PDA

View Full Version : Inside Lambeau

Jimx29
11-27-2011, 12:28 AM
lol.....just watched the "Inside Lambeau" show, and obviously one reporter asked Airn Rodgers about going undefeated, and his reply was the standard "one game at a time", etc.....and then with maybe after 14 or 15 games won, then we'll talk about...............(5 secs of dead air) that thing you were talking about :D

packrulz
11-27-2011, 04:49 AM
It'll be tough:
Sun, Dec 4 at NY Giants 4:15 PM
Sun, Dec 11 Oakland 1:00 PM
Sun, Dec 18 at Kansas City 1:00 PM
Sun, Dec 25 Chicago 8:20 PM
Sun, Jan 1 Detroit 1:00 PM
I do think they should rest the starters some if they clinch homefield throughout the playoffs.

Pugger
11-27-2011, 09:13 AM
This is a tricky call. Do you try to rest players or do you just keep what you are doing to keep them sharp? I suspect MM will not rest anyone and will try to keep everything as 'normal' as possible. If we remember a lot of the players in Indy were none to pleased when they had a shot at an undefeated season but the coaches decided to rest some starters for that last regular season game in which they lost. When they finally played in the post season they were one and done. I wonder if the players were still unhappy and it showed in that playoff game...?

pbmax
11-27-2011, 09:25 AM
They will do what they did versus Detroit in 2007 was it? Rest the injured, even those that might have played in do or die circumstances. Then the other vets will start to leave after the game is decided. Versus Detroit in '07 it was an easy call, as they took an early lead. A close game would be different, especially if undefeated is on the line.

Joemailman
11-27-2011, 09:48 AM
This is a tricky call. Do you try to rest players or do you just keep what you are doing to keep them sharp? I suspect MM will not rest anyone and will try to keep everything as 'normal' as possible. If we remember a lot of the players in Indy were none to pleased when they had a shot at an undefeated season but the coaches decided to rest some starters for that last regular season game in which they lost. When they finally played in the post season they were one and done. I wonder if the players were still unhappy and it showed in that playoff game...?

The Colts were not one and done that year. They went to the Super Bowl and lost to New Orleans. Still, I can't see MM not giving his team a legit chance to win a game. He'll start his guys and try to build a lead early. Might see a little more James Jones/Randall Cobb and a little less Jennings. Things like that. MM will not just hand the Bears a win hand-wrapped for Christmas.

Scott Campbell
11-27-2011, 09:48 AM
A close game would be different, especially if undefeated is on the line.

I think it's an easy call. You get the starters just enough work to keep them sharp, but then it's up to the backups to bring home the perfect season.

Vince never went undefeated, and it hasn't seemed to diminish his stature.

pbmax
11-27-2011, 10:06 AM
The Colts were not one and done that year. They went to the Super Bowl and lost to New Orleans. Still, I can't see MM not giving his team a legit chance to win a game. He'll start his guys and try to build a lead early. Might see a little more James Jones/Randall Cobb and a little less Jennings. Things like that. MM will not just hand the Bears a win hand-wrapped for Christmas.

The Colts took their foot off the gas each year that they locked up the division/homefield. Once there was no more to gain, they pulled in their horns. Some years it was not as obvious as the undefeated season, but it was dissected at the time. Obviously, during their Super Bowl year, it did not seem to affect them negatively.

Pugger
11-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Oh! Then what team am I thinking of?

Joemailman
11-27-2011, 03:36 PM

Perhaps 2007. Colts were 13-2. In the last game they pulled Manning in the 2nd quarter and put in Sorgi. They lost that game and then after a playoff bye, lost to the Chargers.

Packers4Glory
11-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Get your 2nd and 3rd teamers a lot of action down the stretch once HF is locked up. Guys who could get healthy if they had a game or 2 off I'd give it to them. I'm thinking a guy like Mathews could benefit a great deal by being shut down for a week or two. I'd really look at limiting a guy like Raji who has played a ton of snaps the past 2 years.

I think resting guys too much hurts on offense a lot more than a defense. Offenses are all about timing. Defense is about assignments. My offense would get a half of work and maybe 1 or 2 series in the 2nd half if we locked it up w/ 3 or more games to go. But the final game I'd play it straight up on offense because then you have an extra week to recover.

Defensively I'd sit whoever needed the rest in the final game, and w/ the rest they'd all play. Lots of rotating guys in and out.

King Friday
11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Honestly, the only place I sit people is OAK/KC. Those are non conference games, so their meaning is slightly eroded. I want everyone playing 100% with no thoughts of "resting" the last two weeks, because we likely have a first round bye anyway and it isn't good to have 2-3 weeks of not playing with urgency.

channtheman
11-27-2011, 09:54 PM
I play all out exactly like I would in other games. The only change that I might make is the slightly injured players who would play in a playoff game, but otherwise not in a "meaningless" game.

Pugger
11-28-2011, 06:15 AM

Perhaps 2007. Colts were 13-2. In the last game they pulled Manning in the 2nd quarter and put in Sorgi. They lost that game and then after a playoff bye, lost to the Chargers.

Oh yes. But I do recall the year when the Colts did have a chance to go undefeated but the coaches chose to rest players for the playoffs. None of the players publically said anything but you could tell they were disappointed that they didn't have an opportunity for making history.