PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers Death Spiral of Declining Poor Performances

CaliforniaCheez
12-19-2011, 12:01 AM
[sarcasm: On]
[overreaction: On]

It's getting cold and so is Aaron Rodgers

Aaron Rodgers started the season well and at one time looked like a possible MVP candidate. But then the weather started cooling and so did Rodgers. The first warning sign was against the Buccaneers at Lambeau Field. Aaron Rodgers (at the time) had his 2nd worst QB rating in a game. The blind homers called it an anomaly. But his passer rating had dropped 33 points from his performance 2 weeks earlier.

The next outdoor game was at the Giants and Aaron Rodgers had, at the time, his worst game of the season. 52 degrees and a 9 mph wind; there was no denying his QB rating had dropped. Some falsely gave credit to the Giants but in reality Rodgers was continuing his downward spiral, his passer rating progressively getting worse and worse. Unfortunately it was to get much worse.

Then came the Raiders game and his being mentioned as an MVP candidate became doubtful. Outdoors at 42 degree Lambeau Field with a wind of 15 mph. His passer rating plummeted to below his rock bottom levels and down into double didgits. Everyone knew if he didn't shape up the Packers season was in jeopardy.
34 points worse in passer rating than just 4 weeks earlier.

Finally in Arrowhead Stadium with 10 mph wind making the 50 degree temperature a wind chill of 46 degrees. Arron Rodgers had nosedived to suckage numbers. He could not even complete 50% of his passes!! His QB rating for the game was 80.1. Barely above Tarvaris Jackson level (79.9).

No there is no question about Aaron Rodgers now sucking as an NFL QB and getting worse. Every game since 10/23/11 his QB rating has dropped further each game (except for the indoor game in Detroit where it rose nominally). His passer rating is dropping on average over 9 points a week.

Unless the Packers coaching staff can fix Rodgers and end this death spiral of declining poor performance, they will end up with a poor QB on the Blaine Gabbert level (65.6) by the time the playoffs start.

A real MVP would be able to turn his poor perfomance around. That train has left the station.

Go to the official stats and check the numbers for yourself at: http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronrodgers/2506363/gamelogs (http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronrodgers/2506363/gamelogs)

Will Mike McCarthy make the switch to Matt Flynn in order to salvage the Packers season?

It depends on whether he thinks that Rodgers problems are correctable or not and what actions he takes to get him to attempt to improve.

[overreaction: Off]
[sarcasm: Off]

Kiwon
12-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Trade him for Christian Ponder.

Pugger
12-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Brees is now the front-runner for MVP. Rodgers sucks and is a prima-donna.

amidoingitright?

Noodle
12-19-2011, 02:01 AM
I know this is a sarcastic thread, but the fact is that A-Rod has not played all that well the last two games. A number of the drops are really on him, as he seems to lack the consistent accuracy and pace of earlier in the season.

I'd also agree that his protection has been poor.

I don't know what it is, but he is not playing as well as he did earlier in the year.

Tarlam!
12-19-2011, 03:57 AM
After seeing how how other contenders played on the weekend, they are getting hot at the right time, while the Packers are cooling down. I hope desperately that the kick in the butt they got yesterday will kindle a fire, but as of now, call me doubting debbie. I can't see a repeat considering the overall conference performance this last weekend - with our without HFA.

I never wanted to be wrong about something in alllllllllll my life.

LEWCWA
12-19-2011, 05:47 AM
I know this thread is in jest, but the thing is it isn't that far from the truth. I said it after the NY game, and it continued into the OAk game and hopefully hit its bottom in this KC game. Rodgers looks antsy (which is somewhat understandable) in the pocket even when the protection is good. I thought the pass pro was decent yesterday, even with the injuries. Rodgers wasn't though. Much of the blame to me is where the ball was going, The seemed to be attacking deep and to the sidelines. The needed to attack the middle of that KC D. This was a poor game all the way around, but Mr. Rodgers needs to play with confidence in his players. This is a good wakeup call for this whole team. They just got schooled by a poor team. Now we see if these guys have the heart of a champion and can finish this thing off!

SkinBasket
12-19-2011, 05:52 AM
LOL. Love the "I know this isn't a real thread, but..." responses. Rodgers carried this team on his back for 19 victories. Sometimes doods get tired. Meanwhile other doods can't figure out how to catch footballs or play defense against one of the worst offenses in the league.

Iron Mike
12-19-2011, 06:02 AM
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2009/10/life-is-a-majestic-heap-of-camel-excrement.html

Deputy Nutz
12-19-2011, 07:48 AM
I have no idea how to respond.

Scott Campbell
12-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Superman needs to find his cape.

pbmax
12-19-2011, 09:34 AM
LOL. Love the "I know this isn't a real thread, but..." responses. Rodgers carried this team on his back for 19 victories. Sometimes doods get tired. Meanwhile other doods can't figure out how to catch footballs or play defense against one of the worst offenses in the league.

Take 1/3 O line sloppiness, 1/3 dropsies, 1/3 QB nervous, not set and off target

mix

Pretty good explanation.

PA Pack Fan
12-19-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm telling you, ever since he got knee'd in the head in the Tampa game, he aint the same. And to be fair to the recievers, they have been covering up his inaccuracy for 4-5 games now. I saw a few dropsies that were absolute shit balls.

Scott Campbell
12-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm telling you, ever since he got knee'd in the head in the Tampa game, he aint the same. And to be fair to the recievers, they have been covering up his inaccuracy for 4-5 games now. I saw a few dropsies that were absolute shit balls.

I see the same thing. Good thing we get a bye week.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 10:57 AM

Tampa was the first game I noticed more physical play against Green Bay's receivers. Other teams seem to be trying to do similar things to throw off their timing. The other major thing that has happened since Tampa is that Green Bay has had a lot of change in the line (well, more than the QB is comfy with) and they've played a pretty brutal stretch against teams that are good up front -- NYG, Det, Oakland, KC, even Minny, all are pretty tough up front on D.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I think this team looks a lot different on O with Jennings, Clifton (hopefully!), and Bulaga back in the mix. Those guys should all be ready for the playoffs.

gbgary
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
let him walk!

Brandon494
12-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I think this team looks a lot different on O with Jennings, Clifton (hopefully!), and Bulaga back in the mix. Those guys should all be ready for the playoffs.

Don't forget Starks also

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Don't forget Starks also

Yeah, him too.

King Friday
12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Someone needs to bust out the belt.

swede
12-19-2011, 12:04 PM
I can't see a repeat considering the overall conference performance this last weekend - with our without HFA.
Playing at yesterday's level, you are absolutely correct.

as of now, call me doubting debbie.

Really? I thought an Aussie would have a more distinctive regionalism at the ready, such as, "call me a skeptical skippy," or "dub me a dubious dingo."

SkinBasket
12-19-2011, 12:21 PM
I have no idea how to respond.

Oh, I’m so happy for you, Brett! I’m so happy for you and your wife, Deanna, who I know by name because I have been told she is your wife 50,000 times by the media ghouls who lavish at your milky bloodteat.

Milky bloodteat... This guy's got potential.

pbmax
12-19-2011, 01:32 PM

I thought it was the Raider's Aaron Curry hit that Bill Michaels blamed for the slower 2nd half.

mmmdk
12-19-2011, 01:55 PM
I just got me a STAR WARS in your pocket gizmo and I keep pushing the C3PO button where he utters: "We're doomed". Somehow, it gives me comfort these days! :lol:

pbmax
12-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Milky bloodteat... This guy's got potential.

That whole site is right up your alley. They aim to offend.

Rutnstrut
12-19-2011, 04:34 PM

That whole carried the team excuse never cut it with Favre, why in the hell should it with Rodgers? I'm not bashing Rodgers, but it seems he is regressing. I actually wouldn't mind if the Packers didn't get home field throughout. Rodgers is a much better QB in a dome or warm climates.

George Cumby
12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
I just got me a STAR WARS in your pocket gizmo and I keep pushing the C3PO button where he utters: "We're doomed". Somehow, it gives me comfort these days! :lol:

I gotta get me one of those.

Smidgeon
12-19-2011, 07:41 PM

This offense was a whole lot different when the refs weren't calling phantom offensive pass interference calls on Jordy... :\

Bossman641
12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
That whole carried the team excuse never cut it with Favre, why in the hell should it with Rodgers? I'm not bashing Rodgers, but it seems he is regressing. I actually wouldn't mind if the Packers didn't get home field throughout. Rodgers is a much better QB in a dome or warm climates.

Is this pacopete reincarnated?

mmmdk
12-19-2011, 07:50 PM
I gotta get me one of those.

I got one for my brothers too for X-Mas; we all grew up with STAR WARS. Get one, dude! :tup:

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 07:54 PM
This offense was a whole lot different when the refs weren't calling phantom offensive pass interference calls on Jordy... :\

First one was ticky-tack but kinda sorta there in a pretty weak way. Second one, there didn't seem to be anything even on the replay.

Worst thing was no makeup call. One of the Chiefs receivers (can't remember, Boldin?) had a more "obvious" PI.

The calls were only one of a litany of problems for the Pack tho.

SkinBasket
12-20-2011, 09:15 AM
That whole carried the team excuse never cut it with Favre, why in the hell should it with Rodgers?.

That's because he never won the way Rodgers did, while playing opposite this inept of a defense.

LEWCWA
12-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Take 1/3 O line sloppiness, 1/3 dropsies, 1/3 QB nervous, not set and off target

mix

Pretty good explanation.

true enough

pbmax
12-20-2011, 09:46 AM

It carried it with Favre for a lot of years, but eventually the minuses outweighed the pluses to that approach. If Rodgers start chucking the ball to the opposition or fumbling while sitting in the pocket too long "trying to make a play", then come back and we can talk.

LEWCWA
12-20-2011, 09:49 AM
He basically carried them sunday as well, he just wasn't good enough to do it alone! Rodgers pinpoint accuracy is what separates him from many others. Hitting rec. in the perfect spot to get additional yardage. He has been a tick off for a few weeks and it showed big time sunday. Without Rodgers playing lights out football this team is very beatable. The difference between Rodgers and Vick is the accuracy. Vick will miss open rec. to kill drives and ultimately lose games. We don't want Vick, We want Rodgers back!

Pugger
12-20-2011, 09:52 AM
It doesn't help when Rodgers' passes hit our receivers in the hands and they drop them. :neutral:

denverYooper
12-20-2011, 10:52 AM
It doesn't help when Rodgers' passes hit our receivers in the hands and they drop them. :neutral:

Certainly didn't help but there were often problems on both ends of the connection.

SkinBasket
12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Certainly didn't help but there were often problems on both ends of the connection.

"Problems" receivers on other teams overcome every week playing with lesser QBs. Either ol' Edgar isn't getting these guys ready or they've become complacent believing all they got to do is stick their hands in front of their face and the ball will appear as if by magic. Everyone's bemoaning Rodger's lack of accuracy and forgetting what lack of accuracy actually means typically. He's missing by inches, sometimes a foot. Misses for fans of other teams is often times feet or yards.

SkinBasket
12-20-2011, 11:54 AM
The difference between Rodgers and Vick is the accuracy.

Really? Accuracy? That's all that separates Vick and Rodgers?

gbgary
12-20-2011, 01:44 PM

that and his football iq, judgement, better arm, and unselfish attitude, just to name a few.

Pugger
12-20-2011, 05:57 PM

that and his football iq, judgement, better arm, and unselfish attitude, just to name a few.

I'd add regular IQ, not just football IQ.

Brandon494
12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Not sure about the better arm, Vick has a cannon.

Rutnstrut
12-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Is this pacopete reincarnated?

WTF is a pacopete? I still believe Rodgers is waaay more talented than Favre, I just hate to see people use the carry the team excuse with him. yet when Favre did it, and he did, people called bullshit. Truth is, both of them have done more "carrying" than they should have to.

George Cumby
12-22-2011, 09:43 PM
WTF is a pacopete? I still believe Rodgers is waaay more talented than Favre, I just hate to see people use the carry the team excuse with him. yet when Favre did it, and he did, people called bullshit. Truth is, both of them have done more "carrying" than they should have to.

If memory serves, Pacopete was a particularly vehement Ted-basher and Favre supporter. Again, relying on my somewhat spotty and faulty memory (I was merely lurking when he was about), Pete was unreasonable, vitriolic and not open to points of view different from his own. He may simply have been a troll, I just didn't pay that much attention to his posts, frankly.

That being said, I disagree with your opinion that Rodgers is more talented than Favre. I think Favre had more talent. I think Rodgers has done a better job MAXIMIZING his talent and is, therefore, a better QUARTERBACK. IMO.

Pugger
12-23-2011, 07:29 AM
If memory serves, Pacopete was a particularly vehement Ted-basher and Favre supporter. Again, relying on my somewhat spotty and faulty memory (I was merely lurking when he was about), Pete was unreasonable, vitriolic and not open to points of view different from his own. He may simply have been a troll, I just didn't pay that much attention to his posts, frankly.

That being said, I disagree with your opinion that Rodgers is more talented than Favre. I think Favre had more talent. I think Rodgers has done a better job MAXIMIZING his talent and is, therefore, a better QUARTERBACK. IMO.

Favre had more talent? What did Favre do that is better than Rodgers? Favre might have had a stronger arm but Rodgers arm is excellent, AR reads defenses great, throws while rolling out of the pocket better than anybody in football and can get yards with his legs better than Favre ever did.

denverYooper
12-23-2011, 11:52 AM
We should probably trade Rodgers for Orlovsky. That guy beat the 3rd ranked Defense last night with a clutch TD. Rodgers can't even beat the Chiefs, PFFFT!

denverYooper
12-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Rodgers's decline has coincided with an increasing degree of line shuffling since Thanksgiving. He has some trust issues right now, part of which is that the players in front of him are not as good, part of it is a lack of continuity up there. I honestly think he's just trying to make it through the rest of the season intact for the playoffs.

denverYooper
12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/12/21/re-focused-packers-chiefs-week-15/

Dropping the Ball
Part of what makes Aaron Rodgers 2011 so remarkable is the fact that no quarterback in the NFL has had more passes dropped than the 40 from the Green Bay receivers. The receiving corps chipped in with another five in this game, and another couple of passes that were fingertips away from being hauled in. The Packers get a lot of credit, rightfully, for the talent of their receivers, but they can’t just flash big plays. The Packer receivers need to eliminate the drops and make the simple plays that hit them in the hands. Jermichael Finley (-1.7) continued to struggle, with a pair of drops to lead the team. He was also overmatched as a run blocker, which thankfully he was only tasked with 13 times in the game.

Aaron Rodgers’ completion percentage was 48.6%, taking away the five drops, two throw aways and a spike, he was accurate on 68.8% of his passes.

Lucky At the Back

The Chiefs were in truth a little lucky to escape some big plays on the back end. The Packers were inches at times from connecting on some big plays here. The play of Travis Daniels (-3.1) and Javier Arenas (-3.2) in particular, deserved to yield bigger results for the Pack. The pair combined to give up ten receptions and 176 yards through the air. It could have been even more if not for penalties on the offense nullifying plays. Between drops from the Green Bay receivers and some off-timing, the Chiefs were fortunate at times to ride their luck and avoid some significant bullets.

George Cumby
12-23-2011, 08:25 PM
Favre had more talent? What did Favre do that is better than Rodgers? Favre might have had a stronger arm but Rodgers arm is excellent, AR reads defenses great, throws while rolling out of the pocket better than anybody in football and can get yards with his legs better than Favre ever did.

IMO, yes. Listen, I prefer Rodgers to Favre as a person, Team Leader and Quarterback. But I believe that Favre had more raw talent. Rodgers is a better quarterback.

LEWCWA
12-24-2011, 12:25 AM
You would think folks would learn not to put athletes on a pedistal, but here we are again, this time his name is Aaron! I am starting to understand how and why battered women seem to find just the right guy everytime.

LEWCWA
12-24-2011, 12:28 AM

Yeah pretty much

Tarlam!
12-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Rodgers was recently described as the "New Peyton Manning". Manning is like a head coach on the field and has all the play calling discretion possible. He studies like crazy. He takes his craft seriously. He works at it and makes the most of his natural ability. He did this from Day 1 until his surgery and, as he was seen on the sidelines last Thursday night, does so to this day.

In that way, I see Rodgers in a similar mold. I can't imagine Manning or Rodgers ever demanding their own private locker room or insisting on missing out on training camp time, because it's only fun playing on Sundays. I hope Rodgers retires a Packer and becomes the next Bart Starr. His statements so far are to that effect, which is encouraging.

LEWCWA
12-24-2011, 05:15 AM
Rodgers was recently described as the "New Peyton Manning". Manning is like a head coach on the field and has all the play calling discretion possible. He studies like crazy. He takes his craft seriously. He works at it and makes the most of his natural ability. He did this from Day 1 until his surgery and, as he was seen on the sidelines last Thursday night, does so to this day.

In that way, I see Rodgers in a similar mold. I can't imagine Manning or Rodgers ever demanding their own private locker room or insisting on missing out on training camp time, because it's only fun playing on Sundays. I hope Rodgers retires a Packer and becomes the next Bart Starr. His statements so far are to that effect, which is encouraging.

While much of this is true, Aaron has a long way to go before he is even close to Peyton. PM is the epitome of a professional QB IMO......with that said AR is off to a nice start.

SkinBasket
12-24-2011, 01:17 PM
While much of this is true, Aaron has a long way to go before he is even close to Peyton. PM is the epitome of a professional QB IMO......with that said AR is off to a nice start.

IMO, your opinions are pretty dumb, with all due respect. Where, exactly, does Rodgers need to improve to be "close" to Manning?

denverYooper
12-24-2011, 04:42 PM
IMO, your opinions are pretty dumb, with all due respect. Where, exactly, does Rodgers need to improve to be "close" to Manning?

He needs to get better at giving dirty looks to guys messing up their routes. Manning's got it all over him there.

Tarlam!
12-25-2011, 04:19 AM
While much of this is true

OK, I'll bite, which part is untrue?

LEWCWA
12-25-2011, 06:27 AM

At least I have an opinion, unlike your nice little once sentence put downs. Nice opinion "yours is dumb"

Anyhow, Rodgers needs to play at this level for a longer period of time for me to consider him in PM's league. Like I said though, he is off to one hell of a start.....PM sitting this season, he is showing how great he really is.

LEWCWA
12-25-2011, 06:34 AM
OK, I'll bite, which part is untrue?

Sorry bad choice of words, I guess. Its not like I am calling you a liar or anything. I just don't see Rodgers as that coach on the field and we have no idea what demands Rodgers will have in the future. I have learned my lesson, I didn't think BF would turn into a creepy old guy and thought he was the epitome of the team first guy and I think he was and then something changed. I will never pedastal another athlete again...except my daughters, of course. Maybe you will see them on ESPN, in a few years. She will be the one hitting the game winning homerun and flipping off the camera on her way around the bases!!!lol

LEWCWA
12-25-2011, 06:38 AM
I am very interested to see how AR plays tonight against the Bears. This teams response will tell me alot.

Tarlam!
12-25-2011, 01:30 PM
No worries, LEWCWA. I was just pullin' your chain. M3 is placing more and more decision making in rodgers hands - no huddle offense anyone? That is what I meant by "coach on the field", so, I am guilty of poor articulation in that regard.

But Rodgers is being mentioned in the same sentences as Manning and Brady these days. Brees, not so much, as far as I am aware. He is sort of in a different class of excellence. Of course, to be a first ballot HOFer, like those other two, Rodgers has a lot more work ahead of him. Our JH started a thread about that very topic only 2 weeks ago.

As you say, the Bears will test him tonight, especially with the patchwork OL.

denverYooper
12-25-2011, 03:59 PM
No worries, LEWCWA. I was just pullin' your chain. M3 is placing more and more decision making in rodgers hands - no huddle offense anyone? That is what I meant by "coach on the field", so, I am guilty of poor articulation in that regard.

But Rodgers is being mentioned in the same sentences as Manning and Brady these days. Brees, not so much, as far as I am aware. He is sort of in a different class of excellence. Of course, to be a first ballot HOFer, like those other two, Rodgers has a lot more work ahead of him. Our JH started a thread about that very topic only 2 weeks ago.

As you say, the Bears will test him tonight, especially with the patchwork OL.

I hear him mentioned with Brees quite often. With Payton out this year, I've heard a lot of "Brady, Brees, Rodgers" and "everyone else".

Tarlam!
12-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I hear him mentioned with Brees quite often. With Payton out this year, I've heard a lot of "Brady, Brees, Rodgers" and "everyone else".

I hope that didn't come off as if I were somehow underrating Brees. The talking heads and I are full of praise for the guy. He's a top QB and playing lights out. Still, I haven't heard what you've heard dY. Meaning, I haven't heard Brees compared to Manning and Brady, but I've heard that with Rodgers. I have heard Rodgers and Brees mentioned in the same sentence, because they are both having MVP seasons and, along with Brady, are threatening Marino's record.

He is a winner, but a different way. Plus, that Sproles guy gives him a shit load of options.

Kiwon
12-26-2011, 12:51 AM
(This is a great thread....)

Aaron's done for the year. The stiff! Did you see him throw the ball too hard for Driver and Finley to catch it with two hands? Eight incompletes! Outrageous! It's time to sit his MVP butt down!

Green Bay's only hope next week to beat Dee-troit is Matt Flynn.

SkinBasket
12-26-2011, 07:50 AM
At least I have an opinion, unlike your nice little once sentence put downs. Nice opinion "yours is dumb"

I thought it was concise.

Anyhow, Rodgers needs to play at this level for a longer period of time for me to consider him in PM's league. Like I said though, he is off to one hell of a start.....PM sitting this season, he is showing how great he really is.

I'll take the QB who's playing record setting football over the guy who had a nice career any day. This whole argument that somehow the last couple seasons don't illustrate Rodger's ability is pretty ignorant, IMHO.

Scott Campbell
12-26-2011, 09:12 AM
You would think folks would learn not to put athletes on a pedistal, but here we are again, this time his name is Aaron! I am starting to understand how and why battered women seem to find just the right guy everytime.

I have learned my lesson, I didn't think BF would turn into a creepy old guy and thought he was the epitome of the team first guy and I think he was and then something changed. I will never pedastal another athlete again...

That's what you learned from Brett Favre???????

Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just need to be a little more selective?

http://stevedennie.com/wp-content/uploads/books/pat%2Btillman.jpg

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2007/04/11/ce5HsOlI.jpg

http://www.theslot.com/ali/sonny.gif

http://www.profootballhof.com/assets/hof/Starr_Bart_Induction_180-220.jpg

RashanGary
12-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Good point SC. Favre turning out to be a big d-bag has nothing to do with Rodgers or any other athlete.

mraynrand
12-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Did it ever occur to you that maybe you just need to be a little more selective?

good point
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/Aaron_Kampman_Fort_Riley_visit_Feb_20,_2008.JPG/220px-Aaron_Kampman_Fort_Riley_visit_Feb_20,_2008.JPG

Tarlam!
12-26-2011, 10:45 PM
Brees just broke Marino's yards per season record. Very emotional scenes.

LEWCWA
12-27-2011, 06:49 AM
BF seemed the epitome of team player, local hero, charitable with his time and money, all american down to earth guy warts and all. He turned out to be a self centered, sex addict. So I will appreciate a players ability to play a game and assume correctly that I really have no idea how they are personally, cause I don't know any of them.....Rodgers seems to be the perfect guy, but they have publiscists teaching them how to come off that way. Nothing will suprise me about any athlete again. BTW---Ali was a complete douchebag, so he doesn't even fit in your litney of pics.

LEWCWA
12-27-2011, 06:53 AM
I thought it was concise.

I'll take the QB who's playing record setting football over the guy who had a nice career any day. This whole argument that somehow the last couple seasons don't illustrate Rodger's ability is pretty ignorant, IMHO.

Peyton Manning just had a nice career? What the hell does that even mean? doesn't he have like 4 mvp's to his credit? Look at his team without him, apparantly he is winning with a pretty bare cupboard....Like I said Aaron is off to a great start and has a good chance to be on par with Peyton, but he isn't there yet.....

LEWCWA
12-27-2011, 06:57 AM
good point
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/Aaron_Kampman_Fort_Riley_visit_Feb_20,_2008.JPG/220px-Aaron_Kampman_Fort_Riley_visit_Feb_20,_2008.JPG

This is awsome but proves nothing, plenty of athletes are charitable with their time and money, doesn't mean they are great guys who need to be placed on a pedastal. BF is huge with his charity, so what.

How do you know he didn't head straight to a crack house or whore house as soon as this photo op was done. Thats right you don't!

LEWCWA
12-27-2011, 07:01 AM
back to topic at hand--

I thought Aaron played a very good game sunday. He looked a little jittery for those 3 drives after the first one, but settled down and began to trust his protection. When he trusts his pass pro he plays at such a high level. They played well and so did he. Sucks that Brees might be stealing his MVP.

Pugger
12-27-2011, 08:14 AM
back to topic at hand--

I thought Aaron played a very good game sunday. He looked a little jittery for those 3 drives after the first one, but settled down and began to trust his protection. When he trusts his pass pro he plays at such a high level. They played well and so did he. Sucks that Brees might be stealing his MVP. :cry:

mraynrand
12-27-2011, 09:49 AM
This is awsome but proves nothing, plenty of athletes are charitable with their time and money, doesn't mean they are great guys who need to be placed on a pedastal. BF is huge with his charity, so what.

How do you know he didn't head straight to a crack house or whore house as soon as this photo op was done. Thats right you don't!

Actually, I was hanging with him. We just smoked some reefers and boiled a goat.

pbmax
12-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Here is an idea: the notion of a hero as someone who is widely covered in the media is fraught with contradiction, misuse and misunderstanding. Having sports heroes, astronauts or politicians as heroes is simply asking to be disappointed, though that in and of itself is not a bad lesson to learn.

Instead, look for a hero closer to home, someone who you actually know and admire. Not simply someone who you recognize, but actually know. They are still human and full of frailties, but they are more likely the person you expect them to be. And you don't ask them for their autograph.

Rodgers is no more likely to be a great person than Favre. No one in the admiring public knows him well enough to say.

And the low interception total and very high YPA seals the deal for Rodgers.

Fritz
12-27-2011, 10:24 AM
BF seemed the epitome of team player, local hero, charitable with his time and money, all american down to earth guy warts and all. He turned out to be a self centered, sex addict. So I will appreciate a players ability to play a game and assume correctly that I really have no idea how they are personally, cause I don't know any of them.....Rodgers seems to be the perfect guy, but they have publiscists teaching them how to come off that way. Nothing will suprise me about any athlete again. BTW---Ali was a complete douchebag, so he doesn't even fit in your litney of pics.

Agree completely. Just finished a bio of Ali/Frazier. Ali was a complete narcissist, and a complete d-bag to his wives. He was also not the politically aware - he simply got used by the Nation of Islam.

Brandon494
12-27-2011, 10:26 AM

Aaron Rodgers isnt a party boy, nor did he get in a car crash in college, nor was he ever addicted to pills. Aaron Rodgers is the type of guy you want your daughter to marry and Favre is the type you want to get shit faced with. BTW why do you think Ali was a douche? Because he didnt go to war or because or his trash talking?

pbmax
12-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Aaron Rodgers isnt a party boy, nor did he get in a car crash in college, nor was he ever addicted to pills. Aaron Rodgers is the type of guy you want your daughter to marry and Favre is the type you want to get shit faced with. BTW why do you think Ali was a douche? Because he didnt go to war or because or his trash talking?

The only reason you can make this case is because none of this type of information about Rodgers is in the public record, like it was for Favre. But you cannot make the leap that it is unequivocally true that Rodgers is the better man. Probably is, likely is; but we simply don't know.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Well, we don't know if Rodgers is a good guy. We have no reason to believe he isn't--while there's evidence that Favre is a bit of a self-centered douche bag. Favre seems like a good guy to hang out with, but I think fame went to his head. Maybe the same thing will happen to Rodgers, but it seems unlikely. He seems a bit cocky, but I think his faith keeps him grounded enough for him not to become a douche bag.

George Cumby
12-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Well, we don't know if Rodgers is a good guy. We have no reason to believe he isn't--while there's evidence that Favre is a bit of a self-centered douche bag. Favre seems like a good guy to hang out with, but I think fame went to his head. Maybe the same thing will happen to Rodgers, but it seems unlikely. He seems a bit cocky, but I think his faith keeps him grounded enough for him not to become a douche bag.

One hopes.

Fame, fortune and media attention are interesting and dangerous things.

Cumby's Pet Theory #63: Fame and attention, always being asked one's opinion, always being fawned upon, causes a release of dopamine in the brain rewarding the pleasure center of the brain. Over time, this becomes addictive, creating a feed-back cycle where the subject (the celebrity in question) seeks out the attention like an addict seeking their next hook-up. Over-time, this can actually change the subject's personality as the neuro-chemistry of their brain undergoes long-term changes. e.g.: Brett Favre change from partying good old boy to his diva-ish and endless flirtation with the media.

Or I could be full of shit.

RashanGary
12-27-2011, 12:40 PM
One hopes.

Fame, fortune and media attention are interesting and dangerous things.

Cumby's Pet Theory #63: Fame and attention, always being asked one's opinion, always being fawned upon, causes a release of dopamine in the brain rewarding the pleasure center of the brain. Over time, this becomes addictive, creating a feed-back cycle where the subject (the celebrity in question) seeks out the attention like an addict seeking their next hook-up. Over-time, this can actually change the subject's personality as the neuro-chemistry of their brain undergoes long-term changes. e.g.: Brett Favre change from partying good old boy to his diva-ish and endless flirtation with the media.

Or I could be full of shit.

Could be right on. Favre seems like a much more sensitive guy than Rodgers, and impulsive. Those two traits make a person more prone to mistakes and more prone to not being able to admit them. AR has a very steady personality. Like people have said above. He's probably not as much fun to party with, but he seems like a really secure person (doesn't need to be propped up as much) and has a calm demeanor (less likely to just go with things on a whim and make a mistake.)

People are people. Judgement is for god. AR is a guy you trust more, but he's still a guy. Favre is a guy who's prone to a lot more error, but he's just a guy too. Everyone has a different path.

I would say it's wise to avoid a guy like Favre. I would also say it's wise to have some trust in a guy like AR. I don't know for sure, but those are things I would say. I wouldn't say AR is a better guy. I'd just say he's had a different path. Favre's sex and drug addictions don't make him bad. They make him flawed and untrustable, even to himself.

People like Favre though, he seems very emotional and it can lead him one way or the other. You never know, he could turn it around. I think the narcissism is tough to overcome though. Unlike other forms of misery, that mind trick of being more special than the next person can be just addicting enough to never want to change and in turn, never enjoy life or have real relationships built on trust. Right now, I don't think there is a person in the world who has had to count on Favre that trusts him. He's cheated and backstabbed every friend on the way to where he is now.

Pugger
12-27-2011, 12:55 PM

I've heard this from other quarters. What makes you say this? I can't think of any instance where I'd say he was cocky except maybe when he told fans to get on board during the Favre divorce (and I didn't blame him one bit - I'm surprised that's all he said!).

George Cumby
12-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Could be right on. Favre seems like a much more sensitive guy than Rodgers, and impulsive. Those two traits make a person more prone to mistakes and more prone to not being able to admit them. AR has a very steady personality. Like people have said above. He's probably not as much fun to party with, but he seems like a really secure person (doesn't need to be propped up as much) and has a calm demeanor (less likely to just go with things on a whim and make a mistake.)

People are people. Judgement is for god. AR is a guy you trust more, but he's still a guy. Favre is a guy who's prone to a lot more error, but he's just a guy too. Everyone has a different path.

I would say it's wise to avoid a guy like Favre. I would also say it's wise to have some trust in a guy like AR. I don't know for sure, but those are things I would say. I wouldn't say AR is a better guy. I'd just say he's had a different path. Favre's sex and drug addictions don't make him bad. They make him flawed and untrustable, even to himself.

People like Favre though, he seems very emotional and it can lead him one way or the other. You never know, he could turn it around. I think the narcissism is tough to overcome though. Unlike other forms of misery, that mind trick of being more special than the next person can be just addicting enough to never want to change and in turn, never enjoy life or have real relationships built on trust. Right now, I don't think there is a person in the world who has had to count on Favre that trusts him. He's cheated and backstabbed every friend on the way to where he is now.

Great post.

I said it in another thread and I'll say it again, I think Rodgers learned a lot from Favre. Both the good and the bad, both on-field and off-field stuff. You can see some of Favre's improvisational genius in Rodger's play but none of the bone-headed plays (with the exception of the last play in the Arizona Divisional game a couple of years back). You see it in how Rodgers handles the media, my impression is that he rarely gives them anything to play with (I admit ignorance re: local Wisco programming) compared to Favre who couldn't/wouldn't stop talking to the media.

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I've heard this from other quarters. What makes you say this? I can't think of any instance where I'd say he was cocky except maybe when he told fans to get on board during the Favre divorce (and I didn't blame him one bit - I'm surprised that's all he said!).

I'd say he came out cocky, but his faith and what he's been through has grounded him quite a bit. Now, I'd say he's confident, but a couple more MVP seasons could bring the cockiness back. I don't think this is all a ruse (playing to the cameras), but it could be. I don't know him well enough to know one way or the other. That's just my take from afar.

MJZiggy
12-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Ask Michele. She hung out with him once or twice.

Freak Out
12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Now I don't listen to many of his interviews but does he talk about his religious beliefs with the press very often? I don't ever remember it. I think he's an atheist. :)

Joemailman
12-27-2011, 05:56 PM
http://m.askmen.com/sports/fanatic_300/396_sport-and-religion.html

Aaron Rodgers -- a QB who can throw a tight spiral -- understands this. Rodgers is also deeply devout. But how often has the potential MVP's religious beliefs made headlines? Rodgers, a millionaire athlete who's been linked to women like Marisa Miller, now dates a local girl that he met through his religious circles. He does good things both on and off the field. He is a leader and a role-model who lets his actions and his way of life speak for him.

"I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, "Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words." So, basically, I'm not an over-the-top or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith."

Tarlam!
12-27-2011, 06:33 PM
I said it in another thread and I'll say it again, I think Rodgers learned a lot from Favre. Both the good and the bad, both on-field and off-field stuff.

Agreed, but AR has made a conscious decision to hold himself to the standards set by Bart Starr, probably as a result of what he learned by watching Bert. It's too bad for Bert, really. He'd be worshipped alongside Starr if he'd have taken the PR gig offered by the organization. It is also a pity for many Packers fans. I hope AR is one day mentioned in the same sentence as Starr. I like having heros, even if I don't know them personally.

I'd say he came out cocky

He addressed this in an interview I saw or read; to paraphrase, he claimed he was "coached" by his handlers to put on a cocky show for the teams prior to the draft. They advised him to act that way. He said he never felt comfortable doing it, because just wasn't his true idendity and he regretted the initial image it portrayed. He said it was a completely distorted image that then found its way to the press/fans.

Although, IIRC, he didn't say it, I think he puts a lot of the blame for his free fall on draft day on his advisers. I have to wonder if he changed his agents.

Tarlam!
12-27-2011, 06:35 PM
"I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, "Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words." So, basically, I'm not an over-the-top or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith."
[/I]

Thanks for digging this up, Joe. Someone should foward this quote to Denver, Colorado.

mraynrand
12-27-2011, 07:58 PM
St. Francis of Assisi: "Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words."

good stuff

pbmax
12-27-2011, 11:24 PM
He is cocky and very self assured. Exactly what you would expect of a world class athlete at the top of his profession making millions of dollars. He is also full enough of his own success to lecture Wilde in the interview last week about the reporter's attitude vis a vis questions about the poor play versus Kansas City. Its a subject Rodgers clearly wishes to end but Wilde isn't finished trying to unearth. To Rodgers, the athlete and teammate, this kind of focus on negativity is counter productive. For a reporter or anyone doing an investigation, its second nature to take it farther than the subject might willingly go.

You can go hear almost everything you need to hear here: http://espnmilwaukee.com/page.php?page_id=360

The entire season of shows is there, once a week for an hour. And all in all, its the most revealing set of interviews done on a regular basis you will see about the Packers. Short of McCarthy on Monday and maybe McGinn, there is no better place to find out what happened in the previous game, on offense, at least.

Told by a agent/advisor to be cocky and self-assured in pre-draft interviews, it would be easy to imagine his impact would be off putting to some. He is is no wallflower naturally, but he does seem to have self control. And at his age, flush with success after what he perceives as obstacle after obstacle, doubter after doubter in his way, it's about all you could expect.

Pugger
12-28-2011, 09:43 AM
I suppose he is cocky but is this the same as arrogant? Maybe we are confusing the two...

SkinBasket
12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
All this talk of cockiness is making me hungry.

Bossman641
12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Rodgers isn't cocky, he's confident. Big difference.

Tarlam!
12-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Rodgers isn't cocky, he's confident. Big difference.

And he is certainly not arrogant, judging from the public appearances I've seen.

Kiwon
12-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Aaron Rodgers -- "I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, "Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words." So, basically, I'm not an over-the-top or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith."

Thanks for digging this up, Joe. Someone should foward this quote to Denver, Colorado.

Hmm.......Would you say the same thing if Reggie White were alive and playing well for the Packers?

MJZiggy
12-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Aaron Rodgers -- "I feel like my stance and my desire has always been to follow a quote from St. Francis of Assisi, who said, "Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words." So, basically, I'm not an over-the-top or an in-your-face kind of guy with my faith."

Hmm.......Would you say the same thing if Reggie White were alive and playing well for the Packers?

I think we all did at the time...

Joemailman
12-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Reggie did turn people off with some of what he said and did. I remember reading that Leroy Butler played an important role with some of the players who couldn't relate to Reggie.

Kiwon
12-28-2011, 07:48 PM
I think we all did at the time...

I think you'll have to speak for yourself. I didn't, for one, and neither did most evangelical believing fans or players who take their faith seriously. Reggie was not articulate, but he was sincere. And he was generally right, including on the fallacy of comparing Blacks to gays.

The word "Gospel" means "Good News" and it's meant to be shared. And there are pro athletes like Tebow and Reggie White that understand God has blessed them with a platform to encourage others and inspire hope as they obey Jesus' commands of Matthew 28:18-20 and Luke 24:45-47, for example.

Tarlam!
12-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Yes. IIRC, Reggie was a Minister. Tebow is the son of a Minister.

Tarlam!
12-28-2011, 08:49 PM
And there are pro athletes like Tebow and Reggie White that understand God has blessed them with a platform to encourage others

Interesting. So, if, say, Aaron Rodgers was a devil worshipper, believing he has been blessed by Lucifer and he used his stardom as a platform to inspire black magic, you'd be OK with that?

Kiwon
12-29-2011, 03:24 AM
Interesting. So, if, say, Aaron Rodgers was a devil worshipper, believing he has been blessed by Lucifer and he used his stardom as a platform to inspire black magic, you'd be OK with that?

Free Speech is a core value of American society. Besides, he'd be a hit with some folks down in New Orleans and Miami.

That's a good point, however. How come the devil worshippers in the news are child molesters, child killers, serial killers, necrophilists, and the sort? Where is the star athlete publicly worshipping Satan before the cameras? Why isn't there a whole group of athletes that worship Satan gathering on the field and praying after games like the Christian athletes do?

Just because they are both belief systems, it's naive to try to morally equate Satanism to Christianity.

Tarlam!
12-29-2011, 04:31 AM
Just because they are both belief systems, it's naive to try to morally equate Satanism to Christianity.

I didn't.

But your reply avoided answering my question completely. What you wrote is an attack on Satanism. Whether or not you firmly stand behind the notion of freedom of speech is also missing; only, that it is a core value etc. Whether or not you would admire Rodgers if he were an open and vocal Satanist remains a riddle.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you.

I am, however, suggesting that Christians live with double standards. I believe you to be such a person, Kiwon. Frankly, I believe, if Rodgers were a vocal Satanist, you would drop any ties to the Team.

Why is all of this important? It isn't. But more people have been put to death for religious reasons during the millenia than any other "purpose". And Christians, Kiwon, have been amongst history's biggest butchers. But you're well read. You already knew that.

Zool
12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
That's a good point, however. How come the devil worshippers in the news are child molesters.

I guess I thought Sandusky was a man of faith?

pbmax
12-29-2011, 10:37 AM

Reggie was definitely more in the Tebow tradition, or should that be the other way around? :lol:

Of course, Reggie was never that popular in Florida.

Kiwon
12-30-2011, 11:59 AM
And Christians, Kiwon, have been amongst history's biggest butchers. But you're well read. You already knew that.

Well if Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, the Hutus of Rwanda, and Kim, Jong-Il were Christians then I might be inclined to agree with you.

Tarlam!
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Well if Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, the Hutus of Rwanda, and Kim, Jong-Il were Christians then I might be inclined to agree with you.

I see. You still refuse to answer a question. You give me names of despots of the last century and I am talking about the last 2012 years. Oh and, cancel any Hitler commentary: he stigmatized Jews to gain power in the first place. Any casualties of the European Campaigne can be directly attributed the roots off of good, suppressed, German Christians starting a war initiated by an anti-semite.

Tell me this? How many religeous beliefs have been wiped out by armies of Satanists imposing their beliefs on others? How many towns sacked? Now, how much blood has been spilt in worship of Christ? Or the Holy Trinity? Or in the, name Him how you will, "One true God"?

Like I said. Double standards. Oh, and I am not a Satanist, but I have nothing against anyone who is.

gbgary
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM

impossible...he'd be 50!!

oh...and btw...f bf.

mraynrand
12-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Christians have been among the most brutal killers in history. So have Muslims. Mostly because there are a lot of them, and man is sinful. But I'd have to say that per capita, atheists have been far more effective killers than all the rest combined. There just aren't anywhere near as many atheists, but those who have taken control of governments have meted out some staggering totals in numbers of innocents slaughtered.

mraynrand
12-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I guess I thought Sandusky was a man of faith?

In what? Regardless, he is demonstrably sinful.

Tarlam!
12-30-2011, 01:22 PM
per capita, atheists have been far more effective killers than all the rest combined. There just aren't anywhere near as many atheists, but those who have taken control of governments have meted out some staggering totals in numbers of innocents slaughtered.

The despots of the 20th century were more efficient. They had better tools to do the job. But in terms of percent of population, the believers have it hands down. In the 30 years war. only 8 million lives were lost, but the armies had a joint strength of less than a million troops combined at any one time.

mraynrand
12-30-2011, 02:15 PM
The despots of the 20th century were more efficient. They had better tools to do the job. But in terms of percent of population, the believers have it hands down. In the 30 years war. only 8 million lives were lost, but the armies had a joint strength of less than a million troops combined at any one time.

you missed the point

Tarlam!
12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
you missed the point

Fair enough.

Pugger
12-30-2011, 02:58 PM
How in the hell did a silly sarcastic thread about Rodgers come to the last few posts?? :shock:

Tarlam!
12-30-2011, 02:59 PM
How in the hell did a silly sarcastic thread about Rodgers come to the last few posts?? :shock:

Tim Tebow

PA Pack Fan
12-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Death Spiral

PA Pack Fan
12-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Spiral of death

hoosier
12-30-2011, 03:53 PM

Tim Tebow

I am glad that we finally managed to pin down the connection between Tim Tebow and mass murder. Corruptio optio pessima. Maybe now the hype will finally start to wear off.