PDA

View Full Version : Will Indi dethrone Detroit

Guiness
12-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Will Indianapolis match Detroit futility record? I didn't think they'd get this far, and it's not looking too good for them now.

I know 'Any given Sunday' but NE, Balt and Houston are not exactly likely wins for them. With it looking like Johnson has finally rounded into shape, a win at Tennesee is not likely. That leaves them Jax the final week of the season. With Delrio gone, things are unstable there, so that's as good a chance as they're going to get - on the last week of the season, so the pressure is going to be on.

I'm disappointed no one has stepped up to be a leader of that team. Manning must be such a strong presence that there was no guy in the #2 spot ready to take on the role.

MadScientist
12-02-2011, 08:00 AM
They didn't give the QB spot enough priority with Manning there, and they didn't do a good job developing QB's. Has anyone heard of a backup QB from Indy doing anything elsewhere? Compare that to the list of QB's that have been GB backups, even though they weren't high picks.

Still there are other big issues. Even without Manning they shouldn't be 0-16.

KYPack
12-02-2011, 08:01 AM
The 2011 MVP should be Peyton Manning. What NFL player is the biggest difference maker for his team? It's Manning. 10-6 last year, shooting at 0-16 this season without Peyton.

On Dec 13 2009, the Colts won their 22nd consecutive game, setting the NFL record for consecutive wins. There's another NFL team with a chance to tie that record this year. Colt fans are still pissed at Caldwell's decision to not go for the undefeated season in 2009. Indy was the favorite to win the SB that year with a 14-2 record. They were ahead at halftime and were still driving for the winning touchdown when NO came up with the clinching pick. Sean Peyton showed his mettle as a big time coach in that game. The timid Caldwell will probably be fired after this year. It's one of the greatest falls in NFL history. From a potential 16-0 to 0-16 two years later.

I think Indy wins one. The Jacksonville game is their shot for a win and I think they get it done. Indy will "win" the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. GM Bill Polian may surprise everybody and go in a different direction. But it may be a clean sweep and a whole new cast of characters in the Circle City. Caldwell, Manning and a whole bunch of other guys could go in a total purge.

pbmax
12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
I thought they would pull it together to be mediocre, but Painter has really disappointed (at least my expectation of improvement) and the defense is not healthy, nor was it dominant even when at full strength.

Jacksonville will have packed their bags like the Colts and Eagles, could be competitive in a terrible way.

Indy has an out with Manning's contract, it will be interesting to see what they do. Polian has made good calls with first round picks before (Manning over Leaf, James over Williams), he's going to get one more chance.

Pugger
12-02-2011, 08:25 AM
The Colts are showing the world what a stupidly run organization they are. They put all of their eggs in Peyton's basket and basically ignored the rest of the roster. Once Peyton when down so did the rest of the franchise. KY is right, they should clean house as far as management and coaches goes from the top down start over.

Harlan Huckleby
12-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Put Collins in! Collins! Collins!

edit: whups, he is on IR

pbmax
12-02-2011, 09:03 AM
The Colts are showing the world what a stupidly run organization they are. They put all of their eggs in Peyton's basket and basically ignored the rest of the roster. Once Peyton when down so did the rest of the franchise. KY is right, they should clean house as far as management and coaches goes from the top down start over.

Lost season with Peyton on the sideline (which was one possible scenario all offseason long esp. when the lockout prevented checkups). Then draft Luck to replace Manning eventually.

Stupid or just stupid enough to be genius?

Teamcheez1
12-02-2011, 09:09 AM
The other issue with Manning is I believe he is due $20M + as a roster bonus in March. The Colts have no way of knowing his status at that early of a date.

They need to either cut him or renegotiate the contract.

Pugger
12-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Lost season with Peyton on the sideline (which was one possible scenario all offseason long esp. when the lockout prevented checkups). Then draft Luck to replace Manning eventually.

Stupid or just stupid enough to be genius?

Stupid in that they neglected the rest of the roster. If they had more talent they could have won a few games with Painter and not be the worst team in football.

Smidgeon
12-02-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm just surprised at how awful the rest of the team is without Manning. Whoever the GM is needs to be tarred, feathered, and run out on a rail...and then hired by the Bears.

mraynrand
12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Will Indianapolis match Detroit futility record? ... That leaves them Jax the final week of the season. With Delrio gone, things are unstable there, so that's as good a chance as they're going to get - on the last week of the season, so the pressure is going to be on.

The 2008 Detroit Lions will have the Crazy Horse chilling on ice, hoping for that Colts victory!

Guiness
12-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Saw an interesting article that basically said that in order to move forward, Indi has to get rid of Manning. They even referenced Rodger's as a similar case, but pointed out how, as a low first round pick it was not the same situation.

I think there are a couple of holes in the article, like saying that Luck has leverage as the number one pick, and will not sit for 2 years. It also makes a big deal about the amount of cap money the QB position will chew up...but Manning does most of that himself already. Adding Luck on there for one year won't hurt that much. Still, he makes a strong case for why Manning should go.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111202/SPORTS15/312020006/Kravitz-Manning-Luck-tandem-cannot-work-Colts?odyssey=mod|mostview

pbmax
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Saw an interesting article that basically said that in order to move forward, Indi has to get rid of Manning. They even referenced Rodger's as a similar case, but pointed out how, as a low first round pick it was not the same situation.

I think there are a couple of holes in the article, like saying that Luck has leverage as the number one pick, and will not sit for 2 years. It also makes a big deal about the amount of cap money the QB position will chew up...but Manning does most of that himself already. Adding Luck on there for one year won't hurt that much. Still, he makes a strong case for why Manning should go.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111202/SPORTS15/312020006/Kravitz-Manning-Luck-tandem-cannot-work-Colts?odyssey=mod|mostview

Its possible Luck could make a power play, but Indy will get a chance to talk to him and assess. The more difficult task would be to come up with a plan for Manning. If he passes a physical next Spring and does not rearrange his contract (other than perhaps delay the payment date of the bonus) then it might not be cap feasible to have Manning for just 2 or 3 years more.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm just surprised at how awful the rest of the team is without Manning. Whoever the GM is needs to be tarred, feathered, and run out on a rail...and then hired by the Bears.

I wonder how the Packers would be without ARod?

The colts can't be this fucking bad. They have just quit. If I recall they where leading in some game early in the season but gave it up faster than Harlan in a men's room.

MadtownPacker
12-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Oh back to what I was gonna post. I saw a vid with peyton and his baby son (kid looks just like him so the mom is set)and the article with it said more than 50% he don't come back. Looking at him talk it wasn't unimaginable. He has always been smart. Is smart calling it a career and coaching or whatever? This way he don't risk it and enjoys the fat check he got for this season

Joemailman
12-02-2011, 07:56 PM
The 2011 MVP should be Peyton Manning. What NFL player is the biggest difference maker for his team? It's Manning. 10-6 last year, shooting at 0-16 this season without Peyton.

Perhaps what it means is that Manning should have been MVP in 2010.

mission
12-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Perhaps what it means is that Manning should have been MVP in 2010.

Yeah, you also need to PLAY to win an MVP. That 'P' stands for something.

Guiness
12-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Did anyone notice who's starting for Indianapolis??? Dan Orlovsky!

Who is he you ask? Well, last time he started was in 2008...for the Lions, during their 0-16 season!

Upnorth
12-03-2011, 07:22 AM
The only reason that I would kinda like to see Manning with a MVP this year is the fuel it would provide to ARod next year. He uses these things to motivate and this would be a big one.
Polian was supposed to be some great GM, but a great GM does not build a 0-16 roster when one man gets injured. They dont have the easiest schedual but 0-16 is Millen territory.
Finally I think that Detroit has Colt .45 chillin, not some highend Crazy Horse (that or prison swill).

Pugger
12-03-2011, 07:55 AM

:lol:

Pugger
12-03-2011, 07:56 AM
The only reason that I would kinda like to see Manning with a MVP this year is the fuel it would provide to ARod next year. He uses these things to motivate and this would be a big one.
Polian was supposed to be some great GM, but a great GM does not build a 0-16 roster when one man gets injured. They dont have the easiest schedual but 0-16 is Millen territory.
Finally I think that Detroit has Colt .45 chillin, not some highend Crazy Horse (that or prison swill).

I think the MVP should go to someone who actually played. :wink:

Pugger
12-03-2011, 07:59 AM
I wonder how the Packers would be without ARod?

The colts can't be this fucking bad. They have just quit. If I recall they where leading in some game early in the season but gave it up faster than Harlan in a men's room.

We got a hint of that with Flynn last year in NE.

KYPack
12-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Now the "Manning for 11 MVP" stuff is a weak joke on my part. (or was I being sarcastic and didn't even know it?)

I think Polian is a good GM. He built the team around Manning who was super reliable. Even the defense was tailored to Manning getting the ball back and driving it down the field. The D was built around sacks (Freeny & Mathis) and picks (Sanders). It was football's equivalent of the fast break. Without Peyton, the whole deal fell apart like a house of cards.

They need to start over and build the next edition of the Colts in a more balanced fashion. Oh yeah, and get a good back-up QB for Luck. Doug Pederson, where are you?

Upnorth
12-03-2011, 08:14 AM
its one thing to build around one man, its another to have a system in place that collapses with his loss. They are an emotionally whipped team that is better than 0-11 but find them selves there none the less. Where do you put the blame for things like that? Leadership, and in the end Polian writes the checks. Pre polian the colts were good with manning, always in the hunt, with polian the same thing happens. I thin ka large chunk of the blame is caldwell, who is there because of polian.
Polian used to be considered a great gm, but what has he done lately? Further has his acclaim come from one tremendous pick?

pbmax
12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
I do think this year is not a reflection of Polian in general, but they always have had an odd collection of backup QBs. Was Jim Sorgi an NFL capable QB?

Smidgeon
12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Did anyone notice who's starting for Indianapolis??? Dan Orlovsky!

Who is he you ask? Well, last time he started was in 2008...for the Lions, during their 0-16 season!

I kind of feel sorry for Orlovsky. Two 0-16 teams? That's got to crush a guy.