PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Packers in national news

Guiness
12-16-2011, 03:53 PM
We've had other threads about the Packers being under the radar this year, but I thought I'd bring it up again.

I agree that the rest of the NFL is obviously quite aware of what's going on there. But that's to be expected. For whatever reason, the national media doesn't seem to care about it, and that's a lot less pressure. When NE was doing it, it seemed like there was a microphone in Brady's face asking about it from week 6 on.

Sportsline has headlines on Hurd, Harrison's suspension, AP, Andre Johnson and McKnight getting healthy, McCoy's concussion, Buress thanking Vick and Billick going to the Dolphins (stupid idea)

BSPN has Harrison, Hurd, Roethlisburger, AP, McCoy, A. Johnson Ben Watson to IR, some fines (Carter), Newton deserving to go to the Pro Bowl (do they leave off Rodgers, Brees or Eli? oh, right, with the new date, Rodger won't be available!), who is better, Newton or Tebow (oh my) and some Miami players declaring for the draft.

So, let's look at Pro Football talk. Well, more of the same, plus something about Flacco complaining Tebow gets too much coverage, Dante Hall getting fined (he threw a flag back at an official!), Jax thinking they need to draft another QB cause Gabbert sucks, the Vikings ignoring the DC's play calls...

Oh, wait a minute!!!!! Finally, mention of the Packers. Apparently, Montana says Rodgers' is playing better than he ever did.

How the hell is there a team looking at going 14-0 this week-end, and nothing is being written about it? I guess if you're not on a coast, the reporters just really, really don't want to visit you. If it was a coastal team doing this, you'd have paparazzi camping out in the player's parking garage!!!! lol at the idea of paparazzi in Green Bay. Closest thing you've got there is an old lady with cancer, wearing a pink jersey asking Rodgers and Mathews for autographs!

Smidgeon
12-16-2011, 03:59 PM
We've had other threads about the Packers being under the radar this year, but I thought I'd bring it up again.

I agree that the rest of the NFL is obviously quite aware of what's going on there. But that's to be expected. For whatever reason, the national media doesn't seem to care about it, and that's a lot less pressure. When NE was doing it, it seemed like there was a microphone in Brady's face asking about it from week 6 on.

Sportsline has headlines on Hurd, Harrison's suspension, AP, Andre Johnson and McKnight getting healthy, McCoy's concussion, Buress thanking Vick and Billick going to the Dolphins (stupid idea)

BSPN has Harrison, Hurd, Roethlisburger, AP, McCoy, A. Johnson Ben Watson to IR, some fines (Carter), Newton deserving to go to the Pro Bowl (do they leave off Rodgers, Brees or Eli? oh, right, with the new date, Rodger won't be available!), who is better, Newton or Tebow (oh my) and some Miami players declaring for the draft.

So, let's look at Pro Football talk. Well, more of the same, plus something about Flacco complaining Tebow gets too much coverage, Dante Hall getting fined (he threw a flag back at an official!), Jax thinking they need to draft another QB cause Gabbert sucks, the Vikings ignoring the DC's play calls...

Oh, wait a minute!!!!! Finally, mention of the Packers. Apparently, Montana says Rodgers' is playing better than he ever did.

How the hell is there a team looking at going 14-0 this week-end, and nothing is being written about it? I guess if you're not on a coast, the reporters just really, really don't want to visit you. If it was a coastal team doing this, you'd have paparazzi camping out in the player's parking garage!!!! lol at the idea of paparazzi in Green Bay. Closest thing you've got there is an old lady with cancer, wearing a pink jersey asking Rodgers and Mathews for autographs!

Florio at least talks about Rodgers' year in this piece. It isn't directly related, but it is indirectly.

mraynrand
12-16-2011, 04:13 PM
I hear Mark Sanchez bagged two does within hours of each other.

sheepshead
12-16-2011, 04:52 PM
I think Ted and Mike have that thing humming like a finely tuned machine as you can get in the NFL. Thus, nothing but business during the week. The business of the next opponent. Amazing how a Greg Jennings going down for a few weeks and we get a yawn or maybe some anticipation by some to watch other guys maybe step up. Pretty cool actually when you think about it.

Guiness
12-16-2011, 06:13 PM
I think Ted and Mike have that thing humming like a finely tuned machine as you can get in the NFL. Thus, nothing but business during the week. The business of the next opponent. Amazing how a Greg Jennings going down for a few weeks and we get a yawn or maybe some anticipation by some to watch other guys maybe step up. Pretty cool actually when you think about it.

You're right, I haven't seen a single article about GJ. Plenty about A. Johnson, of course.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the Pack is being largely ignored. It just baffles me.

RashanGary
12-16-2011, 07:14 PM
ESPN and the NFL seem to have a bit of a grudge against each other. They're forced to work together (sort of.)

ESPN wins the Monday Night Football bid. The NFL gives them mostly shitty games and then makes sure Sunday night has the premium matchups.

The NFL starts their own network, really getting their product out there. They'd love to eat their cake and have it too, but ESPN isn't going to be so cooperative. In the NFL's dream world, ESPN would promote the game, helping to grow the fan base. In reality, ESPN could care less about growing the NFL. They cover many sports. Since the NFL has began competing against ESPN, ESPN has pretty much stuck up their middle finger too. People like to hear about Tebow. It does nothing for the overall picture of the NFL, but it helps ESPN.

Typically, you might find a, "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." relationship. With ESPN and the NFL, it seems like the opposite.

vince
12-16-2011, 07:20 PM
ESPN and the NFL seem to have a bit of a grudge against each other. They're forced to work together (sort of.)

ESPN wins the Monday Night Football bid. The NFL gives them mostly shitty games and then makes sure Sunday night has the premium matchups.

The NFL starts their own network, really getting their product out there. They'd love to eat their cake and have it too, but ESPN isn't going to be so cooperative. In the NFL's dream world, ESPN would promote the game, helping to grow the fan base. In reality, ESPN could care less about growing the NFL. They cover many sports. Since the NFL has began competing against ESPN, ESPN has pretty much stuck up their middle finger too. People like to hear about Tebow. It does nothing for the overall picture of the NFL, but it helps ESPN.

Typically, you might find a, "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." relationship. With ESPN and the NFL, it seems like the opposite.
ESPN also had a decidedly pro-player slant on the news over the summer. Those Monday Night games have been brutal this year. Compared to the NFL Network, ESPN has become almost unwatchable when it comes to NFL coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
12-16-2011, 07:33 PM
I think the Packers are a little under the radar, but I can't say they completely are. Every time I watch ESPN or the NFL Network, they either have story on the Packers or Tebow. I think both CBS and FOX had pre-game stories on the Packers this week also.

vince
12-16-2011, 07:44 PM
It's at the point where they can't get away from it. Rachel Nichols will probably be in Green Bay for the next 2 months. I hereby retract my post claiming that ESPN is completely unwatchable.

Tarlam!
12-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Let's face it, what is there to cover? Nobody on the team is talking about perfection. The best the media can get anyone to say is, "Sure, we'd like to be a part of something special". Nobody is trying to unload 1 brick of cocaine a week. There is nothing to resemble a Terrell Owens or Chad Ochocinco in the locker room. Packers do not stop on defensless opponents. There are no hold-outs. They aren't owned by a meglomaniac. And trying to get any substantial information out of TT is the painful media equivilant to have root canal surgery.

GJ going down? Ha! They have a roster full of pass catches. All they could do is guess on who the next guy up will be. And even with a healthy GJ, that's all they did each week, 'cause unless you county Jordy, Rodgers don't have a favourite target. 19 different TD catchers and counting.

Honestly, what can the media actually report?

gbgary
12-16-2011, 07:53 PM
i'm glad we're on the back burner. less media pressure etc. tebow, suh, the failed eagles, romo/rob ryan, have distracted the media.

pbmax
12-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Actually, the Packers are talking about perfection and their desire to chase it. But they are doing it in such an understated way, it doesn't make for headlines. They always leave it up to the coach. Especially when McStubby buries is all under coach speak (which he is close to perfecting) at his twice weekly news conferences. The closest thing has been Rodgers saying he thinks he might know the plan if they clinch HFA.

The Packers have been quietly violating most of the taboos of team sports for a while and getting away with it. Its fantastic. Preseason Super Bowl talk last year and this year. The Phototgate blitz duing the first Super Bowl week. Being fitted for rings. Now talk about running the table. Some coaches would have a heart attack, but McCarthy seems non-plussed and has the ability to keep the team focused week to week. Holmgren would have been red faced for a month at this point. So whatever it is he is doing, keep doing it.

Its like he is taking lessons from Phil Jackson. He has Zen message control, by having no publicly visible message control.

MJZiggy
12-16-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't remember any interview with any player up until this week where they have given the press anything more than "we're just focused on this week's game. We just want to win this week."

I think when they're done with their film study, they all go and get media training.

vince
12-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Good points. He's been unbelievably good at keeping the team focused on and working toward improving throughout all the success they've had. I know a lot of people think he's changed in order to make the team successful, but I think it's the fact that he's so friggin consistent regardless of the level of success the team has that is part of his secret to keeping the team focused on football rather than how good they are. He's said that he's boring by design and always tries to keep his message on point because he knows the team is listening when he talks to and through the press.

pbmax
12-16-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't remember any interview with any player up until this week where they have given the press anything more than "we're just focused on this week's game. We just want to win this week."

I think when they're done with their film study, they all go and get media training.

Matthews, Rodgers, Woodson and Raji have all said the players want to play for the 16-0. In reality, this won't be a huge deal until they clinch HFA and then a decision has to be made. Then the grilling will get intense because no matter what McCarthy and Thompson do, the press will be after the players asking them if its wise or in line with their preference. And players who are disappointed by the choice will have more motivation to speak.

RashanGary
12-16-2011, 11:03 PM
The Packers are turning into the new Patriots. A QB who says nothing and does nothing wrong. A GM who says absolutely nothing (similar to the hoody.)

MM is a little different than hoodie.

But if you recall back to those Patriot championships, everyone undersold them until they won 3, then they were legit. For those first two, they were considered the little engine who could, sort of an underdog.

Oddly, we're that way. Scouts say we're OK, but nothing special. . . . We quietly dominate.

Tarlam!
12-16-2011, 11:16 PM
I think that's a bit melodramatic, JH! and, i don't think anyone considered the patsies 2the little engine who could".

And I would LOVE to see the scouts' quotes you cite. Everything I have read is depth depth depth!

King Friday
12-17-2011, 12:14 AM
To some extent, the fact that the Patriots made this same run a couple years ago sort of takes the usual amazement out of it. They already went 16-0 in the regular season, so we won't be the first. The real prize is 19-0 and being the first to do that. Things will get a lot more interesting once mid-January rolls around.

Guiness
12-17-2011, 02:00 AM

I dunno. I guess I'm waiting for someone to ask Rodger how long he's been an undefeated QB :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
12-17-2011, 02:01 AM
The Packers are turning into the new Patriots. A QB who says nothing and does nothing wrong. A GM who says absolutely nothing (similar to the hoody.)

MM is a little different than hoodie.

But if you recall back to those Patriot championships, everyone undersold them until they won 3, then they were legit. For those first two, they were considered the little engine who could, sort of an underdog.

Oddly, we're that way. Scouts say we're OK, but nothing special. . . . We quietly dominate.

The first year they were the underdog. Once you win a Super Bowl, you are no longer the "little engine that could."

bobblehead
12-17-2011, 06:30 AM
I think its a forgone conclusion that we are going to run the table in the regular season so the story will start in the postseason. jmo.

Smidgeon
12-17-2011, 11:19 AM
To some extent, the fact that the Patriots made this same run a couple years ago sort of takes the usual amazement out of it. They already went 16-0 in the regular season, so we won't be the first. The real prize is 19-0 and being the first to do that. Things will get a lot more interesting once mid-January rolls around.

I think this is it. It's already been done and won't be something new unless and if the Packers win the Superbowl. Otherwise, there's just no new ground (as far as winning records). And if they don't get to the Superbowl, they didn't even match the Patriots.

Pugger
12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
And I pray we don't duplicate what happened to NE that year either! :shock:

Tarlam!
12-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Nah, you guys and girls are too realistic!

Firstly, I don't give a toss if they go 14-2. I certainly don't want to go 18-1 like that Patriots cheating team! Back to back and a three-peat and i am still a happy little camper!

Sure, history is nice. but dating back, they already are 19-0- what a great achievement, especially considering the sqaud that was MIA!

M3 has it spot on. The last game must be won in Indy - everything else is just a great Bearnaise sause topping a great Surf and Turf. And since M3 aint talking it up, neither is the press.

I just hope the keep the lions and the bears outta of the tournament. Karma is a Beach.

Smeefers
12-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Let's face it, what is there to cover? Nobody on the team is talking about perfection. The best the media can get anyone to say is, "Sure, we'd like to be a part of something special". Nobody is trying to unload 1 brick of cocaine a week. There is nothing to resemble a Terrell Owens or Chad Ochocinco in the locker room. Packers do not stop on defensless opponents. There are no hold-outs. They aren't owned by a meglomaniac. And trying to get any substantial information out of TT is the painful media equivilant to have root canal surgery.

GJ going down? Ha! They have a roster full of pass catches. All they could do is guess on who the next guy up will be. And even with a healthy GJ, that's all they did each week, 'cause unless you county Jordy, Rodgers don't have a favourite target. 19 different TD catchers and counting.

This actually sounds like a great outline to a fantastic article.

CaliforniaCheez
12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
They are currently on a losing streak longer than Indianapolis Colts. Losers do not get media coverage.

MJZiggy
12-19-2011, 05:06 PM
They are currently on a losing streak longer than Indianapolis Colts. Losers do not get media coverage.

Screw that. They haven't shut up about us all day. Apparently, this has uncovered serious weaknesses in our team and we may not win another game this season. :roll:

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Screw that. They haven't shut up about us all day.

Well, the blueprint was finally discovered! It's like the Rosetta stone of football.

Upnorth
12-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Its too bad that execution and talent don't matter once you loose, the book is out on us, 13-3 here we come.

Seriously though most things I have read on how to beat the pack for the last 10ish weeks have said what kc did. They were the first who could do it. Further, if Buluga was not hurt I bet the outcome is different (still looking for a pony).

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Its too bad that execution and talent don't matter once you loose, the book is out on us, 13-3 here we come.

Seriously though most things I have read on how to beat the pack for the last 10ish weeks have said what kc did. They were the first who could do it. Further, if Buluga was not hurt I bet the outcome is different (still looking for a pony).

Don't forget that they'll get out-physicalled in their first home playoff game.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 05:18 PM
And I agree Upnorth. That book on the Packers has been out for a long time this year. There were a *lot* of extra things that had to happen (injuries) for it to work out.

Little Whiskey
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
our team and we may not win another game this season. :roll:

its a good thing there is only two more games this season. then who cares as long as they win all the games in the post-season!

Gunakor
12-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Tim Tebow lost too! Is that not the bigger story?!