PDA

View Full Version : The Lions are DIRTY because of JIM SCHWARTZ!!!!!

gbpackfan
11-25-2011, 07:09 PM
That POS they call a head coach is refusing to do anything about Suh. From Rotoworld.com.

Coach Jim Schwartz indicated in a Sirius XM Radio interview Friday that if Ndamukong Suh is suspended for his Thanksgiving stomping of Packers RG Evan Dietrich-Smith, the ban will not be team-imposed.
"The league is, obviously, going to look at it, and if there’s discipline involved in a case like that, it will come from the NFL," Schwartz said. The Lions could have tried beating the league to the punch with a lesser form of discipline than anticipated from the NFL, but it appears they won't be doing that. Suh is very likely at risk of a multi-game suspension.

He just doesn't get it. He doesn't have control over his team and he sure as hell doesn't have any control over Suh. Suh is like a giant spoiled brat that will continue to throw temper tantrums until daddy spanks him.

Schwartz showed his true colors after the 49ers' game, so I'm not really surprised. Just disappointed.

gbpackfan
11-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Even more proof. From the Detroit Free Press. JIMMY CLAIMS HE HASN'T EVEN SEEN THE STOMP!!!!! Are you kidding me? Does he really expect us to believe that shit! Now we know where Suh gets it from!!!!

Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz got so incensed with a personal foul committed by Gosder Cherilus at the end of a season-opening win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that he benched Cherilus for the Week 2 game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

But Schwartz, in an interview on SiriusXM NFL radio today, doesn’t sound like he’ll be doling out equal justice to Ndamukong Suh for the personal foul that got him kicked out of Thursday's game and cost the Lions points.

“The league is, obviously, going to look at it, and if there’s discipline involved in a case like that, it will come from the NFL,” Schwartz said.

Suh stomped on the arm of Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith midway through the third quarter of the Lions’ 27-15 Thanksgiving loss.

Suh was penalized and ejected, and the NFL said it will review the play for potential discipline next week. A fine or suspension is possible.

The Lions organization addressed Suh’s actions in a press release on Friday:

“The on-field conduct exhibited by Ndamukong Suh that led to his ejection from yesterday’s game was unacceptable and failed to meet the high level of sportsmanship we expect from our players.

“Ndamukong has made many positive contributions to the Lions on and off the field. We expect his behavior going forward to consistently reflect that high standard of professionalism.

“We have been in contact with Commissioner Goodell’s office and were advised that, like any on-field matter, Thursday’s incident is subject to review by the League office and that any subsequent discipline would be determined by the League office.”

After the Lions had stopped Green Bay on third-and-goal to force a field-goal attempt, Suh’s penalty gave the Packers an automatic first down at the 1-yard line. Fullback John Kuhn scored two plays later.

Cherilus was flagged for unnecessary roughness when he hit linebacker Geno Hayes and dived late on a pile with 1:16 left and the Lions trying to kill the clock in a 27-20 victory over Tampa Bay.

After that game, Schwartz called the penalty “stupid” and fumed that “our defense shouldn’t have been in that situation” of having to stop a last-minute drive that could have tied the game. The next week, Corey Hilliard replaced Cherilus at right tackle.

Schwartz explained his decision to bench Cherilus by saying, “The way we finished last week wasn’t our best presentation, and Gosder plays a lot of good football for us and will continue to play a lot of good football for us, but it’s just one of those things that we can’t allow to happen.”

While Suh’s penalty was more egregious, Schwartz never criticized the stomping act itself. He said Thursday he didn’t see the incident happen live nor watch the replay, and today on Sirius, he said his view “was pretty well blocked” on the field.

“I think the more important thing there is that that was a situation that we had just had a stop ... and had a chance to get off with just a field goal there, and what Ndamukong did is he put his teammates in a bad position,” Schwartz said. “We had to go right back on the field and have first-and-goal, ended up giving up a touchdown. And we can’t lose our composure at times like that.

“Regardless of what happens, anything else, there’s no excuse for losing our composure on the field. You want to play with passion, you want to play as hard and as physical as you can from snap to whistle, but you never want to do anything to put your team in a bad spot. And Ndamukong did that in two ways. No. 1, we had to go play another snap and end up giving up a touchdown, but then also he wasn’t available for the rest of the game. So we can’t afford that from a great player like Ndamukong.”

Schwartz said he and Suh "spent a lot of time together" today but declined to share details of their conversation.

"We do after just about every game," Schwartz said. "There’s going to be things that come up and things like that that we need to address. We did spend time together, but I think I’ll just leave it at that."

red
11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
i was thinking the exact same thing all last night and all day today

what do expect from players who are coached by the most obnoxious and immature person in the game?

schwartz is slime, and his players are following his lead

Freak Out
11-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Motor city madmen.

Pugger
11-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Guess who was the D coordinator in TN when Haynesworth stomped that Cowboy player in the face a few years ago?

pbmax
11-25-2011, 11:50 PM
I dont like being forced by Schwartz to reevaluate the earlier Harbaugh incident. I was happy with another reason to dislike Jimmy.

Fritz
11-26-2011, 06:38 AM
I know that in professional sports there's no such thing as equal treatment. It's a fact of life that a star gets treated better by his coaches and suffers less disciplinary action than the backup tight end. But I still wonder how the Lions' team will react to Schvantz not doing anything about Suh's silly play, and in fact saying he hasn't even seen it, after sitting his starting right tackle earlier in the season for a dumb penalty.

sheepshead
11-26-2011, 07:17 AM
He's a tool, as I have said, as long as he's on the sidelines, we don't have to worry about the Lions. His act isn't going to translate into championships.

Pugger
11-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Even more proof. From the Detroit Free Press. JIMMY CLAIMS HE HASN'T EVEN SEEN THE STOMP!!!!! Are you kidding me? Does he really expect us to believe that shit! Now we know where Suh gets it from!!!!

Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz got so incensed with a personal foul committed by Gosder Cherilus at the end of a season-opening win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers that he benched Cherilus for the Week 2 game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

But Schwartz, in an interview on SiriusXM NFL radio today, doesn’t sound like he’ll be doling out equal justice to Ndamukong Suh for the personal foul that got him kicked out of Thursday's game and cost the Lions points.

“The league is, obviously, going to look at it, and if there’s discipline involved in a case like that, it will come from the NFL,” Schwartz said.

Suh stomped on the arm of Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith midway through the third quarter of the Lions’ 27-15 Thanksgiving loss.

Suh was penalized and ejected, and the NFL said it will review the play for potential discipline next week. A fine or suspension is possible.

The Lions organization addressed Suh’s actions in a press release on Friday:

“The on-field conduct exhibited by Ndamukong Suh that led to his ejection from yesterday’s game was unacceptable and failed to meet the high level of sportsmanship we expect from our players.

“Ndamukong has made many positive contributions to the Lions on and off the field. We expect his behavior going forward to consistently reflect that high standard of professionalism.

“We have been in contact with Commissioner Goodell’s office and were advised that, like any on-field matter, Thursday’s incident is subject to review by the League office and that any subsequent discipline would be determined by the League office.”

After the Lions had stopped Green Bay on third-and-goal to force a field-goal attempt, Suh’s penalty gave the Packers an automatic first down at the 1-yard line. Fullback John Kuhn scored two plays later.

Cherilus was flagged for unnecessary roughness when he hit linebacker Geno Hayes and dived late on a pile with 1:16 left and the Lions trying to kill the clock in a 27-20 victory over Tampa Bay.

After that game, Schwartz called the penalty “stupid” and fumed that “our defense shouldn’t have been in that situation” of having to stop a last-minute drive that could have tied the game. The next week, Corey Hilliard replaced Cherilus at right tackle.

Schwartz explained his decision to bench Cherilus by saying, “The way we finished last week wasn’t our best presentation, and Gosder plays a lot of good football for us and will continue to play a lot of good football for us, but it’s just one of those things that we can’t allow to happen.”

While Suh’s penalty was more egregious, Schwartz never criticized the stomping act itself. He said Thursday he didn’t see the incident happen live nor watch the replay, and today on Sirius, he said his view “was pretty well blocked” on the field.

“I think the more important thing there is that that was a situation that we had just had a stop ... and had a chance to get off with just a field goal there, and what Ndamukong did is he put his teammates in a bad position,” Schwartz said. “We had to go right back on the field and have first-and-goal, ended up giving up a touchdown. And we can’t lose our composure at times like that.

“Regardless of what happens, anything else, there’s no excuse for losing our composure on the field. You want to play with passion, you want to play as hard and as physical as you can from snap to whistle, but you never want to do anything to put your team in a bad spot. And Ndamukong did that in two ways. No. 1, we had to go play another snap and end up giving up a touchdown, but then also he wasn’t available for the rest of the game. So we can’t afford that from a great player like Ndamukong.”

Schwartz said he and Suh "spent a lot of time together" today but declined to share details of their conversation.

"We do after just about every game," Schwartz said. "There’s going to be things that come up and things like that that we need to address. We did spend time together, but I think I’ll just leave it at that."

I too believe the only reason why he benched Cherilus and not Suh is because Suh is the better player, plain and simple. Schwartz is also a defensive coach. As long as the loins put up with this behavior from their HC on down this is what we should expect from that bunch of losers.

Fritz
11-26-2011, 09:21 AM
If you want to know the truth about all this read some Lions' forums. Schvantz is a hero for sticking up for his guy (what a defense - he says he hasn't even seem the play! What, he doesn't watch film of his team's games?).

bobblehead
11-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I dont like being forced by Schwartz to reevaluate the earlier Harbaugh incident. I was happy with another reason to dislike Jimmy.

same here, but I had reevaluated it shortly after I saw the video of Schwartz saying "learn the rules" and other shit he has pulled. What do Haynesworth and Suh have in common? Schwartz was the DC when Fat Albert stomped on a guy. Suh wasn't a problem child before Schwartz got on the scene. If I'm detroit I fire him before he ruins my marquee player for good.

LP
11-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Let us not forget that Tennessee is also the home of one Cortland Finnegan, also known as a very dirty player. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe the Schwartz was replaced by none other than Chuck Cecil. While remembered here with some fondness, Cecil was not above a little dirty play himself.

Of course, this was all under the auspices of former shit eating Chicago Bear, Jeff Fischer. As you can see, all things evil in this world start with the Bears.

George Cumby
11-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Let us not forget that Tennessee is also the home of one Cortland Finnegan, also known as a very dirty player. Correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe the Schwartz was replaced by none other than Chuck Cecil. While remembered here with some fondness, Cecil was not above a little dirty play himself.

Of course, this was all under the auspices of former shit eating Chicago Bear, Jeff Fischer. As you can see, all things evil in this world start with the Bears.

Well played,sir. Well played.

pbmax
11-26-2011, 09:24 PM
same here, but I had reevaluated it shortly after I saw the video of Schwartz saying "learn the rules" and other shit he has pulled. What do Haynesworth and Suh have in common? Schwartz was the DC when Fat Albert stomped on a guy. Suh wasn't a problem child before Schwartz got on the scene. If I'm detroit I fire him before he ruins my marquee player for good.

Alright, you've convinced me. How about we compromise and dislike both?

MJZiggy
11-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Alright, you've convinced me. How about we compromise and dislike both?

I love when we work together to come up with the best solution!

Fritz
11-27-2011, 07:10 AM

This is like the six degrees of Kevin Bacon, only it's the Chicago Bears. I think Mohmmar Khadafy was a Bears fan...

Deputy Nutz
11-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Detroit was one of the worst franchises in sports, and Schwartz has reuilt this orgization that was the laughing stock of the NFL. He had to infuze this team with some nastiness to get where they are. They are still short on talent, but not attitude. I really can't find fault with what he had to do to bring life back into the Lions.

Pugger
11-27-2011, 02:51 PM
The Packers were the laughing stock of the league for 20 years until Harlan had the good sense to hire Wolf and allow RW to be in charge of football operations. Wolf and Holmgren didn't resort to infuze nastiness in our style of play and we were damn successful. There is nothing wrong with having an attitude but chippiness and cheap shots have no place on the gridiron.

Deputy Nutz
11-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Funny, I don't think you have ever played in an organized football game. In the trenches it nothing but cheap shots, cut blocks, ankle twists, hands to the face, and shots to the nuts. Football is a dirty game, played by dirty players. You don't want to get caught stomping on a guy by the refs or the cameras that is a big no-no.
Schwartz has brought a toughness to this team, it may lack some respect, but it is what Detroit needed.

Wolf spent money, he got Favre, and spent the cash to get White. He found some great pillars to build his team around.

pbmax
11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Funny, I don't think you have ever played in an organized football game. In the trenches it nothing but cheap shots, cut blocks, ankle twists, hands to the face, and shots to the nuts. Football is a dirty game, played by dirty players. You don't want to get caught stomping on a guy by the refs or the cameras that is a big no-no.
Schwartz has brought a toughness to this team, it may lack some respect, but it is what Detroit needed.

Wolf spent money, he got Favre, and spent the cash to get White. He found some great pillars to build his team around.

It's slightly more than a fine line between bringing toughness and kicking someone when they are down on the ground. And I say this as someone who has intentionally run over a down player on the LOS after they went to cut my legs. I don't recall even Wayne Simmons kicking other players even as he was blasting and rag dolling them, and Holmgren didn't think Simmons could be controlled.

If Schwartz has nothing else but this in his bag of tricks, he will go the way of Singletary shortly. The Schwatz has the best player on the team hurting the rest of the team. If he can't keep a lid on him, one or the other has to go.

Joemailman
11-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Teaching toughness without discipline gets you in Forrest Gregg territory. It's true that Schwartz had to change the losing atmosphere there, but so did Wolf and Holmgren here. You can do it without being stupid. Holmgren let Chuck Cecil go after 1 season because he thought Cecil committed too many dumb penalties. The Lions won't get rid of Suh, so Schwartz better be able to get him under control.

Deputy Nutz
11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
It's slightly more than a fine line between bringing toughness and kicking someone when they are down on the ground. And I say this as someone who has intentionally run over a down player on the LOS after they went to cut my legs. I don't recall even Wayne Simmons kicking other players even as he was blasting and rag dolling them, and Holmgren didn't think Simmons could be controlled.

If Schwartz has nothing else but this in his bag of tricks, he will go the way of Singletary shortly. The Schwatz has the best player on the team hurting the rest of the team. If he can't keep a lid on him, one or the other has to go.

I never said any of that stuff was honarable, especially stomping on someone, A coach isn't going to throw his player under the bus, it ain't gonna happen. Schwartz has a very long rope in Detroit. He isn't going any where.

sharpe1027
11-28-2011, 10:26 AM
I never said any of that stuff was honarable, especially stomping on someone, A coach isn't going to throw his player under the bus, it ain't gonna happen. Schwartz has a very long rope in Detroit. He isn't going any where.

He already threw Cherilus under the bus, either Cherilus is not "his player" or you need to amend your statement. Perhaps "A coach isn't going to throw his star player under the bus." ;)

mraynrand
11-28-2011, 10:26 AM
As you can see, all things evil in this world start with the Bears.

This is the kind of hyperbole that makes the Packers/Bears rivalry what it is today. Make sure to bring this stuff back on Christmas day, the holiest of all days, a day hated by the evil Bears. I'll get you started: Lovie Smith is like Herod or Pontius Pilate, or both rolled into one.

Deputy Nutz
11-28-2011, 11:51 AM
He already threw Cherilus under the bus, either Cherilus is not "his player" or you need to amend your statement. Perhaps "A coach isn't going to throw his star player under the bus." ;)

I thought it went without saying, but he isn't going to call out Suh, especially after Suh made an ass of himself at the post game presser. It is best for Schwartz just to walk away from this one. He has a start of a very good team, he has a weak secondary that needs to be fixed, and needs a healthy running back, but you can't argue that Schwartz hasn't done a good job at rebuilding the Lions.

sharpe1027
11-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I thought it went without saying, but he isn't going to call out Suh, especially after Suh made an ass of himself at the post game presser. It is best for Schwartz just to walk away from this one. He has a start of a very good team, he has a weak secondary that needs to be fixed, and needs a healthy running back, but you can't argue that Schwartz hasn't done a good job at rebuilding the Lions.

I disagree. You can do a lot of things other than walk away and pretend you are too busy/stupid to look at a replay. For example, he could man up and confront Suh. They could then can come up with a smart way to institute some sort of damage control. For instance, Suh could admit to wrong doing and Schwartz could say that the incident is being dealt with internally. Instead, he sounds almost as bad as Suh's excuse with this "I didn't see it" excuse.

George Cumby
11-28-2011, 12:45 PM
I disagree. You can do a lot of things other than walk away and pretend you are too busy/stupid to look at a replay. For example, he could man up and confront Suh. They could then can come up with a smart way to institute some sort of damage control. For instance, Suh could admit to wrong doing and Schwartz could say that the incident is being dealt with internally. Instead, he sounds almost as bad as Suh's excuse with this "I didn't see it" excuse.

Exactly.

Schwartz should have a closed doors meeting with Suh, impose whatever sanctions/discipline are deemed appropriate, tell the media it's been dealt with, learn how to say that's it's been dealt with internally one hundred different ways and move on.

Like disciplining your child, you don't do it on the play-ground in front of all his friends. You take him behind a tree, talk to him, correct the behavior and then act as if nothing is out of the ordinary.

Fritz
11-28-2011, 06:08 PM
It will be interesting to see if Schvantz says or does anything. I'd love to be the fly on the wall. I get a feeling this is a pivotal moment for the franchise. If the coach and team staunchly defend Suh, then Suh will feel justified in what he did and said (despite his supposed call to apologize to the Commish) and eventually The Schvantz will lose control of the team. If The Schvantz makes it clear that no player is bigger than the team (like TT did a few years back...) then the Leos are on the right track.

But there's no real way at this point to know what tack The Schvantz will take.

MadtownPacker
11-28-2011, 09:57 PM
I had a high opinion of schwartz.

That was when the season started. After handshakegate his cookie has been crumbling. If somehow he allows what looked like a playoff season to turn into a losing slump or worse yet a losing record, will it leave him with zero slack next year? Or does he just get the boot after the last game of the year, courtesy of the GBP? :lol:

channtheman
11-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I had a high opinion of schwartz.

That was when the season started. After handshakegate his cookie has been crumbling. If somehow he allows what looked like a playoff season to turn into a losing slump or worse yet a losing record, will it leave him with zero slack next year? Or does he just get the boot after the last game of the year, courtesy of the GBP? :lol:

I told my dad earlier when the Lions were 5-0 that I could see them being pretenders and dropping off in the second half of the season. We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but these Lions might just suck after all. :D

Pugger
11-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Did Suh call and apologize for his actions because he was prompted by Schwartz or his agent? I have a hard time believing he'd do it without prodding because I doubt he thinks he did anything wrong and THAT is the real problem with this young man.

mmmdk
11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I told my dad earlier when the Lions were 5-0 that I could see them being pretenders and dropping off in the second half of the season. We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but these Lions might just suck after all. :D

Kinda same thing here; I wrote the above inside my left palm...time went & I forgot about it. But alas, yesterday I took monthly or so bath and now it's all washed away. :(
Until now! :grin:

sharpe1027
11-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Did Suh call and apologize for his actions because he was prompted by Schwartz or his agent? I have a hard time believing he'd do it without prodding because I doubt he thinks he did anything wrong and THAT is the real problem with this young man.

QFT.

Scott Campbell
11-29-2011, 09:50 AM

The fact that he called Goodell and not EDS should tell you all you need to know about his remorse.

mraynrand
11-29-2011, 10:43 AM
It will be interesting to see if Schvantz says or does anything. I'd love to be the fly on the wall. I get a feeling this is a pivotal moment for the franchise. If the coach and team staunchly defend Suh, then Suh will feel justified in what he did and said (despite his supposed call to apologize to the Commish) and eventually The Schvantz will lose control of the team. If The Schvantz makes it clear that no player is bigger than the team (like TT did a few years back...) then the Leos are on the right track.

But there's no real way at this point to know what tack The Schvantz will take.

Good use of 'Schvantz'

mmmdk
11-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Good use of 'Schvantz'

I agree! Awesome!! Schvantz!!!

Guiness
11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
The fact that he called Goodell and not EDS should tell you all you need to know about his remorse.

+1

Robinson got a hold of Lang right away, didn't he?

No way Suh apologized on his own, or even wrote the statement that showed up on fb himself.

mraynrand
11-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Not literally. He was sore.

Smidgeon
11-29-2011, 03:13 PM
+1

No way Suh apologized on his own, or even wrote the statement that showed up on fb himself.

Facebook: the way mature people apologize...

George Cumby
11-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Facebook: the way mature people apologize...

Kids these days...

gbgary
11-30-2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/11/30/11/Suh-adopts-coachs-phony-persona/landing_lions.html?blockID=615548&feedID=3706

pbmax
11-30-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/11/30/11/Suh-adopts-coachs-phony-persona/landing_lions.html?blockID=615548&feedID=3706

Well, there are now two of us on this kick now. Much less lonely.

channtheman
11-30-2011, 05:30 PM
I swear sportswriters must read packerrats. You guys always seem to be ahead by a few days

Patler
11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I swear sportswriters must read packerrats. You guys always seem to be ahead by a few days

or by six weeks:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?22960-Jim-Schwartz-Giant-flapping-vagina

MJZiggy
11-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Maybe they should have put that somewhere besides the Detroit page. They really don't seem to like her in the comments section.

pbmax
11-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Looks like the Pellini method has other adherents. From today's JSO Lang article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/wakeup-call-a838c6k-134726453.html

Know this: T.J. Lang isn't a cookie-cutter offensive lineman. His technique isn't sculpted, his footwork isn't elegant. Lang is not necessarily a guard or a tackle. After converting from defense to offense at Eastern Michigan, his coach encouraged prison-rules abandon.

Chris Symington told Lang he needed to be different. He needed to "hate" opponents.

"He really took that on," said Symington, who now coaches at Colorado State-Pueblo. "He just didn't like people very much. . . . Once you walked on that field, he was trying to hurt you. He's too+ mean. He doesn't take (expletive) from anybody."

After three years of this in the Mid-American Conference from 2005-'07, Lang became bored. Complacent. It drove Symington mad. Berating Lang wouldn't work. The two were beyond that. And it's not like Symington could bench his best player.

So three games into Lang's final year in 2008 Symington tried to "stir his soul."

In the dark, dreary, dusty basement of Eastern Michigan's basketball arena, the coach brought Lang into a classroom at 7:30 p.m. Symington put game film on, set down the remote and told Lang to pretend he's a scout.

"Evaluate yourself and you let me know if you would draft you," Symington remembers telling Lang. "I'm going to leave and take however long it takes. You want to look at it for 5 minutes, you don't want to listen to me, you don't want to do (expletive), you want to walk out of here, that's fine.

"However long it takes, you look at yourself and you ask yourself if you would draft you.'"

Symington went home. Hours passed. The coach forgot Lang was still there when his cell phone lit up at 11 p.m. and Symington's wife wondered who on earth was texting her husband this late.

No need to panic. It was his left tackle.

Lang thanked his coach and said, "No," he would not draft himself. From that point on, something clicked. In the meeting room, Lang started diagramming blocking assignments. And on the field, he continued to play with a snarl, a swagger that'd compensate for any lack of grace.

"When he's riding that fine line you better watch the (expletive) out," Symington said. "He doesn't care who you are. He's going to try to hurt you. That's what I wanted him to do. I preached that daily. Is it right or wrong? I don't know. He's going to make a lot of (expletive) money."

In the wrong hands, either the coach who does not also teach self-control or the player who does not exercise it, this is probably trouble waiting to happen.

George Cumby
12-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Looks like the Pellini method has other adherents. From today's JSO Lang article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/wakeup-call-a838c6k-134726453.html

In the wrong hands, either the coach who does not also teach self-control or the player who does not exercise it, this is probably trouble waiting to happen.

Right.

The thing with Robison: Lang was CLEARLY looming over him, asserting complete dominance when the kick came. The kick was uncalled for, but Lang was, within the rules, antagonizing Robison. And I'm ok with assertion of dominance, it's football ferchrissakes.

I thought this quote from Rodgers about Vandendouche was interesting and germane to the thread (From JSO Blog):

"'Ohhh I got you goood. That one had to hurt.' That’s how he was talking to me, and I was like 'Ah, yeah, that was a good hit.' He likes to lay on people. Like I said, if you have a camera on him the entire game, and we watch the film, he is late getting to a lot of plays, and he just lays on guys, and stays on there. He probably did that at least a half-dozen times. So he’s laying on me, and I’m laying there. We threw a pass, completed, and he’s like [imitates Vanden Bosch's voice] 'I got you good, that had to hurt.' And I’m like, 'You hit me good, that was a good hit.' And he goes [imitation] 'Ohh yeah.' And I’m like, 'You’re probably getting a penalty though.' He goes, 'No way.' So I think someone finally came to pull him off me, because he probably would have laid there for awhile, and I was 'Yeah, you got me on the chin there, it’s probably a penalty."

So I'm thinking Vandenpuke is sublimating his homosexual desire for ARod in front of a national tv audience.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Pugger
12-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Rodgers should have whispered to Vanden Bosch "scoreboard".

George Cumby
12-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Rodgers should have whispered to Vanden Bosch "scoreboard".

hehehe

pbmax
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Is it just me, or do you get a creepy vibe from Vandenbosch, like he is enjoying laying on top of the QB too much? Maybe it reads different than it sounded. In my head it sounds like Randy Savage trying to charm someone. Uncomfortable.

Fritz
12-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Is it just me, or do you get a creepy vibe from Vandenbosch, like he is enjoying laying on top of the QB too much? Maybe it reads different than it sounded. In my head it sounds like Randy Savage trying to charm someone. Uncomfortable.

As creepy as Lot's daughters laying with him, yes.

jdrats
12-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I guess it is just a matter of perspective, according an article in The Detroit Free Press, apparently Schwartz bears no responibility at all for anything his players do after the whistle.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111201/SPORTS01/111201003/1049/rss14

The premise itself is of course ridiculous, but here are a few choice cuts:

"...he’s responsible for what happens from whistle to whistle. That’s what he coaches. What a player does beyond that is on the player."

"This is pro football. The head coach is responsible for hiring the right coaches and calling the right plays. But when it comes to discipline, if these guys can’t police themselves, then they can’t be policed."

Probably the most asinine football related viewpoint I've ever read.

mraynrand
12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
As creepy as Lot's daughters laying with him, yes.

I don't think Rodgers was anywhere near as drunk as Lot. Anyway, Vandenbosch seems more like the men of Sodom knocking on Lot's chamber door: "And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them." Ewww

Pugger
12-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I guess it is just a matter of perspective, according an article in The Detroit Free Press, apparently Schwartz bears no responibility at all for anything his players do after the whistle.

"...he’s responsible for what happens from whistle to whistle. That’s what he coaches. What a player does beyond that is on the player."

"This is pro football. The head coach is responsible for hiring the right coaches and calling the right plays. But when it comes to discipline, if these guys can’t police themselves, then they can’t be policed."

Schwartz is saying this? No wonder his roster is full of thugs...

Fritz
12-01-2011, 04:28 PM
It's a circle the wagons mentality. The week after the Chicago game before a practice, one of the coaches called the players out onto the field for a merry session of chanting "Fuck them, fuck them!" over and over as a response to the usual "them" - the naysayers and critics.

jdrats
12-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Schwartz is saying this? No wonder his roster is full of thugs...

No, I guess I said it badly--it is the home town writer dissolving Schwartz of any responsibility, but I can't imagine Schwartz feeling that he bears any responsibility in the situation.

gbgary
12-01-2011, 07:02 PM

well that's just ridiculous! that's irresponsible! on soundfx one of the Packers' coaches is heard telling the guys to "keep their heads" and not get caught up in that stuff. coaches are as responsible as the players when it comes to discipline...probably more so.