PDA

View Full Version : This season / Last Season

packers11
11-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I think I was too young to appreciate the 96/97 seasons, but I have been on cloud 9 with the 15+ consecutive wins the packers are on right now... I sit back every game and EXPECT a win no matter what, i'm becoming spoiled to the amount of success this team is having at the moment... I was thinking, just imagine if they win out and go 19-0, the last loss was in New England (were I live) in 2010... It would be 2 years ago... I N S A N E ... Everyone should sit back and appreciate the state of the franchise at the moment, it looked bleek 5-6 years ago, but it looks better than ever now...

Not trying to jinx anything, but how cool would it be...

"best team ever" title... altho I would take a 15-1 season with a Superbowl Title than pull a patriots....

The best part is... Rodgers is only 27... We have another 10-12 years of this dominance... Makes it that much more exciting...

Upnorth
11-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Having a turkey high?
Seriously I kinda feel the same way. Great to be a packer backer!

mraynrand
11-24-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm glad the Packers are starting to accumulate the kind of injuries that propelled them to a title last year.

gbgary
11-24-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm glad the Packers are starting to accumulate the kind of injuries that propelled them to a title last year.

:lol: i'm not.

Pugger
11-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Enjoy this special team and season. I endured the 70s and 80s so you can bet I'm savoring this success big time.

Tony Oday
11-25-2011, 10:21 AM
AR doesn't have 10 years left in his prime....

It is a nice run but if the Pack have another first half like yesterday against a competent team we could be in trouble. Plus do we have a healthy linebacker?

Scott Campbell
11-25-2011, 10:24 AM
AR doesn't have 10 years left in his prime....

It is a nice run but if the Pack have another first half like yesterday against a competent team we could be in trouble. Plus do we have a healthy linebacker?

Over the last couple of weeks the team looks to me like it isn't playing as well.

smuggler
11-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, the offense is getting crippled by drops or mistiming. I have seen about 7-8 drops in the last 2 games combined.

Scott Campbell
11-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, unfortunately, the offense is getting crippled by drops or mistiming. I have seen about 7-8 drops in the last 2 games combined.

It's not just the drops. AR isn't throwing the ball as well IMO. Even on the Jones TD, it wasn't a well thrown ball.

Spaulding
11-25-2011, 11:11 AM
That's the amazing thing, this team doesn't look to be playing well and yet continues to churn out wins. Going on the road against a division rival whose no slouch themselves, playing marginal and still winning going away tells me something. That this team even on an off day has a better than naught chance to win.

That being said, sure hope they don't continue this type of play into the playoffs as it could be one and done there if we hit a hot team. I think they continue to produce on offense and the defense steps it up like they did against the vikes and like they do at times in each of the past games and we're fine.

Sure would like to see more pass rush though. Saw Neal playing and he looked decent but not near as good as I had hoped in that flash we saw from his last year. Also too many runs up the gut. Need to shore that up quick as I could easily see us start out of the gates misfiring and then get behind in cold weather and have a team pound the ball inside to beat us.

Tony Oday
11-25-2011, 11:52 AM
And not to make excusses but what three games in twelve days?

AR needs to clean it up a bit (300 yards and 2tds and I'm bitching...) and is it me or did it seem like the lions in the first half took away the slants?

channtheman
11-25-2011, 05:19 PM
And not to make excusses but what three games in twelve days?

AR needs to clean it up a bit (300 yards and 2tds and I'm bitching...) and is it me or did it seem like the lions in the first half took away the slants?

Rodgers was bad in the Bucs game, no doubt. Against Detroit though, blame it on the receivers. Cobb had a drop (yes there was PI, but he still had a decent shot at it), Finley had 2-4 drops (I can't remember exactly), Jordy dropped one, Jones dropped one (PI that wasn't called again I believe). The only 2 throws Rodgers wasn't so good on were the non TD to Driver Suh play and the deep throw to Jones (which still scored).

mission
11-25-2011, 05:51 PM
I can't tell if you guys are being serious or not.

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 06:25 PM
I can't tell if you guys are being serious or not.

You can't be serious!

http://bestplayerintheworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/article-1022813-000D8B050000044C-246_224x277.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
11-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Enjoy this special team and season. I endured the 70s and 80s so you can bet I'm savoring this success big time.

honestly, i enjoyed the packers just as much in the past. There were a couple reaally bad years in the late 80's that were discouraging. But the Lynn Dickey 8-8 teams, for instance, were a blast. I don't remember the 70's teams well, but the viking & bears games were more exciting than they are today.

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 07:17 PM
but the viking & bears games were more exciting than they are today.

Are you joking? There have been some great divisional games of late. You just had the first meeting of Packers Bears in what is essentially the old NFL championship game and it was down to the wire. A few blow outs in the Vikings-Packers rivalry, but you had those in the other direction in the 70s and 80s. Plus, those 10-10 ties sucked. Yeah, there were a handful of fin games in the Dickey era, but a lot of sucky games and terrible losses.

I don't enjoy watching Cleveland squeak out a victory against Jacksonville in a game played poorly by two bad teams. That's what the rivalry games were like in the 70s and 80s for the most part, except when the Packers got destroyed by far superior Bears and Vikings teams.

Harlan Huckleby
11-25-2011, 10:17 PM
the rivalry games were much more heated in past years. Slug fests regardless of record. Bear & Viking games today are not that different from other games. if you remember games as boring, you must have been deeply miserable, unable to experience pleasure.

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 10:56 PM
the rivalry games were much more heated in past years. Slug fests regardless of record. Bear & Viking games today are not that different from other games. if you remember games as boring, you must have been deeply miserable, unable to experience pleasure.

Sure, those Favre games in 2009 were totally ordinary. The Bears/Packers in '85 and '86 were slugfests because Gregg pulled a Schwartz. There were a handful of slugfests between GB and the Vikings - like the fall '89 game in GB. Most of the rest were pretty dull. Even the instant replay game was exceedingly dull until the last drive. I think you are viewing your past through rose colored glasses. I think the rivalries were far more heated going further back from the '70s. Even if the rivalry was more heated, many of the games were unexciting, from a pure football perspective. A lot of bad football was being played. But what of it? This is just my perspective - go ahead and indulge your fantasies.

mission
11-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Lol Pulled a schwartz... Is that like pulling a Shrute?

mraynrand
11-25-2011, 11:08 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/441/eb0/652/resized/dwight-schrute-meme-generator-actions-speak-louder-than-words-false-the-loudest-action-is-to-scream-533ff1.jpg

Pugger
11-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Back in the 70s and 80s you hoped the Pack would win but knew deep down they wouldn't. It wasn't for lack of trying but lack of TALENT. There were too many times where we'd get a late lead and then couldn't stop the opposition from driving down for the winning TD or FG. Wins were few and far between. I left Lambeau field to many times deflated. Cherish this team and this historic run. We are witnessing a once in a generation treat.

Harlan Huckleby
11-26-2011, 01:01 AM
I always thought the Lynn Dickey era teams would win, they had plenty of talent.

The only miserable years were a couple Lindy Infante teams, and maybe the late seventies. Otherwise, it was "the pack is back!" hope

Pugger
11-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Back in Lynn Dickey's era we could score but our defense was a sieve. Dickey even lately admitted he threw a lot of INTs because he knew he had to make a play whether it was there or not because our defenses back then were so lousy.

Harlan Huckleby
11-26-2011, 11:41 AM
I just remember Packer games being as fun as they are today. Maybe the fact that I am now a jaded, bitter old man levels the pleasure field.

For sure, there were A LOT fewer fans prior to Holmgren. And I don't know what is was like to go to a live game and watch losses. I just remember The Mad Stork, Mad Dog Douglass, Eddie Lee Ivory, "Fresh Start with Bart" - lots to get excited about.

KalamazooPackerFan
11-26-2011, 03:28 PM

Absolutely! Surviving the Bengston/Devine/Starr/Gregg/Infante years is what made the late 90s and the last two seasons so sweet! No matter the debates about what holes there are on the team you know we are in every game and that the team is set up to be good for along time.

yooperfan
11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
"Fresh Start with Bart"

"The Pack will be Back" bumper stickers.

Pugger
11-26-2011, 06:45 PM
"The Pack is Devine"

What was the one for Gregg...wasn't it something about trees? And what was the one for Infante? I can't seem to find it online...

Joemailman
11-26-2011, 06:49 PM
"The Pack is Devine"

What was the one for Gregg...wasn't it something about trees? And what was the one for Infante? I can't seem to find it online...

Wasn't it...Forrest Fire In Green Bay?

Remember Holmgren's Heroes?