PDA

View Full Version : Ugly sheep ... slumpbusters?

the_idle_threat
08-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Australian farmers called to report ugly sheep (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060815/sc_nm/australia_sheep_dc)

Tue Aug 15, 2:56 AM ET

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian scientists have called on the country's farmers to report any ugly sheep found in their flocks.

A campaign called "Xtreme sheep" aims to study sheep with undesirable wool features to unlock the genetic makeup of the prized merino and ensure production of its high quality fleece.

The South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI) said on Tuesday its search for "Australia's ugliest merino lambs" may hold the key to securing the nation's A$2.8 billion (US$2.1 billion) wool industry.

The institute said ugly lambs -- with uneven wool, strange fibers, clumps of wool that fall out, bare patches, no wool, or highly wrinkled skin -- are usually culled by farmers.

"Before sending them to the abattoir, we'd like farmers to talk to us first, because studying animals with extreme features offers one of the most efficient ways to find good genes that can impact on certain wool traits," said project leader Simon Bawden.

"It might seem a paradox that ugly wool may be good, but when looking through a genetic profile, the random genetic mistakes act like a flag, speeding up our search to finding genes critical to wool formation and synthesis," Bawden told reporters

The institute hopes to the DNA study will lead to improvements in Australia's merino wool, making it stretchier, less scratchy, shinier and easier to spin, and better able to compete against synthetic fibers.

So far only 10 ugly sheep have been found this lambing season, which stretches from April to September, when statistically there could be hundreds, said the institute.

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060815/i/r1107944840.jpg

How many of you sick bastards wish you were this lamb right now?

Thoughts:
1) LOL ... why do you suppose this is headline news?
2) How did they define "ugly" ... did they ask this guy (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0307062sheep1.html)?
3) How many "pretty" sheep have they found, and is there a trafficking ring?

esoxx
08-16-2006, 12:42 AM
I'll defer to Murphy on this one. Murph?

GBRulz
08-16-2006, 06:56 AM
I read about this a couple days ago..... damnit, I can't read anything about sheep without Murphy's name popping into my head.

Tarlam!
08-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Makes me proud to be an Aussie. Thanks Idle! Weep.... :sad:

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Makes me proud to be an Aussie. Thanks Idle! Weep.... :sad:

I hope that LIFE isn't too hard on you man. Chin up. :mrgreen:

Tarlam!
08-16-2006, 09:20 AM
I hope that LIFE isn't too hard on you man....

Life is a BITCH. Then, you marry one.... :neutral:

oregonpackfan
08-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Ugly sheep? How about homosexual rams?

The Oregon State Agriculture Department is doing a study on homosexual rams. Last year, in a state of intoxication, several Oregon State football players stole one of these rams, boarded him in the back of a pickup truck, and paraded him through the streets of Corvallis!

Pundits later claimed it was the greatest defensive play, the 5-6 Beavers made all season! :lol:

the_idle_threat
08-16-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm surprised to return and not find my rat name changed to "Xtreme rat."

Murphy37
08-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Never met a sheep I didn't like. Their all beautiful................inside.

KYPack
08-17-2006, 10:58 AM
In New Zealand, they have discovered a new use for sheep.

Wool!