PDA

View Full Version : OT: New website

Sparkey
04-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Please visit www.thepackernation.com

Opinions and comments welcome. BTW, not sure who runs this forum, but I can add a link to this forum from my website.

Deputy Nutz
04-11-2006, 04:33 PM
will they link us?

Sparkey
04-11-2006, 04:35 PM
will they link us?

Most definately since it is my site. :)

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 04:37 PM
So Spark, let me get this straight? You're asking us to visit and offer creative thoughts and suggestions on a possible competitor to the Packer Rats site? Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but, as a marketer, I'm a little sensitive to promoting another Packer site on this one. Are you connected to it?

I visited, but don't plan on offering any comments or suggestions. We're busy enough trying to build this one.

tyler

Patler
04-11-2006, 04:39 PM
So Spark, let me get this straight. You're asking us to visit and offer creative thoughts and suggestions on a possible competitor to the Packer Rats site? Hope you don't take this the wrong way, but, as a marketer, I'm a little sensitive to promoting another Packer site on this one. Are you connected to it?

I visited, but don't plan on offering any comments or suggestions. We're busy enough trying to build this one.

tyler

What do you mean by "building this one"? What will it become?

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 04:45 PM
We're building this one into a full-fledged Packer site. Development is going on behind the scenes right now. Because of Spark's post, I've requested that we put some kind of news release up regarding the development process. We've got lots of content ideas and etc. and should be telling people what's going on. But we haven't, due to hackers and possible competitors within our own ranks.

Spark, I hope you don't take my post the wrong way. You're welcome to post whatever you want here. I think its our bad that we haven't been more open about our plans. I wish you luck with your site.

tyler

Patler
04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
We're building this one into a full-fledged Packer site. Development is going on behind the scenes right now. Because of Spark's post, I've requested that we put some kind of news release up regarding the development process. We've got lots of content ideas and etc. and should be telling people what's going on. But we haven't, due to hackers and possible competitors within our own ranks.

Spark, I hope you don't take my post the wrong way. You're welcome to post whatever you want here. I think its our bad that we haven't been more open about our plans. I wish you luck with your site.

tyler

So when do the fees start being charged???? :sad:

Harlan Huckleby
04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Sham,

Jack the Smirking Rapper has dreams of making a full web site, with some articles written by members here. Perhaps some other fun and games.

Madtown is taking-over hosting of the site tomorrow. He and JSR are the shakers and movers, but lots of people willl contribute. Well, sometimes there is a gap between good intentions and the necessary hard work, but something will get going.

BTW, the site iis being moved over to Madtown's care and feeding, probably tomorrow morning. So PackerRats will be shutdown for a few hours while we do the transfer. An announcement will be made, but we willl briefly go dark sometime soon. Can't do it in the middle of the night because I insist on my beauty sleep.

Patler
04-11-2006, 05:05 PM
You didn't answer my question. Will there be membership/subscription fees?

Harlan Huckleby
04-11-2006, 05:12 PM

I thought you were joking. But guess it is a reasonable question.

Short answer is "no". And probably the long answer is "no" too! Nobody ever discussed any fees for visitors.

But we (that would be the royal "we", or "me") have talked about setting up a club that would have some nominal anual membership dues. But this was just for people who are actively involved in the site. In other words, financial penalties for the volunteers!

jack's smirking revenge
04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
There's also talk of that $$$ being covered by advertising. I'd like us to remain a free site and there's really no substantive talk about charging anyone. I won't promote this being a paid site until the content we pump out and the readership we have warrants it (ie. we need better bandwidth to support our efforts). Everything we're developing is via the participation of Packer Rats personnel.

tyler

Patler
04-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Sham,

I guess I should change my name. I lose all credibility when you shorten it to "Sham"! ("Rock" would be so much more authoritative and manly.)

MJZiggy
04-11-2006, 05:40 PM
I could think of another VERY authoritative name you could use if you chose to.

MadtownPacker
04-11-2006, 08:54 PM

Da Rock - There will NEVER be any fees!! Period!! You saw how fast I change the NFC north team names blocked when you asked, right? Where else you gonna find service like that?

MJZiggy
04-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Mad does make a stunning argument.

Tony Oday
04-11-2006, 09:01 PM
how much does a site like this cost a year?

GBRulz
04-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Mad is just stunning... oh baby :oops: what was the question again? :)

and Tony, I'm not sure I can speak for Mad on what the costs are, but I do know that for my own website, I pay $7 bucks a month for hosting, free domain registering and it has all the tools such as message board software like this. So, you really do get alot for your money.

billy_oliver880
04-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Mad is just stunning... oh baby :oops: what was the question again? :)

and Tony, I'm not sure I can speak for Mad on what the costs are, but I do know that for my own website, I pay $7 bucks a month for hosting, free domain registering and it has all the tools such as message board software like this. So, you really do get alot for your money.

Depends on how much traffic this site is getting. As more people visit the need for a host with more bandwidth will be needed. More bandwidth = more money. Perhaps we could make a donation set up. Site supporters and such.

GBRulz
04-11-2006, 10:26 PM
yeah, harvey and Zig will eat up the bandwidth quota on their own!!

KIDDING guys :lol:

MJZiggy
04-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Can we deal with that when/if need arises?

GBRulz
04-11-2006, 10:28 PM
another idea on how to raise funds instead of just asking for cash, might be to set up an eBay account, named "PackerRats" of course and have people donate items that can be sold on eBay. the funds from eBay can be used, in addition to whatever monetary donations people want to contribute - for the cost of maintaining this website. I know for some, donating items might be easier than sending cash....just a thought.

billy_oliver880
04-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Can we deal with that when/if need arises?

Absolutly but I am fully expecting this place to become very popular. :D

Harlan Huckleby
04-11-2006, 10:51 PM
The money issue is largely symbolic. Even a popular site won't cost that much. By "symbolic" I mean it is good for lots of people to get involved with small contributions.

Packers4Ever
04-11-2006, 10:59 PM

Opinions and comments welcome. BTW, not sure who runs this forum, but I can add a link to this forum from my website.

I stopped by there last week Sparkey, didn't get to view the whole site but looked pretty nice to me. I'll go back again.
Of course, this one is about the best one to be found! :smile:

Sparkey
04-12-2006, 12:01 AM

I stopped by there last week Sparkey, didn't get to view the whole site but looked pretty nice to me. I'll go back again.
Of course, this one is about the best one to be found! :smile:

t/y I added an RSS feed to the main page. Hopefully it can keep current with daily articles.

Tarlam!
04-12-2006, 03:50 AM
Nobody should misunderstand these next comments.

I suggested Sparkey display his address in here, so that if we find ourselves offline for whatever reason, we would have somewhere to meet until Mad gets the hypothetical issue solved. HH just posted we'd be offline today for a coupla hours maybe.

Well, assuming not every member read this warning, it would be good if they weren't compulsed to have to go back to JSO. I distincly remember a coupla members having a vile taste in their mouthes posting there in the interim. All kinds of speculation was going on about the future of our home here. And really, Mad just hit the wrong button and there was no real cause for alarm. But people were quite fazed...

I just thought it is a great idea to have a fallback option for another case of unforseen technical difficulties.

Remember, the CE provider dived for a day or so as well.