PDA

View Full Version : Should M3 rest the starters?

packrulz
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM
I've been wondering if M3 should rest the starters after the Packers clinch home field advantage throughout the playoffs. It is extremely rare for a team to have a shot at an undefeated season, and I think it would be a mistake to just pull the starters to rest them for the playoffs without trying to run the table. However, I think it is possible to win with some of the back up players, like Flynn, Cobb, Neal, Zombo, and others, so just because M3 pulls some starters doesn't mean the Pack will necessarily lose the game. I believe the Packers should dream big, they can have it all, they just need to put the foot on the gas. The Falcons rested their starters last year, a lot of good it did them.

sharpe1027
12-06-2011, 03:46 PM
BF-OBOALOO, a perfect season is fine, but a SB win is far more important.

I voted for rest, but only if they think it gives them the best shot in the playoffs. It may be that they want to play the starters to keep the starters sharp. They'll already have at least one week off for the bye.

mraynrand
12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Rest, where needed. Play to win. 44OBOALOO

Upnorth
12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
19-0 would go down in history, but rest once you have a sizeable lead because 18-1 goes down on the wrong side of history 39-oboaloo

MadtownPacker
12-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Where is the options for "Fuck no!!"?

Rest if it is a blowout. Not just because of the undefeated factor also to go into the playoffs hot.

mission
12-06-2011, 05:07 PM
No.

If Rodgers gets hurt, it wasn't meant to be.

channtheman
12-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I say rest guys who are slightly injured that would play in a playoff game. Otherwise, business as usual.

yooperfan
12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
I say rest guys who are slightly injured that would play in a playoff game. Otherwise, business as usual.

I concur with this.

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2011, 05:36 PM
rest key starters! they can win with a few backups.

sheepshead
12-06-2011, 05:36 PM
I couldn't care less about 19-0(if that's meant to its meant to be). Having said that, I think it gets to be time to 'spell' guys more, not necessarily 'sit' guys. Reduce the chance of injury some but more importantly gives the bench some work. Maybe see more of some of these guys besides special teams. I dont think McCarthy should be thinking about 19-0 at all. Only the Lombardi. My 2 cents.

Harlan Huckleby
12-06-2011, 05:38 PM
I couldn't care less about 19-0(if that's meant to its meant to be). Having said that, I think it gets to be time to 'spell' guys more, not necessarily 'sit' guys. Reduce the chance of injury some but more importantly gives the bench some work.

agreed.

KYPack
12-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Where is the options for "Fuck no!!"?

Rest if it is a blowout. Not just because of the undefeated factor also to go into the playoffs hot.

x's a million.

Resting everybody is the poison cheese. Do not eat the poison cheese.

pbmax
12-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Just like Detroit in 'aught 7. Rest those battling injury, or those that look like they could get injured at any moment.

Everyone else plays. Remove starters only in blowout/game locked up. Do not remove start O line unless Rodgers is out.

jdrats
12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
These aren't the right questions. If the Packers go 14-0, they clinch with two weeks to play. If SF loses one more, they could clinch sooner.

I dread the idea of resting starters for two weeks. It is a momentum killer.

Luckily, it doesn't seem to be McCarthy's style. I believe he'll play to win every game, maybe hold out the minor injuries to give them extra healing time. Possibly pull starters in q4 of final game if it is well in hand.

So I had to pick choice 2--"Play the starters the whole game." But I meant EVERY game, regardless of when they clinch.

Do people really want to see the starters sit for two weeks?

mraynrand
12-06-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't like to lose

http://edgeofthewest.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/kirkeatsapple.jpg

MadtownPacker
12-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Beside, the last two games allow for playoff kisses of death to DET and CHI. Just ask Lovie.

channtheman
12-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Beside, the last two games allow for playoff kisses of death to DET and CHI. Just ask Lovie.

I was just thinking this. If we have a chance to knock the Bears and the Lions out of the playoffs, you'd have to be a fucking idiot to rest starters and let them in.

mission
12-06-2011, 07:40 PM
I was just thinking this. If we have a chance to knock the Bears and the Lions out of the playoffs, you'd have to be a fucking idiot to rest starters and let them in.

The best part is we can spend all season saying "we had nothing to play for" all offseason... but after beating them.

Joemailman
12-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Play the starters until you have a sizable lead. Then fire Slocum.

channtheman
12-06-2011, 08:56 PM

This.

King Friday
12-06-2011, 09:02 PM
I'd rather see us rest people the next two weeks...then all hands on deck (if near full health) the last 2 weeks. Coasting into the playoffs by letting up the last couple games is a poor choice, but some down time in weeks 14/15 in non-conference games seems smart to me.

George Cumby
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM

+2

mraynrand
12-07-2011, 09:01 AM

funny

Upnorth
12-07-2011, 09:02 AM
So if the starters play we can fire Slocum? Seeing as it is Wednesday, LET EM PLAY! (then do as Joe says)

RashanGary
12-07-2011, 09:07 AM

I'd play guys a little less. . . . Maybe cut back on 20% of Raji, Woodson, Matthews, Jennings, Finley. . . . Maybe bring Starks back a week late. Same with Hawk or Bishop if they're not quiet ready.

If you decide you want to take some abuse off the OL, do it at the end of the game and take Rodgers out too.

I don't see any benefit in not playing guys. There is a sharpness / groove thing that happens. Not playing, I don't think that's good for anyone. Playing a little less for four weeks so you're strong enough to get a good heavy lift in on Tuesday to keep your weight on. . . . That's never hurt anyone.

There is this thing called a winning mentality. . . . Some coaches really buy into it. MM is one of those coaches. Something tells me his foot is going to be to the floor until they kick him off the track.

RashanGary
12-07-2011, 09:09 AM
One thing you might see. . . . . A much lighter load during the week, then balls to the walls on Sunday. There is more than one way to allow a football player to get some strength back. Practice is nice, but it's nothing like the real life tune up that happens every Sunday.

After further thought, I'm going to say foot to the floor, the usual precautions and then don't drive guys so hard during the week. Sundays are special. You don't start a culture of half-assing it on Sunday. Taking care of your body is one thing. No NFL team is run by retards. All teams take care of their guys during the week. Not trying to win. . . . That's sacrilegious.

And if you are going to take some stress off during the week, make damn sure everyone knows every minute they're at work they're preparing to win. No half-ass, we got this thing locked up attitude, not at any point. Never. On Sunday, call the game like it's personal. Have an edge. Make it matter. . . . .

There is this magical line that just can't be crossed in competitive sports. Not showing up on Sunday is a patent encroachment. "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." "You play to win the game." "We have our foot to the floor and we're not letting up."

I think McCarthy will work this thing out just fine. I don't think not trying to win is a concept he could even grasp.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't think not trying to win is a concept he could even grasp.

It is not so cut and dried. You're trying to win - the Super Bowl. That is 100% the focus. Just because you have some backups playing in a regular season game doesn't mean you don't try to win the game.

Even within a game, you don't play your best defensive lineman on 100% of snaps. Its not like you aren't playing to win the snaps he is out. Its a question of strategic pacing. Same deal with resting players during playoff run.

pbmax
12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
I think McCarthy will work this thing out just fine. I don't think not trying to win is a concept he could even grasp.

It is not so cut and dried. You're trying to win - the Super Bowl. That is 100% the focus. Just because you have some backups playing in a regular season game doesn't mean you don't try to win the game.

Even within a game, you don't play your best defensive lineman on 100% of snaps. Its not like you aren't playing to win the snaps he is out. Its a question of strategic pacing. Same deal with resting players during playoff run.

We have already seen both his impulse and his considered decision previously. Immediately after clinching the 2007 Division (after a loss to the Bears, wasn't it?) McCarthy was asked about the next (now playoff meaningless) game versus Detroit and he answered that he was playing to win like it was any other regular season game. He thought it dangerous to change the mindset when you have not accomplished your main goal.

Every paper, commenter and fan picked up on this and many (including McGinn) predicted this was a rash statement. While they did not have to abandon the game, some measures of caution would be wise. McCarthy later backed off his statement a bit and indeed for that Detroit game, those nursing injuries were ruled out (Woodson I think, among others) and those with chronic issues (Clifton) played until there was a lead or possibly the plan was the first quarter/half (it was old Detroit, having a lead at the end of the 1st Quarter was almost inevitable).

McGinn credited this substantial change in emphasis to Thompson, but since they got to the NFC Championship game, there is no reason to doubt McCarthy will repeat it.

Smidgeon
12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
We have already seen both his impulse and his considered decision previously. Immediately after clinching the 2007 Division (after a loss to the Bears, wasn't it?) McCarthy was asked about the next (now playoff meaningless) game versus Detroit and he answered that he was playing to win like it was any other regular season game. He thought it dangerous to change the mindset when you have not accomplished your main goal.

Every paper, commenter and fan picked up on this and many (including McGinn) predicted this was a rash statement. While they did not have to abandon the game, some measures of caution would be wise. McCarthy later backed off his statement a bit and indeed for that Detroit game, those nursing injuries were ruled out (Woodson I think, among others) and those with chronic issues (Clifton) played until there was a lead or possibly the plan was the first quarter/half (it was old Detroit, having a lead at the end of the 1st Quarter was almost inevitable).

McGinn credited this substantial change in emphasis to Thompson, but since they got to the NFC Championship game, there is no reason to doubt McCarthy will repeat it.

Didn't he keep both Kampman and Driver out for that game? I think Driver was upset that his consecutive games with a catch streak was cut off--or something like that.

vince
12-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Too much time without experiencing competitive game speed is not a good thing going into the playoffs. Achieving the ultimate goal requires that the team be as sharp as possible going into the playoffs. They'll play their starters throughout until/unless a game is out of hand as they normally would pull guys in that situation.

Plus, having the opportunity to potentially end the Bears' and Lions' seasons is icing on the cake.

Jimx29
12-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Rest them as needed (with safe lead)

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Rest them as needed (with safe lead)

This is what most people have voted. Its a way to avoid of making a difficult choice, spltting the difference. But "safe leads" are unlikely.

I'd say this position is about the same as "don't rest", since it keeps priority on winning regular season games.

If the question is "which strategy is most likely to lead to Super Bowl victory", there is a reasonable argument and evidence on both sides. The reason the fans are skewed to the "don't rest" side is that it hurts to watch any loss.

pbmax
12-08-2011, 08:03 AM
If there was an option for play uninjured starters like its the 3rd preseason game, I would have voted for that. It's not out fault our gameplans are more complicated than the simple answers provided by your poll. :lol:

AtlPackFan
12-08-2011, 10:25 AM

This is my thought. If Woodson, Matthews, etc. are dinged up and resting will help them get ready for the playoffs, then rest them. Otherwise, all healthy bodies play.