PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers "only PR of 107/ Ryan grant gane over after this season/ Secondary/ Pass Rush

Tarlam!
12-04-2011, 07:09 PM
The drops, the drops the drops. Rodgers had some poor throws tonight but his receiving core, espeically #88 dropped way too many.

Grant is gone after this season No room left for him on ths team.

TT has invested heavily in Oline the last drafts. Next draft, I expect a DB and/or a pass rusher to replace Wood and compliment Clay.

Lucky win. Delighted they got it. I knew they'd get Elli's best and that came true. Another road win. Excellent. But the team can be beaten. I don't give a flying about undefeated anymoe. I just care abot the Lombardi

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Manning played a great game. He made some amazing passes while getting hit.

Grant is not the same guy. He's lucky to have taken a light load through the season. He's better than Brandon Jackson. If Starks gets a few weeks rest and comes back fresh, I imagine we won't see much of Grant in the playoffs.

gbgary
12-04-2011, 07:19 PM
fin didn't have a good game. three drops? AR had six drops they said. nothing different from the d. i've gotten used to it. 10 points off turnovers though...don't forget about that.

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 07:21 PM
The ball should be going to Nelson, Jennings and Driver more. Finley less. Some guys are performing, other guys are not.

gbgary
12-04-2011, 07:25 PM
The ball should be going to Nelson, Jennings and Driver more. Finley less. Some guys are performing, other guys are not.

it went to fin so much today because of the double-teams on the wrs...they said. if he's open he's got to throw it to him...and he's GOT to catch it.

Tarlam!
12-04-2011, 07:25 PM
The D is a real concern. Sure, they are opportunistic, but the yards they give up. And the big plays! The Giants should never have made that 2 pointer at the end.

channtheman
12-04-2011, 07:26 PM
I would have less of a problem with Finley if he would just shut up and go out and play. BUT, he talks a game and then sucks. Sorry, but Finley cannot do things that only a handful of guys in the NFL can do. There are a lot of better TE's in the NFL.

gbgary
12-04-2011, 07:27 PM
The D is a real concern. Sure, they are opportunistic, but the yards they give up. And the big plays! The Giants should never have made that 2 pointer at the end.

they didn't line up like they thought it was going to be a run. very odd. you'd think they'd thing run first in that situation.

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Come on now. Finley opens up things up for others. What they say is true. And when they don't concentrate on Finley, he's open a lot. I know Driver caught two TDs, but it kind of bugged me that he appeared to take a lot of snaps from Nelson. At this point, Nelson should be in the game most of the time. Split the snaps of Driver, Jones, and Cobb. The injuries are starting to mount again. Sitton, Clifton, Starks, Hawk, Bishop, Collins, and Woodson. Ugh!

ThunderDan
12-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Actually, I am glad they made the 2 pointer at the end. I knew that the Giants would kick deep and our O would get a chance to drive down the field and score at the end.

I would much rather have the O on the field to win than the D on the field to win this year.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM

They spent all game trying to double outside and the Giants pass rush argued against 4 wides. Sometimes, you have to get it to the middle of the field.

gbgary
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I would much rather have the O on the field to win than the D on the field to win this year.

this!

pbmax
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I would have less of a problem with Finley if he would just shut up and go out and play. BUT, he talks a game and then sucks. Sorry, but Finley cannot do things that only a handful of guys in the NFL can do. There are a lot of better TE's in the NFL.

Last troublesome quote was when?

pbmax
They spent all game trying to double outside and the Giants pass rush argued against 4 wides. Sometimes, you have to get it to the middle of the field.

And I say this having called for his benching in the 2nd half after drop 3.

Upnorth
So the giants are not that good, but they brought their A game. Finley needs to catch those, is he worried about the big hit? Nelson is gold and way to go Driver. Everytime I start feeling good about the D I regret it, but 10 pts is still great.

mmmdk
12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Actually, I am glad they made the 2 pointer at the end. I knew that the Giants would kick deep and our O would get a chance to drive down the field and score at the end.

I agree & what a weird turnaround the D has taken! It can't be all on losing Collins to injury & Jenkins to the Iggles.

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Come on now. Finley opens up things up for others. What they say is true. And when they don't concentrate on Finley, he's open a lot. I know Driver caught two TDs, but it kind of bugged me that he appeared to take a lot of snaps from Nelson. At this point, Nelson should be in the game most of the time. Split the snaps of Driver, Jones, and Cobb. The injuries are starting to mount again. Sitton, Clifton, Starks, Hawk, Bishop, Collins, and Woodson. Ugh!

Agree. Nelson should never come off the field. He's our best blocking WR and the way he's playing, you could make a case for him being our best receiver this year. The catches he makes are amazing and he looks like the fastest WR on our team.

Other than Collins, all of those injuries look minor. I don't feel a lot of worry just yet. Once we start seeing injuries that will last longer than 3 or 4 weeks, then my concern will grow.

channtheman
12-04-2011, 08:15 PM

We need to find a way for Finley to only serve as a decoy, because his play on the field when the ball is thrown his way is embarrassing.

ThunderDan
12-04-2011, 08:23 PM
We need to find a way for Finley to only serve as a decoy, because his play on the field when the ball is thrown his way is embarrassing.

I know he dropped 3 balls during the game but he still had 6 catches for 87 yards and a TD.

Yes he can improve but none of our other TEs can come close to what he provides.

PA Pack Fan
12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
. The injuries are starting to mount again. Sitton, Clifton, Starks, Hawk, Bishop, Collins, and Woodson. Ugh!
You forgot Quarless

ThunderDan
12-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Actually, Finley could be having a James Jones contract year. We should be able to get him for less than if he had had 9 catches for 112 and 1 TD.

King Friday
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
TT has invested heavily in Oline the last drafts. Next draft, I expect a DB and/or a pass rusher to replace Wood and compliment Clay.

Even with all the investment, that OL still looks iffy. Clifton is done after this year. Is Newhouse a capable LT? You need someone to protect the franchise's blindside.

The TOP PRIORITY is protecting Rodgers, especially with Flynn gone next year. If you do that, you will win 12 games a year with a bunch of stiffs on defense. Sure we need defensive help...but a sieve at LT isn't going to work, and that's about where we are at currently.

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
My biggest concern right now is our two safeties and our DL. There are a few reasons for hope and a few reasons for serious concern.

Concern:
They aren't getting enough pressure with their DL and the secondary is getting eaten alive. We could lose any game on any week against a top QB right now.

Woodson is finally looking like he's unable to play quality CB. If we lose TW or Shields, we could have serious, serious trouble with Bush on the field..

Neal doesn't look very good right now

Hope:
If you look at the length of TC and the preseason, Neal is in like Game 1 or 2 of the preseason. He could shake off some rust and play better a month from now.

Burnett is young and is wearing a cast. Him and Peprah have a chance to get their assignments tighter.

Green and Neal are starting to eat snaps from Pickett and Raji. Even though we don't have a lot of good DL, if the ones we do have are 100% in the playoffs, it could be enough.

Matthews seems better and better each week. Walden looked really good today too.

We look like front runners. If everything goes well we could be friggin dominant. If a corner gets injured, it could be the kiss of death unless we luck out and get poor passing teams along the way.

It's looking good, but it's the NFL. Anything could happen. We're not flawless, not by any stretch.

King Friday
12-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Come on now. Finley opens up things up for others

I dunno. Some teams concentrate on Finley in the middle (Vikings come to mind) while other teams seem to try to take away the big plays on the edge (Bears and Giants come to mind). Nelson and Jennings open up just as much for Finley as visa-versa.

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I dunno. Some teams concentrate on Finley in the middle (Vikings come to mind) while other teams seem to try to take away the big plays on the edge (Bears and Giants come to mind). Nelson and Jennings open up just as much for Finley as visa-versa.

Nelson not so much. (And I like him a lot.) He gets single covered most of the time. Jennings opens up things for Finley and vice versa. That's the point. If they want to take Finley out of the game, things open up for Jennings. If they want to take Jennings out of the game, Finley is left to run roughshod over opposing LBs and safeties.

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Even with all the investment, that OL still looks iffy. Clifton is done after this year. Is Newhouse a capable LT? You need someone to protect the franchise's blindside.

The TOP PRIORITY is protecting Rodgers, especially with Flynn gone next year. If you do that, you will win 12 games a year with a bunch of stiffs on defense. Sure we need defensive help...but a sieve at LT isn't going to work, and that's about where we are at currently.

Partially agree. If Newhouse is your guy, he's bound to get better with a full offseason working on LT fundamentals. He's 23 years old. Worst case, it looks like we have a slightly improved Newhouse next year. Sherrod is no sure thing. I'm not overly concerned, but our LT situation could look better long term. Short term, right now, that's the biggest concern for me. We're not a "next year" team at the moment. Winning XLVI comes before everything else right now for me.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Sherrod is there for that. He just had not offseason and then had to learn guard as well.

Brandon494
12-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Nelson not so much. (And I like him a lot.) He gets single covered most of the time. Jennings opens up things for Finley and vice versa. That's the point. If they want to take Finley out of the game, things open up for Jennings. If they want to take Jennings out of the game, Finley is left to run roughshod over opposing LBs and safeties.

THANK YOU!

Dude was getting covered by Will Blackmon for god sakes, hes good and all but some are going over board with his play this season.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Agree on safeties, Burnett had a terrible, Sharper-esque attack for a tackle on the first touchdown.

But Peprah is the weak link. He bit hard on a play fake and allowed a pass completion that should never be made by an outside WR against Cover 2. No speed to compensate for mistakes.

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 08:48 PM

Nelson and AR are dialed in. The catches he makes, the route adjustments. . . . . He reminds me a little of Gronkowski in New England. Not that they play the same game, but that they are darn talented, have great hands and are dialed in with their QB's. Nelson could be a shockingly productive WR, even more-so than Finley every year for a long time.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 08:49 PM

You can only invite the defense to single cover. Otherwise, its their choice. They played zone and when they didn't they rolled coverage to Jennings and occasionally down to Finley.

HowardRoark
12-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Sherrod is there for that. He just had not offseason and then had to learn guard as well.

Any word on how he is progressing this season?

King Friday
12-04-2011, 09:00 PM
THANK YOU!

Dude was getting covered by Will Blackmon for god sakes, hes good and all but some are going over board with his play this season.

So you are going to say that after his ridiculous sideline catch this week?

Really?

Just because he's white, you don't have to hate.

King Friday
12-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Toward the bottom of the depth chart?

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Agree on safeties, Burnett had a terrible, Sharper-esque attack for a tackle on the first touchdown.

But Peprah is the weak link. He bit hard on a play fake and allowed a pass completion that should never be made by an outside WR against Cover 2. No speed to compensate for mistakes.

Peprah was a nice fit with Collins. Collins was so rangy and assignment sure on the back end, Peprah played closer to the line and had a smaller area to cover. With Woodson playing that joker position, there wasn't a lot of grey area in Peprah's assignments and he didn't need a ton of range either.

Neither Peprah or Burnett can do what Collins did. I don't know if Burnett is too slow or doesn't get the right jumps, but when Collins was back there, Peprah was kickin butt. It's more that the drop from Collins to Burnett is colossal. Which of those two is responsible for more of the disaster, I don't know, but neither of them, collectively or individually have been able to come even remotely close to filling Collins shoes. Tramon has been left alone on islands so many times this year. Last year, Collins found a way to get there and help over the top. This year, it's not happening.

It's hard to blame all or most of it on Peprah when he was so effective last year.

Harlan Huckleby
12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
The LT position is in a mess. I guess they just stick with Newhouse, but you have to wonder if grooming Sherrod at LT might have worked out better. Newhouse was such a disaster today.

mraynrand
12-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Lucky win.

What was lucky about it?

channtheman
12-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Hate the white receiver that catches almost everything his way, love the black TE that drops about half of the passes thrown his way.

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Hate the white receiver that catches almost everything his way, love the black TE that drops about half of the passes thrown his way.

Stupid. The white wide receiver had the drops bad last year and the black TE caught 80% of his targeted passes. Finley is going through the drops right now, but he doesn't have bad hands. It's happened to Jennings, Driver, and Nelson at various times in their careers. Jones is about the only one who has had consistent problems with it.

channtheman
12-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Stupid. The white wide receiver had the drops bad last year and the black TE caught 80% of his targeted passes. Finley is going through the drops right now, but he doesn't have bad hands. It's happened to Jennings, Driver, and Nelson at various times in their careers. Jones is about the only one who has had consistent problems with it.

It's only racist if you hate the black guy!

Brandon494
12-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Of course some have to turn it into race...smh

Brandon494
12-04-2011, 09:23 PM

At least some fans on this board are not blinded by the white

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2011, 09:25 PM
THANK YOU!

Weren't you the guy that was way late on acknowledging Nelson is better than Jones? He has been for awhile.

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Nelson is catching more routine passes and more difficult passes than Finley right now. Color aside, Nelson is just playing better football. It's like having that third pass rusher. If you have two, you can double one and chip the other. Once you get three, now you're looking at giving one of them one on one coverage. Nelson is proving to be that 3rd guy who can consistently beat the one on one.

He's not a superstar, but neither is Finley. Finley is better, sure, but Nelson is underrated. Since Finley has started to get the extra attention, he hasn't found a way to rise to that next level. The great ones find a way to be great even with the extra attention. Time will tell if JF is that kind of player. So far, he's shown he's not.

Brandon494
12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
What was lucky about it?

Nothing was lucky about it, we won a hard fought game on the road. Think some fans are just becoming a little spoiled by this amazing team we have. :)

Brandon494
12-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Weren't you the guy that was way late on acknowledging Nelson is better than Jones? He has been for awhile.

Last season I said I didn't know was better between the two but its clear that Nelson has taken his game to another level this year. I just have to laugh though when I start seeing his name mentioned as a #1 receiver or best receiver on the team when he is constantly getting single covered by guys like Will Blackmon.

yooperfan
12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Nothing was lucky about it

Whats the quote...... The harder I work, the luckier I get....

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Nothing was lucky about it, we won a hard fought game on the road. Think some fans are just becoming a little spoiled by this amazing team we have. :)

Agree. Eli is a way underrated player. He played out of his mind today, as good as a statue QB can play. He made every pass, the tough ones, the ones where he got crushed. . . . . He managed the game beautifully, none of those idiot mistakes you see some QB's make. . . . The time thing after the big play. . . that goes on the QB, but outside of that, the guy was damn near flawless. One thing I think goes unnoticed with QB's sometimes. . . . the great ones manage the game beautifully. Favre, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, and even this Manning. . . . There are little idiot mistakes most QB's make. Maybe Eli isn't in that elite group, but he's really close and he manages the game at an elite level IMO. I never see him stumble up his team. There is something to that, the steadiness of the QB. . . . It matters a lot. Eli has "it" and always has IMO.

Pierre-Paul is a nightmare matchup for us too. Newhouse is a below average LT and he was up against maybe the most physically gifted pass rusher in the game today. They're also one of the teams that play really good zone defense behind big time pass rushers up front. We can have trouble with that, especially when JF has the dropsies.

That was a tough matchup both offensively and defensively. Big win. It shows we're beatable, but we earned that win and it was a big road win against a tough matchup.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 09:40 PM

Only that he made no headway in a possible start at LG for Sitton. Not sure how many reps he got, if any.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Peprah was a nice fit with Collins. Collins was so rangy and assignment sure on the back end, Peprah played closer to the line and had a smaller area to cover. With Woodson playing that joker position, there wasn't a lot of grey area in Peprah's assignments and he didn't need a ton of range either.

Neither Peprah or Burnett can do what Collins did. I don't know if Burnett is too slow or doesn't get the right jumps, but when Collins was back there, Peprah was kickin butt. It's more that the drop from Collins to Burnett is colossal. Which of those two is responsible for more of the disaster, I don't know, but neither of them, collectively or individually have been able to come even remotely close to filling Collins shoes. Tramon has been left alone on islands so many times this year. Last year, Collins found a way to get there and help over the top. This year, it's not happening.

It's hard to blame all or most of it on Peprah when he was so effective last year.

Peprah had his share of errors and was just as limited. That is why no one blinked an eye when Burnett was with the starters from Day 1 of camp. Pass rush covered him for a portion of his time starting.

But its clear that if left to cover, he is limited and Burnett is not Collins yet.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 09:50 PM

Did we figure that out before the playoffs last year? :)

Pugger
12-04-2011, 09:53 PM
fin didn't have a good game. three drops? AR had six drops they said. nothing different from the d. i've gotten used to it. 10 points off turnovers though...don't forget about that.

Finley had some drops but he also got mugged 5 yards beyond the LOS and not a flag to be seen 3 out of the 4 that I saw...

pbmax
12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Nelson is just playing better football.

This, we can all agree on.

Since Finley has started to get the extra attention, he hasn't found a way to rise to that next level. The great ones find a way to be great even with the extra attention. Time will tell if JF is that kind of player. So far, he's shown he's not.

Finley has done this in the past. But he is not doing it now. Not because he cannot "rise to the occasion", but because he is getting the occasional odd angled throw from Rodgers and then because he is fighting the easy ones. That one in the middle of the field in the second half, when he had split the LB and safety but the throw was lower than it could be. I think the pressure was affecting Rodgers today more than usual. Like other physical errors, each is affecting his head and confidence. He solves one, and the rest will disappear.

Pugger
12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I agree & what a weird turnaround the D has taken! It can't be all on losing Collins to injury & Jenkins to the Iggles.

It didn't help to have Hawk and Bishop in street clothes. Then we lost Woody. :-(

Pugger
12-04-2011, 09:58 PM

The TOP PRIORITY is protecting Rodgers, especially with Flynn gone next year. If you do that, you will win 12 games a year with a bunch of stiffs on defense. Sure we need defensive help...but a sieve at LT isn't going to work, and that's about where we are at currently.'

I'm hoping with a full offseason of OTAs and mini-camps Sherrod can get in there next season. Will Cliffy be back at all this season? I don't feel all that comfortable with Newhouse protecting Rodgers' backside right now.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Agree. Eli is a way underrated player. He played out of his mind today, as good as a statue QB can play. He made every pass, the tough ones, the ones where he got crushed. . . . . He managed the game beautifully, none of those idiot mistakes you see some QB's make. . . . The time thing after the big play. . . that goes on the QB, but outside of that, the guy was damn near flawless. One thing I think goes unnoticed with QB's sometimes. . . . the great ones manage the game beautifully. Favre, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, and even this Manning. . . . There are little idiot mistakes most QB's make. Maybe Eli isn't in that elite group, but he's really close and he manages the game at an elite level IMO. I never see him stumble up his team. There is something to that, the steadiness of the QB. . . . It matters a lot. Eli has "it" and always has IMO.

Justin, Eli was 23 of 40 (57.5%) and most of those incompletes were one hoppers to receivers on short routes or overthrows. Flawless is not the word to describe his performance. He was very good on the deep stuff and long crossing routes and terrible elsewhere. If Eli did not have a running game, teams would play deep and there is a chance Eli scatter arms himself to the Chiefs.

mraynrand
12-04-2011, 10:03 PM

I think people expect too much. This is an extremely well run team, this Packers squad. Are there any complete teams in the NFL? The answer is no, there are not. But the Packers play well and in a league where the passing game has been promoted by intent and by rules to match, the Packers are the best at the craft. Finley is probably the 3rd or fourth best TE in the game, Jennings is a top 10 WR; Nelson easily in the top 32. Driver, Cobb, and Jones are very good complimentary players. And pushing the buttons is a QB as ruthlessly self-disciplined to make the correct, accurate, and safe throw as I've ever seen in the NFL. Running the show is the most underrated offensive mind in today's NFL. Any given Sunday works in the NFL, and teams get motivated for big games and big challenges. THe Packers, in an off week, with a number of starters out, took the best shot of a talented team on the road, and defeated them. The Giants can beat any team any Sunday. But they didn't beat the Packers today, because the Packers are a better team.

gbgary
12-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Finley had some drops but he also got mugged 5 yards beyond the LOS and not a flag to be seen 3 out of the 4 that I saw...

no question about it!

Pugger
12-04-2011, 10:06 PM
I think people expect too much. This is an extremely well run team, this Packers squad. Are there any complete teams in the NFL? The answer is no, there are not. But the Packers play well and in a league where the passing game has been promoted by intent and by rules to match, the Packers are the best at the craft. Finley is probably the 3rd or fourth best TE in the game, Jennings is a top 10 WR; Nelson easily in the top 32. Driver, Cobb, and Jones are very good complimentary players. And pushing the buttons is a QB as ruthlessly self-disciplined to make the correct, accurate, and safe throw as I've ever seen in the NFL. Running the show is the most underrated offensive mind in today's NFL. Any given Sunday works in the NFL, and teams get motivated for big games and big challenges. THe Packers, in an off week, with a number of starters out, took the best shot of a talented team on the road, and defeated them. The Giants can beat any team any Sunday. But they didn't beat the Packers today, because the Packers are a better team.

^^^^^

gbgary
12-04-2011, 10:07 PM

this!

pbmax
12-04-2011, 11:08 PM

He was inactive until the Bronco game which would have coincided with Bulaga's injury. So early, he was the eighth guy (Newhouse/EDS were 6/7 and active). He has been active since due also to Clifton.

But other than that, not much word on his development.

pbmax
12-04-2011, 11:16 PM
BobMcGinn Bob McGinn
Despite playing less than half time, Jordy Nelson of #Packers has 69 catches for 1,162 yds. and 11 TDs in last 15 games, counting playoffs.
40 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Upnorth
12-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Burnett played fairly well this game, it was Peprah who shat the bed (from my perspective). With the way Finley is dropping easy catches for a few weeks now I really am worrying about his concentration when catching in the middle. He seems to loose it just as the ball gets to him, however when he breaks to outside he catches just fine. Did he get laid out bad a few weeks ago and now is worried?

denverYooper
12-04-2011, 11:22 PM
BobMcGinn Bob McGinn
Despite playing less than half time, Jordy Nelson of #Packers has 69 catches for 1,162 yds. and 11 TDs in last 15 games, counting playoffs.
40 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Obviously they don't want to play him all of the time because he would be much too awesome. I'm guessing the competition committee placed some kind of governor on his usage.

denverYooper
12-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Burnett played fairly well this game, it was Peprah who shat the bed (from my perspective). With the way Finley is dropping easy catches for a few weeks now I really am worrying about his concentration when catching in the middle. He seems to loose it just as the ball gets to him, however when he breaks to outside he catches just fine. Did he get laid out bad a few weeks ago and now is worried?

Burnett had a couple of good plays but there were times when both Safeties seemed lost.

Freak Out
12-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Why was Cobb put on a leash this game? Has he botched that many kRs/PRs this season?

Joemailman
12-04-2011, 11:27 PM
He was inactive until the Bronco game which would have coincided with Bulaga's injury. So early, he was the eighth guy (Newhouse/EDS were 6/7 and active). He has been active since due also to Clifton.

But other than that, not much word on his development.

Sherrod played extensively at RT in Atlanta when Clifton got hurt, and Newhouse had to move from RT to LT. If Clifton is not back next year, I'd be surprised if Sherrod doesn't beat out Newhouse next year at LT. Or they'll put him at RT and move Bulaga to LT.

pbmax
12-05-2011, 01:07 AM

He took a couple of shots this year. But he also dropped a out too, I think. It just seems like the mind meld that Rodgers has with Jennings and Nelson is about a foot off with Finley. Two of his balls were tough gets. Add in actual drops and its an issue.

Harlan Huckleby
12-05-2011, 03:38 AM
Finley just doesn't catch the ball in his hands all the time, he sloppily lets ball get into his body. Finley is not terrible with the drops, but they have been there his whole career, and I doubt he will get better. Great hands and concentration seems to be an instinct and gift. I think Finley will be a very good, but never great TE because he has average hands.

sheepshead
12-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Finley just doesn't catch the ball in his hands all the time, he sloppily lets ball get into his body. Finley is not terrible with the drops, but they have been there his whole career, and I doubt he will get better. Great hands and concentration seems to be an instinct and gift. I think Finley will be a very good, but never great TE because he has average hands.

I wonder how much of that can be coached. The guy is an awesome weapon. I was also thinking we should be seeing more YAC with this guy.

smuggler
12-05-2011, 06:57 AM
I think most of Finley's problem has to do with body position after breaks, not hands as much. That should get better at least a little.

Deputy Nutz
12-05-2011, 08:08 AM
I think you are all being a little hard on Finley because he made life a bit difficult for the "Prince" today. Finley had a couple of bad plays, but he makes up for them with great catches, and got the job done in crunch time last night. He is the Packers most versatile weapon and because you all don't like his personality you crap all over him for having 3 drops. I would understand if he had the drops all season long, but it is one game. 30 other teams in the NFL would love to have Finley in their colors and you all can't wait to kick him out of town because he is cocky, and once in a game he dropped three passes. Packer fan at their best.

Another thing lets jump on the defense and worry about how many points they gave up! But yet fail to take into account how the injuries to this defense impacted the score of this game. You can't lose Hawk, Bishop, and then lose Woodson for a quarter in a half and expect this defense to defend. You entered the game with your two best run stuffing linebackers in street clothes, you lose your ballhawk in the secondary and this team has one playmaker left on defense in Clay Mathews who in the second half had three guys blocking him on passing downs. You want to take issue with the defense, then the questions you should be asking is who did Thompson go after in the off-season to improve the pass rush opposite of Clay Mathews? Teams are going to give up yards passing in this league, in bunches if you can't consistently get to the QB, and the Packers have one option at doing that in Clay Mathews.

I think the Packers win out for the regular season, and then the true test will begin when they will have to play the Saints in the playoffs and actually play a decent team from the AFC in the Super Bowl. The Packers have a long road to the Super Bowl regardless of their record. I couldn't honestly put money on the Packers if they would play the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

pbmax
12-05-2011, 08:32 AM

Yep, he let one ball slide right through both arms and elbows, hit his body and bounce off. Odd for someone with good hands.

pbmax
12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
I think you are all being a little hard on Finley because he made life a bit difficult for the "Prince" today.

I am not sure Prince Amukamara covered Finley much yesterday.

Brandon494
12-05-2011, 08:49 AM
I honestly think Finley is thinking too much about his contract extension and trying too hard instead of just going out and playing the game. This guy was catching two balls at once during training camp and has never had problems with catching in the past.

mraynrand
12-05-2011, 09:06 AM
I think you are all being a little hard on Finley because he made life a bit difficult for the "Prince" today.

:bs:

mraynrand
12-05-2011, 09:07 AM
I am not sure Prince Amukamara covered Finley much yesterday.

Nice one!

Deputy Nutz
12-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Amazing how defenses you are of Rodgers. You must be in love

Patler
12-05-2011, 10:16 AM
I honestly think Finley is thinking too much about his contract extension and trying too hard instead of just going out and playing the game. This guy was catching two balls at once during training camp and has never had problems with catching in the past.

Have you forgotten his rookie year? He had drops in big situations.
First, according to him, it was Rodgers fault on one of them.
Then it was the famous, "I don't do back shoulder..." quote.

as for camp this year, maybe he did a trick or two, but drops have plagued him since camp started:

Jermichael Finley admits that he's had a continuous case of the drops in Packers camp.
"I've missed more passes this training camp than I ever have," he said. "All it is is just knocking off the dust. It's lack of focus too, relaxing on some passes. I just need to zone in and get back right."

Brandon494
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
You really calling him out for drops he had in his rookie year? Lmao

Also your quote pretty much proved my point that he is thinking about it too much this year.

Zool
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM

Also your quote pretty much proved my point that he is thinking about it too much this year.

He does have a lot of really obvious, bad drops. I think that's why people point to his lack of concentration. I hadn't noticed them being more in the middle of the field as Upnorth pointed it out but I really haven't paid attention. If he got those drops under control he'd be unstoppable.

mraynrand
12-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Amazing how defenses you are of Rodgers. You must be in love

Amazing how you can't write about the guy without being a troll.

Patler
12-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Actually, it is I who is LMAO because of your inaccurate statement that Finley:

.... has never had problems with catching in the past.
So, no, I was not calling Finley out for drops in his rookie year; however I was pointing out your blindness to what is not just a simple problem for him. I mentioned his rookie year because those were well-publicized events that Packer fans remember. However, in fact, drops were a problem his first year, early in his second season and now ever since the start of camp in his fourth season. Drops have been a problem for him except for the latter part of 2009 and the few games he played in 2010.

I honestly think Finley is thinking too much about his contract extension and trying too hard instead of just going out and playing the game.

Actually it doesn't prove anything except that Finley is willing to voice excuses.

We would all like Finley to be an all-world TE, but he isn't playing like one right now. He was at the start of last season, but not right now. I was actually surprised and disappointed at how easily he let the Giants physical play disrupt his focus and knock him off his routes. He did not fight through their tight play in the first 5 (sometimes 6 or 7) yards as well as I thought he could. Yesterday was the first time we saw a lot of camera isolation on him, and it was clear that being physical can take him out of his routes.

Brandon494
12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Ok Finley hater

Brandon494
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
-"Aaron Rodgers has never had a problem with accuracy in the past."

-"Not true he actually struggled his rookie season completing 56% of his passes."

Zool
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Ok Finley hater

You can give up on an argument without sounding like you're 13.

Brandon494
12-05-2011, 11:26 AM
You can give up on an argument without sounding like you're 13.

Sorry I'm at work and on my iPhone but thanks for giving your 2 cents douche. Was that response 13 enough for you? :)

Patler
12-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Ok Finley hater

I'm not sure why that is your stock answer to anyone who voices a criticism of him. Do you think he is perfect? Do you think he is maximizing his potential? Should I just call you a "Finley lover" and leave it at that?

I just want Finley to be as good as he can be and should be, because that is what he is being paid to do and it will make the Packers better. I want him to use his God-given talents to the utmost, like Tramon Williams has, Jordy Nelson has, Nick Collins has, Aaron Rodgers has, Greg Jennings has, etc. I don't expect him to be perfect anymore than the others are, but I expect more consistency from him as a 4th year player.

I don't get emotionally caught up in any players. Don't hate them or love them. Don't care who beats out who, or who replaces who. Don't care if they stay or go individually, only for how it all affects the team.

Patler
12-05-2011, 11:34 AM
-"Aaron Rodgers has never had a problem with accuracy in the past."

-"Not true he actually struggled his rookie season completing 56% of his passes."

Who are you quoting?

And how did Rodgers do in his later years? Did he have a season of regression? Enlighten me, please. Your argument, comment, point is not clear to me.

Deputy Nutz
12-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Amazing how you can't write about the guy without being a troll.

Please. I have said many good things about Aaron Rodgers. I am busting Packerfans' balls. The "Protected One" is playing lights out. He just might have the best statistical season of any qb.

I am tired I can't believe that I wrote so poorly.

pbmax
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
OK, we need some numbers. Because while I recall Finley not getting that ball that he then called out Rodgers on, I do not remember a lot of other rookie drops. Memory could be failing me.

And he has been notable for his lack of drops in this receiving corp to the point that it was remarkable in camp (as in Patler's quote) that he was struggling. I remember that development as new, not something that came back to haunt him.

mraynrand
12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
I am busting Packerfans' balls.

I guess that's your calling. :lol: Thus the namesake...

mraynrand
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
OK, we need some numbers. Because while I recall Finley not getting that ball that he then called out Rodgers on, I do not remember a lot of other rookie drops. Memory could be failing me.

And he has been notable for his lack of drops in this receiving corp to the point that it was remarkable in camp (as in Patler's quote) that he was struggling. I remember that development as new, not something that came back to haunt him.

I think it is the ghost of Ben Steele that is haunting him.

Smidgeon
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Well posted.

Smidgeon
12-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Someone else said it too, but I noticed on one that he dropped he tried to catch it with his body. Finley is a hands catcher. Maybe he's in a slump, but last year and the year before his hands were like velcro.

Smidgeon
12-05-2011, 12:45 PM

I remember someone somewhere somewhen (Patler? Waldo?) pointing out that what Finley brings to the table is exceptional mid-air body control and hands that can catch anything. He's having an off year when it comes to the drops, but I also remember the drops being new and not being him just as an "average" pass catcher.

Zool
12-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Sorry I'm at work and on my iPhone but thanks for giving your 2 cents douche. Was that response 13 enough for you? :)

I'd go 16 with that one.

HowardRoark
12-05-2011, 01:22 PM
I am busting Packerfans' balls.

Speaking of broken balls....has he joined Tex?

HarveyWallbangers
12-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Bottom line is that the passing game is one of the best in history because of Rodgers AND Jennings AND Finley AND Nelson AND to a lesser extent Driver, Jones, and Cobb. I'd resign Finley in a heartbeat if it's around what some of the top TEs are making now. Say around $8M/year. I think he's every bit as important as guys like Sitton, Hawk, and others on the team making that type of money. For some reason this team has been immune to just about every injury that has occured the last two years (except for Rodgers and Matthews). At least, in the win column they have been. Just because we've won without Finley, without Collins, without Woodson, without Hawk, without Bishop, etc. doesn't mean those guys aren't important to the team. Finley is an important piece. Dude makes defensive coordinators stay up late worrying about how to match up with him. He had two drops--yet still managed to affect the game in a positive way. Much the same way that Jordy had three drops in last year's Super Bowl, but managed to affect the game in a positive way.

Upnorth
12-05-2011, 02:50 PM
I think we are much better with finley as well, but he is not unique. I want to resign him, but I also want his catch rate to improve. 64 is a poor catch rate, and the bread basket drops need to end. He fixes those and gets to 70 75% he is elite.

pbmax
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Bottom line is that the passing game is one of the best in history because of Rodgers AND Jennings AND Finley AND Nelson AND to a lesser extent Driver, Jones, and Cobb. I'd resign Finley in a heartbeat if it's around what some of the top TEs are making now. Say around $8M/year. I think he's every bit as important as guys like Sitton, Hawk, and others on the team making that type of money. For some reason this team has been immune to just about every injury that has occured the last two years (except for Rodgers and Matthews). At least, in the win column they have been. Just because we've won without Finley, without Collins, without Woodson, without Hawk, without Bishop, etc. doesn't mean those guys aren't important to the team. Finley is an important piece. Dude makes defensive coordinators stay up late worrying about how to match up with him. He had two drops--yet still managed to affect the game in a positive way. Much the same way that Jordy had three drops in last year's Super Bowl, but managed to affect the game in a positive way.

The Buckeye fan and I agree on this. I would love to get him a tad under top 5 TE price, but would be OK at that number. If not, franchise that guy.

HarveyWallbangers
12-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I think we are much better with finley as well, but he is not unique. I want to resign him, but I also want his catch rate to improve. 64 is a poor catch rate, and the bread basket drops need to end. He fixes those and gets to 70 75% he is elite.

I think it's the exception rather than the norm. He barely played as a rookie. I don't remember him having the drops as a second year player. Last year, he was off to an AMAZING start--with an 80% catch rate on targeted balls. I think he's putting pressure on himself, and it's affecting his play. I don't think it will last. Just like I didn't think Jordy's poor drop rate from last year would last.

Upnorth
12-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I think it's the exception rather than the norm. He barely played as a rookie. I don't remember him having the drops as a second year player. Last year, he was off to an AMAZING start--with an 80% catch rate on targeted balls. I think he's putting pressure on himself, and it's affecting his play. I don't think it will last. Just like I didn't think Jordy's poor drop rate from last year would last.

And if he fixes it with his agility he will be top 3 TE, until then he gives us lots of sh&t to throw at eachother.

gbgary
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM

Well posted.

it's so good i wanted to put it in my sig but it's too big. :D

mission
12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd be fine giving Finley top 7 TE money tomorrow. New contact might have the Mason Crosby effect... think he's pressing and will only gets better the more he grows.