PDA

View Full Version : Other games week 12 (including Thanksgiving)

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Hate those C-Boys 'Star' jerseys. Go Flippers!

channtheman
11-24-2011, 03:48 PM
2 INT's for Romo already. No "elite" QB can seem to keep it that way... except Rodgers!

Guiness
11-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Bush looking not bad as a feature back here.

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 04:52 PM
DeMarco Murray is the real deal!

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Euro halftime show in the nutty lone star state. :lol:

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Bush looking good. I hope dallas. Wins the east, we would destroy them and that would be great. Miami is playing like a great 3 win team trying to prove they are better.

denverYooper
11-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Definitely hoping the Ravens put one on the Niners tonight.

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Definitely hoping the Ravens put one on the Niners tonight.

Ditto

denverYooper
11-24-2011, 05:52 PM
This 2nd game is fairly entertaining. It's keeping me from passing out cold on this couch right now.

Guiness
11-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Bush with another nice run. Impressed with him tonight, has he been playing like this all year?

denverYooper
11-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Bush with another nice run. Impressed with him tonight, has he been playing like this all year?

I think he's had a good few weeks lately.

denverYooper
11-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Getting closer to a playoff spot for the Packers!

denverYooper
11-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Might have spoken too soon.

Guiness
11-24-2011, 06:21 PM

We definitely control our own destiny!

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 06:32 PM
We definitely control our own destiny!

Well done my friend, well done. Hope baltimore destroys sf tonight!

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 06:33 PM
On another note; Seahawks signed OL Allen Barbre, formerly of the Dolphins & Packers.

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 06:35 PM
On another note; Seahawks signed OL Allen Barbre, formerly of the Dolphins & Packers.

I did not know seattle's oline was that bad.

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Quick three and out for niners is good. Great punt makes long field for ravens. Rice is running a bit on niners good to see.

CaliforniaCheez
11-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Go Ravens!!

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 08:33 PM
When on the 6 inch line why give up three before you start? Also why run right on niners?

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Bad timeout.

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 08:43 PM
How do youhave 12 men after a timeout? Good pick!

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Td nice, let's go ravens (tonight only)

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 09:36 PM
I think we will beat the niners, biggest problem will be ginn.

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Td nice, let's go ravens (tonight only)

Hear, hear!

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Ravens kick FG, now up 16-6 with 3:05 mins to go.

channtheman
11-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I haven't watched the 49er's much this year but they don't look dangerous to me at all. Remind me of the Falcons last year. Game managing QB that leads the team to wins because of a good defense and a running game. Not afraid of them at all.

And game over.

mraynrand
11-24-2011, 11:18 PM
I was pretty surprised that the Niners didn't seem to have many plays available to slow down a pass rush. Not a lot of screens, check-downs, quick tosses, draws, etc.

Harlan Huckleby
11-25-2011, 08:16 AM
who won the game, dick heads?

guess I'll have to go to espn.com. packerrats lets me down again

Harlan Huckleby
11-25-2011, 08:23 AM
OMG. San Fran has 2 losses. This season has gotten too easy for pack. We need some adversity.

MJZiggy
11-25-2011, 08:45 AM

Sorry, I was too busy lusting after JOHN Harbaugh to remember to post it. Besides, first row had the whole post game thing. NFLN was giving out pies. (that they had manhandled through the whole game). Terrell Suggs got the pie and then they brought out fresh ones for Harbaugh and his daughter.

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Ravens kick FG, now up 16-6 with 3:05 mins to go.

not too quick on the uptake last night, eh? Probably too much tryptophan.

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 11:21 AM
not too quick on the uptake last night, eh? Probably too much tryptophan.

Blue dog thought it could've been a new Heidi Bowl. :lol:

smuggler
11-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Blue Dog is the best dog.

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 11:45 AM
Blue Dog is the best dog.

Did Heidi have a dog? If so, I bet it was a blue dog. :smk:

mmmdk
11-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Raiders beat Bears :taunt:

sheepshead
11-27-2011, 06:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avRHH9uAL4Q

channtheman
11-27-2011, 06:54 PM
TEBOW!

Brandon494
11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
DEFENSE!

pbmax
11-27-2011, 07:23 PM
All he does is win :lol:

That team is going to have a devil of a time making a decision for next season. They have to commit to that offense if they are keeping Tebow to start, if not, they need to see Quinn or draft one of the non-Luck QBs in the first two rounds of the next draft.

I still have a hard time believing that coaches and Elway, who did not draft him, will do a complete U-turn for their offense, but Fox might be the one guy who would give it a shot. If it was Shanahan, Gruden, Holmgren, Saunders, et al, they would be too married to their offense to accept it.

Cheesehead Craig
11-27-2011, 10:28 PM
All he does is win :lol:

And that's all that matters in the NFL.

Guiness
11-27-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm with you pb - what do they do???? I can't see them being terribly happy with anything...except the wins.

Here's an interesting item: in games Tebow started, the defense has held the other team to less than 20 points 4 out of 5 times. In games Orton started, they allowed more than 20 points 4 of 5 times!!!!
There's a weak argument that Tebow keeps the opposing O off the field, but I tend to think it was just shitty damn luck on Orton's part.

Joemailman
11-27-2011, 11:03 PM
I'm with you pb - what do they do???? I can't see them being terribly happy with anything...except the wins.

Here's an interesting item: in games Tebow started, the defense has held the other team to less than 20 points 4 out of 5 times. In games Orton started, they allowed more than 20 points 4 of 5 times!!!!
There's a weak argument that Tebow keeps the opposing O off the field, but I tend to think it was just shitty damn luck on Orton's part.

Both Dumervil and Champ Bailey missed some games in the first month of the season. That had a lot to do with the poor defensive play when Orton was in there.

channtheman
11-27-2011, 11:05 PM
When Tebow does put the ball on the money, his receivers drop it half the time. I didn't watch the Broncos much when Orton played, but it appears that the receivers are so bad that a passing QB would suffer more than a running QB like Tebow.

channtheman
11-27-2011, 11:06 PM

There's also the Brett Favre argument of "He wills his team to victory and his team plays harder for him." "He makes the team around him better (except for his receivers who drop way too many passes)." :lol:

Guiness
11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Anyone see some of the Bill/Jets game?

Fitzpatrick is NOT looking like an NFL QB, big time contract not-withstanding. He blew it again and again, throwing behind or missing receivers altogether.

HarveyWallbangers
11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
One thing he doesn't do is turn the ball over. I'm not sure how many picks and fumbles Orton had, but teams have to drive the length of the field to score on Denver's defense now. Maybe Denver's defense is solid when other teams don't get a lot of short fields to work with.

Joemailman
11-27-2011, 11:16 PM
One thing he doesn't do is turn the ball over. I'm not sure how many picks and fumbles Orton had, but teams have to drive the length of the field to score on Denver's defense now. Maybe Denver's defense is solid when other teams don't get a lot of short fields to work with.

That's a fair point. Orton had 7 INT's in his 5 starts, versus 1 INT for Tebow in his 1st 5 starts. Still, I think the Denver defense is better now than it was early because of their injury situation early.

smuggler
11-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Orton made some mistakes, but part of his turnover issue was a stale and predictable offense. With Tebow, the coordinator was forced to change things up, which decrease turnovers in the short term until your scheme gets figured out. But, honestly, the offensive coordinator is bad whether they're running a pro style offense or a wishbone/option system. And the lack of production at QB is going to catch up with the Broncos sooner rather than later.

pbmax
11-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Just by throwing less (and not fumbling more) the Broncos reduce the chances for a turnover overall assuming Tebow can at least maintain Orton's rate of INT. If he improves on it, then its even better for field position. The offense also plays into Fox's plan of relying on the running game, which is presumbaly how he wanted to gear the team this year.

Tebow seems far more comfortable dropping deep and launching longer throws, so the offense isn't exactly the same as Orton either. The real test will come next year, if they are still running it. But if you get a lead, they aren't scoring at a high rate. It remains to be seen if field position alone can fuel a comeback of more than one score.

pbmax
11-28-2011, 07:01 AM
The Chiefs defense was tremendous. But by the time Palko and Haley had figured out how to beat the Steelers defense, the Steelers had another trick up their sleeve and bailed out of a blitz look causing Palko to throw into what looked like quadruple coverage to Bowe.

hoosier
11-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Anyone see some of the Bill/Jets game?

Fitzpatrick is NOT looking like an NFL QB, big time contract not-withstanding. He blew it again and again, throwing behind or missing receivers altogether.

Maybe, but he also had some major help from his receivers. Stevie Johnson was wide open over the middle, nobody within 20 yards of him, and had a sure TD go right through his hands.

hoosier
11-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Speaking of Dwayne Bowe, anyone wishing TT had picked him instead of Harrell...and thus not picked Nelson or Jones or both? Not exactly the kind of effort at the end of last night's game that makes you think you'd like him in your foxhole.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82489e5d/Steelers-defense-INT

Cheesehead Craig
11-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Turnovers are the big key in the revamped Denver offense.

Pre-Tebow they had 12 turnovers in 5 games.

Tebow they have had 5 turnovers in 6 games.

The defense forced 7 turnovers in 5 games pre-Tebow, during the Tebow era they have forced 6 in 6 games.

Like PB said, they have reduced their risk by throwing less and that has made a world of difference.

The Denver defense has gotten much better in points allowed as well. They avg giving up 26.6 in the first 5 games vs 17.6 in the last 6 (defensive TDs removed from the stats). Although it is amazing how much better the defense looks when the offense doesn't turn the ball over nearly as often.

mraynrand
11-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Speaking of Dwayne Bowe, anyone wishing TT had picked him instead of Harrell...and thus not picked Nelson or Jones or both? Not exactly the kind of effort at the end of last night's game that makes you think you'd like him in your foxhole.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82489e5d/Steelers-defense-INT

looked like a miscommunication. Bowe made some sort of hand signal Palko didn't see and Bowe didn't expected the ball where it was at all. I don't think he was at all prepared to make a play on the ball where it was. But he did pull up, so it's possible that he's just a cringing pussy.

pbmax
11-28-2011, 10:36 AM
looked like a miscommunication. Bowe made some sort of hand signal Palko didn't see and Bowe didn't expected the ball where it was at all. I don't think he was at all prepared to make a play on the ball where it was. But he did pull up, so it's possible that he's just a cringing pussy.

Peter King thought that hand up gesture was the universal gesture for going deep and then Bowe broke off his own audibled route. I am not so sure there is such a thing from a WR.

Usually its "I'm open you blind, overpaid idiot!"

Little Whiskey
11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Speaking of Dwayne Bowe, anyone wishing TT had picked him instead of Harrell...and thus not picked Nelson or Jones or both? Not

I don't think that TT would nessesarily have passed on Jones and/or Nelson with Bowe on the team instead of Harrell. He's picked the guys he has wanted regardless of who is on the depth chart at the time.

denverYooper
11-28-2011, 12:23 PM
That's a fair point. Orton had 7 INT's in his 5 starts, versus 1 INT for Tebow in his 1st 5 starts. Still, I think the Denver defense is better now than it was early because of their injury situation early.

Champ Bailey said as much on his weekly radio spot here.

denverYooper
11-28-2011, 12:25 PM

Champ Bailey said as much on his weekly radio spot here.

hoosier
11-28-2011, 01:06 PM

I don't know....he ran a post and the video shows him looking back for the first time about 25 yards downfield, just about the time Palko throws the ball. If he wasn't expecting the ball then then when? Bowe elevates for the ball and his arms start to go up but then suddenly go back down to his sides just about the time when the deep safety is converging on him. If we had a different camera angle I bet you we could find a lip reader who could see him saying "We're 4-6 with a backup QB with a penchant for turnovers? Ah, f*** it."

hoosier
11-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Can't remember the last time I saw an Other Games thread with no mention of a Vikings loss. Wow, have the miseries of our second most hated rival ceased to give us joy? For what it is worth, Percy Harvin had a 104 yard KO return...and didn't get a TD! Those Vikings, they almost score better than anyone.

mraynrand
11-28-2011, 01:14 PM
The Broncos' losses - Packers and Lions aside - were all very close games. It's the Turnovers, the defense, and the ability of the offense to run the ball. McGahee is running well - he's running great between the tackles, slicing through small gaps. Tebow's running and few passes provide just enough of a counterbalance, to throw teams off.

But the turnover differential is just huge. Watching other teams - like the Bears this weekend - you realize what an enormous advantage it is to have a QB who knows when to bail out of a bad play and not throw the risky pass, even if that QB isn't generating a lot of offense. TOs are just that devastating.

mraynrand
11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't know....he ran a post and the video shows him looking back for the first time about 25 yards downfield, just about the time Palko throws the ball. If he wasn't expecting the ball then then when? Bowe elevates for the ball and his arms start to go up but then suddenly go back down to his sides just about the time when the deep safety is converging on him. If we had a different camera angle I bet you we could find a lip reader who could see him saying "We're 4-6 with a backup QB with a penchant for turnovers? Ah, f*** it."

See PBmax's post. That was just a weird play all around. You could easily be right. I have to admit that when Bowe put up his hand, I was reminded of Andre Rison and some of his 'creative' route running that drove Favre and Holmgren nuts.

mraynrand
11-28-2011, 01:30 PM
BTW, in the Denver game, Tony Moll was playing RG for San Diego. On one play Von Miller blew him up, decleated him and drove him back into Rivers for the sack. Poor guy looked completely overmatched!

Fritz
11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
San Diego is toast, as is Norv Turner.

Freak Out
11-28-2011, 03:30 PM
So Houston is down to its 3rd QB?

Joemailman
11-28-2011, 07:43 PM
So Houston is down to its 3rd QB?

T.J. Yates is now their starter, backed up by Kelly Clemens. Prior to looking it up, I had never heard of T.J. Yates.

channtheman
11-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Gruden is officially annoying the shit out of me already, and I only have the game on in the background.

pbmax
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
T.J. Yates is now their starter, backed up by Kelly Clemens. Prior to looking it up, I had never heard of T.J. Yates.

I thought it was pronounced 'Yates" but spelled Yeats?

pbmax
11-28-2011, 09:14 PM
BTW, if the Texans sign Jake Delhomme, who they supposedly worked out, its a sign they are not only giving up on the playoffs, but hoping to get into Suck for Luck.

channtheman
11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
I am somewhat surprised that Favre isn't being mentioned. I always thought he would be the Testaverde type who would come out of retirement late in the season if the right situation presented itself. Perhaps the teams needing QB's just don't want him, though.

Joemailman
11-28-2011, 10:14 PM
I am somewhat surprised that Favre isn't being mentioned. I always thought he would be the Testaverde type who would come out of retirement late in the season if the right situation presented itself. Perhaps the teams needing QB's just don't want him, though.

Or maybe he just knows he's done. He got the hell beat out of him last year, both body and reputation.

channtheman
11-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Or maybe he just knows he's done. He got the hell beat out of him last year, both body and reputation.

I would think his body must be aching, because I don't think Favre is one to care what people think of him.

Joemailman
11-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Weird situation with Houston. They're the #1 seed in the AFC, and have absolutely nothing at QB.

mraynrand
11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Weird situation with Houston. They're the #1 seed in the AFC, and have absolutely nothing at QB.

The 1986 and 1988 Bears feel your pain

Joemailman
11-28-2011, 10:30 PM
BTW, if the Texans sign Jake Delhomme, who they supposedly worked out, its a sign they are not only giving up on the playoffs, but hoping to get into Suck for Luck.

It will be either Delhomme or Jeff Garcia. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Texans-to-decide-between-Garcia-Delhomme.html

pbmax
11-28-2011, 10:31 PM

The Browns did that one year. Spent all year rotating QBs, first Kosar, then Mike Pagel then they unburied Don Strock's corpse. Pagel returned, got hurt again, Strock one more time then Kosar came back. Just looked it up, it was 1988 and I forgot Gary Danielson also played.

Lost first round of playoffs to the Houston Oilers.

Joemailman
11-28-2011, 10:36 PM
The 1986 and 1988 Bears feel your pain

God I loved it when the 49ers beat the Bears in the NFC Title Game in 1988. Was still living in the Chicago area at the time, and all week long had to listen about how the Bears would win because of "Bear weather".

mraynrand
11-28-2011, 10:46 PM
God I loved it when the 49ers beat the Bears in the NFC Title Game in 1988. Was still living in the Chicago area at the time, and all week long had to listen about how the Bears would win because of "Bear weather".

I was there too. That was pretty sweet. But nothing compared to the sweep the following year, including the instant replay game. Did I rub it in to all my co-workers? Yes I did!

mmmdk
11-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Saints simply CRUSHED the G-Men on MNF; Packers need to KO Giants on sunday to keep the momentum going for the likely clash between Packers - Saints in january.

Pugger
11-29-2011, 08:37 AM
It was rather surprising how bad the Gmen looked last night. Unless NY plays much better at home we should be victorious unless we really screw it up.

channtheman
11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
NY lost to the Eagles at home a couple of weeks ago. We've had a mini bye to prepare and we have not looked good against the Bucs or the Lions. This does not bode well for the Giants.

pbmax
11-29-2011, 11:23 AM
The NFC East is proving to be much weaker than expected. Winning on the road is not guaranteed, but the Giants are far from unbeatable there. Even Bretsky's second or third favorite GM hasn't been able to help this year.

Freak Out
11-29-2011, 11:33 AM
I thought it was pronounced 'Yates" but spelled Yeats?

Have they signed Keats yet?

Guiness
11-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Houston's sure having a tough go around, losing Leinart halfway through his first start. Have to feel a little bad for him as well.

MJZiggy
11-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Can't remember the last time I saw an Other Games thread with no mention of a Vikings loss. Wow, have the miseries of our second most hated rival ceased to give us joy? For what it is worth, Percy Harvin had a 104 yard KO return...and didn't get a TD! Those Vikings, they almost score better than anyone.

If it makes you feel better, I still enjoy a good Vikings loss...

Guiness
11-29-2011, 05:27 PM
If it makes you feel better, I still enjoy a good Vikings loss...

Ya, but not as much as I used to. Kind of like the Lions this past decade - it wasn't exactly NEWS AT 11!!!!!!!!!!! when they lost.

MJZiggy
11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Ya, but not as much as I used to. Kind of like the Lions this past decade - it wasn't exactly NEWS AT 11!!!!!!!!!!! when they lost.

See, to me that makes it more fun than shocking...

Guiness
11-29-2011, 10:14 PM
And the Texans sign Delhomme.

Can't imagine what they're expecting out of him. He was awful in Cleveland last year.

pbmax
11-29-2011, 10:20 PM

Can't imagine what they're expecting out of him. He was awful in Cleveland last year.

Its just perplexing what qualified coaches see when he works out. He imploded in that playoff game in 2008 and then was wholly unreliable for the entire next year with the Panthers (passer rating for year: 59.4).

Then he signs a sizable contract with the Browns and is replaced by Seneca Wallace and Colt McCoy. It must be that he can run a West Coast offense or something.

hoosier
11-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Its just perplexing what qualified coaches see when he works out. He imploded in that playoff game in 2008 and then was wholly unreliable for the entire next year with the Panthers (passer rating for year: 59.4).

Then he signs a sizable contract with the Browns and is replaced by Seneca Wallace and Colt McCoy. It must be that he can run a West Coast offense or something.

Could also be an indication of just how shallow the pool of FA QBs is today.

gbgary
11-30-2011, 08:51 AM

that was cle...this is hou. a lot more talent at hou.

pbmax
11-30-2011, 10:25 AM
that was cle...this is hou. a lot more talent at hou.

I dunno gb, he imploded with a 12-4 team (a Carolina team that probably not as strong as most 12-4 teams) in the playoffs and followed that up with a bad performance in Carolina the next year. Then Cleveland.

I think he is teammate-independent washed up.

mraynrand
11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I dunno gb, he imploded with a 12-4 team (a Carolina team that probably not as strong as most 12-4 teams) in the playoffs and followed that up with a bad performance in Carolina the next year. Then Cleveland.

I think he is teammate-independent washed up.

I don't recall the playoff game, but in Cleveland he pretty much looked like a guy whose brain thought his body could still make all the throws it could ten years ago. He could go a whole half, multiple series and look pretty good, then he'd try to throw a quick out to the far sideline from the near hash and BOOM here comes the INT. With an iron discipline (which he didn't show in Cleveland), I think he could still manage a game, but he just can't make certain throws. Right now, he's like a lottery addict: pick6, pick6, pick6.....

Zool
11-30-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't recall the playoff game

I bet Panther fans recall. 17/34, 205yards, 1TD, 5int

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290110029

EDIT: Oof and a lost fumble.

Pugger
11-30-2011, 12:16 PM
NY lost to the Eagles at home a couple of weeks ago. We've had a mini bye to prepare and we have not looked good against the Bucs or the Lions. This does not bode well for the Giants.

If NY gives Rodgers as much time as they gave Brees on Monday night... :drma:

channtheman
11-30-2011, 05:28 PM
If NY gives Rodgers as much time as they gave Brees on Monday night... :drma:

Get your popcorn ready!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q5hunYOzRA