PDA

View Full Version : How Thompson Choose Mike McCarthy

pbmax
12-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Some nice work by the JSO writers this weekend. One of them you could only find behind the garbage paywall, but this one is available for all.

Thompson found his perfect fit in McCarthy (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/thompson-found-his-man-in-mccarthy-iv3fap5-135806398.html)

Some things I just learned or had forgotten about:

1. Payton had had the most impressive interview to that point
2. McCarthy was second to last, Bates was the last and contrary to my opinion at the time, that interview position was not favorable in that Thompson was somewhat burned out
3. Thompson admits that some of the details of the X and Os that the coaches bring to the interview are beyond him, his playing days long since gone
4. McCarthy's tie was too short
5. McCarthy, after getting 2 follow-up questions from Thompson while he was visiting his daughter in Texas ordered a new suit since he had left his in San Francisco after the Packer interview
6. After all the interviews, no one stood out enough to keep Thompson from agonizing over the decision
7. Two Thompson associates, John Schneider (yeah, the one that worked for the Packers) and Scot McCloughan (former Packer and newly minted 49er GM) recommended McCarthy
8. McCarthy was less impressed with new Packer facilities than with meeting Bob Harlan again.

Tarlam!
12-18-2011, 01:36 AM
I really am glad he hired M3, but, I would have been just as chuffed with Payton. With TT's ability to build a roster, Payton might be just as successful. Clearly, the M3 QB school is a thing of beauty!

But, the biggy that you are missing, PB, is, THAT CHILDRESS NEVER BOARDED THE PLANE!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahha

mraynrand
12-18-2011, 06:49 AM
One of them you could only find behind the garbage paywall

are they not supposed to try to make money?

vince
12-18-2011, 06:57 AM
It's great to get such a detailed account of the hiring process. It's also great to know how seriously and open-mindedly Thompson took everything. It's not surprising that he agonized over hiring McCarthy given his most recent status as OC of the worst offense in football. As it turned out, working with the rookie Alex Smith and the young SF offense was a great training ground for what would be to come.

Silverstein did a great job, but I thought this was a little silly.

An undersized former NFL linebacker, Thompson was no match for the physical and mental toll the decision-making process would take.

Not only was Thompson up to the challenge, but he absolutely nailed it. Hindsight's 20/20, but it's hard to imagine anyone being a better fit for the Thompson Way than Mike McCarthy. I agree that Sean Payton has been a great coach, but even he may have a bit more ego and personality than ideal to mesh so effectively with the understated genius and staunchly principled approach of Thompson. A bigger ego may want to step on him a bit too much, and while Thompson wouldn't be effective at dealing with it on a daily basis, he does carry a very big stick in the long run.

TED THOMPSON FOR PRESIDENT

KYPack
12-18-2011, 07:22 AM
I agree 100%, Vince.

McStubb, with his tie hanging half way down his belly, is an old socks and jocks football coach. Peyton is like a quiz kid. I think TT would be afraid that if he asked Sean a question, Peyton would call Parcells and come up with an answer that would cause things to be done his (SP's) way.

TT went with the ex-toll-booth collector.

George Cumby
12-18-2011, 08:46 AM
TT went with the ex-toll-booth collector.

A lunch-pail guy who meshed well with TT's understated, humble personality and philosophy.

I agree with Vince about the TT was overmatched by the process. When I read that, my reaction was WTF are you talking about?

A great piece though. It's interesting how TT seems to be more and more forth-coming about stuff, now that the team is having success. Can you imagine him giving this kind of access in 2008?

pbmax
12-18-2011, 10:19 AM
are they not supposed to try to make money?

That's a hint, not a critique.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 10:23 AM
I have a hunch that Silverstein's description of the toll the process took was caused by the friend of Thompson who said Ted wasn't sure he wanted to go through this again. During, or perhaps immediately after, I am sure it seemed a near impossible task to be sure about.

Now that he has one under his belt, I am not sure he would so intimidated. Especially since he has seen both success (M3) and the need to make a change (Sherman).

MadtownPacker
12-18-2011, 10:33 AM
That's a hint, not a critique.
Agreed, mraynrand is fucking stupid.

Upnorth
12-18-2011, 10:43 AM
When we go 19-0 I saw we change the official tory to begin "and there was a star in the east that the great ted foretold, a humble star determined to not win close but with power and strenght. And low It came to pass that those of the two consanants, TT MM would find arod of iron and forge it to greatness the way the football gods intended."

jdrats
12-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Saw this article this morning, and I agree, a great read.

Not stated in the article, but what a fantastic legacy for Harlan. First, he put the pieces together to return the Packers greatness after decades of mediocrity via Wolf, then spearheaded the Lambeau renovations, and before he was done, installed perhaps the top football administration the league via TT. Not too shabby.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Saw this article this morning, and I agree, a great read.

Not stated in the article, but what a fantastic legacy for Harlan. First, he put the pieces together to return the Packers greatness after decades of mediocrity via Wolf, then spearheaded the Lambeau renovations, and before he was done, installed perhaps the top football administration the league via TT. Not too shabby.

Agreed on Harlan. It tends to come out in the snarkiest of ways (Christl complaining that the Favre fiasco would never have been allowed under Harlan and Wilde hinting all over Twitter that this stock sale is much more questionable than previous ones and that Murphy is clearly not Harlan), but I don't see why the man cannot be celebrated on his own accomplishments, which are numerous and impressive as CEO/President or whatever the title is.

He caused the resurrection of one of the four signature franchises in the NFL (Giants, Bears, Steelers/Cowboys*) and then hired the third wave of executives that won another Super Bowl. That should be enough for plenty of happy books and magazine articles to be written.

The only mark I can recall of the top of my head is the botched succession plan to transfer the job to Jones. I know the Exec Committee reduced Harlan's role on the search committee and focused more on outside talent. Hardly minimizes his contributions.

* They only count as one since the Steelers were the Clippers for 40 years (people in Pittsburgh refuse to believe that professional football was played before Chuck Noll was their coach and that the man they venerate most (Art Rooney the original) was completely inept until his sons got involved. The Cowboys have existed since only since 1960 so that barely qualifies, I don't care how much that stadium costs.

:)

Joemailman
12-18-2011, 11:38 AM
The Cowboys have existed since only since 1960 so that barely qualifies, I don't care how much that stadium costs.:)

Cowboys have to be content with being the #1 expansion team.