PDA

View Full Version : Gurley turns down Vikings to stay on Packers practice squad

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Nice.

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/12/15/gurley-turns-down-vikings-to-stay-on-packers-practice-squad/

Rookie receiver Tori Gurley turned down an offer earlier this week to sign with the Minnesota Vikings to instead stay on the Packers’ practice squad.

The Vikings offered him a spot on their active roster.

Gurley, who has been on the practice squad all season, said the Packers offered him a raise.

“If you look statistically, their season is going to be over in three weeks,” Gurley said of the Vikings. “We’re already locked to have a playoff spot.”

Gurley, an undrafted free agent from South Carolina, said he has had other calls this season from teams who have expressed an interest in signing him to their active roster but has turned them down.

“I’m learning from some of the best receivers in the game right now,” Gurley said. “The way our offense is clicking, the grass isn’t going to be greener on the other side. So just learning and taking it one day at a time, my opportunity is going to come.”

The Packers chose not to add a receiver to the 53-man roster this week even after Greg Jennings sustained a knee injury against the Raiders last Sunday. Jennings will most likely miss the remainder of the regular season but is expected to return for the playoffs.

However, there could be an opportunity for Gurley with the Packers next season, considering veteran receiver Donald Driver, at age 36, might be nearing the end of his career.

smuggler
12-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Gurley is the shit. He can hang around as long as he wants.

Brandon494
12-15-2011, 03:39 PM
The Vikings always trying to get our players, I'm glad the guy saw the bigger picture and stayed.

Fritz
12-15-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't know how the guy translates into an NFL wide receiver - I'm always a little suspect of practice squad guys - but still, I'm glad.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
cut his ass. any guy who turns down game day checks - bigger than his annual salary - to sit on a practice squad is dumber than a box of rocks. He is a danger to himself and the packer organization.

smuggler
12-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Don't forget he gets extra pay for every week of practice the Packers have in the post season!

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Don't forget he gets extra pay for every week of practice the Packers have in the post season!

yes, and every practice squad player gets a turkey at christmas time.

This was Gurley's shot to get on an active roster. He's not Jerry Rice, who knows if he'll get another opportunity. Guys like him come and go at receiver position.

Brandon494
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
If Harlan disagrees then it seems the guy made the right choice. :)

jdrats
12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Gotta say, can't argue with Gurley on this one. I'm sure his dream is to play on a Professional Football team, so why in the world would he go to the Vikings?!

Joemailman
12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
cut his ass. any guy who turns down game day checks - bigger than his annual salary - to sit on a practice squad is dumber than a box of rocks. He is a danger to himself and the packer organization.

The ring he'll get at the end of the season will be worth more than the money he would have made with the Vikings.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 04:43 PM
If Harlan disagrees then it seems the guy made the right choice. :)

wipe that shit-eating grin off your face. when hurley loses his practice squad perch in off season, and a new crop of fresh-faced wannabes rotate in, he can come live at your house.

MJZiggy
12-15-2011, 04:43 PM
He seems to value the learning opportunity and attitude in GB more than being a game day inactive. The knowledge could affect his whole career garnering him millions of dollars in extra pay over the life of his career. There's also the possibility of getting a SB ring out of it which is better than a Christmas turkey. I don't blame the kid. He's in a good spot with opportunity around the corner. Besides, if other teams have come acalling this year, they will be back next year if he doesn't make GB's 53 then.

Joemailman
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
wipe that shit-eating grin off your face. when hurley loses his practice squad perch in off season, and a new crop of fresh-faced wannabes rotate in, he can come live at your house.

What's the matter? Someone piss on your Kibbles 'N' Bits?

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
He seems to value the learning opportunity and attitude in GB more than being a game day inactive. The knowledge could affect his whole career garnering him millions of dollars in extra pay over the life of his career. There's also the possibility of getting a SB ring out of it which is better than a Christmas turkey. I don't blame the kid. He's in a good spot with opportunity around the corner. Besides, if other teams have come acalling this year, they will be back next year if he doesn't make GB's 53 then.
you can't say they will come acallin. this is a bird in the hand.

He has more opportunity to play on vikes than he will ever see at G.B. Learning experiences are available on any NFL team. Who wants a SB ring from team you don't play on?

This is a collossal mistake - unless he has some sort of understanding with TT.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
What's the matter? Someone piss on your Kibbles 'N' Bits?

this is one of those heart-warming stories, I know. but the fans in this thread are putting sentiment ahead of clear thought.

I've never heard of any practice squad player turning down a roster spot. that's crazy.

sheepshead
12-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Packer People

jdrats
12-15-2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think it's crazy at all. There was an article earlier this year about how impresed the coaching staff has been with Gurley and how far he has come. If he has a reasonable expectation of making the roster next year I can certainly understand not throwing it away for three weeks with the Vikings. Further, he could very well be next-man-up if there are any more injuries to Packer WRs. Most players never have a chance to play for a top-flight organization like the current Packers, and if he leaves, that chance might never come again. Factor in a chance to contribute to a Superbowl contender either in practice or possibly even on the field, and it seems pretty reasonable to me to stand pat.

MadScientist
12-15-2011, 05:16 PM
this is one of those heart-warming stories, I know. but the fans in this thread are putting sentiment ahead of clear thought.

I've never heard of any practice squad player turning down a roster spot. that's crazy.

Matt Hasslebeck did. He was on the Packers PS for a year, and the Bears came calling, even saying he would start. Instead he stayed with the Packers, because he didn't want to leave a good learning environment for the mess that was the Bears.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/09/21/hasselbeck-turned-down-bears-for-packers-practice-squad/

MJZiggy
12-15-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't think it's crazy at all. There was an article earlier this year about how impresed the coaching staff has been with Gurley and how far he has come. If he has a reasonable expectation of making the roster next year I can certainly understand not throwing it away for three weeks with the Vikings. Further, he could very well be next-man-up if there are any more injuries to Packer WRs. Most players never have a chance to play for a top-flight organization like the current Packers, and if he leaves, that chance might never come again. Factor in a chance to contribute to a Superbowl contender either in practice or possibly even on the field, and it seems pretty reasonable to me to stand pat.

They did give him a raise too, so you don't know how much less money he's making than a Vikings receiver.

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2011, 05:22 PM

This was Gurley's shot to get on an active roster. He's not Jerry Rice, who knows if he'll get another opportunity. Guys like him come and go at receiver position.

Actually, I think you can pay PS players varying salaries. I thought I read that when Harrell was promoted from the PS his salary only doubled. Maybe they have something similar with Gurley. Six games at a certain salary is equivalent to three games at double that salary. Plus, he has a shot at a Super Bowl ring and can get better coaching. He might not be as dumb as you think.

Here's the note on Harrell's contract:

Harrell got other practice squad offers but accepted a souped-up practice squad salary of $12,500 per week from the Packers. Now that he's on the 53-man roster his pay increases to $22,059 per week.

Harrell was getting paid around $200,000 sitting on the PS (not counting playoff money).

jdrats
12-15-2011, 05:30 PM
"...the grass isn’t going to be greener on the other side. So just learning and taking it one day at a time, my opportunity is going to come.”

This seems like a very mature statement to me. I have a lot of respect for his decision.

Upnorth
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Gotta say, can't argue with Gurley on this one. I'm sure his dream is to play on a Professional Football team, so why in the world would he go to the Vikings?!

Its funny because its true.

Pugger
12-15-2011, 05:56 PM

:lol:

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Matt Hasslebeck did. He was on the Packers PS for a year, and the Bears came calling, even saying he would start. Instead he stayed with the Packers, because he didn't want to leave a good learning environment for the mess that was the Bears.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/09/21/hasselbeck-turned-down-bears-for-packers-practice-squad/

OK, Hasslebeck was QB on fast-track rise. Hurley is a scrub, and only the third-best scrub to be cut by Packers last summer.

How all you sentimentalists can't see that Hurley has better opportunities to stick on Vikes thin roster is beyond me.

I guess there must be more to this story than we know.

RashanGary
12-15-2011, 06:58 PM
OK, Hasslebeck was QB on fast-track rise. Hurley is a scrub, and only the third-best scrub to be cut by Packers last summer.

How all you sentimentalists can't see that Hurley has better opportunities to stick on Vikes thin roster is beyond me.

You've just jumped the shark.

mission
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM

No player on the PS is on the fast-track rise. We know everything we need to know about the story and most of us get it. You're factoring your perception of his chances on sticking with the Packers. Calling him a scrub -- which he might be, but we don't really know -- is keeping you from getting it.

It's like this is his make or break moment and he turned it down. The kid is making informed decisions with the leadership of his agent. He gets it. He's not just hoping some day the Packers give him a shot; he has all the information at his disposal as well as his own perception on how he's developing with the team and where they see him in the future. They were willing to give him a raise to stick around. Most people here tell their boss they're going to leave for more money, their boss will say "ok, good luck" ... not, "oh please, here's more we want you to stay, you're important here".

Plus, he plays WR and has a quarterback named Aaron Rodgers. Your career projection is probably higher on this side of the fence even if it has to start later.

Joemailman
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM

I'm guessing he doesn't think much of the Vikings organization. They haven't exactly been a model of stability the last couple of years.

gbgary
12-15-2011, 07:45 PM
there's a roster spot about to open on the bears.

LOL!!

Tarlam!
12-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Plus, he plays WR and has a quarterback named Aaron Rodgers. Your career projection is probably higher on this side of the fence even if it has to start later.

THIS!

Plus, he saw Iinley get IRed and 27 other guys last year. We hear the verbage about Jennings, but if one more WR goes down, he's getting promoted. There is no shame in being the 6th best WR on this team. He is increasing his value by staying put. And, it is a Packer Person statement which, as an NFL owner, I love to hear!

Harlan, you are just pulling everyone's chain on this thread.

KYPack
12-15-2011, 09:06 PM
THIS!

Plus, he saw Iinley get IRed and 27 other guys last year. We hear the verbage about Jennings, but if one more WR goes down, he's getting promoted. There is no shame in being the 6th best WR on this team. He is increasing his value by staying put. And, it is a Packer Person statement which, as an NFL owner, I love to hear!

Harlan, you are just pulling everyone's chain on this thread.

I'm sure that's the case.

Also, I call bullshit. If the Vikes promoted him to their active roster, he'd be on a regular season roster for 3 games. That means you get a whole season credit towards your pension.

There is NO WAY a scrubeenie like Gurley could turn that down. TT, God, Murphy or somebody has had to make this kid some kind of assurances. Just upping his PS salary would not compensate him sufficently. One qualifying season for the NFL pension plan and 3 full game checks at the NFL minimum is worth a lot more than a bump to his PS check.

George Cumby
12-15-2011, 09:28 PM
It's his life. He's learning from some of the best in the business in a first class organization which has a very good record as a meritocracy

DD's long in the tooth.

We are not privy to the conversations he's having with coaching staff and other players.

Training camp phenom IIRC.

Lots of factors here to consider. Many of which we can't figure into our calculus.

Besides, it's the Vikings.

gbgary
12-15-2011, 09:35 PM
It's his life. He's learning from some of the best in the business in a first class organization which has a very good record as a meritocracy

DD's long in the tooth.

We are not privy to the conversations he's having with coaching staff and other players.

Training camp phenom IIRC.

Lots of factors here to consider. Many of which we can't figure into our calculus.

Besides, it's the Vikings.

they're about to let finley walk too.

Tarlam!
12-15-2011, 09:35 PM
meritocracy

I learned something today. Great word.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 09:42 PM
TT, God, Murphy or somebody has had to make this kid some kind of assurances. Just upping his PS salary would not compensate him sufficently.

Right.

Harlan Huckleby
12-15-2011, 09:51 PM
He is not established enough to be picky about who he plays with.
IF, and that's a big if, DD doesn't come back for another season, he'll be fighting with about 5 guys for one job. GB is not the land of opportunity for a long-shot wide receiver. His odds of making team in MN are massively better.

Look, I'm only arguing about the facts we know, as I said before, there is quite possibly more to story. But the numbskulls talking about an honorary Super Bowl ring, and Hurley staying because of his "packer people" high character are all wet.

George Cumby
12-15-2011, 10:07 PM
they're about to let finley walk too.

hehehe

MadtownPacker
12-15-2011, 10:26 PM
You sure cuz it sounds like that is pretty much what he did. Maybe the vikings wouldn't give him two lockers?

Upnorth
12-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I heard he doesn't want to live in LA.

RashanGary
12-15-2011, 11:16 PM
IF, and that's a big if, DD doesn't come back for another season, he'll be fighting with about 5 guys for one job. GB is not the land of opportunity for a long-shot wide receiver. His odds of making team in MN are massively better.

Look, I'm only arguing about the facts we know, as I said before, there is quite possibly more to story. But the numbskulls talking about an honorary Super Bowl ring, and Hurley staying because of his "packer people" high character are all wet.

The Packers gave him a raise. For all you know, it could be equal to a minimum deal with Minny. He's not going to get a year accrued for 3 games. What benefit does he have? If he stays here, he's working with the best of the best of the best. The Packers have what looks to be one of the best off season programs in the NFL. He's going to get to work with MM, AR and GJ (all masters at their craft and all big parts of teaching Gurly to be an NFL WR.)

It's like choosing to stay in school to get your masters even though you have to take out loans. It's a risk, but he knows this is the place to study if he wants to be a pro.

I see your point, just not to the degree.

Someone must have forgotten to tell you that everything that feels good isn't necessarily bad. Sure, often times people get confused with those silly emotions, but it's like you go searching for reasons to invalidate people for their idiotic heart-lead retardism. Get over it, douche bag.

HarveyWallbangers
12-15-2011, 11:48 PM

If he's good enough to play in the NFL, he'll play in the NFL. In Green Bay or elsewhere. Maybe he'll join the Vikings for a full season after we cut him next training camp. Either way, the money could be a wash--which makes his decision reasonable.

mission
12-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Fair enough. Wrong or right, he obviously feels he's going to make the roster at some point in the not to distant future.

jdrats
12-16-2011, 06:34 AM
There's nothing "honorary" about a Superbowl ring for practice squad players. They are an important part of the team.

I would agree with you Harlan if this was, say, week 3, rather than 3 weeks remaining.

Plus, it'll make the "Should TT keep Driver?" discussions this summer much more lively!

Bretsky
12-16-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm glad Harlan is opposed to this; he's already been right once this year so it's crystal clear that Gurley is making the right call by not going to crappy situations and staying where he thinks the grass will be greener for his future :)

bobblehead
12-16-2011, 07:51 AM

If teams are looking at him now, they will be in the off season. He is absolutely making the right career choice to continue his training. Going to another team now and trying to learn another offense and starting over only to HOPE they give him a fair chance to make the squad next year isn't wise. He will have the same opportunity to start next season.

KYPack
12-16-2011, 08:22 AM
The Packers gave him a raise. For all you know, it could be equal to a minimum deal with Minny. He's not going to get a year accrued for 3 games. What benefit does he have? If he stays here, he's working with the best of the best of the best. The Packers have what looks to be one of the best off season programs in the NFL. He's going to get to work with MM, AR and GJ (all masters at their craft and all big parts of teaching Gurly to be an NFL WR.)

It's like choosing to stay in school to get your masters even though you have to take out loans. It's a risk, but he knows this is the place to study if he wants to be a pro.

I see your point, just not to the degree.

Someone must have forgotten to tell you that everything that feels good isn't necessarily bad. Sure, often times people get confused with those silly emotions, but it's like you go searching for reasons to invalidate people for their idiotic heart-lead retardism. Get over it, douche bag.

Yes, you do accrue a year if you are on the active roster for 3 games. That's what makes this whole deal amazing. He's turning his back on a year in the NFLPA pension plan.

This might be the first truly altruistic thing I've seen a person do all year and it's almost over!

But I doubt it.

CaliforniaCheez
12-16-2011, 08:38 AM
If the report is really true, it is extremely stupid of the viklings (nothing new). They wait to try after Jenning injury? This late in the season?

A) Look, there are only 3 weeks of active roster time to offer at approximately 20K a week for a total of 60K. That's all the vikling goatsuckers have to offer for playing with rookie Ponder.

B) If he stayed on the Packers PS he has 3 regular season weeks plus the bye week and divisional round week (5 weeks guaranteed). 4 weeks of normal practice squad money is roughly equal to one week active roster at minimum wage.

1) There is the possibility that if the Packers make the Super Bowl that there will be added time on the practice squad of the conference championship week, the pro bowl week, and then Super Bowl week. So he could have 8 more weeks total on the practice squad (equal to 2 weeks of active roster time).

2) Then there is the possibility of getting on the Packers active squad during the playoffs. $21,000 for the divisional game, $38K for the conference championship game, and $83K for the Super Bowl.

3) Also, there is the Super Bowl Ring worth 10's of thousands of dollars in money and much more in sentimental value.

4) Additionally, in Green Bay Gurley is getting better coaching, and has the chance of making the team even if only through a Driver retirement or injury to another receiver. That means working with the best QB in the NFL.

It did not take that that much of a raise to keep Gurley on the Packers' practice squad.

MadtownPacker
12-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Good breakdown CC.

Zool
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM
But....but...HH said he was wrong and defended his stance with "because I said so thats why". I'm sticking with HH.

MadtownPacker
12-16-2011, 09:38 AM
But....but...HH said he was wrong and defended his stance with "because I said so thats why". I'm sticking with HH.
You know Chata? No well Chata the fuck up because the only way anyone sticks with HH is after sweaty man on man activity (he likes to call it wrastling).

Zool
12-16-2011, 09:39 AM
You know Chata? No well Chata the fuck up because the only way anyone sticks with HH is after sweaty man on man activity (he likes to call it wrastling).

You send me your pics and I'll send you mine.

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 10:30 AM

It's like the guy who stayed on staff at Nintendo instead of 'advancing his career' at Coleco.

The guy at Coleco is still making these:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=486089&stc=1&d=1295539859

RashanGary
12-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Yes, you do accrue a year if you are on the active roster for 3 games. That's what makes this whole deal amazing. He's turning his back on a year in the NFLPA pension plan.

This might be the first truly altruistic thing I've seen a person do all year and it's almost over!

But I doubt it.

Doh!

Well, then he really feels Green Bay is the place for his career to take off, or at least the place to train.

George Cumby
12-16-2011, 11:01 AM
It's like the guy who stayed on staff at Nintendo instead of 'advancing his career' at Coleco.

The guy at Coleco is still making these:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=486089&stc=1&d=1295539859

That thing was AWESOME in it's day.

pbmax
12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Nevermind, thread jumping again.

Though a year toward the pension might be something he misses quite a bit later. But I can see a young guy convinced he will make it.

Harlan Huckleby
12-16-2011, 11:58 AM
If he's good enough to play in the NFL, he'll play in the NFL. There are an awful lot of wide receivers and linebackers who are "good enough" but don't quite make it. Opportinities play a part. After thinking about it, the decision is not so bad as long as he gets the $$$. Being on packers squad is good resume builder.

Harlan Huckleby
12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
There's nothing "honorary" about a Superbowl ring for practice squad players. They are an important part of the team.

your opinion doesn't count until you get yourself an avatar. you're out of uniform, soldier.

gbgary
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
There are an awful lot of wide receivers and linebackers who are "good enough" but don't quite make it. Opportinities play a part. After thinking about it, the decision is not so bad as long as he gets the $$$. Being on packers squad is good resume builder.

it speaks loud. it's a lot better than being on saaaay...den's. :)

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 12:15 PM
your opinion doesn't count until you get yourself an avatar. you're out of uniform, soldier.

you're not complaining, are you?

Patler
12-16-2011, 12:20 PM

But I doubt it.

I don't think it matters much, he will get a credited season this year anyway so long as he otherwise vests in the retirement program (unless it changed in the 2011 CBA). In the previous CBA they provided for practice squad players to earn a maximum of one credited season for retirement if:
- they were on the practice squad for at least 8 weeks in a season without otherwise earning a credited season that year; and
- he otherwise vests in the program.

Only one year can be earned for practice squad participation even if you are on practice squads for more than one season.

If he ends up on a practice squad again next year without otherwise earning a credited season next year, it will cost him a credited season because this year could be a "regular" year and 2012 a practice squad year; but if he earns a "regular" year next year and thereafter he will get a credited year for 2011 anyway.

Upnorth
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=KYPack;640500]TT, God, Murphy or somebody has had to make this kid some kind of assurances. QUOTE]

Maybe he is waiting for denver to call so he can play with he who is TEBOW

Tarlam!
12-16-2011, 12:26 PM
In all this, we haven't mentioned Shaky Stevens once, whom I personally think was stashed to mature another year. Imagine Cobb and a non dropsies Stevens in the return game? That is a double whammy for any kicker/punter to contend with.

And, add Shields' speed and no drops? OMG. That makes for an awesome ST return threat.

It will be a real task to make their roster next seasonon ST's let alone at WR. Heck of a problem to have.

Guiness
12-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Fair enough. Wrong or right, he obviously feels he's going to make the roster at some point in the not to distant future.

I don't know that he necessarily feels he will make GB's roster, but might feel he has a better chance of making someone's roster if he's in their camp (Pack or someone else), or if a team picks him up early if he gets cut during camp.

Chicago's situation isn't great by any means. Martz's offense is pretty strange, doubt he can learn it much. Hanie isn't exactly lighting it up over there. The odds of him actually getting a catch with the offense are probably less than 50%, he'd likely just get some ST reps. Does he play ST?

btw I wonder about the timing of Hurd getting picked up, and the offer being made to Gurley. Pretty close, related?

edit: and you can't tell me the very good chance of getting an SB ring don't affect him!

edit2: lol, Vikings, not Bears! I got mixed up after reading the article about Hasslbeck

Harlan Huckleby
12-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Hanie isn't exactly lighting it up over there.

I think Bears should have picked up McNabb. McNabb played well in his last game, he is better than Mr. Hanie.

Guiness
12-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I think Bears should have picked up McNabb. McNabb played well in his last game, he is better than Mr. Hanie.

depends if the Bares think they have a hope in hell of the playoffs.

With McNabb, there's a slim chance of getting a guy who could help this year, even if he sure didn't look like it in Minnesota. But there's no future in him, so might as well see what Hanie's got in him for next year.

KYPack
12-16-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't think it matters much, he will get a credited season this year anyway so long as he otherwise vests in the retirement program (unless it changed in the 2011 CBA). In the previous CBA they provided for practice squad players to earn a maximum of one credited season for retirement if:
- they were on the practice squad for at least 8 weeks in a season without otherwise earning a credited season that year; and
- he otherwise vests in the program.

Only one year can be earned for practice squad participation even if you are on practice squads for more than one season.

If he ends up on a practice squad again next year without otherwise earning a credited season next year, it will cost him a credited season because this year could be a "regular" year and 2012 a practice squad year; but if he earns a "regular" year next year and thereafter he will get a credited year for 2011 anyway.

Thanks, man. I didn't know PS guys could earn that credit. See, ya learn shit on this forum.

Tarlem, it's Shaky Smithson. You were think of Shadow Stevens, the old DJ.

Have you seen the new CBA? I like to read that stuff and haven't seen boo on it yet.

Patler
12-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks, man. I didn't know PS guys could earn that credit. See, ya learn shit on this forum.

Tarlem, it's Shaky Smithson. You were think of Shadow Stevens, the old DJ.

Have you seen the new CBA? I like to read that stuff and haven't seen boo on it yet.

I haven't seen the new CBA anywhere. Sometimes I find details from it, but haven't found a full copy of it yet. The last CBA was available in several places on-line.

In my posts, I often refer to the old CBA, which I have a copy of, then qualify my statement by "...unless it was changed in the new CBA..." (like I did in my last post). :lol:

But that will work for only so long. :-x

Joemailman
12-16-2011, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers have told Gurley he'll be activated soon. They're down to 4 WR's now, and may want to reduce the number of reps that some of the guys get those last couple of games. Once Bishop is back, I could see Gurley replacing So'oto or Lattimore on the roster.

vince
12-16-2011, 06:54 PM
]Fair enough. Wrong or right, he obviously feels he's going to make the roster at some point in the not to distant future.
I don't know that he necessarily feels he will make GB's roster, but might feel he has a better chance of making someone's roster if he's in their camp (Pack or someone else), or if a team picks him up early if he gets cut during camp.
I don't know whether to be happy or feel sorry for the Vikings at this point.

Ted Thompson keeps outdoing himself.

Scott Campbell
12-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Do practice squad guys get playoff shares?

Tarlam!
12-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Once Bishop is back, I could see Gurley replacing So'oto or Lattimore on the roster.

Harvey is NOT gonna like reading that!

Tarlam!
12-16-2011, 08:05 PM
I don't know whether to be happy or feel sorry for the Vikings at this point.

Ted Thompson keeps outdoing himself.

I felt sorry for the Lions for the decade or so I've been a fan. Now, they scare me to death. Also, a team (Colts) go from a potential 16-0 (14-2 final) to a potential 0-16, because there Franchise guy has neck surgery. There is so much parity in this league that I can't find any pity for a diviosional rival anymore.

But, I know you were kidding around, Vince.

Joemailman
12-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Harvey is NOT gonna like reading that!

Why? :cnf:

vince
12-16-2011, 08:30 PM
I felt sorry for the Lions for the decade or so I've been a fan. Now, they scare me to death. Also, a team (Colts) go from a potential 16-0 (14-2 final) to a potential 0-16, because there Franchise guy has neck surgery. There is so much parity in this league that I can't find any pity for a diviosional rival anymore.

But, I know you were kidding around, Vince.
Yeah, the Favre/Moss/Chilly debacle last year was great to say the least for me and all Packer fans. Favre has had a significant impact on the Vikings downfall after setting the franchise back by selling out and going for broke. They are without a doubt the team I dislike the most as a total contrast to the Packers organization. I know a lot of Viking fans though and it feels like you're just piling on talking about their team.

What was I thinking?

Tarlam!
12-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Why? :cnf:

It's a secret, but he himself posted it a long long time ago, like, when the roster was being finalized. Maybe, he will again.

pbmax
12-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Do practice squad guys get playoff shares?

I want to say they do, perhaps a factional one.

vince
12-16-2011, 10:59 PM
More piling on. That defensive backfield has to be the worst in the league in its current state - maybe next to the Jaguars who have 8 DB's on IR I think I read somewhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/16/vikings-defenders-regularly-ignored-play-calls/

Vikings defenders regularly ignored play calls

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 16, 2011, 2:07 PM EST

Early this season, members of the Vikings secondary weren’t too confident in the approach that defensive coordinator Fred Pagac took with his coverage calls.

So they ignored him.

Tom Pelissero of espn1500.com writes that a group of players simply refused to play the defenses called, yelling out their own coverages as they broke the huddle. The players didn’t like the frequency and timing of some man coverage and blitz concept calls.

Minnesota’s struggles in the second halves of games were blamed on coaches failing to adjust. Leslie Frazier eventually took over some playcalling duties in November, but the damage was done.

Changes are coming to the Vikings defense in the offseason. We’re starting to get a clearer picture of what those changes might entail. Pelissero writes there have been discussions about transitioning to a 3-4 defense with Mike Singletary getting promoted to defensive coordinator. The catch:

“There also are strong concerns within the building about Singletary’s aptitude for the position,” Pelissero writes.

It’s also unclear whether Leslie Frazier, who comes from a a Tampa-2 background, would be open to the change.

It’s more clear that getting rid of Brad Childress didn’t eliminate dysfunction in Minnesota.

HarveyWallbangers
12-16-2011, 11:10 PM
From JSO and GBPG

McCarthy said he was happy rookie receiver Tori Gurley decided to stay on the Packers’ practice squad rather than accept the Minnesota Vikings’ offer to sign him to their active roster earlier this week. Though the Packers didn’t activate him, they gave him a pay raise.

“He does a really good job with the opponent part of it, and he’s an inquisitive young man, and that’s what you like to see,” McCarthy said. “So he’s really taken advantage of his opportunity in the receiver room and the quarterback room. I was very pleased that Tori decided to stay with us.”

Staying put: An NFL club source said the Minnesota Vikings offered a contract to wide receiver Tori Gurley at mid-week to fill a vacancy on their 53-man roster.

The source said Gurley turned it down to remain on the Packers' practice squad and be in position to make the team next season.

In order to prevent Gurley from leaving, the source said, the Packers agreed to increase Gurley's practice-squad salary of $5,700 per week. Another source said the Packers agreed to pay Gurley $22,059, which is the minimum rookie salary.

"I was very pleased that Tori decided to stay with us," said McCarthy. "He's a young, up-and-coming player."

gbgary
12-16-2011, 11:18 PM
from $5,700.00 per week to $22,059.00 per week? nice raise!

King Friday
12-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Just goes to show that all those people who claimed I was nuts for saying Gurley was going to replace Driver next year might want to watch this kid more closely. The Packers clearly like him, or they wouldn't have invested $50K in him. They seem to think he's going to be someone worth keeping around for next year.

Tarlam!
12-17-2011, 03:53 AM
KF, I can't see DD not on next year's roster. He has said he wants to play as long as his legs will carry him. Judging by his last 2 outings, his legs are just fine! But a lot can still happen; JJ isn't a certaintly by any stretch IMHO. The way Cobb returns punts and from everything I have heard said about his reckless abandon from our very own KY, there is no telling what the WR staff might look like.

I think TT is investing in Gurley for THIS season. If we lose a WR to injury, well, he is a natural promotion. Also, he is learning more from this team than he will for 3 games in MN. Playoff experience, even from a practice squad vantage point, is so valuable. And, repeating myself, there is no shame in being #6 on this team. #6 here is maybe #2 or #3 on another roster. I think his agent did him a favour if he was advised to stay put for the season finale.

But I simply cannot imagine next year's Packers without DD.

Harlan Huckleby
12-17-2011, 05:12 AM
KF, I can't see DD not on next year's roster. He has said he wants to play as long as his legs will carry him. Judging by his last 2 outings, his legs are just fine!.

Baranczyk/Christl:
"The Packers have been able to dink-and-dunk the ball to Driver at times. He’s still a precise route runner, and he still has some vertical leap. But he’s slow out of his breaks, and he has lost his ability to separate. That’s not going to change."

Silverstein:
"I'm interested to see how he does with Jennings out. That should be a real test of whether he's still got it. He'll see more playing time and more balls. Ultimately, Thompson is going to want to move Cobb up the ranks and take a look at Gurley, so Driver's future is tenuous. His leadership ability plays in his favor."

I think TT is investing in Gurley for THIS season. If we lose a WR to injury, well, he is a natural promotion. I agree, Gurley was kept for depth this season.
I still think MN is a better place for Gurley, but I've come around to seeing that staying put is not a bad option.

Tarlam!
12-17-2011, 05:27 AM
I can't comment on what Christl wrote. Silversteins appraisal makes sense.

What neither mention, though, is his value in the leadership department. DD, although maybe #4 on the depth chart now, is still the leader of that group. His example was/is paramount to the way the selflessness has been surmounted in a locker room full of potential #1s on other teams.

His example of falling from grace is second to none. Only al Harris' and aaron kampman's exits come to mind. One was cut, one did not want to play 3-4 and left, both in exemplary fashion.

I haven't been a fan long enough to draw a comparison, but the way DD handles his business and the receiving/TE core is simply majestic. I bet the RBs/FBs also profit from it.

I vividly remember, when the transition was in full swing, it was DD that first came out and openly welcomed rodgers as "our Quarterback", which obviously could not have been easy, since he was close to the unnamed one.

Harlan Huckleby
12-17-2011, 05:52 AM
What neither mention, though, is his value in the leadership department.
look again. the crack pipe can be distracting, I know all too well.

Scott Campbell
12-17-2011, 09:45 AM
The MO of this team is that we'd rather cut a guy one year too early, than one year too late.

pbmax
12-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Just goes to show that all those people who claimed I was nuts for saying Gurley was going to replace Driver next year might want to watch this kid more closely. The Packers clearly like him, or they wouldn't have invested $50K in him. They seem to think he's going to be someone worth keeping around for next year.

OK, I'll watch. In the meantime can you cough up some lottery numbers? :)

Tarlam!
12-17-2011, 05:44 PM
The MO of this team is that we'd rather cut a guy one year too early, than one year too late.

Excellent point. I had not even considered that. If they cut him, he will go with class. And KF will have earned his "told ya so" right to gloat. I will then bowe gracefully KF!! Hahaha

King Friday
12-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Driver is a Packer...if Thompson says "thanks man, but we have to go another direction" I doubt Driver will harbor any bad feelings. He understands the business. He understands that his durability and athleticism aren't what they used to be. He knows the league is a young man's game.

Driver's leadership isn't as important anymore. He already has taught the craft well to guys like Jennings and Jordy...and the WRs have a no-nonsense coach in Bennett. Kids like Cobb and Gurley show up day 1 and immediately buy into the Packer way. Driver has done his job, and done it extremely well.

His uniform will be one you can wear with pride for the rest of your life. I want to see the guy get to 10,000 receiving yards, earn a second SB ring, and ride off into the sunset on top showing that million dollar smile. I don't want to see him as a broken down shadow of himself...like Clifton. After the Favre debacle, you can bet there is no way that Driver will burn bridges on his way out. He is set for life as a Packer legend...all he has to do is smile.

King Friday
12-17-2011, 07:47 PM
OK, I'll watch. In the meantime can you cough up some lottery numbers? :)

12 21 38 52 80 85

Slap those down on Feb 5 and see what you come up with.

Lurker64
12-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Once Driver retires/becomes too expensive to keep (presumably next year) Gurley is practically guaranteed the #5 WR position... I mean, he's practically Ruvell Martin's length plus Brett Swain's special teams ability, this kid was born to play WR5 for the Packers.

Harlan Huckleby
12-17-2011, 09:51 PM
Once Driver retires/becomes too expensive to keep (presumably next year) Gurley is practically guaranteed the #5 WR position... I mean, he's practically Ruvell Martin's length plus Brett Swain's special teams ability, this kid was born to play WR5 for the Packers.

If Gurley is such a stud, why did two other wide recievers cut by packers get signed by other teams, but not him http://www.webportal.com.my/chat/smiley_confused.gif

Lurker64
12-17-2011, 09:53 PM
If Gurley is such a stud, why did two other wide recievers cut by packers get signed by other teams, but not him http://www.webportal.com.my/chat/smiley_confused.gif

He's less NFL ready than the bunch, coming out of school he was green as grass. He's not going to offer much to you as a WR this year, or probably next... but it's not like Brett Swain ever did either.

Harlan Huckleby
12-17-2011, 09:56 PM
I can't remember, is Gurley the former QB just learning the WR position? He did look quick, but not so physical.

Joemailman
12-17-2011, 10:07 PM
I can't remember, is Gurley the former QB just learning the WR position? He did look quick, but not so physical.

No, that's Diondre Borel. Borel played WR as a freshman, but then switched to QB his last 3 years.

Lurker64
12-17-2011, 11:53 PM
No, that's Diondre Borel. Borel played WR as a freshman, but then switched to QB his last 3 years.

It's also Randall Cobb. Cobb was a QB up until his sophomore year at Kentucky, and he declared as a Jr.

KYPack
12-18-2011, 07:25 AM
It's also Randall Cobb. Cobb was a QB up until his sophomore year at Kentucky, and he declared as a Jr.

Cobb was SEC player of the week as a freshman QB. He can throw a great intermediate pass and is a very good reader of defenses. If UK wouldn't have come up with another good young QB, Cobb would've still been playing QB this year at Kentucky and be a top pro football prospect.

In Canada, that is.

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2011, 08:41 AM

OK, where are they now:
Chastin West - Jacksonville active roster, caught 3 balls last week
Brett Swain - 49ers roster, no stats
Kerry Taylor - 49ers practice squad
Diondre Borel - Packers practice squad
Shakey Smithson - Packer IR list
Tori Gurley - Vikings roster (update: packer practice squad)

Iron Mike
12-18-2011, 09:36 AM
You know Chata?

Yeah, I know Chata......

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RV5c5ZlDwSw/TWWyVBfYZ6I/AAAAAAAABAM/zgIR5tbNqb8/s1600/bottle-2.jpg

MJZiggy
12-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I know Chata......

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RV5c5ZlDwSw/TWWyVBfYZ6I/AAAAAAAABAM/zgIR5tbNqb8/s1600/bottle-2.jpg

OMG I want me some of that!!

gbgary
12-27-2011, 09:10 PM
sf released braylon edwards today and may look outside the organization for a wr. wonder if gurley would turn them down?

Lurker64
12-27-2011, 11:11 PM
sf released braylon edwards today and may look outside the organization for a wr. wonder if gurley would turn them down?

Keeping him off a top NFC team going into the playoffs is probably worth a roster promotion, I wonder who we'd cut/put on IR.

Fritz
12-28-2011, 05:56 AM
Brqd Jones. Has he done anything this year except take up space?

pbmax
12-28-2011, 09:18 AM

He's been pretty good on ST.

Teamcheez1
12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Driver is a Packer...if Thompson says "thanks man, but we have to go another direction" I doubt Driver will harbor any bad feelings. He understands the business. He understands that his durability and athleticism aren't what they used to be. He knows the league is a young man's game.

Driver's leadership isn't as important anymore. He already has taught the craft well to guys like Jennings and Jordy...and the WRs have a no-nonsense coach in Bennett. Kids like Cobb and Gurley show up day 1 and immediately buy into the Packer way. Driver has done his job, and done it extremely well.

His uniform will be one you can wear with pride for the rest of your life. I want to see the guy get to 10,000 receiving yards, earn a second SB ring, and ride off into the sunset on top showing that million dollar smile. I don't want to see him as a broken down shadow of himself...like Clifton. After the Favre debacle, you can bet there is no way that Driver will burn bridges on his way out. He is set for life as a Packer legend...all he has to do is smile.

Love DD as a player and leader of this team for years. The quintessential Packer.

However, is he really worth keeping around for $5M + dollars next year? That would be his price tag for another season.

Pugger
12-28-2011, 09:45 AM

He's been pretty good on ST.

This says a lot. I'm sure TT and Capers counted on him, Zombo or Walden to be the other bookend opposite CM3. He might be good on ST but that ain't helping our ailing defense, is it?