PDA

View Full Version : DJ Smith

steve823
12-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Anyone else impressed with the performance of DJ Smith?

He had a great game against the raiders. The interception was nice and all , but he made a lot of plays that were better. He had pressure multiple times, he played well in coverage when asked to, and he seemed to play with a lot of tenacity. I specifically remember two plays, one where he blew up a screen and another where he busted through the line and pressured Palmer very quickly.

Good to see the Pack's backups are still rising to the occasion..after all that was one of the main reasons we won the SB last year.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Great points. Thinking the D has looked better with him and Frenchy in the mix. These fuckers have got me excited about the repeat chances. Hungry players want to eat !

Tarlam!
12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
M3 and Dom Capers were also impressed with francois. Both received D-gameballs.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Sure I'll get reamed worse than Harlan at the pride parade for this but I don't give a fuck if Hawk ever comes back.

steve823
12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
I wonder if Dom is thinking about some new packages that would get another ILB on the field for run stopping downs or maybe some exotic blitzes. I would love to see Bishop and Smith both blitz, just seems like they get through more than anyone else (besides Clay of course).

Brandon494
12-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I know its not going to happen but I would love for them to trade Hawk for another position like OLB, CB or a draft pick and let this guy start next to Bishop next season.

mmmdk
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM

Well deserved. Someone on PR compared DJ to Sam Mills; having seen Mills play in live action...I admit it has some merit. Big shoes though, big. Mills is smiling somewhere in the ether world.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I know its not going to happen but I would love for them to trade Hawk for another position like OLB, CB or a draft pick and let this guy start next to Bishop next season.

Fuck yeah!! Git rid of allll the White boys!!! Just like charles "beat it" haley said!!

gbgary
12-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Anyone else impressed with the performance of DJ Smith?

He had a great game against the raiders. The interception was nice and all , but he made a lot of plays that were better. He had pressure multiple times, he played well in coverage when asked to, and he seemed to play with a lot of tenacity. I specifically remember two plays, one where he blew up a screen and another where he busted through the line and pressured Palmer very quickly.

Good to see the Pack's backups are still rising to the occasion..after all that was one of the main reasons we won the SB last year.

mm said he was/is combative.

HarveyWallbangers
12-12-2011, 07:56 PM
They didn't look all very good against the Giants, but they came through in this game. I'm not sure if Oakland is a great barometer. That team looked beat before they got off the bus, and Palmer was throwing it all over the place.

Brandon494
12-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Fuck yeah!! Git rid of allll the White boys!!! Just like charles "beat it" haley said!!

Has nothing to do with being white, these guys make athletic plays that Hawk doesn’t. I guess some are just blinded by the white and can't see it for what it is.

Brandon494
12-12-2011, 08:01 PM
They didn't look all very good against the Giants, but they came through in this game. I'm not sure if Oakland is a great barometer. That team looked beat before they got off the bus, and Palmer was throwing it all over the place.

To be fair it was their first time starting and on the road at that.

Joemailman
12-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I love the way Smith plays, but I wonder if teams will be able to exploit his lack of height with the passing game.

I think it says a lot about the coaching staff that a rookie like Smith can go from ST to starting ILB and do as well as he has done.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Has nothing to do with being white, these guys make athletic plays that Hawk doesn’t. I guess some are just blinded by the white and can't see it for what it is.

Shut yo mulatto azz up!! You saw my post above saying send that honky away.

MadtownPacker
12-12-2011, 08:04 PM
mm said he was/is combative.

Abrasive? :lol:

Brandon494
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Might be kinda early to compare him after only a few games but DJ Smith reminds me a lot of London Fletcher.

Harlan Huckleby
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Well deserved. Someone on PR compared DJ to Sam Mills; having seen Mills play in live action...I admit it has some merit. Big shoes though, big. Mills is smiling somewhere in the ether world.

DJ looks even smaller to me, he's not as thick as Mills. DJ looks like a cornerback on steroids. But can't argue with results,the little guy can tackle.

hoosier
12-12-2011, 08:19 PM
I love the way Smith plays, but I wonder if teams will be able to exploit his lack of height with the passing game.

I think it says a lot about the coaching staff that a rookie like Smith can go from ST to starting ILB and do as well as he has done.

I think he played his shortness to his own advantage against Oakland: Palmer thought he could loft one over him with no problem and didn't realize Smith has some jumping ability. I expect him to come up with several picks based on QBs misunderestimating him.

Tarlam!
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Shut yo mulatto azz up!! You saw my post above saying send that honky away.

Call me stupid, but, CMIII isn't black, is he?

George Cumby
12-12-2011, 08:43 PM

Your stupid, (j/k) but correct. There is a clear lack of melanin in his phenotype.

Guiness
12-12-2011, 08:48 PM

That's why he does so well. He's as good as a black LB, but he's white so people underestimate him!

(Thanks for the softball Tarlam!)

Smidgeon
12-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Who'd be the thumper?

George Cumby
12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Who'd be the thumper?

And what would you get for a solid, but unspectacular white inside linebacker with a big contract?

Guiness
12-12-2011, 09:02 PM
And what would you get for a solid, but unspectacular white inside linebacker with a big contract?

I dunno. An Asian punter or Brazil safety, I'd guess.

pbmax
12-12-2011, 09:19 PM

A Soul Patrol? :)

I could see Francois getting a shot at TE coverage now.

bobblehead
12-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Its clear that this defense is playing better with hawk out. Following packer fan logic, Hawk > Barnett and Smith > Hawk. Its obvious that Smith simply calls the game better and is a better QB on the field than Hawk...its the only possible explanation.

Tarlam!
12-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Bobble, after Barnett went down last year and Hawk got the headset, we all said the same thing! The defense started playing lights out and we praised Hawk's ability to obviously QBing the defense better.

I am not disagreeing with, BTW, but it has been eating at me all season long.

ND72
12-12-2011, 10:13 PM
I've liked seeing what DJ can do. He was one guy I really watched during camp, and had high hopes that he could learn and progress within the system. Does anyone else follow him on twitter though? Other than loving the team and fans, he doesn't seem to care too much for GB or Wisconsin...hopefully that changes in time. I like his cockiness and unafraid to bark at guys.

Tarlam!
12-12-2011, 10:18 PM
he doesn't seem to care too much for GB or Wisconsin...hopefully that changes in time. I like his cockiness and unafraid to bark at guys.

Remember, they dragged Woodson there kicking and screaming? Now, he could be the UN Ambassor for the State, especially the town! Somebody should take DJ on a hunting trip or something. Hahah

HarveyWallbangers
12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
The backups played two games. Does anybody remember how shitty the ILBs played against the Giants and the fact we gave up 35 points?

Brandon494
12-12-2011, 10:30 PM
The backups played two games. Does anybody remember how shitty the ILBs played against the Giants and the fact we gave up 35 points?

The defense as a whole played shitty against the Giants.

Tarlam!
12-12-2011, 10:34 PM
The defense as a whole played shitty against the Giants.

There was a lot of confusion in the first quarter; they said the headset wasn't working or something, didn't they? That kinda set the tone for the poor outing. The kids certainly improved against Oakland, though, but Palmer is a statue and Manning proved he is quite mobile.

Harlan Huckleby
12-13-2011, 08:50 AM
Its clear that this defense is playing better with hawk out. Following packer fan logic, Hawk > Barnett and Smith > Hawk. Its obvious that Smith simply calls the game better and is a better QB on the field than Hawk...its the only possible explanation.

Excellent point. Hawk has gotten way too much credit and way too much blame. He's always been a decent starting LB.

As the secondary improves, we may have to conclude that Nick Collins was just a guy.

bobblehead
12-13-2011, 08:56 AM
I think he played his shortness to his own advantage against Oakland: Palmer thought he could loft one over him with no problem and didn't realize Smith has some jumping ability. I expect him to come up with several picks based on QBs misunderestimating him.

wouldn't misunderestimating him mean that the qb actually didn't underestimate him?

bobblehead
12-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Bobble, after Barnett went down last year and Hawk got the headset, we all said the same thing! The defense started playing lights out and we praised Hawk's ability to obviously QBing the defense better.

I am not disagreeing with, BTW, but it has been eating at me all season long.

Yes tarlam, that was my point. Our fans LOVE to come up with wild theories and explanations for them. Some jackass even thought that TT would cut Grant in the preseason due to his overvalued contract that he had leveraged during the Favre fiasco.

Upnorth
12-13-2011, 09:25 AM
I would love to see Smith be the player to put Hawk on the bench, but I want to see more action before trading Hawk away. I am a big believer in the team we have, and love to see backups out play the starters, that is developing in house talent and the way that teams like the Steelers have a decade plus of excellence. So are these injury replacements the key to our D's turn around intime for the SB just like last year? As fan I am saying yes!

I know this is about Smith, and he played awesome, but Frenchy proved that his int last week was no fluke. That was a great route read by him, also way to punch out the ball deep in our territory!

Harlan Huckleby
12-13-2011, 09:30 AM
wouldn't misunderestimating him mean that the qb actually didn't underestimate him?

I think Hoosier was just making a fuuny word. At least that's the line I'd take if I were him.

Harlan Huckleby
12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
I would love to see Smith be the player to put Hawk on the bench

I want to see Francois start playing on passing downs, that will help team more, me thinks. Maybe Smith can earn starting job eventually. That will take a camp battle.

Deputy Nutz
12-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I think this injury to Hawk might have been the best thing to happen to him this season. He was playing pretty poor. He was missing too many tackles and not getting off of blocks quick enough. If Bishop can't return this week it will be interesting to see the combination of Hawk and Smith with Hawk wearing the headset. It might free Smith up to make even more plays. Smith and Bishop both play the inside position that is asked to blitz and run free to make plays. Hawk takes the brunt of the blockers and is asked to clean things up. Hawk in a sense has more responsiblity but less playmaking responsiblity. Hawk certainly does need to play better, but I can't in good faith claim that Francois or Smith is a better football player that Hawk. Two games, failing grade in one game passing grade in another. Francois tackles like shit, decent against the Raiders in coverage, but very poor against the Giants.

Deputy Nutz
12-13-2011, 10:22 AM
I want to see Francois start playing on passing downs, that will help team more, me thinks. Maybe Smith can earn starting job eventually. That will take a camp battle.

He does play on passing downs, very rarely do they take out linebackers in Dom Capers nickle package.

ThunderDan
12-13-2011, 10:43 AM
DJ Smith will take Bishops spot not Hawk's in the defense if he stays permenantly.

hoosier
12-13-2011, 11:10 AM
I think Hoosier was just making a fuuny word. At least that's the line I'd take if I were him.

But it loses something when you have to explain it! Of course (note to self) it is also possible it never had it to lose in the first place.

Zool
12-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Might be kinda early to compare him after only a few games but DJ Smith reminds me a lot of London Fletcher.

I thought that same thing this weekend. They play a lot alike. That would really be a find if he turned out that good.

Fritz
12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
It would not surprise me to see Hawk return and play much better than he has been this week.

Nothing like your understudy turning in a very good performance to tweak your sub-conscious into pushing a little more.

Brandon494
12-13-2011, 11:59 AM
It would not surprise me to see Hawk return and play much better than he has been this week.

Nothing like your understudy turning in a very good performance to tweak your sub-conscious into pushing a little more.

I hope so, I hear Hawk was pretty mad about not playing in the Raiders game after they told him he would.

Tarlam!
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM

I hope you're right. I want the Hawk back that took over the reigns from Barnett and played like a man possessed. Prolly a good thing M3 sat him and didn't have him play 30 snaps as originally planned. Prolly better, that he witnessed the backups playing so soundly.

Deputy Nutz
12-13-2011, 02:27 PM
This isn't some JV team. Hawk wasn't upset because he thought he was going to lose his job if he didn't play in the second half, he was upset because he doesn't like sitting on the sideline. Hawk isn't going to lose his job to Francois. Like Thunderdan said, Smith plays Bishops position in the 3-4 not hawks.

smuggler
12-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Except Francois is proving to be our best cover backer, so he could end up taking snaps from Hawk on 3rd and long.

Smidgeon
12-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Except Francois is proving to be our best cover backer, so he could end up taking snaps from Hawk on 3rd and long.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sold on this idea yet.

Brandon494
12-13-2011, 08:08 PM
http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/hawk-has-good-reason-to-be-upset

By Aaron Nagler on Dec 13, 2011

A.J. Hawk apparently let his head coach know that he wasn't thrilled that he didn't get to play in Sunday's game against the Raiders. Mike McCarthy made light of the situation in his press conference yesterday, but for Hawk it is no laughing matter.

Why? Because he's watching a rookie play, and play quite well, in his place. In fact that rookie, D.J. Smith, seems to be improving with every snap he takes. While it's true that Robert Farncois will most likely come off the field when Hawk returns, it can't be denied that Smith is the best linebacker on the bench on this team - and maybe he shouldn't be on the bench.

One of the worries heading into the game against the Giants last week was determining which defenders would be tasked with wearing the defensive headset. Smith has not only taken over Hawk's duties of relaying the defensive calls, the rookie is playing at a high level while doing so. Smith was everywhere on Sunday, leading the team in tackles and making a big play by intercepting Carson Palmer on the Raiders' opening drive.

Big plays have been few and far between for Hawk and his perceived value has been the fact that he gets guys in the right place, makes sure the defense is never too high or low, and is generally assignment-sure. His teammates have credited his steady demeanor for keeping them focused, even after giving up big plays. It's no surprise then that the Packers signed Hawk to a five-year, $33.75 million contract this past offseason. But the more Smith plays, and the better he looks, the harder it will be to keep him off the field, even when Hawk comes back healthy.

The Packers probably waited too long to get Desmond Bishop on the field in favor of previous starter Nick Barnett. Hawk can see how well Smith is playing and certainly doesn't want the rookie giving the coaches any reason to revisit how they waited too long to get Bishop on the field.

pbmax
12-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sold on this idea yet.

There is no reason to write it in stone, but he gives them an option that perhaps doesn't exist with Hawk, Bishop or Smith. McGinn dinged him for being a step behind a couple of times, so he is not bulletproof, but he can make a play on the ball. I like to see hi get a chance, even if all it led to was spot assignments versus certain players at certain down and distances.

George Cumby
12-13-2011, 08:47 PM

I seem to remember Hawk being torqued about not playing much in the Philly(?) game in 2010 and responding well to that slight.

Fritz
12-14-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm not saying Hawk needs a snub as motivation - he's a pro. But I do think that subconsciously, people do respond to seeing others do well in their place. If I see a guy being especially nice to my girl, I'm going to spiff up my game, even if I treat her well anyway.

Deputy Nutz
12-14-2011, 07:54 AM

He intercepted two passes by being in the right spot and we are ready to annoint him the "best". Packerfans you gotta love them. I remember him having a hell of a bad week in coverage against the Giants, but I guess even the best have an off night.

pbmax
12-14-2011, 08:39 AM
He intercepted two passes by being in the right spot and we are ready to annoint him the "best". Packerfans you gotta love them. I remember him having a hell of a bad week in coverage against the Giants, but I guess even the best have an off night.

Having bad coverage versus TEs is nothing new for the Packers. Making a play when in position, that is new.

Player Ints Games
Desmond Bishop 0 11
AJ Hawk 0 11
Robert Francois 2 2

He might be terrible. He can't be worse.

mraynrand
12-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Overall, he didn't have a good game, but he did have his hands on a pick covering the TE. The guy has coverage skills. perhaps he is just raw as all hell, but ability is ability. We know what the Packers have in Hawk and it ain't all that good.

mraynrand
12-14-2011, 09:05 AM
I seem to remember Hawk being torqued about not playing much in the Philly(?) game in 2010 and responding well to that slight.

Opening game. Yup, he wasn't happy. Hawk had reasonable coverage skills in 2007. That injury in 2008 seemed to kill anything he had left.

RashanGary
12-14-2011, 09:33 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing some 2-5-4 (base/nickle) hybrid with Fancois and/or Smith in there from time to time.

RashanGary
12-14-2011, 09:34 AM
MM said he had more playmaking ability than he's given credit for.

Upnorth
12-14-2011, 09:37 AM

Not to pile on, but who is playing better TE coverage on our team right now? Two games does not make a player, but if he keeps up his level of play I will be happy with Frenchy.

Tarlam!
12-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Bishop gets scorched by TEs. He's just too slow to run with them.

JH, your 2-5-4 idea you mentioned on another thread already. A poster replied, the opposition would run the ball down the Packers throats all day. I didn't see you reply and don't remember what thread it was.

Zool
12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

I was actually wondering what this says about the sorry state of affairs with the Packer LB corps but then I remembered I've complaining for 3-4 years about TE's eating up the Packer D.

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Hold on there, deputy. frenchy had trouble in coverage against Giants, but no worse than we've seen all year from position. McGinn made comment to that effect. The frenchman is seeing his first extensive playing time, you can expect him to get better, maybe we saw that last Sunday. The ints were not routine, they were athletic plays that Hawk lacks the agility to make. I say Francois is now the top coverage ILB, we'll see.

Finally, until Hawk starts playing like Clay Mathews, or at least as well as Brian Robison or Josh Sitton, he needs to get a hair cut.

mraynrand
12-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Finally, until Hawk starts playing like Clay Mathews, or at least as well as Brian Robison or Josh Sitton, he needs to get a hair cut.

If Hawk kicks you in the nuts, can he keep his long hair?

Deputy Nutz
12-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Well I guess if Harlan says it is true because Bob McGinn wrote it, then it must be true.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 12:04 PM
You don't have to believe me or McGinn. What do you say. Do you think Hawk as been good in coverage? Do you see Francois as a step down? I think you got nothing. At least Francois looks more agile back there.

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM
You don't have to believe me or McGinn. What do you say. Do you think Hawk as been good in coverage? Do you see Francois as a step down? I think you got nothing. At least Francois looks more agile back there.

The Giants and Raiders don't exactly have speedsters at the TE position. It's not like Francois was covering Jimmy Graham, Greg Olsen, Kellen Winslow, Antonio Gates, or even a wily vet like Tony Gonzalez.

RashanGary
12-15-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't think teams would run it down our throat in 2-5-4 base. We played 2-4-5 nickle last year and stopped the run. Walden and Matthews are LB/DE combos. Neither Bishop or Hawk are finesse players. Smith plays pretty tough. If Smith is as bright as he's given credit, Hawk is pretty bright too, they might play some decent interior zone defense along with being able to stop the run.

It's just a wrinkle. It's not like we play 1 defense.

KYPack
12-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Check out LeRoy Butler's X's and O's video on JSO.

He covers RF's pick in depth. He makes the statement that Francois made the pick that Hawk would not have made. His point is Francois's wingspan makes him valuable in a red zone cover. LeRoy also makes the point that Hawk's smarts and quickness make him the better backer, but that Francois will get reps when the Pack defends in the red zone.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Check out LeRoy Butler's X's and O's video on JSO.

He covers RF's pick in depth. He makes the statement that Francois made the pick that Hawk would not have made. His point is Francois's wingspan makes him valuable in a red zone cover. LeRoy also makes the point that Hawk's smarts and quickness make him the better backer, but that Francois will get reps when the Pack defends in the red zone.

your check is in the mail, KY

KYPack
12-15-2011, 09:57 PM
your check is in the mail, KY

Oh fuck.

I agree with Harlan in two threads.

I must be wrong somehow.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 09:59 PM
don't think of it as agreeing with me. think of it as sticking it to that irritating Deputy Nutz guy.

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 12:08 PM
don't think of it as agreeing with me. think of it as sticking it to that irritating Deputy Nutz guy.

Nutz is a gadfly after your own heart.

Harlan Huckleby
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
he irritates in a good way, like spanish fly

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDsa4uDM3zU