PDA

View Full Version : AJ HAWK

Bretsky
11-24-2011, 07:56 PM
What are your thoughts on his performance this year ? He seemed to be taking a step backwards again this year and has been missing plenty of tackles.

In one of McGinn's opinionated takes last week, he slipped the following into his article. "The Packers made a mistake by resigning Hawk and letting Barnett go."

That one kind of shocked me. Would anybody agree with McGinnn ?

PaCkFan_n_MD
11-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I disagree. Barnett was overrated, 30 yo, and coming off injury. Hawk is a good player and a lot younger than Barnett. Did we over pay for Hawk? Now thats debatable.

George Cumby
11-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Not with McGinn, but boy oh boy, he seems a step (or two) behind on every play this year.

I used to be firmly in his camp, but this year, I kind of cringe watching him play.....

ND72
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm not thrilled with Hawks play, but he isn't supposed to be a play maker in this defense. He's supposed to be the play caller, and the guy who takes on blocks to open up tackles for others. I've kind of liked his attitude this year, kind of ticked off all the time, which I haven't seen a ton of from him. Definitely made the right move in keeping him over Barnett...would just like to see him be more "influential".

CaptainD
11-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Complete horse manure. The defense turned the corner last year when Hawk took over. Last week people where complaining about Hawk and it turns out # 59 not 50 screwed up.
Today Hawk had a couple really nice tackles on D before going out. Here's the bottom line Hawk was on a super bowl D running the show something Barnett could not do...his niche is lining everyone up in the front 7 etc. Time to leave the Hawk underachieves stuff alone. TT doesn't buy it...MM doesn't buy it ...nuff said

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm with ND72 and captd on this one guys. Hawk is the d qb and does well.

George Cumby
11-24-2011, 08:28 PM
I concur that Hawk is a better leader than Barnett, I just don't have the faith in him that I used to.....

ThunderDan
11-24-2011, 08:55 PM
First off Barnett and Hawk don't play the same position in a 3-4 defense. You would never take Hawk out for Barnett to play his role.

That being said Hawk's play this year has been below average/average at best. I thought Hawk started the Lions game well but so far this season Francois's play in the 2nd half eclipsed anything Hawk has done.

I also liked the spark that Smith brought stepping in for Bishop.

mmmdk
11-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Hawk isn't going anywhere!

collapse77
11-24-2011, 10:47 PM
I'd prefer they play DJ Smith from here on out. Can someone tell me what Hawk does well? Lining people up doesn't mean he's the best man for the job and if that was the reason the defense stepped up last year then why can't he line 'em up this year? The defense can play well with him at ILB if they can pressure the QB consistently, but he's a guy that the opposition aims to exploit and that limits what Capers can do schematically. He's a liability in coverage and he's not effective rushing the passer. So what does he bring to the table?

mraynrand
11-24-2011, 11:04 PM
I don't know if Francois was playing the Bishop or the Hawk ILB position, but I don know that Hawk can't make an athletic play like that INT. He hasn't been all that effective in any coverages for a while now.

But I like the creative thread title.

Willard
11-24-2011, 11:20 PM
I thought Hawk looked slow and ineffective today. The play when Stafford scrambled up the middle, Hawk stayed in coverage way too long and then seemed to run at half speed to try to catch up to the play. He looks like he Is on the purple drank he is so damn slow.

mraynrand
11-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Hawk looks like a guy who has lost his confidence. Physically - before the injury - I didn't think he looked bad. But he looks like he doesn't know what to do. Thinking too much and playing on his heels.

ThunderDan
11-24-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't know if Francois was playing the Bishop or the Hawk ILB position, but I don know that Hawk can't make an athletic play like that INT. He hasn't been all that effective in any coverages for a while now.

But I like the creative thread title.

DJ Smith could never play Hawk's position in a 3-4. He is too small to take on guards consistantly.

smuggler
11-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Both Francois and Smith are smaller than Hawk. Those are the guys we've got.

collapse77
11-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Francois is listed at 6'2". Hawk is generously listed at 6'1". He doesn't look 6.1 in person. Smith, while smaller, plays more physical than Hawk. The defense had a different look to it with Smith in the game.

King Friday
11-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Hawk is generally assignment sure, but he's not very physical nor does he possess great athleticism. He's a good LB, but certainly not great.

I disagree that we should've resigned Barnett over Hawk simply from the vantage point that Barnett was getting older and was never exactly durable when he was younger. Barnett may be a slightly better player, but age and chance of injury mean he probably will be on the field a lot less than Hawk. In our current defense, Hawk doesn't have to be a huge playmaker...just play smart and make sure everyone on defense is on the same page. He's very reliable in that regard, so I'm not going to complain about him. However, he's certainly someone who could be replaced with an upgrade in the next couple years.

RashanGary
11-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Jermichael Finley just isn't reliable enough to resign to a huge contract. I'd rather have a DL

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Hawk looks like a guy who has lost his confidence. Physically - before the injury - I didn't think he looked bad. But he looks like he doesn't know what to do. Thinking too much and playing on his heels.

Spot on!

MJZiggy
11-25-2011, 07:14 AM
I'd prefer they play DJ Smith from here on out. Can someone tell me what Hawk does well? Lining people up doesn't mean he's the best man for the job and if that was the reason the defense stepped up last year then why can't he line 'em up this year? The defense can play well with him at ILB if they can pressure the QB consistently, but he's a guy that the opposition aims to exploit and that limits what Capers can do schematically. He's a liability in coverage and he's not effective rushing the passer. So what does he bring to the table?

The defense was different last year. We were getting far better pressure from the line which meant that the secondary didn't have to cover as long because the QBs didn't have as much time to throw before they were run down. I think with Neal in maybe we can get some of that pressure back.

Bossman641
11-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Jermichael Finley just isn't reliable enough to resign to a huge contract. I'd rather have a DL

Really? You couldn't fit this into any of your finley topics?

Brandon494
11-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I remember when I use to get hammered for suggesting that Bishop should start over Hawk back in the day, glad some fans are finally seeing the light. What a horrible draft to have the 5th overall pick. Could you imagine having a impact player like Eric Berry or Patrick Peterson? Both were taken with the 5th overall pick the past 2 seasons.

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I remember when I use to get hammered for suggesting that Bishop should start over Hawk back in the day, glad some fans are finally seeing the light. What a horrible draft to have the 5th overall pick. Could you imagine having a impact player like Eric Berry or Patrick Peterson? Both were taken with the 5th overall pick the past 2 seasons.

I had this email sequence with Bob McGinn where I kept asking him the liklihood that the Packers would trade down and get Ngata somewhere in the 8-10 range. I thought for sure they were gonna do it. If only they had switched to the 3-4 in 2006....

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 10:14 AM
And many of us thought that they should have Taken VD, especially with how bare the offensive cupboard looked.

George Cumby
11-25-2011, 10:20 AM
I thought Hawk looked slow and ineffective today. The play when Stafford scrambled up the middle, Hawk stayed in coverage way too long and then seemed to run at half speed to try to catch up to the play. He looks like he Is on the purple drank he is so damn slow.

That play really jumped out at me as well. He just looks slow physically and mentally. At this point he is who he is.

RashanGary
11-25-2011, 11:00 AM
And many of us thought that they should have Taken VD, especially with how bare the offensive cupboard looked.

I was a VD/Ngata guy.

Cheesehead Craig
11-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm not thrilled with Hawks play, but he isn't supposed to be a play maker in this defense. He's supposed to be the play caller, and the guy who takes on blocks to open up tackles for others. I've kind of liked his attitude this year, kind of ticked off all the time, which I haven't seen a ton of from him. Definitely made the right move in keeping him over Barnett...would just like to see him be more "influential".

Still a Hawk guy myself. The whole LB corps hasn't been that good this season. I really think the lockout and lack of TC really hurt this defense.

Brandon494
11-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Still a Hawk guy myself. The whole LB corps hasn't been that good this season. I really think the lockout and lack of TC really hurt this defense.

I disagree, Bishop and Clay have been playing good this year. I don't think any extra OTAs would have helped Hawk when we are this far in the season.

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I was a VD/Ngata guy.

I was in the VD camp too but Hawk was my guy too. Soon I realised that Ngata was the player that slipped through our fingers.

Still a Hawk guy though.

smuggler
11-25-2011, 11:16 AM
He was right to stay in coverage. If he leaves his man, usually the result is worse. the QB usually doesn't get 20 yards on a scramble.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 11:25 AM

And it was that way for a reason. It is this season where Hawk's play has dropped off.

bobblehead
11-25-2011, 11:31 AM
What are your thoughts on his performance this year ? He seemed to be taking a step backwards again this year and has been missing plenty of tackles.

In one of McGinn's opinionated takes last week, he slipped the following into his article. "The Packers made a mistake by resigning Hawk and letting Barnett go."

That one kind of shocked me. Would anybody agree with McGinnn ?

I said that at the time. Barnett is a better player when healthy. I didn't mind letting Barnett go, but giving Hawk a contract of that value was a mistake. What I was really confused about was how Hawk was valued at so much higher of a level than Bishop.

collapse77
11-25-2011, 11:44 AM
That play really jumped out at me as well. He just looks slow physically and mentally. At this point he is who he is.

Here's another.
http://youtu.be/F4FqIwDB0zU

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Here's another.

Detroits OL created a HUGE lane, three bodies wide, then Hawk bit on the juke and only with help from Peprah got runner down. Ok, Hawk didn't shoot to the gap but there's gotta be a "worse" play by Hawk as this one could hardly be pinned solely on Hawk.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Here's another.

Hawk gets fooled by a fake and goes into the wrong hole but then he comes back and makes the tackle 12 yards down field. Don't watch Bishop on that play if you really want to see the fool. 76 and 67 of Detroit are doubling Raji and than 67 while still engaged with Raji takes Bishop out of the play with 1 arm.

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Hawk gets fooled by a fake and goes into the wrong hole but then he comes back and makes the tackle 12 yards down field. Don't watch Bishop on that play if you really want to see the fool. 76 and 67 of Detroit are doubling Raji and than 67 while still engaged with Raji takes Bishop out of the play with 1 arm.

You're right, AJ picks wrong gap but it seems a vision thing - he's almost standing on his toes to see the runner then a highway emerges and Hawk is misplaced to make an immediate tackle. Barnett would've roared after such a crappy tackle; at least that doesn't happen with Hawk.

collapse77
11-25-2011, 12:04 PM

The only hole was the one Hawk vacated. That was his gap. Not Bishop's.

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Hawk wasn't fronting the gap; I think he lost vision of the play and took aim for an outside run. The Smith juke wasn't even to trick Hawk!

collapse77
11-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Hawk wasn't fronting the gap; I think he lost vision of the play and took aim for an outside run. The Smith juke wasn't even to trick Hawk!

He was unblocked, one on one with Kevin Smith. There was outside containment. There was no where else for the back to go. It was perfect execution by the defense. Your middle backer is set up for a stick and he whiffs. That is a problem.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Sorry but you are wrong. The LG and C double Raji. RG and RT double Pickett. Clay comes up the field and the TE pushes him out. There are now 2 holes on the play. Between Clay and Pickett and between Raji and Pickett. Smith makes a move as if he is going to the outside hole and Hawk goes there. Smith plants and takes it between Raji and Pickett where Hawk has vacated. Burnett was playing deep safety to Calvin Johnson's side so Peprah needs to come up and fill the open hole in the line.

Bishop easily could have slid over and made the tackle 4 yards down the field but gets blocked by one arm of the C who is engaged with Raji.

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 12:27 PM
He was unblocked, one on one with Kevin Smith. There was outside containment. There was no where else for the back to go. It was perfect execution by the defense. Your middle backer is set up for a stick and he whiffs. That is a problem.

Yes it was Hawks gap but Hawk still takes a step in the wrong direction, I believe it's due to bad judgement/vision. I now agree that it's on Hawk; he missed his assignment as rest of D were spot on.

Brandon494
11-25-2011, 12:29 PM
"AJ Hawk makes Kevin Smith look like Barry Sanders" LMAO

Capers defense scheme was to take away Calvin Johnson and the big plays which opened up the run game for Kevin Smith with both safeties playing deep. They put a lot of yards rushing the ball but that's exactly what Capers wanted them to do, Calvin Johnson was locked down all game.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Actually with the blocking on that play Walden has the backside of that run and Bishop needs to scrape into the middle which is wide open.

mmmdk
11-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Sorry but you are wrong. The LG and C double Raji. RG and RT double Pickett. Clay comes up the field and the TE pushes him out. There are now 2 holes on the play. Between Clay and Pickett and between Raji and Pickett. Smith makes a move as if he is going to the outside hole and Hawk goes there. Smith plants and takes it between Raji and Pickett where Hawk has vacated. Burnett was playing deep safety to Calvin Johnson's side so Peprah needs to come up and fill the open hole in the line.

Bishop easily could have slid over and made the tackle 4 yards down the field but gets blocked by one arm of the C who is engaged with Raji.

Sounds right, didn't catch the Bishop thing myself though!

Cheesehead Craig
11-25-2011, 12:33 PM
I disagree, Bishop and Clay have been playing good this year. I don't think any extra OTAs would have helped Hawk when we are this far in the season.

Clay's been a better overall player this year instead of just a pass rusher, but Bishop hasn't done much of anything. On the whole, the entire LB corps looks out of synch.

Brandon494
11-25-2011, 12:34 PM
And it was that way for a reason. It is this season where Hawk's play has dropped off.

Yea because Hawk was a high draft pick, since Bishop has recieved the starting job he has outplayed Hawk.

Brandon494
11-25-2011, 12:39 PM
Clay's been a better overall player this year instead of just a pass rusher, but Bishop hasn't done much of anything. On the whole, the entire LB corps looks out of synch.

Bishop leads the team in tackles and is tied with Clay for most sacks on the team (5). He had a bad game covering Gates in the Chargers game but besides that hes had a really good season.

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Capers defense scheme was to take away Calvin Johnson and the big plays which opened up the run game for Kevin Smith with both safeties playing deep. They put a lot of yards rushing the ball but that's exactly what Capers wanted them to do, Calvin Johnson was locked down all game.

Not only that, but he put Matthews in coverage on Pettigrew most of the time (other times he doubled with Peprah and CWood). Took away their big two weapons and asked everyone else to slow down their pedestrian run game. Good game plan.

collapse77
11-25-2011, 12:44 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Z8E83.jpg

This is right before Hawk jumps to his left. You're telling me there is a hole between Pickett and Matthews? That is pretty sound defense if that is the lane the back chooses.

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Bishop leads the team in tackles and is tied with Clay for most sacks on the team (5). He had a bad game covering Gates in the Chargers game but besides that hes had a really good season.

It's absurd to ask Bishop to cover an elite TE all the way across the field for 4 seconds. They've done that to Bishop in several games, and predictably, when there's no pass rush, he looks bad. The ironic thing is that Bishop has been probably the best or second best pass rusher this season, so when they have him in coverage, it cripples the defense in two ways.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Yes in the NFL that is a running lane. Two unblocked ILBs in your picture. Only Shields beating the block of the WR close the outside hole some.

collapse77
11-25-2011, 12:50 PM
It's absurd to ask Bishop to cover an elite TE all the way across the field for 4 seconds. They've done that to Bishop in several games, and predictably, when there's no pass rush, he looks bad. The ironic thing is that Bishop has been probably the best or second best pass rusher this season, so when they have him in coverage, it cripples the defense in two ways.

Agreed. Their best rushers are their best cover guys. It says a lot when they prefer Bishop and his 4.8 forty to Hawk in coverage.

collapse77
11-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes in the NFL that is a running lane. Two unblocked ILBs in your picture. Only Shields beating the block of the WR close the outside hole some.

Well it's a minimal gain if that is the hole he chooses. Good thing Hawk snuffed out that threat.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Playing a 2-4-5 defense against a one back one TE set for Detroit is exactly what the Lions wanted. It looks like a passing formation with 3 WR but with the safeties playing high all day to take away Clavin Johnson that is really a 6-on-6 blocking situation. Double team the 2 down lineman let the two OLB contain the outside and push them out and you have 3 running lanes and 2 ILBs to cover the holes. Peprah being on the off-side from Calvin Johnson has to come up and "plug" one of the holes. That is the run fit on that play for the Packers.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Well it's a minimal gain if that is the hole he chooses. Good thing Hawk snuffed out that threat.

Really, you are going to argue that an outside hole where if the Detroit WR makes the block on Shields there is only one player between the running back and the endzone is better than pushing the RB back to the middle of the field where Bishop and Burnett plus Peprah could make the tackle.

collapse77
11-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Playing a 2-4-5 defense against a one back one TE set for Detroit is exactly what the Lions wanted. It looks like a passing formation with 3 WR but with the safeties playing high all day to take away Clavin Johnson that is really a 6-on-6 blocking situation. Double team the 2 down lineman let the two OLB contain the outside and push them out and you have 3 running lanes and 2 ILBs to cover the holes. Peprah being on the off-side from Calvin Johnson has to come up and "plug" one of the holes. That is the run fit on that play for the Packers.

10 defenders played it well. There was one hole and it was wearing #50.

collapse77
11-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Really, you are going to argue that an outside hole where if the Detroit WR makes the block on Shields there is only one player between the running back and the endzone is better than pushing the RB back to the middle of the field where Bishop and Burnett plus Peprah could make the tackle.

He doesn't get by Matthews in my opinion.

RashanGary
11-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Sometimes, I do think a player can be better than his actual physical play indicates. Hawk isn't a dominating player like Collins, Bishop, Clay, Raji, Williams and Woodson are. He's more of a leader / communication / responsibility guy. I think the coaches really trust him in there, to keep things flowing the way they want them to. Offenses, more and more are trying to dictate tempo. Defenses can get caught reeling in basic, base defense. The Packers practice fast and furious. Maybe Hawk helps the defense keep up with that fast and furious pace without getting forced into predictable D. . . . Mayber there are a host of other variables we're not aware of.

One thing we do know, TT loved him enough to pay him and I'm certain the coaches had a say in that. Sometimes we just don't know what goes into it.

That said, Bishop is a beast. There is room for primary beasts and primary communication guys. 6M isn't through the roof in todays NFL. It just says, they really like AJ Hawk.

The unfortunate thing, other personnel people don't know what intangibles Hawk brings. They only see his play on the field. I wonder if they could have gotten him cheaper. But he's been probowl alternates. . . . who the hell knows. . . He doesn't flash, but who the hell knows.

Brandon494
11-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Hawk should be making half what he is making right now. I honestly believe DJ Smith would be a better fit starting next to Bishop next season but that wont happen. Also I'm tired of hearing this leader/communication crap like the guy is Ray Lewis out there. I never see him take control of the defensive huddle, hes just a guy.

3irty1
11-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Hawk is really becoming a mystery to me. I've never seen a player turn major strengths into major weaknesses like he has so far in his career. For his first two season's in the Bob Sanders defense he was a superb coverage linebacker even in man to man with a TE or RB. Then he just became stiff and ineffective one offseason. At least he was still a solid tackler--one of the few guys in the league you'd take one on one with any ball carrier. Now he's whiffing on that too. I'm not sure what he still does well.

Packers4Glory
11-25-2011, 03:46 PM
So glad some of you arent in charge. Hawk is just fine. The trouble w the D has been up front and blown coverages in the secondary. Not Hawk.

Brandon494
11-25-2011, 04:05 PM
So glad some of you arent in charge. Hawk is just fine. The trouble w the D has been up front and blown coverages in the secondary. Not Hawk.

What games have you been watching?

pbmax
11-25-2011, 04:34 PM
I think the choices of Barnett, Hawk and Bishop are a bad mix inside. 56 could cover and chase but never was a run stuffer or block eater. Combined with 50, there was a hole in run support. 55 covers the run support but leaves a coverage hole. And 50 can just be average at it all, though he is the best at eating up blocks.

Thompson choose youth and health. Then the coaches and the backups need to deal with the holes.

The Smith run through the middle is the exact price you get with Hawk. Two LBs have 3 gaps to monitor from the 4 man D line. Hawk is so concerned with the outside that he is late filling the middle. In fact, he almost guesses wrong. Normally, Bishop would shoot that gap, force the center/guard to block him and free up Raji for one on one. The problem Hawk also faces is that Pickett has gotten turned, and cannot do much other than occupy space.

The other question is why is 55 so far the LOS? From the screen cap, it almost looks like he has the QB on a boot.

mission
11-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Exactly. He has inside position and is going to cripple forward movement at the very least.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Exactly. He has inside position and is going to cripple forward movement at the very least.

Tell that to LeGarrette Blount last week.

MJZiggy
11-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Tell that to LeGarrette Blount last week. LeGarrette? He must have been beat up a lot as a child.

ThunderDan
11-25-2011, 09:47 PM
LeGarrette? He must have been beat up a lot as a child.

Yeah, had to go to NFL.com to find the correct spelling for that one.

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 11:04 PM
LeGarrette? He must have been beat up a lot as a child.

McGarrett would have been cooler
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Jack_Lord_Hawaii_Five-O_title_220px.png

Bretsky
11-25-2011, 11:47 PM

I see your point but I don't think that is how TT rolls
I think he franchises Finley and looks at a lot of defense in the upcoming draft

Bretsky
11-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Hawk should be making half what he is making right now. I honestly believe DJ Smith would be a better fit starting next to Bishop next season but that wont happen. Also I'm tired of hearing this leader/communication crap like the guy is Ray Lewis out there. I never see him take control of the defensive huddle, hes just a guy.

I think the talk of leadershp/ command over the signals/in huddle...ect....is mostly a result of what the coaches said last year regardng Hawk's presence
People don't have to be a vocal take charge leader like Ray Lewis to lead. That being said, I'd have to agree that the way he is playing right now....he's just a guy.

Fritz
11-26-2011, 08:59 AM
It appears this was not Hawk's best game. It'll be interesting to see how he responds. From what I understand, DJ Smith is Bishop's backup and Francois is Hawk's. I don't see Francois taking any snaps away from Hawk - if they need a cover guy wouldn't you just play another DB? - but are the ILB roles interchangeable enough that DJ Smith could take a few away from Hawk?

Pugger
11-26-2011, 09:14 AM
How come Hawk's backup didn't have a helmet with a wireless communication device like backup QBs do? Evidently when Hawk had to come out we had to resort to old fashioned hand signals to send in defensive plays. :cnf:

swede
11-26-2011, 09:23 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Z8E83.jpg

This is right before Hawk jumps to his left. You're telling me there is a hole between Pickett and Matthews? That is pretty sound defense if that is the lane the back chooses.

These images tell you where players are, not where they are supposed to be.

I was livid watching the game when the replay from behind clearly showed Hawk jumping to his left, effectively taking himself out of the play.

Looking at this image I see Raji (I think that's him) turned around. At this moment Hawk cannot see the RB, but he can see a big patch of green to his left. I simply think it is possible that Raji is supposed to control the interior gap and Hawk has responsibilities for outside contain.

It is a play that certainly gives ammunition to the "Hawk sucks" crowd, but the reality may be quite different.

Bossman641
11-26-2011, 09:34 AM
How come Hawk's backup didn't have a helmet with a wireless communication device like backup QBs do? Evidently when Hawk had to come out we had to resort to old fashioned hand signals to send in defensive plays. :cnf:

Only 2 players are allowed to have the wireless helmets - Hawk and Bishop in our case. Even if both players are injured, you must not be able to transfer the device to another player.

mmmdk
11-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Hawk is really becoming a mystery to me. I've never seen a player turn major strengths into major weaknesses like he has so far in his career. For his first two season's in the Bob Sanders defense he was a superb coverage linebacker even in man to man with a TE or RB. Then he just became stiff and ineffective one offseason. At least he was still a solid tackler--one of the few guys in the league you'd take one on one with any ball carrier. Now he's whiffing on that too. I'm not sure what he still does well.

Hawk is a weightroom addict; this has been documented once in an article by the Milwaukee Journal. That'll slow you down!

mmmdk
11-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I see your point but I don't think that is how TT rolls
I think he franchises Finley and looks at a lot of defense in the upcoming draft

Sounds like TT & a good plan at that.

Pugger
11-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Only 2 players are allowed to have the wireless helmets - Hawk and Bishop in our case. Even if both players are injured, you must not be able to transfer the device to another player.

Oh, I didn't realize both Bishop and Hawk had that. I find that kinda weird tho. Why would 2 guys get the play call from Capers? Shouldn't just one player get the play called in and have HIS backup have the device just in case this happens?

mraynrand
11-26-2011, 09:40 AM

They have emergency backups for such a scenario, but they are clunky, only work over short distances, and are ultimately unreliable.

http://radiowalkietalkie.com/images/Walkie_Talkie.JPG