PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers Named Sporting News Athlete Of The Year

Packgator
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-12-16/green-bay-packers-qb-aaron-rodgers-named-sporting-news-athlete-of-the-year

MadtownPacker
12-16-2011, 05:54 PM
“He’s got everything you want in a quarterback,” says Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher.

Guessing old #54 should know what a shitty QB looks like after all these years in CHI. :lol:

Congrats on a well deserved stripe.

Joemailman
12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
He'd be nothing without James Jones.

vince
12-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Nobody in any sport played at a higher level than Rodgers has the past year.

And it's really not even close. What an unbelievable run Rodgers is on. A lot of people liked Rodgers from the beginning. No one thought he'd be this good. Joe Montana just said Rodgers is better than he ever was.

Tarlam!
12-16-2011, 07:33 PM
A lot of people liked Rodgers from the beginning.

Couldn't disagree more, unless you are talking about the beginning as in when he begn starting.

TT was booed when he made the pick. Alex Smith was #1 over all. 23 other teams passed. "He's another Tedford bust" waiting to happen, most said. His position at the release was gawd-awful, if you recall. He was labelled arrogant. And who can forget the immortal "I'm not here to coach QBs" smirk from the previous QB. I labelled him brittle, because both times he saw the field in his first season, he was immediately injured.

And let's not forget the Great Packer Divide that the Immaculate Debacle caused, Packer fans booed him his first outing and held up very insulting signs. Rodgers didn't even get a scholorship offer! Nope, not many people liked him at all, from the beginning.

vince
12-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Couldn't disagree more, unless you are talking about the beginning as in when he begn starting.

TT was booed when he made the pick. Alex Smith was #1 over all. 23 other teams passed. "He's another Tedford bust" waiting to happen, most said. His position at the release was gawd-awful, if you recall. He was labelled arrogant. And who can forget the immortal "I'm not here to coach QBs" smirk from the previous QB. I labelled him brittle, because both times he saw the field in his first season, he was immediately injured.

And let's not forget the Great Packer Divide that the Immaculate Debacle caused, Packer fans booed him his first outing and held up very insulting signs. Rodgers didn't even get a scholorship offer! Nope, not many people liked him at all, from the beginning.
I agree that more people probably disliked the pick at the time it was made than liked it. I didn't mean to imply that "most" liked him. Some liked it from the very beginning though. A lot more liked Rodgers back in '08, but a lot of Favreians also reviled him.

gbgary
12-16-2011, 07:45 PM
And it's really not even close. What an unbelievable run Rodgers is on. A lot of people liked Rodgers from the beginning. No one thought he'd be this good. Joe Montana just said Rodgers is better than he ever was.

congratz to him. well deserved.

i thought he was real good but injury prone and i wasn't very excited about him after having an everygame qb like bf. he's proved a lot of people wrong about their first impressions.

oh btw...f bf.

smuggler
12-17-2011, 03:38 AM
I liked Rodgers from the start. >=J

Tarlam!
12-17-2011, 04:03 AM
I liked Rodgers from the start. >=J

I liked TT from the start and believed he made the right pick. But, I knew nothing about the kid - most of us didn't - except what the media fed us. And those horrid pictures from the "Green Room" as he fell and fell and fell.

Not many truly believed a Tedford QB had a chance in this league - take a look at the list of busts! I maintain that Rodgers would have done no better than Smith. The time Rodgers had to mature did him and Packer fans the world of good; it gave M3 a chance to coach him up. FWIW, I liked him, too, cause TT picked him. That was enough for me, but there were a lot of red flags.

Pugger
12-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I didn't know much about him either but I did hear from some quarters that he might go first overall before that draft. I couldn't believe how he dropped that day! I felt bad for him as player after player was chosen as he sat there in NY with cameras in his face. I never dreamt he'd be there when our pick came up and wasn't sure if TT would take him because QB was not a need at the time. After the announcement and then seeing all of his highlights I got excited! I think it was shameful how some "fans" booed him in 2008. That entire situation had nothing to do with him. He was just a young player with a load of talent trying to play football. Looking back that treatment of AR, not the Favre divorce, is the sadder story of 2008. :-x

pbmax
12-17-2011, 01:24 PM
I have thought he would be an elite QB since he was 11 years old and threw a rock through the upstairs bathroom window of Mr. Willoughby's place from 45 yards away through two hydrangea bushes. He has it. Gamechanger.

Window cost $275 to replace and Willoughby doesn't know how to spend wisely on his home.

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2011, 01:46 PM
I have thought he would be an elite QB since he was 11 years old and threw a rock through the upstairs bathroom window of Mr. Willoughby's place from 45 yards away through two hydrangea bushes. He has it. Gamechanger.

Window cost $275 to replace and Willoughby doesn't know how to spend wisely on his home.

:lol:

channtheman
12-17-2011, 03:24 PM
I liked Rodgers since the Dallas game in 2007 when he came in and almost won the game for us. I was somewhat unsure of the draft pick at the time, though.

Brandon494
12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
I hated Rodgers the first time I saw him play, but the again maybe because Cal ended up winning in a shoot out against my Hokies with Rodgers leading his team down the field for a game winning TD. :)

King Friday
12-17-2011, 07:54 PM
I loved the draft pick...but I was a little leery after that first preseason. By the time the Favre thing blew up, I was ready for the kid to get his shot.