PDA

View Full Version : Campen vs Suh Did it happen?

KYPack
12-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Firstly, I think this tale is bullshit, but in the 1% chance that it's true, it's freakin' funny!

This come by way of a Mi paper quoting an interview on a Oregon radio station. That's one screwed up data trail, but the story is hilarious

The gist of the story is that James Campen coached EDS to repeatedly untie Suh's shoelaces during the Thanksgiving day game & that's what drove Suh into a blind rage during the ballgame. Campen has denied the story and said that former teammate Matt Brock is just having fun at his (Campen's) expense.

Check it out at the linky

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/12/did_the_green_bay_packers_anta.html

If anything, it's some raw meat for all the Campen haters.

The whiny comments after the article by Lion fans are a real hoot!

rdanomly
12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
If it is true, so Suh doesn't know how to tie a double knot, he stomps someone? Screw pad level, Suh needs to hit up his old kindergarten teacher for a refresher on 'loop, swoop, & pull" :)

MadtownPacker
12-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Couldnt that dumb MFer just doubleknot them? :lol:

ThunderDan
12-16-2011, 09:18 AM
This is completely ridiculous! The only time people aren't moving and "easy" to find is in a huddle. Good luck trying to find a player in a pile not moving and have both of your hands free to untie someone's shoes.

Zool
12-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Holy shit. Someone actually called untying shoelaces "unsportsmanlike conduct". Someone people are just genuinely stupid.

gbgary
12-16-2011, 09:21 AM
now THAT'S funny!

MadtownPacker
12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Holy shit. Someone actually called untying shoelaces "unsportsmanlike conduct". Someone people are just genuinely stupid.
I believe it is only a penalty if you tie the laces together.

Tony Oday
12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Oml the comments are great!

KYPack
12-16-2011, 09:37 AM
I love this comment by a Loins fan...

Quote on

Damn right!
Keep that mickey mouse little kid stuff like untying someones shoes in elementary school or pop warner. There is no place for that in the NFL.
Violating the NFL's uniform code is an instant fine (un-tucked jersey, off color socks or shoes etc.). Period. The GB player needs to be fined for each violation.
Mess with the Bull....
Just don't lose your composure next time Suh.
I am pretty impressed CitizenXGen. How did you get a chance to ask Denard Robinson at 1am about that? Must be some great insider connections bro!

Quote off

Kitty fans are such tools, my God!

Fine the Packer for defacing the uniform?!?

But I imagine the guy is posting brilliant sarcasm.....

smuggler
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
If this is true, EDH needs to keep untying shoes because he manhandled Suh in that game.

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 09:55 AM
You guys are ridiculous. Suh can't tie his shoes to begin with. He wears these

http://www.landaustore.co.uk/images/footwear/kickers/kids/kickers-kids-kickers-shoes-kids-kick-lo-red-navy-velcro-infants-28744.jpg

or his raf simons. Half the time, he can't even velcro properly - probably intentionally

http://www.upscalehype.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Usher-Raf-Simons-velcro-red-suede-sneakers-1.jpg

gbgary
12-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I believe it is only a penalty if you tie the laces together.

:lol:

George Cumby
12-16-2011, 11:03 AM
If this is true, it is one of the most ironically funny things I have heard in 2011. Ejected and suspended for two games because dude was tugging on your shoelaces.

Classic.

pbmax
12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
I hope it is true. It isn't, but I would love it if it was.

By the way, how do players pay an "instant fine"? Do they need to go to the locker room and retrieve their checkbook during the game or can they pay at halftime or after the final whistle?

Pugger
12-16-2011, 11:47 AM
I don't believe it is true for one second.

Upnorth
12-16-2011, 12:46 PM
If he does have the ability to regularly untie a persons shoelaces, he deserves a raise, that is a great secret weapon! Further I hope he teaches the whole oline this mystic ability as it could come in handy with slowing down the pass rus . . . wait, maybe they are doing this and that is why Rodgers is playing so well! He is being chased by people with their shoes tied toghether! Campden deserves a raise, what brilliant coaching! Capmden for coach of the year!

Some one should retitle this thread Campden for coach of the year!

Guiness
12-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm thinking Brock read the book "The Night Circus" and is making a rather oblique reference to it.

Still, great stuff! Made me laugh.

Patler
12-16-2011, 02:16 PM
First of all, Dietrich Smith didn't even get into the game until into the second quarter, and Suh was out by early in the 3rd, on the Packers first possession of the second half. According to McGinn's player grading report, Dietrich-Smith was in for just 18 plays with Suh. I seriously doubt he had that much of an opportunity.

Does anyone remember seeing Suh retying his shoe, or leaving the game? I sure don't.

Had this happened during a week when D-S was starting, I think it would be more credible. But with D-S entering the game late in the second and Suh getting kicked out early in the 3rd, it seems to me Campen would have had more to be concerned with than planning "dirty-tricks".

King Friday
12-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I believe Campen said what was quoted...to loosen up the mood on the sidelines. Everyone I'm sure took it as a joke.

I also believe that it was the blocking schemes that frustrated Suh. He was getting mugged and held pretty good at times...which always happens in the trenches at some point during games. Suh didn't like it, and eventually blew a fuse when he couldn't dominate against guys he had never heard of before.

bobblehead
12-17-2011, 07:07 AM
I always put tape over my shoelaces when I played so they wouldn't get stepped on and untied....but I am smarter than a 5th grader.

pbmax
12-17-2011, 11:18 AM
It did happen, but it wasn't EDS who did it. Nor was it a Packers game. Actual story here:

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=6468

Tarlam!
12-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I always put tape over my shoelaces when I played so they wouldn't get stepped on and untied....but I am smarter than a 5th grader.

Old Rugby habit! Always tape your shoelaces. I played back in the day when our shoelaces were so long, we had to wrap them around our shoe soles 4 times before we could tie 'em! Graet memory for me, Bobble - Thanks!

jdrats
12-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the link pb--interesting to hear the real story. So, it comes from when Brock was coaching, and Suh playing, in High School.

Seems Suh had the same rep even back then. This part was particularly interesting: “I said, ‘Well, he’s going to kill you, No. 1, but No. 2, what you’ve got to do is … untie his shoelaces, whatever. He’ll get frustrated and get a penalty.’ Well, it so happens that he got frustrated, took a swing at one of our players and he got kicked out of the game."

Funny stuff! But also provides still more insight into Suh.

Earlier this season Suh had claimed that he wasn't a dirty player, he was just so much bigger and stronger that it looked like he was dirty. After the stomping, I read an article that stated that this excuse was one Suh and his father had started way back when Suh played soccer as a kid. Incredibly, despite being completely nonsensical in the NFL, this excuse was given serious consideration by many commentators.

Sometimes a story becomes clearer as more information comes out. Bottom line is Suh likely has never had to take responsibility for his antics, and his role models now, his father and Schwartz, are still enabling his excuses.