PDA

View Full Version : Packer Tight Ends Getting Their Share Of Action

woodbuck27
08-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Tight Ends Getting Their Share Of Action

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 08/15/2006

The Green Bay Packers' tight ends have heard throughout mini-camps and training camp that they're going to be a big part of the offense this year.

So far, Head Coach Mike McCarthy and offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski are paying it more than lip service. Both of them believe in using the tight end to stretch the field, both vertically with routes up the seam and horizontally with drags across the middle.

As a consequence, rarely does an 11-on-11 series go by in camp that Bubba Franks, David Martin, Donald Lee, Tory Humphrey or Zac Alcorn isn't catching at least one pass, and the group is loving the attention being paid to them.

"You can see it out there on the field," Martin said. "You get excited when a play is called, especially with the quarterback we have. You never know where he's going to go with the ball. You always have to be ready, and Coach McCarthy is putting us in positions we can get the ball."

The tight ends would have liked to produce more in the preseason opener against San Diego, but five sacks and other scrambles limited the quarterbacks to just 18 completions. Martin and Alcorn caught one pass each.

The numbers were better in the Family Night scrimmage, when Lee, Martin and Humphrey combined for eight of the team's 27 receptions. Lee had five of them.

Franks has been in and out of practice with minor injuries but is clearly the leader and top performer in the group, looking to come back from a frustrating 2005, the first injury-riddled season of his Pro Bowl career. Meanwhile Martin is looking to stay healthy and remain consistent after five seasons battling injuries and uneven production.

On Tuesday, McCarthy said Martin was having the most consistent camp of the tight ends, with the hope it continues.

"I don't want to go out there and make a couple big plays and the next day come out and have a bad practice," Martin said. "I'm just trying to keep going up, up, up that ladder and try to have a healthy and safe camp and a healthy year. That's my goal."

Lee, a free agent picked up five days before the 2005 season opener, had a strong first year as a Packer with 33 catches for 294 yards despite learning the offense on the fly. He said he feels more comfortable this year, having been around an entire year to study the playbook.

"In the offseason, I took advantage of that," Lee said. "Now I think I'm way ahead of the game."

Humphrey and Alcorn are longshots to break into the group because the three tight ends in front of them are so solid and experienced, but they have flashed ability as well.

In the end, those seeing regular action will likely be the most well-rounded, able to block for the run or pass as well as catch the ball when their number is called.

"They're doing more pass protection than they have in the past," McCarthy said. "So we're real excited about the depth of that group and (being able to) tap into it."

digitaldean
08-15-2006, 11:07 PM
This has to be a make or break year for Franks.

With the increased usage of the TE in this offense, he should shine (if he truly has the ability). In that I mean, more than the 3-4 yd TD passes. If he can show even a fraction of Keith Jackson's ability to spread the field, it'd be a vast improvement.

Martin, he HAS stay healthy for once. Otherwise, I see him as the next Tyrone Davis. . . another TE project that didn't pan out.

Scott Campbell
08-16-2006, 01:12 AM
I thought this was going to be an old article on Chewy.

Tarlam!
08-16-2006, 04:37 AM
Being a Sports Idiot, I can only say this:

I want double TE sets! I dunno why, but I love the sound of it!!!!

pittstang5
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Well, if McCarthy plans on using the TEs alot, he sure is keeping it a secret. I didn't see anything spectacular against SD. In fact, I didn't even know Franks dressed for the game.

bigcoz75
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Well, if McCarthy plans on using the TEs alot, he sure is keeping it a secret. I didn't see anything spectacular against SD. In fact, I didn't even know Franks dressed for the game.

He didn't

mission
08-16-2006, 03:41 PM

:lol: :lol:

(i guess im the only one that got that)

:neutral:

Zool
08-16-2006, 03:43 PM

:lol: :lol:

(i guess im the only one that got that)

:neutral:

I thought maybe this was supposed to be in the garbage can when I read the title.

MJZiggy
08-16-2006, 03:46 PM

I want more "all-go."

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 04:00 PM

I want more "all-go."

We have to have some blocking, before we are in alot of 3rd down and 4 and 5 yards to go . . . multi-receiver sets. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH !!

]{ilr]3
08-16-2006, 05:43 PM
I hope Bubba has a good year! Not only because he signed a decent contract that pays him to have a good year, but because I have always liked the guy.

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 01:00 AM
{ilr]3]I hope Bubba has a good year! Not only because he signed a decent contract that pays him to have a good year, but because I have always liked the guy.

One of the hardest working and quietest Packers and certainly reliable up to last season and a solid blocker as a TE.

REAL good in the paint as well. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD FAITH in 2006 !!

GBRulz
08-18-2006, 07:48 AM
I thought we were going to be using double TE sets this year?

That's when our offense kicked ass, when we had Jackson and Chmura on the field...and of course opened things up for the WR's....

Unless the field is being stretched, our passing game is going to tank. Driver will always be double teamed, same as last year.

Chester Marcol
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
I thought we were going to be using double TE sets this year?

That's when our offense kicked ass, when we had Jackson and Chmura on the field...and of course opened things up for the WR's....

Unless the field is being stretched, our passing game is going to tank. Driver will always be double teamed, same as last year.

It's all going to depend on the O-line. I to was excited about getting back to a time when our TE's were more involved. However, as our first preseason game showed us, we had to keep the TE's and RB's close to home to help block so Favre didn't get killed. I was wondering during the game where the TE's were, and looking back I realized they were mostly blocking.

I watched Atlanta's first game this year and thier line is fun to watch. The whole line moves/works together. Literally 5 guys moving like a snow plow. Our line looked more like a 3 stooges show running in circles. But we should watch for improvement in our line and watch the Falcons line to see what our future should be like. I'm sure if you went back to Falcons and Broncos earlier days of installing the zone block, it probably wasn't pretty. Really seems important to have 5 pieces working/moving as one.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe Babba can play guard?

GBRulz
08-18-2006, 10:31 AM
yeah, no kidding! I mean why pay Bubba top TE money if all we need is another "guard"

4and12to12and4
08-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Well, bubba sure the hell didnt do any better blocking in SD than any of the guards. So, we better look elsewhere. :mrgreen:

CaliforniaCheez
08-19-2006, 12:08 PM
I like Lee.

With Boerigter's size and intelligence I would like to see him take David Martin's roster spot.

Bubba is safe until next year. Better blocking and better speed is needed from the first teamer.

flipnout91
08-19-2006, 02:10 PM
We have three solid TE's. Blame the last coaching staff for the lack of production from our TE's. I am one who thought Sherman is and was a good coach, but for the life of me, I could not understand why he did not use the TE's more and the Screen pass. Bubba will have his best year if he stays healthy.