PDA

View Full Version : Protein Drinks

GrnBay007
11-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Ok, I know there was 1 or 2 threads discussing working out and stuff but there was so much other "stuff" in there I did not look for it.

I would like to know the skinny on Protein Drinks. The benefits....if there bad things that come from using them....anything regarding personal experience....Should a 16 yr. old be using them?

My son is still doing his football weightlifting 4-5x a week and running afterward. A lot of his buddies were using protein drinks during the season so he is asking about using them also. Told him he can't until I look into it.......u guys are my first step. :)

My brother's friend is a personal trainer and is going to start working with him as soon as they can find a place to do agility training.

Oh........and any of you football guys have any tips on drills or stuff to do to make receivers have better hands?

mraynrand
11-30-2011, 09:35 PM
I just made a delicious turkey smoothie.

MJZiggy
11-30-2011, 09:54 PM
I just made a delicious turkey smoothie. I put the turkey in the freezer a few days ago. How long does that shit keep? 007, I know nothing about protein drinks except that I read an article today that said protein after lunch can eliminate the 3:00 sleepiness.

Freak Out
11-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I always used the powdered 100 percent egg protein. I'm sure things have changed since I was training though.

GrnBay007
12-01-2011, 12:22 AM
I always used the powdered 100 percent egg protein. I'm sure things have changed since I was training though.

A year or two ago? :)

Deputy Nutz
12-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Straight Whey protein is fine, there used to be egg protien, that is fine too. I never really bothered with the stuff. I ate between 6000-8000 calories a day while I was in high school, except the one year I cut weight for wrestling and dropped my caloric intake to around 1500-2000 calories during the season. Stopped wrestling.

As a mom you can spend your money on protein powders, or go to the grocery store and buy lean beef, Chicken breasts, turkey, and lean pork. A lot of people like to use the protein shakes because it is supposed to speed recovery, but you have to be careful that you only buy the straight protein shake, stay away from cretin based products, and anything else besides 100% protein.

Your son should get a couple of those squeeze balls, they sell them in different colors for different strengths. or a used tennis ball or raquet ball. He should play pick up basketball to work on catching passes, and dribbling. It will improve the hand eye coordination and soften the hands. It is all about seeing the ball and catching the ball, your eyes will tell the brain where your hands will be, the quicker that process happens the better hands your son will have on the football field. They do make a training aid that is a football attatched to a bungie cord that is attatched to the wall you put your back to the wall and throw the ball foward it will come flying back at you, and you have to catch it. I don't know if you can buy it but our college had a couple of them set up.

mraynrand
12-01-2011, 08:04 AM
.and any of you football guys have any tips on drills or stuff to do to make receivers have better hands?

James Jones has an instruction DVD.

ThunderDan
12-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Oh........and any of you football guys have any tips on drills or stuff to do to make receivers have better hands?

An easy to do at home drill is get a tennis ball and stand 5-10 feet from a wall. Throw the ball against the wall at an angle so it doesn't rebound directly back to you. Catch and repeat. Just like Nutz says it builds hand-eye coordination. Once he gets good at that, change to a racketball or big superball to increase the speed the ball is coming back at you. This drill is also good for infielders.

Obviously, the more times he practices catching the better he will get.

gbgary
12-01-2011, 09:17 AM
I just made a delicious turkey smoothie.

lol

no need for personal trainers anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXMAiLZhOg

GrnBay007
12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
I ate between 6000-8000 calories a day while I was in high school, except the one year I cut weight for wrestling

As a mom you can spend your money on protein powders, or go to the grocery store and buy lean beef, Chicken breasts, turkey, and lean pork. A lot of people like to use the protein shakes because it is supposed to speed recovery, but you have to be careful that you only buy the straight protein shake, stay away from cretin based products, and anything else besides 100% protein.

Dang, that is a lot of calories! I have NO idea how many calories he's getting a day. I guess we should count. He put on 25 lbs between the start of football freshman to soph year. Started at 140 and is now 165. Coach says he wants him between 180-190 by next season. And yeah, I'd prefer he get his protein by eating good foods and that was partially my reason for this thread. I had no idea if there was some great benefit from these protein drinks some of the kids are drinking.

Then we have track starting in Feb. and those coaches tell the boys they should only be eating red meat 2x a week. So Nutz, that is a hell of a lot of chicken, fish and turkey to be eating to reach the number of calories you are talking about! Seems like the 2 sports conflict a bit in eating habits...lol He runs the 400 and got to run in the district meet last year (I think it was mainly for the "experience" of it) but there are a couple varsity spots open for the 400 this year and that is his goal.

And thanks Nutz and Dan for the hands drills. Has never had much interest in basketball, it's always been football, baseball and track.

GrnBay007
12-01-2011, 07:41 PM
James Jones has an instruction DVD.

:)

Iron Mike
12-01-2011, 07:50 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chompions/201112/meet-new-energy-drink-pickle-juice

GrnBay007
12-01-2011, 08:03 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/chompions/201112/meet-new-energy-drink-pickle-juice

lol that's interesting! Anyone who has ever canned pickles knows there is a ton of sodium in them. I wouldn't think using that method would be healthy if used a lot.....next thing they will have high BP.

Deputy Nutz
12-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Dang, that is a lot of calories! I have NO idea how many calories he's getting a day. I guess we should count. He put on 25 lbs between the start of football freshman to soph year. Started at 140 and is now 165. Coach says he wants him between 180-190 by next season. And yeah, I'd prefer he get his protein by eating good foods and that was partially my reason for this thread. I had no idea if there was some great benefit from these protein drinks some of the kids are drinking.

Then we have track starting in Feb. and those coaches tell the boys they should only be eating red meat 2x a week. So Nutz, that is a hell of a lot of chicken, fish and turkey to be eating to reach the number of calories you are talking about! Seems like the 2 sports conflict a bit in eating habits...lol He runs the 400 and got to run in the district meet last year (I think it was mainly for the "experience" of it) but there are a couple varsity spots open for the 400 this year and that is his goal.

And thanks Nutz and Dan for the hands drills. Has never had much interest in basketball, it's always been football, baseball and track.

Kids need to eat lean beef. It has the most amino acids of all the meats. Salmon is another key. Salmon has lots of healthy fats and oils. Don't forget lunch meats, lean turkey and chicken cuts are a great source of protein.

The protein shakes are a supplement. What I have known from them is that you drink one between or after workouts. Your body is only going to process the nutrients it needs.

Also lots of skim milk, or almond milk. I used to drink a lot of milk and then I started to cramp later in life. The lactic acid builds up the older you get, so apparently consuming less dairy helps with muscle fatigue.

Chocalate Milk is supposed to be a great drink after a work out.

red
12-03-2011, 09:14 AM
lets see, 007 started a thread about wanting a protein drink

there's a joke in there somewhere

Harlan Huckleby
12-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I got a protein drink here for ya.

:-P

sooner6600
12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
In the Friday USA Today; big article.

This stuff is not for the very young.

As for Harland; Are you cetified virus free?

Boi butter is also a good facial.

gbgary
12-03-2011, 09:43 AM

In the Friday USA Today; big article.

This stuff is not for the very young.

As for Harland; Are you cetified virus free?

Boi butter is also a good facial.

that does it. [/thread]

red
12-03-2011, 03:35 PM

yup, that's the one

Deputy Nutz
12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Apparently many high ranking athletes are drinking their own urine. Pass it on.

GrnBay007
12-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Buncha Pre-Verts! :)

GrnBay007
12-03-2011, 05:11 PM
So all these calories....does it matter what position you play? or should they be eating that many when they are working out regardless?

Deputy Nutz
12-03-2011, 06:17 PM
It has nothing to do with what position you play, it has to do with how much weight you need to gain. I ate a lot of calories because I needed to gain a lot of muscle mass, I went from 165 pound sophomore to a 225 pound senior. I gained about 30 pounds a year through natural growth, lifting 5 times a day working out multiple times a day. I did this without using any suplements, so it can be done, but I also had genetics on my side.

red
12-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Buncha Pre-Verts! :)

you know you'd love gurgling with our protein drinks

MadtownPacker
12-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I heard Dr. Peter North is a expert on protein shakes. Maybe you can google his name 007.

GrnBay007
12-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I heard Dr. Peter North is a expert on protein shakes. Maybe you can google his name 007.

OK, THAT was helpful!!!! "secret to a massive load" lol

George Cumby
12-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Nutz is spot on.

Protein shakes are a substitute for a real MEAL only if you can't eat FOOD.

6 Meals a day. Good food. Good breakfast, 3- 4 eggs, sausage, milk, toast.

Another option to gain weight: GOMAD (Galllon of Milk A Day). Google that and "Starting Strength"

Little Whiskey
12-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Another option to gain weight: GOMAD (Galllon of Milk A Day). Google that and "Starting Strength"

isn't this a challenge that Daniel Tosh does? see who can chug a gallon of milk and not puke. doesn't sound like weight gain to me, more like losss

SkinBasket
12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
isn't this a challenge that Daniel Tosh does? see who can chug a gallon of milk and not puke. doesn't sound like weight gain to me, more like losss

you probably eat something other than just the gallon of milk. I used to drink about 3/4 gallon a day and ate nothing but pop tarts and muslix cereal for a couple years during high school. Sometimes some mac and cheese for dinner. Look how I turned out.

hoosier
12-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Apparently many high ranking athletes are drinking their own urine. Pass it on.

If that could somehow explain Ryan Braun I would gladly pass it on.

Deputy Nutz
12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
I love milk, but the older you get you should look to substitue it with other calcium rich products. I drank 4 to5 gallons of milk per week up until I was about 30 years old, but then I started getting stomach pains, and my muscles fatigued faster. Soreness also set in a lot faster and was tougher to get rid of.

George Cumby
12-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Nutz, that is a lot of fucking milk. I never drank it in those quantities but still drink a fair bit every day. I'm a hard gainer so any calories/fat/protein I can get helps out. I never felt that it contributed to my DOMS though.

George Cumby
12-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Pickle juice is no joke. The last marathon I ran (it was 20 degrees warmer than what I had been training in), I was cramping from mile 19 to the finish line. Horrendous. The wife hands me the jar of pickles (we had it in the cooler waiting for me), I slam the juice and my cramping was relieved almost instantaneously.

For long days, ain't nothing better to replenish electrolytes.

It actually tastes good when your sodium levels are that depleted, so it's not as gross as it sounds.

hoosier
12-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Pickle juice is no joke. The last marathon I ran (it was 20 degrees warmer than what I had been training in), I was cramping from mile 19 to the finish line. Horrendous. The wife hands me the jar of pickles (we had it in the cooler waiting for me), I slam the juice and my cramping was relieved almost instantaneously.

It actually tastes good when your sodium levels are that depleted, so it's not as gross as it sounds.

Blech! When I get done with long runs my stomach is usually thinking about doing somersaults. I think a pint o' pickle juice would just send it over the edge.

Little Whiskey
12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
you guys drink the the juice, I use the pickles for bloody marys! here is to Marathons!

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Blech! When I get done with long runs my stomach is usually thinking about doing somersaults. I think a pint o' pickle juice would just send it over the edge.

The best thing after a long run is a delicious Bass Ale, cooled to perfection at 54.3 degrees centigrade. (I recommend following up with plenty of water).

George Cumby
12-16-2011, 11:06 AM
The best thing after a long run is a delicious Bass Ale, cooled to perfection at 54.3 degrees centigrade. (I recommend following up with plenty of water).

I like me a little Anchor Steam, myself.

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I like me a little Anchor Steam, myself.

excellent choice

Harlan Huckleby
12-16-2011, 12:22 PM
What's long and hard and contains a protein drink?

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 12:52 PM
What's long and hard and contains a protein drink?

A weightlifters' thermos

ThunderDan
12-16-2011, 12:57 PM

You need to bring salt tablets for long days like that! When I did the Ironman I was taking 800 mg of sodium every two hours.

George Cumby
12-16-2011, 01:48 PM
You need to bring salt tablets for long days like that! When I did the Ironman I was taking 800 mg of sodium every two hours.

THE IronMan? Like in Kona?

hoosier
12-16-2011, 06:58 PM

Do you slow cook your brats in the Bass at that temp???

ThunderDan
12-16-2011, 07:52 PM
THE IronMan? Like in Kona?

No I did the Ironman in Madison.

George Cumby
12-16-2011, 10:01 PM
No I did the Ironman in Madison.

I tip my hat to you. That's no joke. We vacationed on the Big Island this fall and happened to be there for THE IronMan. We stayed in Kapa'au and got to see the bike turnaround. Pretty cool.

I grew up in MadTown, what was the course like?

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Do you slow cook your brats in the Bass at that temp???

LOL - fahrenheit!

hoosier
12-17-2011, 12:45 PM
LOL - fahrenheit!

I guess that makes a bit of a difference.

ThunderDan
12-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I tip my hat to you. That's no joke. We vacationed on the Big Island this fall and happened to be there for THE IronMan. We stayed in Kapa'au and got to see the bike turnaround. Pretty cool.

I grew up in MadTown, what was the course like?

The course is great. The Madison Ironman gets the highest rating of all of the Ironmans from participants.

The swim is in Lake Monona, the bike goes west into the driftless area (if Chicago had won the 2016 Olympics they would have used a majority of the course for the road biking events) and then the marathon is run in downtown Madison finishing a block off of the square.