PDA

View Full Version : Guys who have stepped up the last few games

RashanGary
12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Morgan Burnett - Big tackles, a couple big breakups.
Sam Shields - Not a lot of completions on that guy
Erik Walden - Best I've seen him play, 3 weeks straight
Backup ILB - Holy Crap
Randall Cobb - When he's on offense, it looks like he knows his job. He could be big for us until GJ gets back.
Donald Driver - Seems like he's caught every ball thrown his way for a month now
Derrek Sherrod - I liked what I saw. That sack, he coralled the guy inside, but he had help out there. There was no reason to let him inside, outside or upside down. As far as having some impact on that initial punch. It's the first time I've seen it. He got in his set and punched the guy in front of him regularly, with authority. He looked. . . . Well, not too bad. Hope!
Ryan Grant - Missed a couple blitz pickups (strange) but dang, he ran well today

King Friday
12-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Driver and Cobb should be able to pick up the slack with Jennings out. Might actually be a help if Jennings can come back for the first playoff game...give the subs some extra reps.

Harlan Huckleby
12-12-2011, 05:24 AM
I agree with your list, except Driver has had some drops.

Don't what to make of Sherrod, but he certainly looks bigger than Newhouse.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Is it odd how 1 inch longer arms and 15 pounds or so inspires confidence? I think I spend too much time reading about arm length.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Francois in coverage is the new Chillar, only with better hands. Wonder if he'll get some TE assignments one on one like Brandon.

Front seven did much better in run support overall so can't complain about either Smith or Francois there.

Raji looks like a new man and it might have been his snaps. But I wonder if they have been calling more "jet" rushes for him?

Burnett seems healthy and confident, he was really filling well, couple of very nice tackles.

Walden has definitely gone up a level. Pass rush seems to have improved but numbers aren't quite there yet.

Grant showed some very nice patience and his usual top end gear.

jdrats
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Francois in coverage is the new Chillar, only with better hands. Wonder if he'll get some TE assignments one on one like Brandon.

Front seven did much better in run support overall so can't complain about either Smith or Francois there.

Two int in two weeks is a nice start for Francois as "next guy up," but does anyone here have an overall report on him? How assignment sure is he? Is he close to the level that the coaching staff will start trying to find a way to get him on the field when Hawk and Bishop are both back?

Fritz
12-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Raji looks like a new man and it might have been his snaps. But I wonder if they have been calling more "jet" rushes for him?

Burnett seems healthy and confident, he was really filling well, couple of very nice tackles.

Walden has definitely gone up a level. Pass rush seems to have improved but numbers aren't quite there yet.

Good observations. I have also thought of Francois as the next Chillar, and have wondered if Raji is getting more of those "jet" rushes. If so, I say keep it going. Better to risk some draws and screens than to have to blitz a bunch of guys and get scorched that way. If you can get a pass rush with only four, so much the better. Then you can leave Robert "Chillar" Francois to patrol the middle for those short, over-the-middle dump-offs that have killed the Pack recently.

Sam Shields looks interested in playing physical football again. Well, physical for him, anyway.

Harlan Huckleby
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Thing about Francois is that he is big and still moves well.

Sherrod looks giant to me, maybe it is just the giant head.

Fritz
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Anybody wondering if Francois will take some snaps away from Hawk/Bishop in passing downs in which a linebacker is needed in coverage?

And how about the beer vendors at Lambeau? They've really picked it up the last few games, too.

mraynrand
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM

I think he has a triple-ply helmet

mraynrand
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Is it odd how 1 inch longer and 15 pounds or so inspires confidence?

There's a joke in there somewhere

pbmax
12-12-2011, 01:48 PM
There's a joke in there somewhere

Yes, and its currently flashing in a pop up ad my browser failed to block. Stupid java.

denverYooper
12-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Thing about Francois is that he is big and still moves well.

No, he's a large man. If he throws a cheeseburger, it goes into orbit around his chest.

RashanGary
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
It would be interesting to see some 2-5-4 base-type defense. We have extra LB's. . . . . I wonder how that would play out.

RashanGary
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm looking forward to the Christl/Barzen-whats-his-name write up. I always look forward to that, but especially this week. Those two ILBs, the safeties, Neal and the rest of the DL have me intrigued. I just don't know for sure how to judge them. Oh, Sherrod too. His body looks a lot like Cliffys.

smuggler
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
It would be interesting to see some 2-5-4 base-type defense. We have extra LB's. . . . . I wonder how that would play out.

This only works with a nice lead. The other team will run it down our throats if we try that.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I think DJ Smith is 5' 8". From the GBPG Photo Slideshow: Along the Lines

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/LB_Smith.png

Guiness
12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Is it odd how 1 inch longer arms and 15 pounds or so inspires confidence? I think I spend too much time reading about arm length.

Big hands I know you're the one...

doesn't he have very large hands as well?

Fritz
12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
He's got the lower body and legs of my great Aunt Myrtle....she played for the Canton Bulldogs. Linebacker and fullback. Oh, and she punted, too.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Lang, Clifton, Bulaga and Sherrod are simply a different size than everyone else. Looking at Lang next to Sitton I can see why McCarthy saw a tackle all along.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/293351_10150371561700073_71671905072_8554652_26732 7004_n.jpg

denverYooper
12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Lang, Clifton, Bulaga and Sherrod are simply a different size than everyone else. Looking at Lang next to Sitton I can see why McCarthy saw a tackle all along.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/293351_10150371561700073_71671905072_8554652_26732 7004_n.jpg

Jeebs. You could practically switch Cliffy's and Sherrod's heads and it'd be hard to tell the difference.

Well, maybe put sleeves on 'em too but they look like they have the same body.

Tarlam!
12-13-2011, 12:15 AM

This fascinates me. Where has he been all season? Starkes goes down, Saine leaves the game and Grant feels less threatened or what?

Zombo wasn't mentioned, but I saw a couple of nice plays from him, also. Honourable mention.

Tarlam!
12-13-2011, 12:23 AM

Dom plays a LOT of snaps with only 2 down linemen and the way Woodson plays, he's almost an additional LB. I think we are seeing a form of the scheme you suggest when they play in nickel, no?

pbmax
12-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Well, it probably should be taken with a grain of salt. The Raiders have not been a great run Defense this year (Football Outsiders has them last), so Grant's numbers might look more pedestrian versus a better run defense.

Pugger
12-13-2011, 12:44 AM

Sherrod had problems Sunday. He's very raw. I wasn't pleased to see our O line play musical chairs with The Franchise getting knocked around! Lord, I hope Cliffy and Sitton are back soon.

Smidgeon
12-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Well, it probably should be taken with a grain of salt. The Raiders have not been a great run Defense this year (Football Outsiders has them last), so Grant's numbers might look more pedestrian versus a better run defense.

When they showed Grant's previous long run from 2009, he looked like a completely different runner. In the replay, he was noticeably more fluid and flexible. This year, he's comparatively very stiff. Not surprised he hasn't been showing his previous form after that revelation.

Patler
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I think DJ Smith is 5' 8". From the GBPG Photo Slideshow: Along the Lines

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/LB_Smith.png

That is one compact distribution of 240 lbs.

Patler
12-13-2011, 01:23 PM
double post

pbmax
12-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't think DJ could be a long strider if he wanted to.

Fritz
12-13-2011, 03:11 PM
If he was a chicken you could feed a village on one of his legs.

mission
12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
I wonder what the dude squats.