PDA

View Full Version : Newhouse stinks

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2011, 04:12 PM
There were breakdowns across the line. But Newhouse is on skates every play, his guy is always a threat. I know Newhouse keeps sliding & fighting, but he doesn't slow guy down. AR has to constantly move to adjust, and that leaves him vulnerable to other pressure.

I would have said put Sherrod out there, he could do no worse. Now I think we need a faith healer for Clifton. Reggie's gone, Tebow is busy - who?

Joemailman
12-18-2011, 04:14 PM
Newhouse is not good enough for LT. Hopefully Clifton is close.

Freak Out
12-18-2011, 04:26 PM
I didn't see much of the game because of some horrible internet feeds but it looked ugly. We need Cliffy back bad...hopefully he's ok and M3 is just biding his time.

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Sherrod broke leg. no fun, but better than blown knee

Freak Out
12-18-2011, 04:28 PM
TT needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat. :)

vince
12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
There were breakdowns across the line. But Newhouse is on skates every play, his guy is always a threat. I know Newhouse keeps sliding & fighting, but he doesn't slow guy down. AR has to constantly move to adjust, and that leaves him vulnerable to other pressure.

I would have said put Sherrod out there, he could do no worse. Now I think we need a faith healer for Clifton. Reggie's gone, Tebow is busy - who?
Claude-Henry Smoot

Bretsky
12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Been saying this for a long time
The Marshmellow needs to be replaced

Old School
12-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Is it time to give Tauscher a call?

mission
12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Marshall rarely gets beat right out the gate, but he can't hold his block for more than 1.7 seconds and then if Rodgers hesitates at all .................. SACK.

Guy is horrible. I thought Sherrod looked pretty decent before getting hurt.

Offensive line is horrible. Fire Campen. And Slocum.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Newhouse is holding for longer than 1.7, but he doesn't get past 3.0 much. And he doesn't control his guy, he lets them get loose and then they can improvise if Rodgers starts to drift. In a way, he is the worst kind of lineman for Rodgers, who does not stand there like a statue. Newhouse would be better served by following his guy. I'd be stunned if they could find someone better. They need Clifton to play so Newhouse can play RT.

I thought I was simply wishing it to be true before so Sherrod would get a chance, but Newhouse does not have the frame or reach for LT.

And is it my imagination or did two Packers O lineman get hurt by flailing, rolling, out of control Chiefs D lineman in the backfield? Someone should drive a shoulder or elbow into their abdomen or crotch to stop that shit.

Upnorth
12-18-2011, 06:36 PM
As one of the Newhouse defenders, I was wrong. He is okay, but not good enough. Please mr Clifton come back!

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Now the light finally comes on for Harlan. Newhouse doesn't have the technique to maintain satisfactory play as a left tackle. He was pathetic, got Rodgers sacked three times, and knocked down several more times, plus his whif on Hali caused the broken leg to Sherrod. Clifton needs to get healthy, and Bulaga needs to get healthy otherwise this team is a snowball in hell.

Newhouse couldn't get his hands on Hali who continually beat Newhouse, slapping his hands off of him and beating him inside and out. Nott an easy assignment, but every pass play Newhouse got beat.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Just had a frightening thought. EDS is a worse pass blocker than Newhouse, but he will be out there at LG versus the Bears and Lions if Clifton can't play. Ugh.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Now the light finally comes on for Harlan. Newhouse doesn't have the technique to maintain satisfactory play as a left tackle. He was pathetic, got Rodgers sacked three times, and knocked down several more times, plus his whif on Hali caused the broken leg to Sherrod. Clifton needs to get healthy, and Bulaga needs to get healthy otherwise this team is a snowball in hell.

Newhouse couldn't get his hands on Hali who continually beat Newhouse, slapping his hands off of him and beating him inside and out. Nott an easy assignment, but every pass play Newhouse got beat.

Newhouse had some luck getting Hali wide, but he never stuck with him and didn't drive him deep enough. Hali was able to come off that whiff twice to hit Rodgers that I remember.

I think you could ride him, but not with EDS next to him at Guard.

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Now the light finally comes on for Harlan
sharply observed as usual, nutz, I have been a coddler of newhouse, and now i can protect him no longer

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Just had a frightening thought. EDS is a worse pass blocker than Newhouse, but he will be out there at LG versus the Bears and Lions if Clifton can't play. Ugh.

bulaga likely back at RT, right?
so choice is Newhouse-Lang or Lang-EDS on left side.

I guess you are correct if bulaga down for a while.

Guiness
12-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Been saying this for a long time
The Marshmellow needs to be replaced

Since week 6 of this year? I don't think that's a long time. I'm a little disappointed they didn't give Bulaga more reps there, I think they were counting on Sherrod to come along more quickly.

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2011, 06:52 PM
13-3. Packers should shut it down and get healthy.

Guiness
12-18-2011, 06:56 PM
And is it my imagination or did two Packers O lineman get hurt by flailing, rolling, out of control Chiefs D lineman in the backfield? Someone should drive a shoulder or elbow into their abdomen or crotch to stop that shit.

Crips, spoken like a true OL SOB for sure!

Reason DB's run so fast when we're in the backfield is that we know there'll be hell to pay if a guard lays one of his bloody mittens on us!

pittstang5
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Is it time to give Tauscher a call?

Thought of this too, especially if Bulaga is out for a while.

pittstang5
12-18-2011, 06:59 PM

If you could guarantee homefield advantage throughout...I'd be all for it.

Guiness
12-18-2011, 07:01 PM
I know I saw Newhouse ride Hali upfield a couple of times, and Hali got back into the play, but was he that bad overall? It will be interesting on the re-watch, paying more attention to that matchup.

Did they the Newhouse help with chip blocks at all? Not that I saw. I did notice Hali shift over to the right side at least once, after Lang was over there but I don't think anything came of it.

Pugger
12-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know how badly Bulaga is hurt? Did you hear that goofball sideline reporter (I can't think of his name right now) call Bryan Baluga? :lol:

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Newhouse got ass raped in the second half. Rodgers pocket presence fell apart. I can't blame him completely because he had jackshit infront of him in the 4th quarter.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 07:14 PM

Hard to give up home field.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Bulaga has knee sprain and an MRI tomorrow. Sherrod broken leg. No other details.

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2011, 07:24 PM

Won a Super Bowl last year without one home playoff game, better than getting Rodgers laid out.

King Friday
12-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Here's to hoping Bulaga will be back for postseason...his injury did not seem as severe as Jennings'.

Our OL continues to show no signs of taking a step forward to becoming a reliable group. For all that Thompson has done well, his inability to find capable guys on the OL is glaring. Bulaga and Sitton were great additions...but we need to get more than 2 guys every 5-6 years. The lines on both sides of the ball are places where you need a continue flow of talent...getting a contributor a year on average. Rodgers becomes a mediocre QB when he's getting pressured in the pocket...he gets a serious case of happy feet and becomes rather inaccurate.

denverYooper
12-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Bulaga has knee sprain and an MRI tomorrow. Sherrod broken leg. No other details.

Aw shit, the dreaded "knee sprain" + MRI.

I'm guessing he might be out until the playoffs.

denverYooper
12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Won a Super Bowl last year without one home playoff game, better than getting Rodgers laid out.

I'm with Nutz here. Besides the fact that I think GB gets home field in the end anyway, I think their success is going to depend on Rodgers's head (and arm).

pbmax
12-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Different team. Home field does not mean what it once did, but I think our lines need the crowds help to even out the matchup.

George Cumby
12-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Aw shit, the dreaded "knee sprain" + MRI.

I'm guessing he might be out until the playoffs.

Mebbe, but he was on the sideline suited up was he not?

Pugger
12-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Here's to hoping Bulaga will be back for postseason...his injury did not seem as severe as Jennings'.

Our OL continues to show no signs of taking a step forward to becoming a reliable group. For all that Thompson has done well, his inability to find capable guys on the OL is glaring. Bulaga and Sitton were great additions...but we need to get more than 2 guys every 5-6 years. The lines on both sides of the ball are places where you need a continue flow of talent...getting a contributor a year on average. Rodgers becomes a mediocre QB when he's getting pressured in the pocket...he gets a serious case of happy feet and becomes rather inaccurate.

Really? If our O line was from L --> R = Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton and Bulaga I don't think anybody would be complaining. Plus TT drafted Sherrod to take Cliffy's place in the future. Unfortunately we are getting hit on the O line right now. :-(

denverYooper
12-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Mebbe, but he was on the sideline suited up was he not?

Yup. Standing and looking like he kinda wanted to go in when Sherrod got wasted.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Bulaga said he planned to go back in but could not get his knee loosened up. Its the same knee he hurt earlier this year.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
There is plenty of talent on the O line. Lang, Sitton, Bulaga, Sherrod and Newhouse are all from the last four years, aren't they?

No team has a starting capable LT on the bench except the Packers, and he broke his leg. Newhouse had a bad game, but he isn't a tire fire. Hali is an All-Pro DE. Problem is, Peppers and Vandenbosch are next.

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2011, 08:06 PM

If the Steelers win tomorrow night, we wouldn't be giving up anything. I've changed my tune and I agree with Nutz. It's obvious that this team needs to get healthy.

Bretsky
12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
No team has a starting capable LT on the bench except the Packers, and he broke his leg. Newhouse had a bad game, but he isn't a tire fire. Hali is an All-Pro DE. Problem is, Peppers and Vandenbosch are next.

I haven't seen enough of Sherrod to consider him starting capable
I've venture to say even if he is there are certainly other teams with starting capable LT's on the bench.
Newhouse has had a lot of bad games and doensn't belong in a starting linup at this point

If you'd have told me before today Green Bay was going to lose I'd have said it was a combination of turnovers and the Marshmellow getting ripped apart. I would have been half right

Bretsky
12-18-2011, 08:11 PM
If the Steelers win tomorrow night, we wouldn't be giving up anything. I've changed my tune and I agree with Nutz. It's obvious that this team needs to get healthy.

Absolutely agree; once we secure home field the last two games really don't matter much. Getting healthy and getting homefield for the NFC Championship against the Saints is key

King Friday
12-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Really? If our O line was from L --> R = Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton and Bulaga I don't think anybody would be complaining.

No...but Clifton clearly can't make it through an entire season at this point, so expecting him to be there is a luxury. The starting 5 is good...yeah, but there is precious little behind them. Very tough to think that a 5 deep OL (with one of those guys as brittle as glass) is good enough when your entire team is based on offensive proficiency from your QB, who apparently gets flustered easily by a pass rush.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 08:18 PM

I dunno. This team's peak was a month ago. If they don't play healthy starters, then nothing is going to go well in the playoffs.

If they ran the table playing lights out, then rest late. But the starters have to get it together first. That is how this team got hot last year. Health or no, they played right to the end.

Pugger
12-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Absolutely agree; once we secure home field the last two games really don't matter much. Getting healthy and getting homefield for the NFC Championship against the Saints is key

A lot of folks think it will be the Saints but who knows? The Saints lost to the Rams and Tampa in October ya know...

Bretsky
12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
A lot of folks think it will be the Saints but who knows? The Saints lost to the Rams and Tampa in October ya know...

The Saints look like Green Bay at the end of last year
They are peaking

It would be great if San Fran got the two seed and knocked them off but I think the Saints are too good and it would not suprise me if they find a way to the Super Bowl

pbmax
12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
No...but Clifton clearly can't make it through an entire season at this point, so expecting him to be there is a luxury. The starting 5 is good...yeah, but there is precious little behind them. Very tough to think that a 5 deep OL (with one of those guys as brittle as glass) is good enough when your entire team is based on offensive proficiency from your QB, who apparently gets flustered easily by a pass rush.

Its not exactly flustered by any pass rush. Its either a jail break or a 4 man rush that is so good he needs to keep a sixth blocker in to keep the pocket in shape. Then four receivers are going against seven defenders and no one is beating that single coverage and catching the ball. That is the problem.

If they blitzed and put pressure on him, opening a hole or giving him multiple single coverage, he has been killing it all season.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 08:25 PM

I just don't know who you think is going to have 2 possible starting left tackles on the roster better than Newhouse. If you discount Clifton due to injury, the Packers could trot out Bulaga, Newhouse and Sherrod. That is 2 first round tackles and a 4th round find. The Steelers pulled two former players they had jettisoned previously, off the street to play for them this year.

Bretsky
12-18-2011, 08:28 PM
I just don't know who you think is going to have 2 possible starting left tackles on the roster better than Newhouse. If you discount Clifton due to injury, the Packers could trot out Bulaga, Newhouse and Sherrod. That is 2 first round tackles and a 4th round find. The Steelers pulled two former players they had jettisoned previously, off the street to play for them this year.

You value Newhouse way way more than I do. I think there are plenty of teams with backup LT's as good as he is. Heck, we cut Breno Giacomonomini...the Italian Stallion....he was starting for Seattle a couple weeks ago. I don't know if he's better than the Schmellow but I doubt he's worse either

denverYooper
12-18-2011, 08:34 PM

So here's what I'm wondering: what does the outcome need to be tonight for Big Ben to play? Because the word I'd heard was that he'd play depending on the outcome of tonight's game. I'm guessing that the Chargers need to win but I'm not sure.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 08:43 PM
You value Newhouse way way more than I do. I think there are plenty of teams with backup LT's as good as he is. Heck, we cut Breno Giacomonomini...the Italian Stallion....he was starting for Seattle a couple weeks ago. I don't know if he's better than the Schmellow but I doubt he's worse either

Never a left tackle with the Packers. Even if he is there, he isn't backing up Clifton. And the Seachickens stink out loud on offense most of the time.

Joemailman
12-18-2011, 08:49 PM
So here's what I'm wondering: what does the outcome need to be tonight for Big Ben to play? Because the word I'd heard was that he'd play depending on the outcome of tonight's game. I'm guessing that the Chargers need to win but I'm not sure.

They're tied for the division lead. I don't buy the idea that his playing status would depend on what Baltimore does.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 08:58 PM
They're tied for the division lead. I don't buy the idea that his playing status would depend on what Baltimore does.

But if Balt loses, the Steelers could erase their tiebreaker edge and take a one game lead. I could see it. Seems very Ben-ish.

denverYooper
12-18-2011, 09:05 PM
But if Balt loses, the Steelers could erase their tiebreaker edge and take a one game lead. I could see it. Seems very Ben-ish.

They were discussing it on Cecil Lammey's fantasy football advice show on sports radio here. I wasn't paying enough attention but they said something about Ben possibly playing depending on what happens tonight. I missed the part about what would need to happen but I was assuming it's something along these lines.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 09:12 PM
The Steelers have, as per usual, been playing it close to the vest. There have been official reports (sourced media reports) that its a Grade 1 sprain. But the rumors are that he is much more doubtful than that sounds.

denverYooper
12-18-2011, 09:23 PM
We'll find out soon. The Chargers are strafing this "elite" D.

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Newhouse had a bad game, but he isn't a tire fire. Hali is an All-Pro DE. Problem is, Peppers and Vandenbosch are next.

Any LT who can't slow down a quality rusher is a tire fire. LTs typically face a good player.

King Friday
12-18-2011, 10:07 PM

Newhouse and Sherrod are subpar OTs...period. They are inexperienced as hell, and not that great technically either. Newhouse is a late round rookie...you can't have him be the #1 backup at tackle on a team with Clifton on the starting lineup if you expect to get through the year without some serious issues.

That's my point. The OL was an issue from day one in the Thompson era...initially on the interior, but moving to the tackles as Clifton and Tausch aged. Thompson's has three solid draft selections Bulaga, Sitton and Lang. The rest of his picks have been mediocre for the most part, and he's had a couple rather disappointing picks. The fact that he's STILL counting on Clifton and has yet to find a capable replacement for him is a black mark in my book. Thompson's not perfect...he has SOME flaws, and it seems he and his staff aren't the greatest at finding OL talent. However that gets fixed, it better happen sooner than later with a franchise QB like Rodgers on the roster.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 10:43 PM
We played this game two years ago. Where are the better backup left tackles? Jared Gaither just started for the Chargers off the waiver wire twice in this season. The Steelers during this season have started two tackles off the street. You are blaming Thompson for having inexperience at LT. The experience that is out there cannot keep their jobs. Its supply and demand and the supply stinks right now.

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2011, 09:47 AM
The fact that he's STILL counting on Clifton and has yet to find a capable replacement for him is a black mark in my book.
Well, teams don't get to time everything perfectly. Seems to me that using a #1 on an LT for backup was as prudent as can be expected. It is not clear if Sherrod will pan out, but he was rated high, GMs have no crystal ball.

If there was a fault this year it was in not preparing Sherrod for LT. I agreed with trying him at guard last summer, but now that looks like big mistake.

Deputy Nutz
12-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Newhouse alone has problems on the left side, but now you slide EDS in at left guard and that left side of the line is a cupcake. Not good if you are Aaron Rodgers. For a backup Newhouse has been servicable since he can play several positions, and Sherrod just came along too slowly. Sherrod was doing an ok job for the two series he was in before he was hurt. If Sherrod heals up he might have some abilty as a left tackle in 2012 but I think he is going to struggle because he is going to miss tons of time in the off season recovering from this leg injury. The Packers are probably going to have to get a veteran left tackle for next season or go with Newhouse again.

smuggler
12-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Nutz,

If it's strictly a bone injury, not a joint injury, Sherrod should not miss much, if any, of the offseason training programs. Add in a joint, and yeah, he may be hard-pressed to make it back by training camp.

Pugger
12-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I'm with Nutz here. Besides the fact that I think GB gets home field in the end anyway, I think their success is going to depend on Rodgers's head (and arm).

Not if we lose to Chicago and Detroit and the 49ers win out.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Well, teams don't get to time everything perfectly. Seems to me that using a #1 on an LT for backup was as prudent as can be expected. It is not clear if Sherrod will pan out, but he was rated high, GMs have no crystal ball.

If there was a fault this year it was in not preparing Sherrod for LT. I agreed with trying him at guard last summer, but now that looks like big mistake.

They picked Bulaga the year before, too but he turned out to be a great RT. It's not like they're just sitting around without a plan for the OL and hoping Cliffy can continue to duct tape himself back together.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Not if we lose to Chicago and Detroit and the 49ers win out.

I understand how the math works, I'm just saying that I think the odds are still better that the Packers win one or the 9ers drop one. San Fran has to play a Pittsburgh team that now has a chance to win their division and then come off a short week to play a feisty-looking Seahawks team in Seattle on Saturday on a short week. They'll have 2 games in before GB has to play on Sunday night and the Packers will have a good view of what they need to do at that point.

I'm not sure what the Lions have to do with it. They're 9-5 and wouldn't be able to wrest HFA from the Packers.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
I understand how the math works, I'm just saying that I think the odds are still better that the Packers win one or the 9ers drop one. San Fran has to play a Pittsburgh team that now has a chance to win their division and then come off a short week to play a feisty-looking Seahawks team in Seattle on Saturday on a short week. They'll have 2 games in before GB has to play on Sunday night and the Packers will have a good view of what they need to do at that point.

I'm not sure what the Lions have to do with it. They're 9-5 and wouldn't be able to wrest HFA from the Packers.

Unless you're implying that the Packers lose in that scenario and it's a complicated way of saying that the 49ers win out and the Packers lose out.

pbmax
12-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Nutz,

If it's strictly a bone injury, not a joint injury, Sherrod should not miss much, if any, of the offseason training programs. Add in a joint, and yeah, he may be hard-pressed to make it back by training camp.

I read that if he broke the larger bone (tibia) in his lower leg (or both) that the recovery time is much longer and tougher.

George Cumby
12-19-2011, 01:31 PM
I read that if he broke the larger bone (tibia) in his lower leg (or both) that the recovery time is much longer and tougher.

Right, and it's dependent on what type of fracture, some of the fractures can be really problematic.

Here's a good link:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00522

MadScientist
12-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Nutz,

The two injuries that come to mind are Joe Theisman (career ending, but he was older and there were complications in the recovery) and closer to home, Mike Flanagan, who took 2 years to recover. Given the poor play of Newhouse, this may force the Packers hand to draft another OT in the first round. I'm not holding my breath that Sherrod will be ready to play at all next year.

pbmax
12-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Didn't Mike Flanagan suffer that break, plus other assorted ligament damage and an infection when he was a rookie?

Upnorth
12-19-2011, 02:59 PM
There is usually a good DL or OL at the 32nd pick, both are needs.

Bretsky
12-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Wonder what Tausch is doing these days ?????

mission
12-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Damn so Sherrod really, really broke his leg? Like a 2-year deal?

pittstang5
12-20-2011, 07:13 AM
What about shuffling the line even more?

EDS at LG scares me, so what about putting him at RG or Center - meaning Sitton plays LG or Wells plays LG and leaving Newhouse and Lang at the tackles.

I know, Wells and Sitton are very good at C and RG respectively, but it's not like they'll be there permanantly. I don't know enough about line play to know if that would work at all, but it couldn't be much worse.

Another thought, could Sitton play RT. That way Lang, Newhouse and Wells stay where they are and EDS goes back to RG.

pbmax
12-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Sitton is probably not big enough to play tackle and Wells is too small to play Guard. Plus, if you start shuffling, then you weaken even more positions.

As for switching sides, EDS-Sitton, I am not sure it would help the tackles much. Lang hasn't been out at RT in a long while and EDS next to him will be tough too.

pbmax
12-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Damn so Sherrod really, really broke his leg? Like a 2-year deal?

Yes, it was a two bone break, tibia and fibula. Its going to take more than the usual amount of time for a break. Newhouse needs to elbow Hali in the nuts 4 years from now.

Guiness
12-20-2011, 08:39 AM
What about shuffling the line even more?

EDS at LG scares me, so what about putting him at RG or Center - meaning Sitton plays LG or Wells plays LG and leaving Newhouse and Lang at the tackles.

I know, Wells and Sitton are very good at C and RG respectively, but it's not like they'll be there permanantly. I don't know enough about line play to know if that would work at all, but it couldn't be much worse.

Another thought, could Sitton play RT. That way Lang, Newhouse and Wells stay where they are and EDS goes back to RG.

Some interesting shuffles in mind there.

It might depend on Bulaga's status. If he's back, then it's a moot point. Also, EDS's problem might have been that he hasn't had any reps at LG.

The suggestion that Wells slide to guard - I'm guessing a lot of posters here remember the train wreck that he was out there last time. Not good.

If Sitton can play RT, that might be a good choice. EDS showed he can play RG, so you'd only end up with one guy out of position.

What about Dominguez?

hoosier
12-20-2011, 09:33 AM
It sounds like it's Newhouse / EDS / Wells / Sitton / Lang for week 16, with Dominguez and someone else as backups. They probably promote Chris Campbell from the PS to replace Sherrod. Not good, especially against Chicago.

If you're McCarthy, how do you protect Rodgers with what is likely to be a very shaky offensive line against Peppers and friends? This is a tough situation, with the Packers suddenly feeling a little pressure to secure home field advantage and prove to themselves that last week was a fluke. I would feel much better about things if Bulaga were able to play.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
If you're McCarthy, how do you protect Rodgers with what is likely to be a very shaky offensive line against Peppers and friends?

easy, start Flynn. Given all the injuries, the Packers need to play as many second stringers as possible.

I haven't watched the San Fran-Steeler game yet, if anybody tells me the score I'll kick them in the balls, but even if SF won, I say MM ought to play it very conservatively next two weeks.

denverYooper
12-20-2011, 10:59 AM
It sounds like it's Newhouse / EDS / Wells / Sitton / Lang for week 16, with Dominguez and someone else as backups. They probably promote Chris Campbell from the PS to replace Sherrod. Not good, especially against Chicago.

If you're McCarthy, how do you protect Rodgers with what is likely to be a very shaky offensive line against Peppers and friends? This is a tough situation, with the Packers suddenly feeling a little pressure to secure home field advantage and prove to themselves that last week was a fluke. I would feel much better about things if Bulaga were able to play.

Hopefully more quick hitters, screens, runs. I'd sure hope they'll be writing a different game plan this week due to the line. Maybe we'll see more looks out of the 4 TE set.

One pawsitive is that Grant and Finley have had success against the Bears. I imagine they are key pieces.

Pugger
12-20-2011, 11:02 AM

We'll need to keep a RB or TE in to help with pass pro. It will be good if we can get either Starks or Saine (or both) back in there.

pbmax
12-20-2011, 11:03 AM
easy, start Flynn. Given all the injuries, the Packers need to play as many second stringers as possible.

I haven't watched the San Fran-Steeler game yet, if anybody tells me the score I'll kick them in the balls, but even if SF won, I say MM ought to play it very conservatively next two weeks.

The forum is not allowed to discuss the score in passing more than 15 hours after it was played?

Even the morning paper has it. Are you waiting for newsreel coverage?

Cheesehead Craig
12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
The forum is not allowed to discuss the score in passing more than 15 hours after it was played?

Even the morning paper has it. Are you waiting for newsreel coverage?

Harlan must have moved to Canada where the internet and TV are slower.

hoosier
12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Resting healthy starters is not an option now. I don't think it would have been considered even if they had HFA sewed up. McCarthy has shown that he believes in finishing strong, which I agree with. I would just like to feel more confident about their ability to handle the Bears while keeping Rodgers clean.

denverYooper
12-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Newhouse will get a little help being at home and playing someone who is not Tamba Hali or JPP.

Bossman641
12-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Newhouse will get a little help being at home and playing someone who is not Tamba Hali or JPP.

He gets Peppers instead

denverYooper
12-20-2011, 12:25 PM
He gets Peppers instead

Yah. Although Peppers's pass rush is not what it once was. I actually thought JPP looked like a younger, faster Pep.

hoosier
12-20-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't know (haven't watched the Bears this year) but last year Peppers didn't look like he'd lost much. And he has 10 sacks this year, for what that is worth.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Resting healthy starters is not an option now. I don't think it would have been considered even if they had HFA sewed up. McCarthy has shown that he believes in finishing strong, which I agree with. I would just like to feel more confident about their ability to handle the Bears while keeping Rodgers clean.

I was exaggerating when I said start Flynn. But McCarthy should not stick stubbornly to his preferred philosophy, circumstances have changed. As others have said, more pass protection, as a minimum. And play backups wherever possible. Gotta be smart.

BTW, the San Fran score came across the wireless, so the blackout is called off. That was one lousy game, Rothesberger on one leg is no good.

hoosier
12-20-2011, 02:31 PM
I was exaggerating when I said start Flynn. But McCarthy should not stick stubbornly to his preferred philosophy, circumstances have changed. As others have said, more pass protection, as a minimum. And play backups wherever possible. Gotta be smart.

BTW, the San Fran score came across the wireless, so the blackout is called off. That was one lousy game, Rothesberger on one leg is no good.

I think experience has shown that McCarthy will only play backups once the final outcome is no longer in doubt, or when the starter is already banged up. In this case that means Bulaga is out but the other starters are almost certainly in for the entire game, or until the Bears fold.

denverYooper
12-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Fear not! The Packers have signed Tackle extraordinaire Herb Taylor!

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-sign-T-Taylor-place-T-Sherrod-on-injured-reserve/0ecb6c53-f47f-4c68-bed6-eebc4a9d8192

Upnorth
12-20-2011, 03:47 PM
WERE SAVED!!!

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2011, 05:29 PM
I think experience has shown that McCarthy will only play backups once the final outcome is no longer in doubt, or when the starter is already banged up. In this case that means Bulaga is out but the other starters are almost certainly in for the entire game, or until the Bears fold.
I'll bet you $10,000 that experience doesn't mean squat this time.

Harlan Huckleby
12-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Fear not! The Packers have signed Tackle extraordinaire Herb Taylor! Another TCU tackle. He & Newhouse probably played on same line, TT is looking for more of that Newhouse magic. Scary to think that Newhouse is undoubtably much better.

hoosier
12-20-2011, 07:33 PM
I'll bet you $10,000 that experience doesn't mean squat this time.

F*** your $10,000, you don't have $10,000. Let's bet a LaBamba bigger-than-your-head chorizo burrito slathered with green picante and jalapeƱos. The loser has to eat the f***er...and suffer the consequences the next day.

I predict he will sit only Bulaga and the other obviously injured starters (Clifton, Jennings, Bishop). He won't he pull any healthy starters unless the outcome is already decided.

Pugger
12-20-2011, 10:45 PM
He gets Peppers instead

I'll be pissed at MM if he doesn't keep a TE or RB in there to help Newhouse Sunday night. :x

Bretsky
12-21-2011, 06:32 AM
I'll be pissed at MM if he doesn't keep a TE or RB in there to help Newhouse Sunday night. :x

There lies the complication
Keep an extra TE in and then you have one less WR

Our best route runner is out and that leaves the best CB to shut down Jordy and an additional person in the secondary to help out on Finley

mraynrand
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Newhouse is rapidly climbing the "Most Hated Packer" ladder. Will he reach Gabe Wilkins, Buckley or Carroll status, or will he top out at 'Ole Cleedeeus levels? If you remember, 'Ole Cleedeeus was driven out of town - pitchforks and boiling oil....

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/Cleedeeusinuhaultruck.jpg

Pugger
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
There lies the complication
Keep an extra TE in and then you have one less WR

Our best route runner is out and that leaves the best CB to shut down Jordy and an additional person in the secondary to help out on Finley

The health and well being of our fabulous QB should be priority #1. Without him we won't be in Indy in Feb.

Freak Out
12-21-2011, 01:42 PM
JJ steps up big. You heard it here first. :)

Joemailman
12-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I think Newhouse will rebound. Being able to hear the snap count will help him. I'm more worried about EDS at LG.

denverYooper
12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Jeez. According to FO, Newhouse is tied for 4th in sacks allowed this year. Yikes! Could be worse, I guess... Chicago has 2 tackles on there. Maybe not a coincidence that their QB is gone.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2011/under-pressure-whimper

Sacks Allowed Leaders, through Week 15, 2011
Player Team Sacks Allowed
Guy Whimper JAC 12
Wayne Hunter NYJ 9.5
Levi Brown ARI 9
Anthony Davis SF 8.5
Lance Louis CHI 8.5
Newhouse GB 8.5
Marc Colombo MIA 8
Jeff Backus DET 7.5
Rodger Saffold STL 7.5
Eugene Monroe JAC 7
J'Marcus Webb CHI 7
J. Carpenter SEA 7
Phil Loadholt MIN 7

Harlan Huckleby
12-23-2011, 01:35 PM
The worst lineman in the NFL can't really be named Guy Whimper. That is a gag.

Harlan Huckleby
12-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Newhouse is rapidly climbing the "Most Hated Packer" ladder.

nah, fans don't hate low round draft picks who are backups.

Upnorth
12-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Great great game newhouse last night. All the oline played well. Not bad for 3 backups.

Carolina_Packer
12-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Glad to see someone bump a negative thread with a positive comment where it's due. Not to turn negative, but I'm more concerned going into the playoffs about the run defense and the lack of pressure from the D than protecting Rodgers. Rodgers can create some space himself. Just give him and the receivers a little time and look what they can do. The D can't seem to get teams off the field. We are very similar to New England in a lot of respects. Everyone knows how good our QB and receivers are, we don't have much of a run game and our defense is bend, don't break, but gives up too many yards and doesn't get teams off the field on 3rd down enough. It would be interesting if that was the Super Bowl matchup. Wonder what the over/under on points would be.

mmmdk
12-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Amazing job by Newhouse; took his play to an unseen level.

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 09:55 AM
One thing that will be a really big help for Newhouse will be that bye week. He's a young guy who's bounced around a lot. I think a good full week being able to just work on the details of his pass set will help him with consistency.

He's a young guy. He's going from Jared Allen to Jason Pierre Paul to Tamba Hali to Julius Peppers without so much as a breath of fresh air. . . . He hasn't had a lot of LT work in his short career and came out of a non-pro technique college. It doesn't sound like a lot, but I think taking a step back for a week and getting those basic things sured up a little can help him down the stretch.

mraynrand
12-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Peppers was almost as invisible as The Turd on Wheels. Remarkable.

pbmax
12-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Wow. I came here to defend Newhouse and everyone beat me to it. I would say that Newhouse, while it was one of his best efforts (also some nice run blocks), did manage to not lay a glove on Peppers a couple of time. But Peppers had to go way wide to do it and Newhouse stayed with him and kept him from rounding back to Rodgers, unlike what he did with Hali.

They also seemed to better react to that stunt they had trouble with last week. EDS looked OK.

esoxx
12-26-2011, 11:26 AM
The problem is you don't know what you're going to get from week to week. He's had some good games followed by some real stinkers. LT is the one position more than any other where consistency is demanded as the blind side protector. Chad Clifton - consistent; Ken Ruettgers - consistent. Those guys weren't all-world but you knew what you were getting.
If bad M.N. shows up in a post-season game, it will be hard to overcome.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Newhouse was shaky in first quarter. I thought "here we go again." Rest of way, he played strong on pass & run. The whole line played well.

pbmax
12-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Newhouse was shaky in first quarter. I thought "here we go again." Rest of way, he played strong on pass & run. The whole line played well.

I think its hard to evaluate the home guys sometimes, because you get used to a certain standard of play and any drop off looks catastrophic. But by almost every measure, the unit last night played pretty well. They were at home with the better QB and WRs, but that Bears front seven is good and they held them off. When the Packers went to two backs, they even ran pretty well.

People have been speculating about how home field might hurt the Packers in the playoffs? I suppose that is possible, but it will be a huge boon to one group of players: the Offensive Line.

Harlan Huckleby
12-26-2011, 12:22 PM
People have been speculating about how home field might hurt the Packers in the playoffs? I suppose that is possible, but it will be a huge boon to one group of players: the Offensive Line. Good point. I always think about QB & recievers in passing game, but the line is only thing that can stop this team.

Upnorth
12-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Thinking back, and looking back over a few lowlights, Newhouse tends to get beat when he tries to stick close to the Guard rather than just following his man. Has he been expecting a lot of inside movement and droppping his man outside? When he has played well he regularly has his back to the rest of the line as he pivots out following his man, but when he play poor he doesnot follow the natural movement of the play. Has anyone else noticed this? Could it be lack of confidence or overthinking?

Pugger
12-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Newhouse was probably overthinking and we have to remember how young he is. Cliffy is a wily old vet and if his back and hammy holds up this week against the loins MM has an interesting decision to make. Cliffy was great in the playoffs last year.

Fritz
12-27-2011, 02:05 PM
That will be a tough call. I'm guessing if Cliffy holds up you gotta go with the wiley vet.

Bretsky
12-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Newhouse still stinks; he had a good ending but he's nobody I want to rely on at this point in his career
Get Cliffy ready asap

gbgary
12-27-2011, 09:53 PM
read a few things from different sources this week about the o-line's performance against chi. lots of praise for everyone.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Newhouse still stinks; he had a good ending but he's nobody I want to rely on at this point in his career
Get Cliffy ready asap

I think that's overly harsh. I think he's held his own. He's had some bad games, but they've left him out there by himself a lot and he's faced a plethora of top pass rushers. This isn't Allen Barbre. I think Newhouse has a good future.

Joemailman
12-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Newhouse may not quite have the ability to be a good LT, but could be a starter elsewhere on the line in the future. He's a tough guy who has shown the ability to bounce back from a sub-par performance. MM wants Clifton to play this week, so we may see Newhouse back at RT if Bulaga doesn't play.

Harlan Huckleby
12-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Newhouse may not quite have the ability to be a good LT, but could be a starter elsewhere on the line in the future. He's a tough guy who has shown the ability to bounce back from a sub-par performance. MM wants Clifton to play this week, so we may see Newhouse back at RT if Bulaga doesn't play.

I predict Newhouse returns to bench while Cliffy plays some snaps, because the lineup peformed last week, why reshuffle more than necessary? But will be interesting to see if you are right.

I would say Newhouse is tackle, not a guard, probably will develop into a starter for some team, but not certain.

mmmdk
12-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Wow. I came here to defend Newhouse and everyone beat me to it.

It's okay man! :hug:

RashanGary
12-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I think that's overly harsh. I think he's held his own. He's had some bad games, but they've left him out there by himself a lot and he's faced a plethora of top pass rushers. This isn't Allen Barbre. I think Newhouse has a good future.

I do too. One thing I read in McGinn's scout quotes is that it's very hard to judge OL from schools that don't have pro-style OL coaching. Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Alabama, etc. . . . They teach pro technique. Scouts can see clearly what a guy has because they're doing it the same way they'll be doing it in the NFL. If they're good at it in college, chances are they'll be good at it in the pros.

It was a big knock on Sherrod and a big plus for Carpenter coming out. Newhouse faces a similar challenge to Sherrod. He's had to learn all new technique. It takes time to ingrain that muscle memory and trust in the technique. He's bounced around too.

I'm turning into a fan of Newhouse. From where he came, what he's had to overcome. . . . . McCarthy talks about players being, "on time." On time is different for every player. For Shields, it would be different than a top prospect coming out of Saban's defense. For Sherrod, it's going to be different than Bulaga. I think all things considered, Newhouse is, "on time." He's well below average right now, but I think there are teams with worse starting LT's that Marshall Newhouse right now. I'd like to have a better LT today, but he's not killing us either.

If I had to bet on it, I'm betting Newhouse becomes a staple of the Packers OL for years to come. If I had to guess his position, I'm going to say LT. With Sherrods knee injury, he's really turned into a project, even more than he already was. The way Newhouse is trending, Sherrod might never get a chance to replace him. Newhouse seems like a durable guy too. He's athletic, seems loose.

I like him a lot and I think the two week span he's going to get going into the playoffs is going to be a great chance for him to get a little refresher on his technique. Even guys like Rodgers, Sitton, Raji, Matthews. . . . Coaches talk about taking time to keep re-establishing their foot and leverage technique. The best of the best benefit from it. Newhouse has had a fast and furious introduction to the NFL. Somehow I doubt he has a lot of time to just focus on solidifying his technique.

My prediction. . . . . Newhouse surprises us and plays solid ball in the playoffs. He keeps his spot. Cliffy was doing a better job keeping his body between the defender and the QB, but he was getting shoved back right into Rodgers lap. Newhouse tends to get beat outside but recovers to push the DL backward. AR can usually step up and the strength of our OL is inside. For our offense, Newhouse's weaknesses aren't as painful as they could be and I don't think they're as permanent (even in the short term) as they're made out to be.

Bossman641
12-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Rodgers had high praise for Newhouse

"That’s not my decision on who is going to ultimately play there," Rodgers said. "Can’t say enough about the job Marshall has done. Starting the season out, I didn't look at Marshall the way I look at him now. I look at him now as a guy who really has a strong, legitimate chance to be the left tackle of the future. I think he has the personality makeup to do that, the athletic ability to do that, the feet and the smarts to be a very, very solid left tackle for us.

"Chad has been a guy who’s been so consistent for us through the years. Getting him back would mean either depth or a guy that can be plugged in right away and play. Mike has mentioned he'd like to see Chad play some plays this week in order to know if he can go with him in the playoffs.

"That being said, whoever is in there at left tackle, there will be a lot of confidence. Again, I thought Marshall played his butt off on Sunday against the Bears and I'm not surprised. It's not a performance that surprised me when he goes out there and plays the way he does."

Deputy Nutz
12-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Newhouse had a great game against the Bears, with Clifton returning this week it will be interesting to see how the Packers line up in the playoffs. I assume that Clifton will get hurt this week so their won't be much for discussion.

pbmax
12-29-2011, 11:10 AM
If I had to guess his position, I'm going to say LT. With Sherrods knee injury, he's really turned into a project, even more than he already was. The way Newhouse is trending, Sherrod might never get a chance to replace him. Newhouse seems like a durable guy too. He's athletic, seems loose.

Do you mean broken tibia and fibula or has there been an update on his condition that I missed?

Fritz
12-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Broken leg. Not the knee.

I like Newhouse but I do wish he'd stay on guys a little instead of guiding them, then letting off. When his man falls down, I want Newhouse to fall on top of him.

sharpe1027
12-29-2011, 04:50 PM

I like Newhouse but I do wish he'd stay on guys a little instead of guiding them, then letting off. When his man falls down, I want Newhouse to fall on top of him.

I agree with this. When I watched Newhouse specifically, he showed pretty good footwork by staying between his man and Rodgers initially, but he doesn't seem to engage early or stay engaged for very long. Maybe he is still a bit tentative and not very aggressive? Seems like a minor complaint compared to the days of Barbre.

Fritz
12-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Minor, but important. I've seen a few plays in which he guides his man behind Rodgers, then lets up just enough for his man to come after Rodgers from behind as Rodgers takes off. I've also seen plays in which Newhouse's man slips and falls - and Marshall just stands there, looking. In one instance, it was Jared Allen, and he immediately got up and tackled Rodgers as he went by.

Come on, Marshall. Engage your man, and if that man goes down, flop your big southern ass on top of him and lay there like a hippo on a chihuaha.

bobblehead
12-30-2011, 07:11 AM

I remember college doing that in the red zone last year and packer nation went NUTS because if he had stayed on his feet he could have made a key block on someone else.

HarveyWallbangers
12-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Minor, but important. I've seen a few plays in which he guides his man behind Rodgers, then lets up just enough for his man to come after Rodgers from behind as Rodgers takes off. I've also seen plays in which Newhouse's man slips and falls - and Marshall just stands there, looking. In one instance, it was Jared Allen, and he immediately got up and tackled Rodgers as he went by.

Come on, Marshall. Engage your man, and if that man goes down, flop your big southern ass on top of him and lay there like a hippo on a chihuaha.

I think you hit on what I see the biggest weakness being for Newhouse. I think it's something that is coachable--which is why I have a lot of hope for him.

pbmax
12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
I remember college doing that in the red zone last year and packer nation went NUTS because if he had stayed on his feet he could have made a key block on someone else.

Its a tough call, but if the QB is in the pocket, you need to keep that guy down. If the QB or runner/receiver is breaking free, the haul off down the field. Its not always possible to know exactly where the ball is if things have not gone according to plan.