PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green continues to progress - Ziggy

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Posted August 15, 2006

Green continues to progress

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Green Bay Packers running back Ahman Green has made a quick return by taking things slowly.

Green was cleared to practice a week ago, but the Packers were very careful with him, limiting him in drills and keeping him out of any team drills that require contact.

On Monday, Green worked in team drills for the first time during training camp, an important step in trying to get him back from a torn quadriceps that cost him much of last season.

"This was the first day for me taking a full practice," Green said. "Now we'll just continue to take more small steps with contact and getting ready for the regular season."

Green said he will practice in full pads during today night's practice. But while Green may not have any practice restrictions, that doesn't mean he's going to be seeing game action any time soon, something Green said he's fine with.

"I'm not anxious at all. I'm going to be patient," Green said. "It's going to be here before I know it, and I'll be out there. It'll possibly be Cincinnati, and if not then, I'll be ready by (the regular-season opener against) Chicago."

Green's return could mean big things for the Packers' offense. But what isn't known is if Green can play at the Pro Bowl level he did from 2001 to 2004 or if he will struggle as he did at the beginning of last season before he was injured.

"I think the level of practice goes up when you put a player of his magnitude in there," coach Mike McCarthy said. "We're going to practice him one a day this week and assess how he does and look at next week probably do a little more."

Running back Samkon Gado said he was surprised by how sharp Green looked in practice.

"He looked ridiculously good. It's good to have him back," Gado said. "As a young running back, that's what it's supposed to look like. That's what this cut is supposed to be, that's how you're supposed to carry the ball, that's how you're supposed to make this block, so it was good having him out there.

Green won't be the only running back who likely will miss Saturday's preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons. Gado injured his groin during the third quarter of Saturday night's loss to the San Diego Chargers.

"They didn't give me any time frame," Gado said. "They say it could be days or it could be weeks. You just never know with groins. It just all depends on how you attack the training and rehab."

With Green and Gado likely out for the next preseason game, running backs coach Edgar Bennett said Najeh Davenport would likely start. Davenport started against the Chargers, but struggled, gaining 12 yards on six carries.

"He had some good plays, but he also had some plays that he's got to get better at," Bennett said. "There were some areas that we've got to clean up."

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for the Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him a dtomlins@postcrescent.com

MJZiggy
08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks, Buck. Can't wait 'til the first time he blows past someone to the house.

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Posted August 15, 2006

Chris Havel column: Green can put bite in running game

By Chris Havel

The Green Bay Packers' success doesn't hinge on one player.

But if it did, Ahman Green would be that player.

That is why tonight's 6:30 practice in full pads, and Green's performance in it, may go a long way in deciding the Packers' fate.

I base that on the Packers' shaky guard play, lack of depth at running back and Green's ability to dominate when he is healthy.

I also base it on Green's performance in Monday afternoon's practice. For a guy coming back from a ruptured right quadriceps tendon, well, fullback William Henderson took the words right out of my mouth.

"Looking at him today, in just shorts and shoulder pads — you want to say everybody can look good in shorts and shoulder pads — but the guy was damn near phenomenal," Henderson said. "The way he hit the gaps, the way he hit the seams, he acts like he's been practicing this thing every day and getting into a rhythm ever since training camp started."

Anybody that knows Henderson knows he isn't one to exaggerate.

The fact is Green, 29, looked like he hadn't missed a beat.

He ran coach Mike McCarthy's zone blocking scheme the way it is supposed to be run. He flowed with the play, spied the hole and burst through it. That, or he flowed with the play, decided there wasn't a hole and cut back like his life depended on it.

It doesn't, of course, but the Packers' season just might.

"(Green's) momentum is always pushing forward," Henderson said. "He's making the right cuts. He's reading it very well. The goal for us is 4 yards a pop. I don't see people stopping him for less than 4 yards a pop.

"That's going to make us that much more powerful as an offense. With a running game, we know we can generate a passing game."

Green's target date to return to game action is the Packers' preseason game against Cincinnati on Monday, Aug. 28, at Lambeau Field.

Green's age, position and injury make for long odds against a successful comeback. He knows it, but he remains unfazed.

"I'm very confident," he said Monday. "I've been taking it one day at a time. I can't rush this. I can't speed it up. I have to look where I'm at right now."

Green knows he hasn't had a 100-yard rushing day since Nov. 14, 2004. That 21-month span includes 12 games in which he started but failed to top the century mark. Critics suggest Green's ruptured quad was an injury at the end of a career, rather than a career-ending injury. Green scoffs at the notion.

The four-time Pro Bowl running back admits injuries were a factor. He also believes there were other extenuating circumstances.

"We had a lot of big changes," he said. "We lost two of our best guards. You can't deny that. I'm not one to make excuses, but you've got to look at the big picture."

Today, the big picture is simple. With Green, the Packers have a running game. Without him, they don't.

Chris Havel can be reached by voice mail at (920) 431-8586 or by e-mail at chavel@greenbay.gannett.com

run pMc
08-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Few football-related things would make me happier than to see the Ahman-hype be reality. I'm pulling for him.

Astonishment
08-16-2006, 08:45 AM
We definately need Ahman this year.!!! If Green is making the other backs look bad and showing how the offense is supposed to be run (as is widely being reported) after coming off of a major injury, we are in major trouble. A healthy Green may be the only answer we can hope for.