PDA

View Full Version : The Safety Valve is Leaking

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2011, 06:50 PM
The Packers' safeties are absolutely terrible. Play action completely ate Preprah for lunch, tight ends running straight down the field off of play action and Peprah is chasing a tight end in Pope that runs a 5.4 forty.

Burnett didn't play any better, he is worthless in run support and isn't very assignment sure. poor tackler. This team misses Nck Collins in a very bad way.

Middle linebackers are pretty bad as well, but they are getting walled off and destroyed by blockers because the defensive line isn't doing a good job at controlling the line of scrimmage. No pass rush not even from Mathews and the Chiefs don't exactly have a good offensive line.

Good redzone defense

pbmax
12-18-2011, 06:57 PM
I saw Peprah lose the TE to play action once and the ILB were nowhere to be found in coverage in the middle short zones. At least Shields and Tramon have stepped up. Saw Woodson slip on otherwise good coverage. Several times this season it seems like the equipment guys have taken a holiday.

I would really like to know how the Chiefs keep running wide left (their left, D's right) to completely open field about four times in the game. I saw Walden set good edges a few times, but other times there was no support to string the play out.

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Because you have a couple of shitty defensive ends on that side of the field that can't hold point. Inside linebackers get walled off by the tight ends and the safeties take a completely shitty angle of pursuit. That is how it happens. I say Peprah get beat several times on play action, once on Pope down the seam and one to Becht down the middle. Hawk is usually responsible for the running backs out of the backfield and Smith didn't get deep enough on one or two plays, but they are inside backers I expect them to react to run then pass.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Because you have a couple of shitty defensive ends on that side of the field that can't hold point. Inside linebackers get walled off by the tight ends and the safeties take a completely shitty angle of pursuit. That is how it happens. I say Peprah get beat several times on play action, once on Pope down the seam and one to Becht down the middle. Hawk is usually responsible for the running backs out of the backfield and Smith didn't get deep enough on one or two plays, but they are inside backers I expect them to react to run then pass.

You may be right. Does missing Pickett play a role? Green was at nose a lot and if they single block him they could double Raji at end and still send a guard to stop one ILB. That leaves the TE for the other. Perhaps they would have to double Pickett or he would penetrate and screw up the Guards or the RB.

I might have to watch the replay because while teams have gotten outside on the Packers earlier this year, its usually been a race or a cutback with bad tackling. Today four times there was nothing there. Still, would have expected to see that versus the Giants while Francois and Smith were out there. The Giants just kept sending Jacobs off tackle.

I remember Peprah on Becht, didn't see him on Pope, but wasn't sure who had him.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Walden admits he was benched for bad play in this game. One reporter had Zombo in for some of the bad runs. If it wasn't those runs, what else was Walden doing wrong?

Deputy Nutz
12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Walden was washed out on several plays and then Zombo got washed down on the clinching first down run.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Walden was washed out on several plays and then Zombo got washed down on the clinching first down run.

Gotcha. Those runs. I had started to tune out and move the XMas tree into the house at that point.

King Friday
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
The defense struggled today...and has all year obviously. However, they did their part for the most part IMO. By the 4th quarter, they were completely gassed because the offense flat out did not show up today. Rodgers looked horrible. The pass rush completely got to him. He had happy feet all day and was horribly inaccurate as a result. The offensive game plan was a joke. McCarthy should get a pass obviously, as the team won 19 games in a row. However, the notion of motioning Grant out of the backfield on a 3rd-and-1 to leave only Kuhn in the backfield is one of the most stupid things I've ever seen. You may has well just tell the front seven that the run is going up the middle. Sticking Cobb out there to take a direct snap? The Chiefs couldn't get the right number of guys on the field at any point during the game, yet the Packers never once went into a hurry up to take advantage of those issues.

To me, it seems we have completely lost the ability to throw short passes. We either run the ball or throw 30 yards downfield. In less than stellar weather and with a shaky OL, that strategy ain't gonna work. That's fine in nice weather or in a dome...but I'm really doubting it will work well in Green Bay come January. You can't tell me that Cobb can't juke a guy to get open for a 5-8 yard gain more than half the time...especially on a field where guys were slipping all over the place. Finley needs to be a much larger presence in the middle of the field on a day like this, especially when we were having some measure of success on the ground. He came up incredibly small. Nelson was invisible...not sure if the early penalties spooked him from playing his game or not. The Chiefs ran about every pass play possible you can think of within 0-10 yards of the LOS...the Packers it seemed didn't have one.

Pugger
12-18-2011, 07:51 PM
The defense had issues but if you think about it if any other week the only give up 6 freaking points in a half folks would be singing their praises all day long! Unfortunately our offense didn't show up until it was way too late.

HarveyWallbangers
12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Gotcha. Those runs. I had started to tune out and move the XMas tree into the house at that point.

I saw Walden lose contain on a few plays. The run would be to the right, he'd come down the line, and it was a counter back outside of his containment. It was frustrating to watch.

pbmax
12-18-2011, 08:06 PM
I saw Walden lose contain on a few plays. The run would be to the right, he'd come down the line, and it was a counter back outside of his containment. It was frustrating to watch.

Yes, but he has always done that, did it versus the Bears last year. It was the straight wide run left that was new to my eyes.