But she better pop that thing out before kickoff.

KalamazooPackerFan
11-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Name the child Aaron! Best wishes and congratulations!

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Sending upnorth and family good thoughts from Denmark.

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 08:51 AM
So she started labour at 3 am and progressed till about 3 am today. Then pretty much stopped! Now contractions are about every 15 minutes, talk about frustratingn but they say baby is fine. On the bright side my wife had a great sleep, however no announcement. We are thinking about Aaron, but want to know what it means (to normal people not packer fans).
Sorry for no news.
Our girls were 10 and 11 days overdue, our boy was born on his due date, and yesterday was due date so I was convinced it was a boy.
Anyway, more to follow.

KalamazooPackerFan
11-24-2011, 09:03 AM
So she started labour at 3 am and progressed till about 3 am today. Then pretty much stopped! Now contractions are about every 15 minutes, talk about frustratingn but they say baby is fine. On the bright side my wife had a great sleep, however no announcement. We are thinking about Aaron, but want to know what it means (to normal people not packer fans).
Sorry for no news.
Our girls were 10 and 11 days overdue, our boy was born on his due date, and yesterday was due date so I was convinced it was a boy.
Anyway, more to follow.

Aaron \a(a)-ron\ as a boy's name is pronounced AIR-an, AHR-an. It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Aaron is "mountain of strength". From Thinkbabynames.com. Other sites say the name means "exalted" or "strong".

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Thanks kalamzoo! That meaning is awesome! It should help the discussion.

Anyway enough about me,

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, god bless and GO PACK GO

MadtownPacker
11-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Got a cool meaning.

"meaning of Aaron is "mountain (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/mountain) of strength (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/strength)". From the Hebrew (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/hebrew) "har-on", or possibly of Egyptian (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/egyptian) origin. Biblical (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/biblical): Moses' brother (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/brother) Aaron was the first high (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/high) priest (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/priest) of Israel (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/israel).

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Aaron

You got a tv in the room man?

mraynrand
11-24-2011, 09:31 AM
... (to normal people not packer fans)...

UPN has been on a roll :lol:

MJZiggy
11-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Sorry for no news.
Anyway, more to follow.

Maybe s/he decided to wait until after the game. I bet if Mom gets excited watching it, things might start to move again. I work with a man named Aaron. Seems perfectly well adjusted.

BZnDallas
11-24-2011, 10:16 AM
CONGRATS from Texas UPNORTH!! Aaron is the perfect name!! it might be the naming of your child that gets the GB Packers over the hump today to improve to 11-0!! sending all positive vibes Up North!!

Brando19
11-24-2011, 10:33 PM
I did it! I had two dinners today and the game started at 12:30 pm here...I taped it, I didn't check my phone, and I told everyone I didn't want to know the score. At 9:30 pm...I got home and watched the game as if it were live. IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!

yooperfan
11-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I did it! I had two dinners today and the game started at 12:30 pm here...I taped it, I didn't check my phone, and I told everyone I didn't want to know the score. At 9:30 pm...I got home and watched the game as if it were live. IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!

Ha... Sounds like you had a good day. I would never be able to not check.

Brando19
11-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Ha... Sounds like you had a good day. I would never be able to not check.

LOL....i doubt I'll ever be able to do it again, but it was nice watching the game.