PDA

View Full Version : Will Driver reach 10,000

King Friday
12-04-2011, 08:54 PM
He needs 137 yards over the last 4 games to get to 10,000 receiving yards for his career.

Who thinks he'll get there...who thinks he'll come up short?

He's only averaging 20-something yards per game this year...although he's been slightly more visible the last 3-4 weeks.

I'm guessing he comes up short. I really want him to reach 10,000 because he deserves that milestone. That and another ring so he can go out on top.

mmmdk
12-04-2011, 08:57 PM
He'll get 80 yards versus Raiders alone; he'll make it!

gbgary
12-04-2011, 09:00 PM
MM and AR will make sure it happens.

channtheman
12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
As long as we don't start forcing passes to him to make it happen I'd like to see him get it. Bad things happen when we start forcing the ball to anyone in this offense. Go to the open guy and pray that the open guy isn't Finley.

gbgary
12-04-2011, 09:13 PM
As long as we don't start forcing passes to him to make it happen I'd like to see him get it. Bad things happen when we start forcing the ball to anyone in this offense. Go to the open guy and pray that the open guy isn't Finley.

lol...you're terrible.

RashanGary
12-04-2011, 09:14 PM
He's earning more touches. The only problem with Driver is that he's so limited in what he can do. His long speed looks, well, pathetic. Anyone covering him doesn't have to give much respect to him going by them. In the slot, he could still make some plays working the inside zones, but they don't seem to want to take Finley out of that spot (understandable.) In a 4-wide look, with Finley and Driver inside, I could see him getting some between the 20's.

His real value is in the redzone. He has 4 TD's right now, but at least three of them have come in the last couple games. As productive as he's been lately, I could see him getting more snaps down there. His veteran savvy gives him that edge. Redzone yards don't add up fast though. It's going to be tough.

In the long run, Jones and Cobb (for sure Cobb) are better off getting playing time. We're in the midst of a possible SB run. We have big play weapons all over the place. A reliable outlet like Driver, I think, would help this offense most right now.

channtheman
12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
lol...you're terrible.

:lol: I know, haha.

Upnorth
12-04-2011, 11:39 PM
His lack of seperation through drives seems to make the d get soft on him, this helps him in the redzone. Once he was dropped and the other time the corner hesitated to follow driver to day in the redzone. Back when he had his legs no one would leave him

sharpe1027
12-05-2011, 02:57 PM
He just needs to bust one decent gainer to make it a lock and he has shown up a bit more the past few games. He had 72 only a few games ago. Also, they might target him a lot in garbage time just for that reason. I think he will do it.

Tarlam!
12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
He gets it, and it will be at Lambeau against Da Bears. Love the guy.

Even if he doesn't, and he never gets another ring, DD goes out on top. A Packer that will never be forgotten.

smuggler
12-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I think he is actually just getting back into form from the cartilage injury in his knee. You guys might be surprised a little by Driver in the next few weeks. He still has a little gas left in the tank, enough to help us in the playoffs.

Smeefers
12-05-2011, 09:36 PM
MM and AR will make sure it happens.

Agreed. He doesn't have to get them all in one game, and if he only needs 30 to go in the last game of the year and we're still undefeated, I see no reason not to force him the ball until he gets his damn yards.

LEWCWA
12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Is his contract up? If not, he may be back next season...The guy is a true professional and has taken a back seat with a sense of class that just doesn't exist in todays game. That fact gives him a chance to stay another year if he wants to. You can't tell me we don't have a roster spot for him, do we really need 27 tightends.....

Upnorth
12-06-2011, 09:52 AM
So how long until Jennings passes him? When you think back ove teh last few years we really do have an embarasment of riches at WR. I think DD has help mold the incoming guys to play better. I wonder if he is interested in coaching at some point.

jdrats
12-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Seems to me that Driver's impact has been under estimated all season. Feels like at least half his catches have been for 1st downs on 3rd downs.

King Friday
12-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Is his contract up? If not, he may be back next season

I suppose he could be back if we don't draft a WR.

However, by all accounts Gurley is looking very good on the practice squad...and Cobb is going to be far more ready to contribute next season. I honestly don't see a spot for Donald next year. You need to develop the young talent...not retain a guy hanging on by a thread. I love Driver...but I'd rather have young players with upside on the roster, hungry to step in if needed. That is why we have had so much success with our backups in recent years. Do not rely on some broken down veteran...rely on hungry young talent eager to learn and work.

mission
12-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Donald Driver two years from now is still a better WR than Brett Swain as a #5 WR two years ago (next year heh). I understand not wanting to stunt a young guy's growth over blind loyalty, but Gurley next year wouldn't see many touches/opportunities anyway. If DD wants to be a #5 then so fuckin what. The guy has been 100% Packer since the start and really carried himself amazingly. He's class, he'll know when it's time to hang 'em up.

I've never been one to get too excited about career milestones but I noticed this one earlier in the year and have been paying attention to it ever since. I know he wants it, we want him to get it. I'm sure everyone else does too. It's a big number for a 7th round draft choice; for anyone. I say he gets it!

mission
12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Seems to me that Driver's impact has been under estimated all season. Feels like at least half his catches have been for 1st downs on 3rd downs.

Great point. I can remember 1 or 2 drops from him all year... always seems to come up with a timely tough catch when called upon.

channtheman
12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
No, this team was not built around retaining aging veterans. I like Driver and want him to get this milestone. I do not support keeping him next year in favor of young talent. We would have had Favre for another year and then never been able to resign Rodgers if this team had been built with that mindset.

mission
12-06-2011, 08:59 PM
No, this team was not built around retaining aging veterans. I like Driver and want him to get this milestone. I do not support keeping him next year in favor of young talent. We would have had Favre for another year and then never been able to resign Rodgers if this team had been built with that mindset.

Gurley is not Rodgers. If you can upgrade a position then upgrade it. We will ALWAYS be upgrading the bottom of the roster. He's proved he's above the level of what expectations exist for a #5 WR ... what do we really know about Gurley outside of some Lori Nickels training camp fluff pieces?

channtheman
12-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Gurley is not Rodgers. If you can upgrade a position then upgrade it. We will ALWAYS be upgrading the bottom of the roster. He's proved he's above the level of what expectations exist for a #5 WR ... what do we really know about Gurley outside of some Lori Nickels training camp fluff pieces?

I realize Gurley is not Rodgers, but you also don't know if he's the next Donald Driver, or better. I'm not saying he is or ever will be, but how many of us thought Rodgers would be better than Favre? Keep the young talent coming in. It's better to cut an aging veteran a year early than a year late.

mission
12-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I realize Gurley is not Rodgers, but you also don't know if he's the next Donald Driver, or better. I'm not saying he is or ever will be, but how many of us thought Rodgers would be better than Favre? Keep the young talent coming in. It's better to cut an aging veteran a year early than a year late.

I did. :lol:
And I get all that you're saying and really agree with it (99% of the time). I just think for a position with 5 possible guys, I wouldn't have a problem with DD playing another year if that's what he wanted to do. If it's a single player position like QB or LT then it's a lot harder... you go 5 deep, the 5th guy barely gets on the field. Driver adds a lot to the locker room and the practice field. Also, honestly, maybe if we had some stud 1st or 2nd rounder next year like Cobb then I'd be more likely to agree with you. But Tori Gurley, a guy who wasn't even the best WR on his average South Carolina team... meeehhh... I don't know. He wasn't drafted for a reason. Now say what you will about Driver being a 7th round pick but that had a lot more to do with him playing his college ball in obscurity than it did with his physical talents. Gurley played SEC football, had plenty of time to impress. He's just a Ruvell Martin to me with a long body and marginal speed; not like we're keeping a young Randy Moss off the field.

Everyone wanted to Chastain West to stick around and while it's nice he's found a home in Jacksonville, they have the worst WR corps in the league and he's still not doing anything down there. I know we like good stories and we root for the underdog, but you have to be a helluva underdog to play on this team.

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2011, 08:51 AM
It seems that Driver's biggest impact is when the play breaks down. Then you see him able to find an open spot and make himself a target.

mraynrand
12-07-2011, 08:59 AM
but how many of us thought Rodgers would be better than Favre?

Cleft Crusty?

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?17792-Rodgers-to-Overturn-Historical-Precedent&highlight=rodgers+historical+precedent

Upnorth
12-07-2011, 09:05 AM
It seems that Driver's biggest impact is when the play breaks down. Then you see him able to find an open spot and make himself a target.

He makes a great security blanket, between Jordy and Driver we always seem to have an outlet if the play breaks down. In the future I hope SAine can become part of the security blanket so when we say goodbye to Mr Driver it wont hurt as much.

MJZiggy
12-07-2011, 06:45 PM
He makes a great security blanket, between Jordy and Driver we always seem to have an outlet if the play breaks down. In the future I hope SAine can become part of the security blanket so when we say goodbye to Mr Driver it wont hurt as much.
I bet right now that Driver gets the PR contract that they wanted to give to Favre.

channtheman
12-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I did. :lol:
And I get all that you're saying and really agree with it (99% of the time). I just think for a position with 5 possible guys, I wouldn't have a problem with DD playing another year if that's what he wanted to do. If it's a single player position like QB or LT then it's a lot harder... you go 5 deep, the 5th guy barely gets on the field. Driver adds a lot to the locker room and the practice field. Also, honestly, maybe if we had some stud 1st or 2nd rounder next year like Cobb then I'd be more likely to agree with you. But Tori Gurley, a guy who wasn't even the best WR on his average South Carolina team... meeehhh... I don't know. He wasn't drafted for a reason. Now say what you will about Driver being a 7th round pick but that had a lot more to do with him playing his college ball in obscurity than it did with his physical talents. Gurley played SEC football, had plenty of time to impress. He's just a Ruvell Martin to me with a long body and marginal speed; not like we're keeping a young Randy Moss off the field.

Everyone wanted to Chastain West to stick around and while it's nice he's found a home in Jacksonville, they have the worst WR corps in the league and he's still not doing anything down there. I know we like good stories and we root for the underdog, but you have to be a helluva underdog to play on this team.

Fair enough, I definitely see your point in regards to the receiving corp.

MJZiggy
12-07-2011, 08:18 PM
If there's a receiver we like, why not stash him on the practice squad with the understanding that shortly after DD reaches this milestone, he will retire with grace and the love of all Packer fandom and said receiver will be promoted. Problem solved. Next!

channtheman
12-07-2011, 09:05 PM
If there's a receiver we like, why not stash him on the practice squad with the understanding that shortly after DD reaches this milestone, he will retire with grace and the love of all Packer fandom and said receiver will be promoted. Problem solved. Next!

And we can all hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah as Driver walks into the sunset.

Actually, I think when Driver is no longer good enough to play for the Packers, he might jump around to a few teams who could use him as a 2, similarly to how Jerry Rice was with the Raiders (I think) and Seahawks late in his career.

mission
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
And we can all hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah as Driver walks into the sunset.

Actually, I think when Driver is no longer good enough to play for the Packers, he might jump around to a few teams who could use him as a 2, similarly to how Jerry Rice was with the Raiders (I think) and Seahawks late in his career.

You think he would do that? Honest question. I'd *like* to think he wouldn't but you can't tell a guy with a family to not get money when it's available.

vince
12-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Driver already has the all-time Packer record for yards. 10,000 is a nice round milestone, and I hope he gets it this year because he deserves all the accolades that come his way. If he doesn't get it though, I don't think he'll be around next year.

There are some cap pressures coming and younger guys in their prime that need to be re-upped. Driver's not getting any better at 36/37 and he's grossly overpaid for his role. He has a big roster bonus that I don't think Thompson will pay next year given the young talent at receiver and the other young guys like Rodgers, Matthews, Jennings and others who are going to command a lot of coin sooner than later.

Thompson will have to make a lot of tough decisions, but while it's emotional to say goodbye to a legend, it's really a pretty easy decision I think. A long reception will go a long way for Donald. They've become rare for him, but hopefully he's got one more broken tackle or kickstand-stop-and-go left in him this year yet.

channtheman
12-08-2011, 12:06 AM
You think he would do that? Honest question. I'd *like* to think he wouldn't but you can't tell a guy with a family to not get money when it's available.

Yeah I could see Driver doing that. Not saying I definitely think he will, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he did.

Kiwon
12-08-2011, 05:03 AM
There's no telling exactly how Driver would end his career if he could still play after the Packers are done with him. BUT.....I sincerely hope he gets those 10,000 yards as a Packer this year. Who knows the future?

Smidgeon
12-12-2011, 10:39 AM
How close is he now?

denverYooper
12-12-2011, 10:43 AM
How close is he now?

Tarlam!
12-12-2011, 10:45 AM

I want him to do it x-mas day, not at Arrowhead

mmmdk
12-12-2011, 11:27 AM
He'll get 80 yards versus Raiders alone; he'll make it!

Damn I came close; DD got 75 yards versus Raiders. :lol: Oh, he'll make it alright.

gbgary
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
26+- to go. hoping he gets it at Lambeau.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2011, 07:38 PM
With GJ out this shit is going down this weekend!!

steve823
12-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Hopefully Driver can take this momentum he has had lately and carry it into the playoffs. I would love to see Driver light it up in the playoffs and end his career on a strong, memorable note.

Joemailman
12-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Too bad Packers just missed 2 milestones in front of the home crowd Sunday. Driver will probably pass 10,000 yards, and Arod will break Favre's team record for TD passes in a season in Kansas City. Maybe it'll happen on the same play.

Come to think of it, there might be as many Packer fans as Chief fans, so it will feel like they're doing it in front of the home crowd.

mission
12-13-2011, 03:27 PM
joe -- if you get to work, you might be able to cross 10k at the exact same moment Driver does!

Tarlam!
12-13-2011, 04:46 PM
joe -- if you get to work, you might be able to cross 10k at the exact same moment Driver does!

Now, that is witty and hilarious. Great one Tony!

MJZiggy
12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
joe -- if you get to work, you might be able to cross 10k at the exact same moment Driver does!Totally doable...

Jimx29
12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Too bad Packers just missed 2 milestones in front of the home crowd Sunday. Driver will probably pass 10,000 yards, and Arod will break Favre's team record for TD passes in a season in Kansas City. Maybe it'll happen on the same play.
....maybe not?

Jimx29
12-18-2011, 01:51 PM
....maybe not?there's half of it