PDA

View Full Version : Can I Get Some Good News

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Negativity abounds. We need a counter. Can someone give me some good news please?

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Bob Kuberski's Time in Green Bay Turned Out to be a Solid Investment

by Nathan Hager, Packers.com
posted 08/15/2006

Bob Kuberski's football career in Green Bay lasted four seasons, but his career in the financial services industry has been going strong ever since.

Kuberski, a 6-foot-4, 295-pound defensive tackle, parlayed smarts and hard work into a five-year career in the NFL, and he has used those same traits to build a successful career for himself working for AIM Investments.

This all began for Kuberski in Green Bay when he initially worked for Associated Investments and then Morgan Stanley. And now, he's been with AIM for five years.

The irony to all of this is that Kuberski, 35, never dreamed of working in this industry as a kid and never went to college to study it. According to him, it's just one of the many things he learned while he was in Green Bay.

"I started looking into the financial services industry after my rookie year and the players union had a career internship program," Kuberski recalled. "And that was actually when I got elected to be a union rep after my rookie year and I was like, 'I might as well take advantage of this while things are going good because who knows what is going to happen.'

"I chose to work at Associated because they had a good group of people in sales and the investment department. They offered me an internship and the first week I was there, they offered me a better deal with my finances. I thought it could be a learning process, but it turned out that I made a career out of it."

Kuberski and his wife Janet live in Boothwyn, Pa., and they have three daughters -- Brooke, 9, Brynne, 7, and Bridget, 1. Besides working in financial services, Kuberski currently works in something else he's always loved: motorcycles. He enjoyed riding cycles when he was in Green Bay and now Kuberski owns a shop called Delaware County Custom Cycle (Delawarecountycustoms.com).

The shop opened in March, but the idea of this business wasn't anything new to Kuberski.

"It's a dream of mine that started about five years ago," Kuberski recalled. "I didn't capitalize on it then, but it came around to getting in the right situation here. In 2005, I met with a guy who has a business. We're going to infuse a little capital into it, and do a better job of marketing it, and moving it to a better location."

The fact that Kuberski is just now getting the motorcycle venture off the ground after pondering it for some time shouldn't come as a surprise to those who know him. After all, patience went a long way for Kuberski in the Navy and in the early stages of his career in Green Bay.

Kuberski was drafted by the Green and Gold in the seventh round of the 1993 NFL Draft. He then took all of his personal leave time to join the team for a month during training camp, but then fulfilled his Naval commitments for two seasons.

This arrangement required patience on the Packers' end of the deal, too. But fortunately for Kuberski, he had someone who believed in his Green Bay future in General Manager Ron Wolf.

"I really got lucky and found a friend in Ron Wolf," Kuberski admitted. "He came there personally to be with me, try me out, and interview me. He was my ace in the hole in terms of drafting me, and allowing me to come back to play after a couple years of active duty."

He seemingly took a less conventional route to Green Bay, but Kuberski has no regrets about attending Navy. It was something he had wanted for some time and when it came time to play football and attend college, he knew he made the right choice.

"I had a chance to play Division I football at Navy and I capitalized on it to the nth degree," Kuberski explained. "When I was a sophomore, I became a starter. I didn't get the experience that I may have otherwise had, had I went to a school like Penn State, but that was part of the reason why I chose not to go to a bigger school.

"Another part was that I was enamored by Annapolis. I was always real respectful of the military. My father was an enlisted guy for a little while, pretty much all the males on my father's side were in the armed services at one point in their life. So I had a respect, interest, and fondness in it. I thought it was a great place to have been a graduate from, and they offered me a job when I graduated, regardless of what happened. My education would probably be the most important thing in my life."

Despite having arthroscopic surgery on his knee in training camp and playing in only one game in the '96 Super Bowl season, Kuberski has several memories of his time in Green Bay.

"When I talk to people about my experience with that team, I don't just talk about that season," Kuberski said. "I talk about the whole group that we had, and being able to make it to two Super Bowls. When I look back, the thing that I really have the fondest memories from is really the cohesion of the team.

"It was a great thing to be on the plane to go home after winning a Super Bowl. The thing you miss besides the money, and playing on Sunday, are the guys. My best memories come from the week before the game when we got to hang out with each other in New Orleans. It was just so much pleasure to hang out with all the different characters we had on the team. And boy, did we have some characters."

Those characters made up quite a team, but Kuberski said they were much more than teammates. They were also very good friends.

"That team was great. We used to go out to eat together on Thursday. Sean Jones actually started it, and when he left we all kept going out to eat chicken wings. Occasionally this guy and occasionally that guy would stop by, but we had a good group of people.

"It wasn't like some teams where you wouldn't see the guys until the next day or the next time you had to be there. We hung out, knew each other's wives, went over to each other's houses for dinner. And that was a good thing because that doesn't happen everywhere, I assure you of that."

His football days in Green Bay have been over for seven years, but Kuberski is still in the financial services game that he initially learned while he was in Wisconsin. And to no surprise, his allegiances haven't changed, either.

"I still root for Green Bay and every time they come to Philadelphia, I go to the game," Kuberski explained. "Even though they don't write my paychecks anymore, I still have a special place in my heart for Green Bay and Wisconsin."

Coming from Kuberski, that sounds like a solid recommendation.

Joemailman
08-15-2006, 10:45 PM
THUMBS UP

Stanley Bing wrote a book, “100 Bull ---- Jobs,” and included those who “delve into the bottomless river of drivel” that is sports commentary. In our little neck of the woods, Bing could point to the current debate over whether the Packers erred in dumping Mark Roman following the season-ending injury to backup safety Marviel Underwood as a perfect example of what he had in mind.

Roman proved during his two-year stay with the Packers that he was a borderline player who was never going to get any better. Plus, sixth-round draft pick Tyrone Culver just keeps impressing.

In Tuesday morning’s practice, he made a subtle, but standout play in his own end zone in a team period. It was a play that Roman probably never could have made. Culver hid behind the outside linebacker, as if he was baiting quarterback Aaron Rodgers into thinking that tight end Donald Lee was open in the back of the end zone, then broke on the ball at the last second, leaped high and batted it down. “I was wide open,” said Lee. “I didn’t even see him. He had some hang time. That was a nice little play.” Culver also intercepted an Ingle Martin pass in the end zone in the same period. It was Culver’s fourth pick in the last seven practices. At night, Culver broke up a deep ball to tight end David Martin and almost intercepted another pass to Bubba Franks.

Culver wasn’t even invited to the NFL combine workout last winter and ran a 4.5 plus 40-yard dash on his pro day. That cost him in the draft. But against Southern Cal last season, Culver caught Reggie Bush from behind on a 65-yard run and it caught the Packers’ eye. Sure enough, based on early returns, Culver appears to play faster than his 40 time. Culver also carried close to a 3.5 grade-point average and played smart. At this point, Culver still has to make the team. But if he does, there’s an upside there that Roman didn’t offer. Keep in mind, too, that the Packers’ two best defenders last season might have been Al Harris and Aaron Kampman and neither one was invited to the combine. :D

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks Joe. Now that Bookman is toast, this will give me a new camp kid to root for. I feel a little better. I can go to bed now.

Deputy Nutz
08-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Negativity abounds. We need a counter. Can someone give me some good news please?

Well Mr. Stanely grew two inches overnight. Totally unexplainable, pretty much an act of god. I mean I am 28 years old, it isn't supposed to grow anymore.

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Just make sure you read ALL the instructions on the package before you use that thing.

gbpackfan
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Guard brings in healthy outlook

Packers hope Moore will add stability to offensive line

By BOB McGINN

bmcginn@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Aug. 15, 2006

Green Bay - As the last man signed to the Green Bay Packers' current roster, guard Michael "Mookie" Moore couldn't be any more anonymous.
If Michael "Mookie" Moore stay healthy, and clearly it would have to be an enormous if, he could make a difference whether the offensive line will function effectively in front of Brett Favre and Ahman Green.

At guard, the Packers are about as unsettled as unsettled can be. They're 1½ years into Ted Thompson's regime as general manager and their top three guards all are rookies, including two who never played the position as collegians.

Daryn Colledge hasn't been able to cut it at left guard and was benched on Monday. Jason Spitz, a more competitive player in camp, has switched sides to replace Colledge. The nominal starter at right guard is Tony Moll; Moore is No. 2 behind Moll.

The Packers' future at guard had better be with those three players. Their present might include Moore, who has the best chance to contribute among the backups if the youngsters falter.

During Moore's first five days with the team his only practice in pads came Thursday night. In just three pass sets in the one-on-one drill, it was pretty clear that Moore once was a player and in time might still be a player. He looked remarkably good for someone who had been out of football for 12 months.

On Monday afternoon, Moore went nose-to-nose with defensive tackle Ryan Pickett in one-on-ones. They had to be separated because Pickett had his fists balled up and was ready to start punching.

Give no quarter, seek no quarter. That's how Moore played for three seasons as a part-time right guard at Alabama, for one year as the starting left tackle at Troy State and during a painful six-year National Football League career in which he has suffered four serious injuries and been released six times.

"Something I have is a different tempo than what they're used to," Moore said Tuesday. "I guess that's why they're trying to start fights with me now. I guess the reputation I got in the league is for being tough and being mean. A lot of people say I'm dirty but it's just going hard."

Before the 2000 draft, two scouts used the word "tough" to describe Moore and a third called him "very physical." His ability to get off the ball quickly and maul as a run-blocker perfectly suited the Washington Redskins, who drafted him in the fourth round.

"All the coaches here have been great," Moore said. "They like me being aggressive. The terminology is a lot different but the blocking scheme is the same. Once I get everything organized, they're going to have that. That's me."

Understandably, the Packers are wary. They know the Redskins, the Denver Broncos and the Atlanta Falcons, for whom Jeff Jagodzinski coached the last two seasons, once counted on Moore and came up empty.

"He's got so far to go now because he just got here," Jagodzinski said. "He's got a little rust we've got to rub off. 'Mook' is more of a power guy but he's real familiar with what we do. He just hasn't played in two years."

In 2004, Moore entered Atlanta's camp as a third-string guard but eventually won the job over Roberto Garza. He had damaged the rotator cuff in his right shoulder during off-season workouts. In the second quarter of the regular-season opener, he tore the muscle completely and underwent season-ending surgery.

Re-signed by the Falcons in March 2005, Moore was one of two candidates to start at left guard but early in camp suffered the exact same injury in the left shoulder. He tried to play through it but there was no way. After another shoulder operation, the Falcons cut him loose.

He spent the last year rehabilitating in Georgiana, Ala., with his wife and two children.

"The doctor actually just released me," said Moore, who signed a two-year minimum contract. "My agent knew 'Jags' and gave him a call."

Moore, a muscular, compact 6 feet 3 inches, weighed 305 pounds last week upon arrival in Green Bay. Now he's down to 298.

At the combine in 2000, Moore proved to be one of the strongest participants with 34 repetitions in the bench press at 225 pounds. He scored the NFL-average of 19 on the Wonderlic intelligence test, ran 40 yards in a slow 5.47 seconds and didn't fare well in athletic tests.

The Redskins gave Moore his first start in the '00 finale. He finished the game despite suffering a knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery.

Denver picked up Moore in December 2001. Tutored by line guru Alex Gibbs, Moore was on the Broncos' roster for 13 games from 2001-'03 but played in only two. What Moore labels his worst injury of all, a high-ankle sprain in August 2002, cost him half that season.

Through it all, Moore kept both his sense of humor and his stinger. One reason why Adrian Klemm and Will Whitticker failed as the Packers' guards in 2005 was their lack of physical play.

"I'm just going to be 'Mookie,' " Moore said. "Everything that goes on with me is between the whistles. I'm going to play as long as God gives me the ability to play. My intention is to help this team. We'll see what it brings."

Bretsky
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Kuberski's Time in Green Bay Turned Out to be a Solid Investment

by Nathan Hager, Packers.com
posted 08/15/2006

Bob Kuberski's football career in Green Bay lasted four seasons, but his career in the financial services industry has been going strong ever since.

Kuberski, a 6-foot-4, 295-pound defensive tackle, parlayed smarts and hard work into a five-year career in the NFL, and he has used those same traits to build a successful career for himself working for AIM Investments.

This all began for Kuberski in Green Bay when he initially worked for Associated Investments and then Morgan Stanley. And now, he's been with AIM for five years.

The irony to all of this is that Kuberski, 35, never dreamed of working in this industry as a kid and never went to college to study it. According to him, it's just one of the many things he learned while he was in Green Bay.

"I started looking into the financial services industry after my rookie year and the players union had a career internship program," Kuberski recalled. "And that was actually when I got elected to be a union rep after my rookie year and I was like, 'I might as well take advantage of this while things are going good because who knows what is going to happen.'

"I chose to work at Associated because they had a good group of people in sales and the investment department. They offered me an internship and the first week I was there, they offered me a better deal with my finances. I thought it could be a learning process, but it turned out that I made a career out of it."

Kuberski and his wife Janet live in Boothwyn, Pa., and they have three daughters -- Brooke, 9, Brynne, 7, and Bridget, 1. Besides working in financial services, Kuberski currently works in something else he's always loved: motorcycles. He enjoyed riding cycles when he was in Green Bay and now Kuberski owns a shop called Delaware County Custom Cycle (Delawarecountycustoms.com).

The shop opened in March, but the idea of this business wasn't anything new to Kuberski.

"It's a dream of mine that started about five years ago," Kuberski recalled. "I didn't capitalize on it then, but it came around to getting in the right situation here. In 2005, I met with a guy who has a business. We're going to infuse a little capital into it, and do a better job of marketing it, and moving it to a better location."

The fact that Kuberski is just now getting the motorcycle venture off the ground after pondering it for some time shouldn't come as a surprise to those who know him. After all, patience went a long way for Kuberski in the Navy and in the early stages of his career in Green Bay.

Kuberski was drafted by the Green and Gold in the seventh round of the 1993 NFL Draft. He then took all of his personal leave time to join the team for a month during training camp, but then fulfilled his Naval commitments for two seasons.

This arrangement required patience on the Packers' end of the deal, too. But fortunately for Kuberski, he had someone who believed in his Green Bay future in General Manager Ron Wolf.

"I really got lucky and found a friend in Ron Wolf," Kuberski admitted. "He came there personally to be with me, try me out, and interview me. He was my ace in the hole in terms of drafting me, and allowing me to come back to play after a couple years of active duty."

He seemingly took a less conventional route to Green Bay, but Kuberski has no regrets about attending Navy. It was something he had wanted for some time and when it came time to play football and attend college, he knew he made the right choice.

"I had a chance to play Division I football at Navy and I capitalized on it to the nth degree," Kuberski explained. "When I was a sophomore, I became a starter. I didn't get the experience that I may have otherwise had, had I went to a school like Penn State, but that was part of the reason why I chose not to go to a bigger school.

"Another part was that I was enamored by Annapolis. I was always real respectful of the military. My father was an enlisted guy for a little while, pretty much all the males on my father's side were in the armed services at one point in their life. So I had a respect, interest, and fondness in it. I thought it was a great place to have been a graduate from, and they offered me a job when I graduated, regardless of what happened. My education would probably be the most important thing in my life."

Despite having arthroscopic surgery on his knee in training camp and playing in only one game in the '96 Super Bowl season, Kuberski has several memories of his time in Green Bay.

"When I talk to people about my experience with that team, I don't just talk about that season," Kuberski said. "I talk about the whole group that we had, and being able to make it to two Super Bowls. When I look back, the thing that I really have the fondest memories from is really the cohesion of the team.

"It was a great thing to be on the plane to go home after winning a Super Bowl. The thing you miss besides the money, and playing on Sunday, are the guys. My best memories come from the week before the game when we got to hang out with each other in New Orleans. It was just so much pleasure to hang out with all the different characters we had on the team. And boy, did we have some characters."

Those characters made up quite a team, but Kuberski said they were much more than teammates. They were also very good friends.

"That team was great. We used to go out to eat together on Thursday. Sean Jones actually started it, and when he left we all kept going out to eat chicken wings. Occasionally this guy and occasionally that guy would stop by, but we had a good group of people.

"It wasn't like some teams where you wouldn't see the guys until the next day or the next time you had to be there. We hung out, knew each other's wives, went over to each other's houses for dinner. And that was a good thing because that doesn't happen everywhere, I assure you of that."

His football days in Green Bay have been over for seven years, but Kuberski is still in the financial services game that he initially learned while he was in Wisconsin. And to no surprise, his allegiances haven't changed, either.

"I still root for Green Bay and every time they come to Philadelphia, I go to the game," Kuberski explained. "Even though they don't write my paychecks anymore, I still have a special place in my heart for Green Bay and Wisconsin."

Coming from Kuberski, that sounds like a solid recommendation.

THIS IS AWESOME

MY WIFE AND I SAT NEXT TO BOB'S WIFE AT A PACKER GAME; HOTTIE. DOWN TO EARTH.

MY WIFE BONDED WITH HER.

SHE SAID BOB WAS CONCERNED HOW LONG HE COULD REMAIN A PRO WITH GILBERT BROWN THE PACK GM CONSTANTLY BRINGING IN NEW BLOOD.

FOUR WEEKS LATER WE WERE AT THE PRIME QUARTER IN GREEN BAY THE SATURDAY NIGHT BEFORE THE GAME.

MY WIFE RECOGNIZED BOB AND HIS WIFE AND WE SAID HI.

WIFE WAS PROUD OF HERSELF BECAUSE SHE RECOGNIZED A PACKER

AND BOB KUBERSKI'S FATHER WAS WALKING ON WATER BECAUSE SOMEBODY RECOGNIZED HIS SON

VERY NICE GUY AND GOOD READ WOODY

GBRulz
08-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Hey now, B...... your wife recognized Brett sitting on a barstool before :wink:

GrnBay007
08-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Hey now, B...... your wife recognized Brett sitting on a barstool before :wink:

ouch! and we all know how THAT turned out! :shock:

:razz:

Zool
08-16-2006, 08:25 AM

Well Mr. Stanely grew two inches overnight. Totally unexplainable, pretty much an act of god. I mean I am 28 years old, it isn't supposed to grow anymore.

One Swedish made enlarger pump. One book "Swedish enlarger pumps are my bag baby" written by Nutz.

Tarlam!
08-16-2006, 08:30 AM
THIS IS AWESOME

[]
MY WIFE BONDED WITH HER. ()

Boy, you lucky Graily S.O.B.

Cheesehead Craig
08-16-2006, 08:34 AM
I saved a bunch of $ on my car insurance.

Iron Mike
08-16-2006, 09:59 AM

Isn't that what www.christian-encourager.com was intended for?? "Good News"?

Iron Mike
08-16-2006, 10:09 AM

Didn't Tank post one time that even though you're an old lady, he'd still do you??? :razz:

]{ilr]3
08-16-2006, 10:11 AM

I just saved a bunch of money by switching to Gieko! Oh, and I stayed at a Holiday in last night :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
08-16-2006, 02:24 PM

Didn't Tank post one time that even though you're an old lady, he'd still do you??? :razz:

and you call that GOOD news???? :shock:

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Brett Favre is still the QB of the Pack.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 02:43 PM
I just heard that WI is actually NOT out of beer, as those crafty Germans (probably guided by Tar) would have us believe.

Oh, and I also heard that this year's crop of cheese curds is supposed to be really good too. Best in years.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Just posted on CNN.com...

'Ruthless drug lord' captured at sea

One of the most wanted drug lords in the world was captured Wednesday aboard a 43-foot boat in the Pacific Ocean off Mexico, federal law enforcement officials said. The DEA has a $5 million reward for the capture of Javier Arellano-Felix. The DEA's Michael Braun said Arellano-Felix is "one of the most ruthless thugs that was involved in drug trafficking around the world."

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 02:48 PM
You're not Bruno Kirby.

tyler

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 02:49 PM
And you're not this guy...

http://www.twincities.com/images/twincities/twincities/15287/233696143889.jpg

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Only 22 days until REAL football.

tyler

K-town
08-16-2006, 03:41 PM
May not be good news, but it's good for a laugh.
Antuan Edwards has found his way onto another NFL roster.
The Washington Redksins just signed him, along with Arnaz Battle (from KC).
Antuan Edwards.
Ahahahahahahaha!

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 04:21 PM
May not be good news, but it's good for a laugh.
Antuan Edwards has found his way onto another NFL roster.
The Washington Redksins just signed him, along with Arnaz Battle (from KC).
Antuan Edwards.
Ahahahahahahaha!

He's hanging in - better than hanging out.

Willard
08-16-2006, 04:27 PM
The Brewers' bullpen didn't blow a game in late innings today!

Tarlam!
08-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I just heard that WI is actually NOT out of beer, as those crafty Germans (probably guided by Tar) would have us believe.

Oh, and I also heard that this year's crop of cheese curds is supposed to be really good too. Best in years.

tyler

Sorry, just doing my duty to kick start the flaming economy over here. If they raise the taxes any further, I won't be able to come see Brett play in his last season...