PDA

View Full Version : An optimist's take

George Cumby
12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
At the risk of sounding like a Homer, unlike many of the nattering nabobs here:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/135823528.html?page=1

I am optimistic about this team's chances and here's why, in no particular order:

The Chiefs are a talented team, especially on the front four, which we know, a la NYG, can be problematic for the Pack.

The Chiefs were 10-6 last year, they aren't chumps.

The Chiefs were playing "Up" and emotionally for several reasons, new coach, new qb, home field, playing the defending and undefeated champs, etc.

The D allowed 19 points. 19. Prior to this game, the O had been scoring 36 points per game. Had the O been anywhere close to it's normal self, it's not even close.

364 days without a loss is no fucking joke. Second longest winning streak in NFL history? That's not an accident. That type of consistency is hard to come by and is a function of straight up mental toughness.

It's ok to lose, once in while. The other team gets payed too. And the Chiefs earned their damn money yesterday. Good for them.

Clearly,the Packers were not focused. Rodgers was quoted as saying that the team was thinking how nice it would be to be talked about as 16-0. This implies a lack of concentration and focus on the present. The team (at least the O) got distracted and moved away from their "one game at a time" mantra. I expect this loss to re-focus the team.

Injuries. Bulaga looked like he was chomping at the bit to get back in the game after Sherrod went out. He'll be ok. Starks, Jennings, Pickett, Bishop will be back soon, rested and recovered. Clifton may be back just in time to give ARod the comfort he needs on the blind-side. I can't help but think that some of these guys could have played but MM was holding them back.

Game-plan: You know that MM and Capers have been holding stuff back for when the games count.

This doesn't mean I have rose-colored glasses on. There are reasons for concern: lack of pass-rush, spotty pass pro, dropped passes, ARod's declining performance, but providing the team focuses, I am much more optimistic than not.

mmmdk
12-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Kinda like the teams Packers will meet in the playoffs...only better!

Upnorth
12-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Wow, you sound like a Homer.

I just happen to agree. My only worries are on the oline.

sharpe1027
12-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Better that this happened now than in the playoffs. It was mostly bad pad level. They'll get that fixed.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Kinda like the teams Packers will meet in the playoffs...only better!

Except:
KC has a better secondary than many they'll see in the playoffs.
It took a lot of injuries for the supposed "blueprint" to actually work.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Crennel was crying at the end of the game. He was at least getting misty. That made me feel like the man poured a lot of heart into this one for many reasons.

Ballboy
12-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Say what you want, this loss should never have happened.

The defense is what it is, and its maybe not good enough to win it all this year. Capers isnt holding anything back, you can see during the game he is trying every trick in the book to get a free rusher to the QB....this is most evident that on the touchdown drive by KC that MIII is in coverage on a third and long.

This team made a mistake on the DL....I'm not saying Jenkins shouldve been resigned, but rather the blind faith TT, MM, you and even me a little, had in reguards to the likes of Wynn, Wilson and Neal. Our DB's really dont seem to be playing much worse in coverage(not counting blown coverages) but rather the time the QB has to find a receiver. Walden knows he isnt getting to the QB, which is why at least four(4) times yesterday he was crashing hard inside only to get burned on a reverse(did anyone notice that Zombo replace him on the last series only to give up the edge on both outside running plays to seal the game?).

If the 49ers get beat tonight, I am totally fine with Rodgers and Co sitting the last few games or only playing a few series......let Bulaga and Cliffy along with Sitton to totally heal.

mmmdk
12-19-2011, 02:29 PM

The defense is what it is, and its maybe not good enough to win it all this year. Capers isnt holding anything back, you can see during the game he is trying every trick in the book to get a free rusher to the QB....this is most evident that on the touchdown drive by KC that MIII is in coverage on a third and long.

This team made a mistake on the DL....I'm not saying Jenkins shouldve been resigned, but rather the blind faith TT, MM, you and even me a little, had in reguards to the likes of Wynn, Wilson and Neal. Our DB's really dont seem to be playing much worse in coverage(not counting blown coverages) but rather the time the QB has to find a receiver. Walden knows he isnt getting to the QB, which is why at least four(4) times yesterday he was crashing hard inside only to get burned on a reverse(did anyone notice that Zombo replace him on the last series only to give up the edge on both outside running plays to seal the game?).

If the 49ers get beat tonight, I am totally fine with Rodgers and Co sitting the last few games or only playing a few series......let Bulaga and Cliffy along with Sitton to totally heal.

Can't sit versus Bears; gotta win that one. Then sit players versus kittens & then we'll beat'em in playoffs [if need be].

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Not sure what is tricky about CM3 in coverage. He drops fairly often, and has been one of the better coverage LBers in the league this year. But your point about the DL is looking pretty sound. Outside of Raji, they are having a hard time doing much up front. Wynn and Wilson haven't developed and Neal has been underwhelming to this point.

Pickett was out yesterday too, though, which might have hurt them up front some.

As for Cliffy, I feel like he needs a game or 2 to get his game legs so in my extremely limited knowledge of managing players, I'd play him to get a little endurance up.

HarveyWallbangers
12-19-2011, 02:36 PM
We are still the favorite in the nFC. New Orleans is good, but they are much better at home than on the road. We need two wins to get to the Super Bowl, and we'll play those games at Lambeau. I like our chances. I'm not overly worried about the rest of the teams. Maybe Detroit because they know us so well, and they have given us some tough games the last couple of years. Here's hoping San Fran gets the #2 seed, and New Orleans and Detroit play each other in the first round. That would take care of one of the two teams I'm scared of.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 02:40 PM
One positive thing -- they didn't get beat on the deep post that every other team has seemed to have success with. There was actually a safety to at least make the catch difficult!

Although Burnett picking it off would have been nice... small steps...

Joemailman
12-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Everyone is fretting about the Packers defense, but the Saints are no defensive juggernaut either. They're a little better than the Packers in YPG, and a little worse in PPG. If the Packers can get their OL somewhat intact, I think they're still the favorite in the NFC.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Crennel was crying at the end of the game. He was at least getting misty. That made me feel like the man poured a lot of heart into this one for many reasons.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/r_crennel_111219_CP.jpg

Pugger
12-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Not sure what is tricky about CM3 in coverage. He drops fairly often, and has been one of the better coverage LBers in the league this year. But your point about the DL is looking pretty sound. Outside of Raji, they are having a hard time doing much up front. Wynn and Wilson haven't developed and Neal has been underwhelming to this point.

Pickett was out yesterday too, though, which might have hurt them up front some.

As for Cliffy, I feel like he needs a game or 2 to get his game legs so in my extremely limited knowledge of managing players, I'd play him to get a little endurance up.

CM3 had a nice open field tackle yesterday in the red zone that saved a TD and forced KC to kick a FG.

denverYooper
12-19-2011, 03:34 PM
CM3 had a nice open field tackle yesterday in the red zone that saved a TD and forced KC to kick a FG.

The biggest problem with CM3 is that there aren't two of him on the team.

Brandon494
12-19-2011, 07:03 PM
We had an off game with key players injured....its the NFL, shit happens.

George Cumby
12-19-2011, 07:10 PM

'Zackly.

Yes we "should" have won the game; but I "should" be getting a pony for Christmas and that ain't happening.

MadtownPacker
12-19-2011, 07:12 PM
There it is pimp!!

I hope the 49ers win tonight so the Pack has to beat dabears.

MadtownPacker
12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
I "should" be getting a pony for Christmas and that ain't happening.
Dont give up hope!

http://blogs.gmanews.tv/photoblogs/albums/userpics/10001/ZZZ_072407_2.jpg

George Cumby
12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Dont give up hope!

THAT, my taxonomically challenged friend, would be a "donkey".

MadtownPacker
12-19-2011, 07:19 PM
I know, way better than a pony. Plus he drinks!

MJZiggy
12-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Damn that was good.

ThunderDan
12-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Dont give up hope!

How does a Mexican not know a pony from a burro? :oops:

George Cumby
12-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I'll take the donkey, providing I get a life-time supply of whatever it is he's drinking.

Iron Mike
12-19-2011, 10:54 PM
I know, way better than a pony. Plus he drinks!

Something tells me that Mad knows the difference between a donkey and a pony.....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-b0GRCAcaXZc/TfE9SRWHi1I/AAAAAAAAAKI/MNVZ0Fp8LgY/s1600/donkey-show_design.png

Pugger
12-20-2011, 01:41 AM
The biggest problem with CM3 is that there aren't two of him on the team.

It hasn't helped not having Bishop out there either.

sharpe1027
12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Something tells me that Mad knows the difference between a donkey and a pony.....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-b0GRCAcaXZc/TfE9SRWHi1I/AAAAAAAAAKI/MNVZ0Fp8LgY/s1600/donkey-show_design.png

Yum, buttered popcorn.

mission
12-20-2011, 04:28 PM
It hasn't helped not having Bishop out there either.

Maybe, but I think the bigger problem is AJ Hawk. The dude doesn't do anything.

And before anyone tries to say "his job in this 3-4 is to take on blockers" -- that's a bunch of bullshit. Often he has to take on the first blocker but there are 3-4's ran all over the league with ILBs making plays and shedding blocks. Hell, Patrick Willis is out last night and his backup played like Ray Lewis. Come on.

I've given AJ a pass for years now... bought into the supporting arguments, glossed over it. No more. He's not the future (or the present).

Brandon494
12-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Maybe, but I think the bigger problem is AJ Hawk. The dude doesn't do anything.

And before anyone tries to say "his job in this 3-4 is to take on blockers" -- that's a bunch of bullshit. Often he has to take on the first blocker but there are 3-4's ran all over the league with ILBs making plays and shedding blocks. Hell, Patrick Willis is out last night and his backup played like Ray Lewis. Come on.

I've given AJ a pass for years now... bought into the supporting arguments, glossed over it. No more. He's not the future (or the present).

I've been on this train for years now.

George Cumby
12-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I've been on this train for years now.

Up until this year I was on board with the guy. But I am now with you'all. He just gets washed out WAY too often.

mission
12-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Sorry, I forgot I was supposed to be optimistic.

I usually am and liked your post. You're a good guy to have a around, Georgio.

George Cumby
12-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks, Mish. I appreciate it.

pittstang5
12-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Up until this year I was on board with the guy. But I am now with you'all. He just gets washed out WAY too often.

I too was a big fan of Hawk, now, I don't know what to think. It's not like the guy doesn't give 110% every play, he just isn't producing much.

You have to think when Francios played...does Hawk make those interceptions? I don't think so.

Upnorth
12-21-2011, 09:11 AM
So one thing good that happened was Grant ran very well over all, 12 rushes for 66 yards. He was stopped only twice, one of which was very crucial. My question is when the oline went to the emergency room why did we not run outside more or use the screen? Using Cobb might work as well, anything to make the D hesitate for just one step maybe.

Pugger
12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Its a puzzlement. I thought Hawk played pretty well last season...

Smidgeon
12-21-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm just tired of being teased by Hawk. Besides another pass rushing threat, we need a solid thumper in the draft. We don't have another one on the roster. I think AJ was paid more because of his reliablity than because of any take-over-the-game talent.

Upnorth
12-22-2011, 07:23 AM
So speaking optimistically I think our run game really shined against KC, there just was not enough of it to take pressure off of Arod. While our oline is under the weather should we retool and mix in a bunch more runs and screens? Grant looked very good, let's use him a bit more.

George Cumby
12-22-2011, 08:30 AM
So speaking optimistically I think our run game really shined against KC, there just was not enough of it to take pressure off of Arod. While our oline is under the weather should we retool and mix in a bunch more runs and screens? Grant looked very good, let's use him a bit more.

That's the spirit!

At least one journalist agrees with you:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/time-to-hit-the-ground-running-fp3hei4-136043938.html