PDA

View Full Version : Must Watch McCarthy Video: Priceless

pbmax
12-13-2011, 12:15 AM
This is today's press conference, the announcement of Jennings prognosis. After the statement and answering a couple of questions, McCarthy catches all the reporters staring at their phones, furiously thumb typing. And the coach proves social media has penetrated the bunker (start at :50 if you are in a hurry):

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/McCarthy-Jennings-out-a-couple-of-weeks/f4f738a0-4d10-4f1b-8ae9-1ceba72dc59e

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/CoachM.png

Guiness
12-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Ok, that's pretty funny.

Wow do I not get the attraction of tweeting. I thought it was ridiculous when it came out, and the idea of following someone's twitter feed, following their stream of consiousnous is just a little too close to a cult of personality for me!

I just went and checked good ol' Kim K's feed. Let's see, her last few tweets were:
-Soooo proud of you @lorenridinger (http://twitter.com/lorenridinger) you are doing so amazing!
-11:11 make a wish!
-Sometimes ice cream makes it all better ;-)

That's some shit I can live without.

Little Whiskey
12-13-2011, 08:39 AM
I can see how it works for Journalists. by the time they get our of that press conference, GJ out 2-3 weeks would have been old news.

retailguy
12-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Tweeting is the second most important invention since the internet. Except for the iphone of course. Everybody knows that. Well, they should anyhow.

/sarcasm

Listening to the key clicking is so painful I almost can't watch the videos anymore. I've never been to the twitter site, and don't have a reason to go there. God, what a waste of time.

Guiness
12-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Only reason I'd been there before was for topless pictures of a near 50yr old Demi Moore :-P

Little Whiskey
12-13-2011, 09:13 AM
www.twitter.com/shitmydadsays

isn't bad. it was successful enough to help the author get a book deal and a sitcom on TV staring William Shatner. I can't speak for the book or the show, but the shit he posts on there is pretty funny!

Pugger
12-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Tweeting is the second most important invention since the internet. Except for the iphone of course. Everybody knows that. Well, they should anyhow.

/sarcasm

Listening to the key clicking is so painful I almost can't watch the videos anymore. I've never been to the twitter site, and don't have a reason to go there. God, what a waste of time.

I don't twitter nor am I on facebook. My life isn't that interesting to the masses...

George Cumby
12-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't twitter nor am I on facebook. My life isn't that interesting to the masses...

Right. You, me everyone on this board, hell, just about everyone on the planet. Who gives a fuck if you're eating ice-cream?

It's symptomatic of the celebrity culture, rampant societal narcissism, the "oooh, look at me! I should be rewarded for existing!"/everyone is special mindset.

Twitter. Whatever.

Fritz
12-13-2011, 11:47 AM
But if you can get shots of Demi Moore or maybe Kim Kardashian topless, maybe it's not all bad.

Tarlam!
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Ok, that's pretty funny.

Wow do I not get the attraction of tweeting. I thought it was ridiculous when it came out, and the idea of following someone's twitter feed, following their stream of consiousnous is just a little too close to a cult of personality for me!

What Guin said

gbgary
12-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Ok, that's pretty funny.

Wow do I not get the attraction of tweeting.

it's instant information. that's all it is to me. occasionally i'll ask a question of someone and sometimes actually get an answer. he saw those guys tweeting...that goes out right then and there to anyone following that reporter or organization.

mission
12-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, twitter sucks. It's horrible to find out about stuff before anyone else (not on twitter).

It's not for YOU to post that you're taking a shit. It's for you to catch up on breaking news on topics you've chosen WHILE you're taking a shit.

No one will follow you accept people you know personally -- who don't want to follow you -- but feel obligated because they know you.
It's to follow news sources, players, handicappers, funny people and the like.

You guys must have flip phones, non-HD TVs and CRT computer monitors too. Welcome to 1999.

mission
12-13-2011, 03:01 PM
my favorite follow:

www.twitter.com/dadboner

character development at its very finest. literary genius.

swede
12-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, twitter sucks. It's horrible to find out about stuff before anyone else (not on twitter).

It's not for YOU to post that you're taking a shit. It's for you to catch up on breaking news on topics you've chosen WHILE you're taking a shit.

No one will follow you accept people you know personally -- who don't want to follow you -- but feel obligated because they know you.

You guys must have flip phones, non-HD TVs and CRT computer monitors too. Welcome to 1999.

Flip phone? Why upgrade when mine is working so well.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cHzp7qxaqJ4/S_f9d7EIpyI/AAAAAAAAARk/Gt0TtyA9x-0/s1600/nokia_3210.jpg

mission
12-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Ok, that's pretty funny.

I just went and checked good ol' Kim K's feed. Let's see, her last few tweets were:
-Soooo proud of you @lorenridinger (http://twitter.com/lorenridinger) you are doing so amazing!
-11:11 make a wish!
-Sometimes ice cream makes it all better ;-)

So you wouldn't follow her in this case then.

LP
12-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Neither is anyone else's, but that doesn't stop 'em.

mission
12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Neither is anyone else's, but that doesn't stop 'em.

Most people don't tweet much at all unless they're asking someone a direct question.

retailguy
12-13-2011, 03:46 PM

So, basically, if I disagree with you, that means that I'm not "current" with the times. There is no possibility that you're wrong then, and I must be?

Gotcha... (and I disagree)

mission
12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
So, basically, if I disagree with you, that means that I'm not "current" with the times. There is no possibility that you're wrong then, and I must be?

Gotcha... (and I disagree)

Your disagreement is based on misinformation. You don't understand the premise of twitter and without that understanding, cannot grasp its value. So um, you're right -- there's no possibility that I'm wrong. It's the fastest source of news information. That's proven and not open to debate.

I didn't say you had to like twitter. You don't have to like the internet either. Or getting email on your phone. Or heck, even having the ability to call someone with a device in your pocket. You're allowed to prefer rotary dial phones also. You shouldn't get offended by me telling you that you're not current... you've chosen that.

Twitter is not a different form of Facebook. I cannot defend Facebook -- I don't personally like it and have no reason to want to share my personal business.

pbmax
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Some Twitter accounts are funny to read. Conan is good, but some, including some good comedians, use it only as a marketing exercise, which is the Twitter equivalent of ads on TV and radio. Louis CK is great fun to listen to but his Twitter account is a disaster.

I follow only the Packer writers, Football Outsiders, Advanced NFL Stats and Haudricourt on Twitter (Haudricourt picks fights with people, it can be pretty entertaining). The information shared, as Mission talked about is fantastic and impossible to get in one place. To get it almost immediately is icing on the cake. But it comes with a price. Wilde Tweets about family stuff more than Packers and all the writers post the information first, then post again with a link to the story they just wrote about the information they just Tweeted.

mission
12-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Some Twitter accounts are funny to read. Conan is good, but some, including some good comedians, use it only as a marketing exercise, which is the Twitter equivalent of ads on TV and radio. Louis CK is great fun to listen to but his Twitter account is a disaster.

I follow only the Packer writers, Football Outsiders, Advanced NFL Stats and Haudricourt on Twitter (Haudricourt picks fights with people, it can be pretty entertaining). The information shared, as Mission talked about is fantastic and impossible to get in one place. To get it almost immediately is icing on the cake. But it comes with a price. Wilde Tweets about family stuff more than Packers and all the writers post the information first, then post again with a link to the story they just wrote about the information they just Tweeted.

Wilde blocked me because I questioned something he wrote and all he could muster up was "you're really something else aren't you?" ... never called him an idiot or used curse words or anything. I loved him for his access to the team but his football opinion got pretty old after awhile. I'm doing ok without him. :lol:

For comedy, I try to stay away from the actual comedians (they try too hard). There are some really good parody accounts out there and like I mentioned before, @Dadboner is literary gold if you spend some time reading it. @TheFakeESPN, @FauxJohnMadden, and @PeytonsHead are all pretty good most of the time.

I knew Jennings was out 2-3 weeks as soon as the beat writers did -- there was no audio at the press conference when it was viewed live. Happened to see Harrison got suspended while I was standing in line waiting for lunch next to a Steelers fan (had a jacket on)... was able to strike up a good conversation with him based on the news. He was blown away and didn't think a suspension was going to get handed down.

I was not one of the early twitter adopters... just signed up this year or late last, but I'm glad I did. Pick the topics you're interested in, find people that tweet about it and interact as much or as little with them as you wish. It's an incredible service and the reason many big shots, who have never embraced any form of social media before, are on twitter. Hell, old John Clayton finally got an account.

Pugger
12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
But if you can get shots of Demi Moore or maybe Kim Kardashian topless, maybe it's not all bad.

That wouldn't do it for me. ;-)

Pugger
12-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Our desktop monitor died the other day so we purchased a 20" HDTV and are using it as our monitor. Once this PC goes to heaven we'll get a laptop (and join the rest of the 21st century) and then have a small TV that I can put in the kitchen or lanai.

Guiness
12-13-2011, 06:36 PM
You make some good points mission, and when you put it that way, maybe it wouldn't hurt.

The "shit my dad says" is pretty much a perfect example. Intermittent one liners, nothing trimmed or that needs to be added later, the way pbmax says all the sports writers follow up a tweet with...a tweet about where to find out more about what they just tweeted about!

I viewed primarily as celebrities posting their stream of consciousness. I don't need to hear anybody else's, I've got a 9yr old girl here who does a pretty good job of letting me know what's on her mind every 15 seconds without my having to go looking for it. But as a news source, maybe it's not so bad. I like reading the ticker at the bottom of the screen, and maybe this is the same thing.

As far as me not being up on 'technology' that's a pretty funny statement, if you knew me a bit better!

MJZiggy
12-13-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't think Twitter is inherently bad. I'm in charge of the work Twitter account and it is a good way to engage with clients and colleagues. You allow yourself to become part of the conversation. I follow the money. Remember, Arab Spring all started on Twitter. It can be very powerful when used effectively, but I really don't think Kim has a grip on it. Then again, I still haven't figured out why she's famous.

That said, my personal Twitter account is a bunch of football players a couple of journalists and Good, because they promised a positive news story every day. On a personal level, I just don't have that much to say and I don't collect followers on a personal or professional level.

mission
12-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I viewed primarily as celebrities posting their stream of consciousness. I don't need to hear anybody else's, I've got a 9yr old girl here who does a pretty good job of letting me know what's on her mind every 15 seconds without my having to go looking for it. But as a news source, maybe it's not so bad. I like reading the ticker at the bottom of the screen, and maybe this is the same thing.

That's what kept me off twitter for so long too. Beauty of the system is that there is a lot of teeny-bopper crap on there but it's setup so you never have to experience it if you choose. Myspace and all that had so many ads and diversions that it was quickly obvious they had a target market.

As much as I like being able to follow Packers players, they're probably the ones that contribute the worst content. You follow them trying to get a better idea of who the person is, but some of them tweet so much crap you have to unfollow. It's usually the practice squad guys who you learn to unfollow eventually (Shaky Smithson is the alltime worst)... they haven't learned how to be professionals yet. In the adult world of twitter, it's understood that tweeting too much is a bad thing ... people don't want to lose followers and will usually stay on point so as not to dirty up the followers "timeline".

Follow people and their tweets (posts) will come up on one single page. Realize you don't like their stuff showing up on your timeline? Unfollow them. It's a very simple interface, you don't have to jump around trying to make all your visits. That's why it's such a great app for your phone. You can even separate your follows into lists. So if you just want to read Packers-designated tweets you can do that. I have Packers, Baseball, Poker, Comedy, Friends.

And trust me, I know about 9 year old girls -- my step daughter turned 10 on Saturday and it's ridiculous how every menial thought comes out of her mouth. My wife wants to pull her hair out trying to put a filter on it. There's no way I'd want to subject myself to more of that nonsense.