PDA

View Full Version : More Viking troubles Koren Robinson arrested

Packers4Glory
08-16-2006, 05:57 AM
Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson was arrested late Tuesday night, Aug. 15, on his way back to training camp in Mankato, Minn., on suspicion of drunken driving, according to police. Police Sgt. Loren Jansen said Robinson was arrested at 10:46 p.m., for "driving while impaired." He is being held at Nicollet County Jail in St. Peter, Jansen said. "I won't be able to tell you a lot, other than that he was arrested for driving while impaired," Jansen said, "and he is incarcerated at this time. The investigation is (ongoing)." Vikings officials and Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, could not be reached for comment early Wednesday morning, Aug. 16. Robinson faces a potential yearlong suspension from the NFL because of past substance abuse issues.

first they lose Greenway...and now one of their top WR.

Rastak
08-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson was arrested late Tuesday night, Aug. 15, on his way back to training camp in Mankato, Minn., on suspicion of drunken driving, according to police. Police Sgt. Loren Jansen said Robinson was arrested at 10:46 p.m., for "driving while impaired." He is being held at Nicollet County Jail in St. Peter, Jansen said. "I won't be able to tell you a lot, other than that he was arrested for driving while impaired," Jansen said, "and he is incarcerated at this time. The investigation is (ongoing)." Vikings officials and Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, could not be reached for comment early Wednesday morning, Aug. 16. Robinson faces a potential yearlong suspension from the NFL because of past substance abuse issues.

Yea, I thought that tuneup story might be bullshit from the start.

BlueBrewer
08-16-2006, 07:55 AM
So what is the penalty for Robinson, is this his third strike? If so I think he may be out for a year.

Cheesehead Craig
08-16-2006, 08:07 AM

I remember that too Rastak. He "voluntarily" checked into rehab for "preventative measures". That stunk to high hell to me too. Guy's got some issues he needs to work out. Maybe a year from football is what this guy needs to get his act together.

Tarlam!
08-16-2006, 08:19 AM
Greenway out? What'd'I miss??

BlueBrewer
08-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Greenway out? What'd'I miss??

He tore his acl on a special teams play.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 08:24 AM

I can't say I didn't think the same thing--especially after his agent didn't seem to know he was "voluntarily" checking himself into rehab. I guess he's still in jail this morning--waiting for a judge to arrive to charge.

It's too bad for him. Addiction is a tough thing. It seems that people around him think he's a good guy. Of course, people around Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, and Steve Howe felt the same way about those guys.

BlueBrewer
08-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Does anyone have an idea of what kind of suspension he will be looking at for this?

Rastak
08-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Does anyone have an idea of what kind of suspension he will be looking at for this?

1 year. I'm still trying to find out the contract details, I had heard the Vikings had some protections in there but don't know the details.

No Mo Moss
08-16-2006, 08:30 AM
IT seems that he's done for the year, atleast up here in MN people are freaking out and I think its over this year for Koren.

No Mo Moss
08-16-2006, 08:32 AM

1 year. I'm still trying to find out the contract details, I had heard the Vikings had some protections in there but don't know the details.

What are the protections?

"Upon the third offense Koren will be imediately traded to Oakland for Randy Moss!"

hehe

Rastak
08-16-2006, 08:32 AM

What are the protection?

Upon the third offense Koren will be imediately traded to Oakland for Randy Moss!

hehe

No, I think it triggers a trade to the Bengals for a bag of footballs.

BlueBrewer
08-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Suddenly TT not getting him to GB doesn't look like a bad move after all. There should be some crow pie served today.

Patler
08-16-2006, 08:36 AM

It's funny, I WANTED to believe it was true. After hearing Robinson a few times last year, reading his comments, etc. I found myself pulling for the guy. When the "tuneup" story came out, I wanted to say, "Good for you! You're dealing with your issues!" But, that little kernel of reality in my mind kept saying that it didn't sound right, especially with the player and his agent having different stories.

Astonishment
08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
This is actually sad to me. I have always liked Robinson's talent, and I thought it was a real feel good story with him turning his career around after it looked destined to be one of the sad forgotten stories of players who wasted their golden oportunity. I quietly cheered for Robinson (of corse still cheering for whoever the Vikings were playing) and I thought he was finally turning the corner of getting past these problems. Right now I just hope he is able to get past this personally so he is no longer a risk to himself or anyone else. The football field should definately be second in a situation like this.

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Rastak. I'm sorry for you and Viking Fans to read this story.

Alcoholism is about denial in the face of failure/destruction and I've know people that fight it and win and some that end up having it kill them.

A man/woman can be forced to seek treatment or do so by their own will, but must first of all admit that they are not in control with alcohol.

The people who read this story should not judge Koren Robinson, or any other person suffering alcolhism. It's certainly an incedious disease and it sneaks up on anyone who thinks they have a power over alcohol.

My experience in life tells me many stories of the disease I refer to as alcoholism. Alcoholism is only a part of a person so inflicted. Alcoholism is primarily a inheritable disease (genetically predisposed) and some people never suffer as they don't ever drink alcohol. It's also strongly related to a persons emotional makeup.

When I was a young man. I read the book " Days of Wine and Roses " and that book was made into a movie starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remmick (sp), and from that I became more aware of the pangs of alcoholism.

I never once saw alcohol in my home or on either side of my family, but it existed and was kept hidden. The above mentioned book reveals alot of TRUTH about this disease.

Koren Robinson is today in it's grip again. He'll always be one screwup in his life away from it's grip, until he resists alcohol. Day to day the rmainder of his precious life.

Please. Feel sad for Koren Robinson. Please. Don't judge or condemn him.

ALL suffer's of alcoholism have a terrible battle. The label "alcoholic" is one of the worst stigma's they suffer and we should understand, have compassion for their embarassment. We recall the earlier story on the QT of Koren Robinson entering treatment.

It's only the one suffering this disease that needs to identify him/herself as an alcoholic. Noone else.

Freedom from it is about a daily recovery. Day after day . . . one day at a time.

Consider prayer for Koren Robinson and those who suffer with him. He has a difficult battle. All suffer's of Alcoholism have that struggle.

No Mo Moss
08-16-2006, 08:41 AM
I wonder if this sets the table for a Jerry Porter Trade?

Boy Randy Moss sure would look good on this Viking team. Thank God he's not on it or I might be afraid.

Rastak
08-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Suddenly TT not getting him to GB doesn't look like a bad move after all. There should be some crow pie served today.

Actually Thompson tried, he actually had more money on the table last year but Robinson said he had given Tice his word....so TT really did try and get him.

Patler, I've heard him speak several times, he comes off as a really nice guy. But I do have to say, he's a nice moron. I probably shouldn't say
that, I've seen alcholism before and it's pretty ugly but after getting a nice contract, it's just hard to fathom why you'd blow it like that on your first night out during camp.....the 1st fricken day. Aye yi yi.

fan4life
08-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Suddenly TT not getting him to GB doesn't look like a bad move after all. There should be some crow pie served today.Didn't TT draft KR in Seattle? He (TT) tried to get KR to GB last year, but KR had already signed with the Vikes - I think I read that he and Tice hit it off pretty well. I bet Childress didn't cut him any slack! KR has talent, but it sure looks like he'll have a hard time ever realizing his potential...

Rastak
08-16-2006, 08:45 AM
I wonder if this sets the table for a Jerry Porter Trade?

Boy Randy Moss sure would look good on this Viking team. Thank God he's not on it or I might be afraid.

I'd like them to get someone who stays healthy...Randy get's hurt every year it seems.

BlueBrewer
08-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Tank Williams, Chad Greenway, Koren Robinson...... what a bad run for the purple. I almost feel bad for them.

Rastak
08-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Tank Williams, Chad Greenway, Koren Robinson...... what a bad run for the purple. I almost feel bad for them.

Almost.... :wink: Actually, this one hurts more than the other two in my opinion.

It gets better though, apparently Koren tried to run and led the cops on a chase. Can you imagine the stark terror when he saw the lights....millions of dollars going away, tons of personal embarresment, so he jams on the gas.....sad.

Creepy
08-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Vikings will probably trade for Lelie as they have a little depth at DL and can afford to trade one and a draft pick for him. Vikings need that deep receiver for the WC offense the run. Robinson was the man and they need help.

Porter is still way too expensive, draft pick plus new contract that will cover his paying back 4M to Raiders. Raiders will still want a #1 or a starter in trade. Broncos may take a lower draft pick along with a 2d tier DL. They may have to pay a little more for Lelie but not what Porter would cost.

Lelie already works in a WC style offense with Shanahan and can become more familiar with the offense faster than Porter. Vikings will make this trade before their 3d pre-season game.

This may force other teams to act quickly if they want Lelie as the Falcons & Eagles were interested, the Viking needs will force somebody to anti up, as the need for WR is becoming bigger. This what Shanahan hoped for, he had teams biting but waiting for his price to go down, and if more teams have injuries to Lelie type receivers the better chance he will get the player or draft choice he wants.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Childress wants to clean house in Minnesota. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will make a knee jerk move, and trade for a malcontent WR. I don't think they'll bring in either Porter or Lelie.

The problem for them: KoRo is probably was a good #2 receiver--while the rest of their roster are good #3 receivers (Williamson has the potential to be better). I think they'll stay with what they got, but hope Williamson makes the jump up to #1. Their receiving corps was quite similar to the Packers before this, and they basically just lost their Donald Driver. It's a tough break. At least they have a few veterans who have been around and had some success.

run pMc
08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I suspected TT wouldn't touch him because of past shared history in SEA. That upside was pretty tempting. The sports radio talk folks in the Twin Cities are abuzz over this and Greenway this morning...the Vikes lose their #1 draft pick and probably their #1 WR for the year.
One guy was saying they still think 9-10 wins for the Vikes is probable.

Since I'm not a Vikes fan, I'm not sad for the team. On a personal level, this is bad news for both Greenway & Koren, and I wish them both recovery. Whatever personal demons Koren has, he needs to deal with them without a bottle for a crutch. I hope he never gets behind the wheel drunk again...for the sake of other motorists if not himself.

There, I'll step off my soapbox.

Cheesehead Craig
08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Unless some WR steps up his game about 3-4 notches for MN, their offense is in huge trouble. Their running game isn't all that good and with no WR threats and BJ's below avg strength arm, teams are going to crowd the line and start coming after BJ on more blitzes and routinely have 8 in the box.

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 09:27 AM

Almost.... :wink: Actually, this one hurts more than the other two in my opinion.

It gets better though, apparently Koren tried to run and led the cops on a chase. Can you imagine the stark terror when he saw the lights....millions of dollars going away, tons of personal embarresment, so he jams on the gas.....sad.

Tried to run and led cops on a CHASE?! Wow. Didn't hear that. He'll find a permanent home in Red Wing if he was drunk on his third strike and evaded police. If that's the case, he'd better not get off light....

tyler

Rastak
08-16-2006, 09:28 AM

Tried to run and led cops on a CHASE?! Wow. Didn't hear that. He'll find a permanent home in Red Wing if he was drunk on his third strike and evaded police. If that's the case, he'd better not get off light....

tyler

Yea, I heard he led them on a 12 mile chase......while drunk...if it's not a felony it should be.

Packnut
08-16-2006, 09:39 AM
It's kind of ironic that this happened the night after Monday Night Football did the whole thing about how he had changed.

FavreChild
08-16-2006, 09:41 AM
I am rather surprised at the outpouring of sympathy for KR. I don't wish him harm or anything, but it's not like he couldn't control his own fate - unlike an injury.

Rastak
08-16-2006, 09:47 AM
I am rather surprised at the outpouring of sympathy for KR. I don't wish him harm or anything, but it's not like he couldn't control his own fate - unlike an injury.

I think it's the alchoholism is a disease thing. I mean who in their correct mind would make those choices? You almost have to be sick.

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 09:52 AM
" This what Shanahan hoped for, he had teams biting but waiting for his price to go down, and if more teams have injuries to Lelie type receivers the better chance he will get the player or draft choice he wants. " Creepy

Mike Shanahan is a smart Man. It's going to be interesting to see what team antie's up what for Ashley Lelie.

I thought that " the Cowboys " were also interested.

Adam Schefter has said New Orleans is interested in Ashley as well.......along with eight other teams including Philly, SF, Seattle, Dallas and Chicago.

One rumor:

Philly has offered Sam Rayburn (DT) and a 3rd for Lelie.

Rayburn was hurt off and on last year, but had 6 sacks from the tackle spot the year before and is supposedly a solid run stuffer, when healthy.

The Bronco's are in a win-win with regards to Lelie, as they have him definitely on the expendible don't want him list now.

They have a solid #1 and #2 WR tandem in Rod Smith and Javon Walker, as well a young stable of guys with potential (Watts, Marshall (injury), and Kircus) and these fellas, the WR's will be utilized after the RUN !!

Their Offensive and Defensive Philosophy - something like this:

BRONCOS RECIPE FOR SUCCESS: run the ball, first, early, and often (the passing game) merely supports the run;

and Defensively attack the pass - at the point of origin.

What do the Bronco's covet in a trade for Ashley Lelie?

Talk is - a man that can be an asset to their DL and a third round pick. that would do it.

They are just waiting for the sort of adversity that just hit " the Vikings ". The loss of a solid #1 or #2 WR, on a team that has depth on the DL, especially at DT.

That sounds like "the Packers".

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH FOR 2006 and Beyond !!

FavreChild
08-16-2006, 09:53 AM
It's sad what alcoholism can do to a person, yes. But it's still by choice. (I prefer to think of it as a crutch rather than a disease.) And I would be willing to bet that I have more direct (family) experience with alcoholism than anyone on this site.

It's an unfortunate situation, but I sure don't feel bad for him.

The same would be true for someone like Ahman Green and his problems - which were under his own control.

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 09:59 AM
I have absolutely no sympathy. Switch positions with Koren for a second. He's got millions. He's an employee of the NFL. He's got the state of MN behind him and excited about the new year. He's got a bright future as part of the Vikes offense. And all he has to do is NOT GET DRUNK! Would any of us get off lenient if we were on our third strike and led DUI-focused police on a chase through the Twin Cities?

Hell no.

Life is all about choices. If he's an alcoholic, the rest of the team should've/could've stepped up and been responsible, knowing his past. He's got a responsibility to his team and the team has a responsibility to him. They failed each other. He failed the Vikes fans. He didn't have to drink and drive. That was his choice. His chase could've led to really ugly situation, a greater accident, or even vehicular homicide.

DUI is one thing. Evading the police and sending them on a chase is another. He needs to be jailed and treated if this is happening around a third strike. Even if it isn't a third strike, he should at least be suspended. He needs help. I have to travel on the same roads that that drunk decided to joyride on and I don't have patience.

tyler

FavreChild
08-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Agreed.

Everyone makes mistakes. There is no need to judge or condemn KR. After all, he will pay the consequences for his actions one way or another.

I was just a little baffled by the sympathetic overtures. They have a word for that: Enabling.

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I have absolutely no sympathy. Switch positions with Koren for a second. He's got millions. He's an employee of the NFL. He's got the state of MN behind him and excited about the new year. He's got a bright future as part of the Vikes offense. And all he has to do is NOT GET DRUNK! Would any of us get off lenient if we were on our third strike and led DUI-focused police on a chase through the Twin Cities?

Hell no.

Life is all about choices. If he's an alcoholic, the rest of the team should've/could've stepped up and been responsible, knowing his past. He's got a responsibility to his team and the team has a responsibility to him. They failed each other. He failed the Vikes fans. He didn't have to drink and drive. That was his choice. His chase could've led to really ugly situation, a greater accident, or even vehicular homicide.

DUI is one thing. Evading the police and sending them on a chase is another. He needs to be jailed and treated if this is happening around a third strike. Even if it isn't a third strike, he should at least be suspended. He needs help. I have to travel on the same roads that that drunk decided to joyride on and I don't have patience.

tyler

Your not wrong man! This is more serious than I first realized.

Too bad that Koren Robinson can't seem to avoid tossing it away. That's a symptom of the disease we call alcoholism.

It's brutal and hard sticks on all associated with the person suffering this illness. Koren will pay another price. So will his loved one's and his employer and all of the Viking fans and . . . ALL that is very sad.

Rastak
08-16-2006, 10:09 AM
The latest:

He was clocked at over 100 miles an hour and led 4 law enforcement agencies on a 12 mile chase, then stopped and cooperated.

Yikes!

Deputy Nutz
08-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Some fellas just can't quite the Grey Goose. Mo Clarrett, and K Robinson are disappointments in the game of life.

Patler
08-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Agreed.

Everyone makes mistakes. There is no need to judge or condemn KR. After all, he will pay the consequences for his actions one way or another.

I was just a little baffled by the sympathetic overtures. They have a word for that: Enabling.

Sorry, you can be sympathetic from a distance without being enabling when you deal with a person. As I sit here on my computer, I can feel bad for all kinds of people who make bad decisions. I genuinely feel bad for people who screw up their lives. Doesn't mean when I deal with them personally that I am tolerant or enabling of their actions. If you really understand addictions and addicts, you can change sympathy to empathy fairly easily, because in dealing with the individual you KNOW sympathy doesn't help them.

The sad thing is that the majority of us probably have close personal experiences with alcoholics.

woodbuck27
08-16-2006, 10:26 AM

He's a victim of his alcoholism FavreChild. It's a terrible suffering that Koren Robinson doesn't have a grip on yet. He and many other's suffer along with his illness.

That is where my compassion lies. He did wrong and will suffer his misdeed -his act of violating the LAW. He will bear the cost, but this should not darken us to not feel compassion for all that suffer this terrible illness.

Life isn't about ALL judgement of OUR fellow man/woman. Therefore, we are not to judge one another.

Rather within ourselves summon true compassion. I believe that. :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
08-16-2006, 10:31 AM
You may call alchoholism a disease, and I might not argue with you, but I didn't know that the disease came with a set of car keys.

Creepy
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
I believe compassion mixed with justice. If this is his 2d or more drunk driving charge, then it is time for jail. He endangered the lives of others with his addiction. He has already went to rehab and another stint this year (which was reported as a visit than actual re-hab).

He has identified the problem, and has chosen to ignore the solution. Whether he went in thinking a drinking problem, his solution should have been to give it up. Instead he went out and got nailed for DWI (driving while impaired). If he thought he could continue to drink, then fine, but he should have considered beyond drinking. A designated driver or taking a cab/limo to the party.

I was happy for him when it was reported that he turned himslef in last year and went back for a review this last summer. Now the compassion is gone. He drove on roads where other people drive themselves and their kids. he drove drunk, impaired, or under the influence (I really don't care which) and now needs to pay the price.

A years suspenion from the league and jail time will now give him the extra push to get straight. Football and money should not help him hide or slide through the system. Now it is time for tough love. Compassion didn't work, justice will have to. If he ignores this third chance to get straight, then I pity his friends and family, but will be unable to pity him. His choice now, he needs to make the right one.

He is young enough that after a year he will be able to get reinstated and play ball. He may not get the big contract, but he can work back to that after the suspension. He is young and has a good life ahead of him and it can still include the NFL. He needs to make the decision or he will be another NFL Player living under a bridge somewhere. Maybe if they took him to see other ball players like Mercury Morris or Dave Hampton who ended up homeless and destitute, he would see another path.

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Great post Creepy!

I believe compassion mixed with justice. If this is his 2d or more drunk driving charge, then it is time for jail. He endangered the lives of others with his addiction. He has already went to rehab and another stint this year (which was reported as a visit than actual re-hab).

He has identified the problem, and has chosen to ignore the solution. Whether he went in thinking a drinking problem, his solution should have been to give it up. Instead he went out and got nailed for DWI (driving while impaired). If he thought he could continue to drink, then fine, but he should have considered beyond drinking. A designated driver or taking a cab/limo to the party.

I was happy for him when it was reported that he turned himslef in last year and went back for a review this last summer. Now the compassion is gone. He drove on roads where other people drive themselves and their kids. he drove drunk, impaired, or under the influence (I really don't care which) and now needs to pay the price.

A years suspenion from the league and jail time will now give him the extra push to get straight. Football and money should not help him hide or slide through the system. Now it is time for tough love. Compassion didn't work, justice will have to. If he ignores this third chance to get straight, then I pity his friends and family, but will be unable to pity him. His choice now, he needs to make the right one.

He is young enough that after a year he will be able to get reinstated and play ball. He may not get the big contract, but he can work back to that after the suspension. He is young and has a good life ahead of him and it can still include the NFL. He needs to make the decision or he will be another NFL Player living under a bridge somewhere. Maybe if they took him to see other ball players like Mercury Morris or Dave Hampton who ended up homeless and destitute, he would see another path.

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 10:57 AM
In case this hasn't been posted yet...From the Pioneer Press here in the Cities...

Koren Robinson arrested
Vikings receiver arrested on suspicion of DUI after high-speed chase, police say
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Koren Robinson was arrested late Tuesday night on his way back to training camp in Mankato, Minn, for fleeing police and suspicion of driving under the influence, according to a St. Peter, Minn., police report.

The Vikings wide receiver was clocked going "in excess of" 100 mph in a 55-mph zone in the north part of St. Peter, according to the police report. St. Peter police officers pursued his blue sedan down Highway 169 and needed assistance from Mankato police, Blue Earth County sheriff's department and North Mankato police to stop him on a road near Minnesota State Mankato, according to the report.

Matt Peters, St. Peter chief of police, said sobriety tests were done on Robinson, but Peters declined to release details, saying that Robinson had not yet been formally charged.

"It was definitely a pursuit," Peters said. "The speeds were very high. It was very dangerous."

St. Peter police Sgt. Loren Jansen said Robinson was arrested at 10:46 p.m., for "driving while impaired" and was held at Nicollet County Jail in St. Peter, Jansen said. Vikings players had been given Tuesday off after a 16-13 exhibition loss to the Oakland Raiders on Monday night at the Metrodome. They were expected to report back to the players’ dorm at Minnesota State Mankato by 11 p.m. Vikings officials and Robinson’s agent, Alvin Keels, could not be reached for comment early this morning.

Robinson, 26, is in his second season with the Vikings, and he faces a potential yearlong suspension from the NFL because of past substance abuse issues.

The ninth overall pick in the 2001 NFL draft by the Seattle Seahawks, Robinson was released by the club in June 2005 after he was charged with driving under the influence and reckless driving the previous month. He also had been suspended four games for violating the substance abuse policy in 2004.

After making the Pro Bowl last season with the Vikings as a kickoff returner, Robinson signed a three-year deal worth $12.7 million during the offseason. He was projected as the top receiver, but his status is now in doubt because of this arrest.

In late June, weeks away from the start of training camp, Robinson voluntarily returned to an alcohol rehabilitation center in South Carolina. Keels said in July that Robinson did not stay overnight at the treatment center and was free to come and go. Keels also said Robinson had not suffered a relapse and was not in trouble with the NFL or the Vikings.

mngolf19
08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Childress wants to clean house in Minnesota. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will make a knee jerk move, and trade for a malcontent WR. I don't think they'll bring in either Porter or Lelie.

The problem for them: KoRo is probably was a good #2 receiver--while the rest of their roster are good #3 receivers (Williamson has the potential to be better). I think they'll stay with what they got, but hope Williamson makes the jump up to #1. Their receiving corps was quite similar to the Packers before this, and they basically just lost their Donald Driver. It's a tough break. At least they have a few veterans who have been around and had some success.

I was going to say the same thing Harv, no chance they trade for a malcontent like Porter. They are doing the "good guy" thing in MN now. So they may go for a TC cut of some "good guy" and leave it at that. They aren't looking for the long ball guy too much anyway.

Willard
08-16-2006, 01:30 PM
It's kind of ironic that this happened the night after Monday Night Football did the whole thing about how he had changed.

Actually this is a very normal time for a relapse in my experience. Many addicts have a hard time dealing with positive reinforcement. Perhaps it has to do with self-esteem issues. I have seen self-sabotage more than once during recovery. For example, when a recovering addict relapses the night before their one-year anniversary of sobriety. The brain is a f*@#ing mystery.

MadtownPacker
08-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Well at least moss was smart enough to run over the traffic cop that tried to stop him. Cant get a DUI if the cop is laidout on the road. :mrgreen:

As for robinson, well he didnt tear an ACL or get hurt causing him to miss the season so...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Deputy Nutz
08-16-2006, 02:45 PM
I wonder what his car insurance rates are going to be after this.

Rastak
08-16-2006, 02:51 PM
I wonder what his car insurance rates are going to be after this.

Zero, they'll yank his license forever. Actually he was driving without one....it just gets better and better.

packrulz
08-16-2006, 03:08 PM
This is bad for the Vikes but I think I'll be just as worried about Troy Williams as I would about KR. Troy had 372 yds, 2 TD's, 15.5 yd avg. where KR had 347 yds, 1 TD (receiving), for a 13.7 yd avg. Plus, Troy is younger and faster. On defense, they still have EJ Henderson & Napoleon Harris so I doubt the Pack will be looking past them.

cpk1994
08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
To think that people called TT an idiot for not signing this guy. Whose the idiot now?

Rastak
08-16-2006, 03:21 PM
To think that people called TT an idiot for not signing this guy. Whose the idiot now?

Actually he made an offer and Koren turned it down so I guess he'd still qualify as an idiot wouldn't he?

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 03:26 PM

I would offer that perhaps the environment had something to do with this recent downslide of KR's. Had he ended up in GB, the support system MAY have been better, the attention to his issues MAY have been better, and he wouldn't have had to drive from the Cities to Mankato (roughly 45 minutes) to attend camp. So, he theoretically could've gotten trashed at St. Norbert's, since it is a college, and stumbled back to his dorm, thus eliminating the possibility of a high-speed chase with police from four different counties.

Who knows if he would've been different if he would've ended up in GB. It IS called "the tundra" for more than just the cold field. He may have had a better chance to turn his life around in GB.

tyler

cpk1994
08-16-2006, 03:40 PM
I understand where you are coming from, but he had issues like these before Gb looked at him and I don't think being in GB makes him act differently. And as for TT offering him, thanks for the reminder. It doesn't matter to the anti-TT crowdthat Koren turned TT down, because Koren wasn't signed, TT is an idiot. Thats what I was trying to say.

NoVaDMak
08-16-2006, 03:57 PM
I understand people's rationale when feeling bad for a person who is suffering from a disease such as alcoholism. My question is this: if during that chase, he hit and seriously hurt/killed someone, would you still feel bad for him? We're all human and we all make mistakes, but you'd be lying if you say that you'd still feel for him. The guy would be chastised and lambasted for his actions.

Just because he is a prominent sports figure, doesn't give him any more/less responsibility than any other joe-schmoe that goes out and hurts someone.

MJZiggy
08-16-2006, 04:00 PM
I can sympathize with his inability to avoid picking up that drink; I cannot sympathize with getting behind the wheel once he did. He may be addicted to drinking, but is certainly not addicted to driving--and if this was a party atomosphere, someone should be shot for LETTING him get behind the wheel. If it were my party, I'd have threatened to report him to the police unless he let me either take him home or call a cab.

the_idle_threat
08-16-2006, 04:03 PM
This guy makes me glad we have Robert Ferguson.

HarveyWallbangers
08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
I think it comes back to trying to avoid looking like a dink and getting satisfaction out of a rival team's misfortune. I'm just showing the same sympathy I'd show if this were a Packer. Plus, it's bad karma to gloat over something that, so I choose to sympathize with Viking fans out there.

Cheesehead Craig
08-16-2006, 04:09 PM
This is bad for the Vikes but I think I'll be just as worried about Troy Williams as I would about KR. Troy had 372 yds, 2 TD's, 15.5 yd avg. where KR had 347 yds, 1 TD (receiving), for a 13.7 yd avg. Plus, Troy is younger and faster. On defense, they still have EJ Henderson & Napoleon Harris so I doubt the Pack will be looking past them.
Problem is, K-Rob was their #1 WR. Now he's gone and Williamson is not ready for that role yet as he is at best a #2 right now. It really depletes what was a marginal WR corps. Not to mention hurts their return game greatly. EJ and Harris are fairly poor LB, they are not the reason to fear the Vikes D. That would be the Williams' boys at DT.

jack's smirking revenge
08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Found this on ESPN. Quotes from Winfield & Holmgren...

Other Vikings said little about the situation.

"We're all adults. You have to be responsible for your actions," cornerback Antoine Winfield. "He did what he did. It's over. We have to move on."

At Seattle's camp, coach Mike Holmgren said he was saddened by the news.

"When he was with us, I rooted for him. I tried to help him. I felt I kind of failed the kid somehow," Holmgren said. "He's got to get a grip on this before something bad happens."

No Mo Moss
08-16-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't have a drinking problem, I have a stopping problem.

Rastak
08-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Is this outrageous or what? Here's a link to the criminal complaint....
I guess he was making a run for the pruple embassy or something in his clouded mind...aye yi yi

http://www.twincities.com/multimedia/twincities/archive/pdfs/criminal_complaint_robinson.pdf

woodbuck27
08-17-2006, 01:45 PM
This fr. PFT:

POSTED 7:12 a.m. EDT, August 17, 2006

ROBINSON'S MOST IMMEDIATE PROBLEM IS PROBATION VIOLATION

Based on a timeline of the events related to the troubled career of Vikings receiver Koren Robinson that has been compiled by the St. Paul Pioneer Press, it appears that the most immediate problem that Robinson faces is a finding that he violated the terms of probation resulting his July 2005 guilty plea in Washington on charges of drunk driving.

Robinson already has served 50 hours of community service in connection with two previous violations of the 24-month supervised probation.

Typically, probation violations can be established by the 51-49 preponderance of the evidence standard, and not the far more stringent "beyond a reasonable doubt" threshold that applies to criminal charges generally.

Robinson could, in theory, be required to serve the 364 days of his original sentence, which were suspended after his guilty plea. The fact that his 50 hours of community service for past probation violations were the result of a negotiation with prosecutors in Washington could make a jail term now more likely, since our guess is that as part of the deal with prosecutors Robinson acknowledged that any further violations would result in his incarceration.

Meanwhile, it's becoming increasingly clear to us that Robinson will not face any scrutiny from the league until he is convicted or pleads guilty to the new charges. So he could rejoin the Vikings and play, directing his lawyers to delay the trial on these new charges until after the season.

The next question, of course, is whether the Vikings will wash their hands of Robinson in light of this most recent incident. Though a release of Robinson could subject the team to a grievance for his 2006 salary, the Vikings claim to be looking to put the issue of turdish players far behind them.

Rastak
08-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Star Tribune
*Childress said he has “excused” Koren Robinson from team activities following his arrest Tuesday night for drunken driving and fleeing police. Childress said the length of Robinson’s absence has been left “open-ended.”

Rastak:

Adios Mr Robinson

woodbuck27
08-18-2006, 12:41 AM
Star Tribune
*Childress said he has “excused” Koren Robinson from team activities following his arrest Tuesday night for drunken driving and fleeing police. Childress said the length of Robinson’s absence has been left “open-ended.”

Rastak:

Adios Mr Robinson

Yup! There he goes.

DAM !!! That is so bad.

Rastak
08-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Found this interesting regarding wild man Koren....

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar

It’s always tough losing a talented player like receiver Koren Robinson, but the Minnesota Vikings wrote a contract for him that definitely took into account any chances for an alcohol-induced relapse, something that occurred last week.

I’ve always thought that the club’s contract writer, vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski, was pretty sharp and he proved it once again by not giving Robinson any guaranteed money or a signing bonus.

Consequently, none of the new provisions in the collective bargaining agreement should be a factor in getting their money back. Also, they don’t owe him any future payments. Remember, it was Brzezinski who fashioned the impossible-to-match language that got All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson out of Seattle.

A year ago at this time, new owner Zygi Wilf wanted to show the players that he was dumping the tight-wallet approach that suited Red McCombs, the previous owner. Quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who signed a bad contract with the Vikings, wanted more money and Wilf acquiesced. This time around Wilf and the Vikings were much smarter.

Minnesota gave Robinson, who actually made the Pro Bowl last season as a kick returner, a $1 million roster bonus when he signed in March. But the bonus had a forfeiture clause for alcohol-drug related offenses. The key point here is that there aren’t any restrictions on forfeiture language on roster bonuses like there are on signing bonuses in the new CBA. The Robinson contract language for the 2007 and 2008 seasons is exactly the same.

Robinson was to receive $81,250 per each game he was on the active roster this season. The Vikings, however, were actually willing to guarantee for injury all of the weekly roster bonuses, something he won’t see now, though. The Vikings have a great case to recoup the $1 million roster bonus if they choose to do so.

And Robinson has no one but himself to blame on this one. The sad part is that he is very talented. It’s why the Seahawks, who drafted him as a first-rounder, gave him numerous opportunities to clean up his act.

esoxx
08-21-2006, 08:48 PM
It's good for the Vikings that they are insulated a good deal on the fallout from the finacial ramifications. However, one thing they aren't insulated against is losing a Pro-Bowl returner and #1 receiver at the start of exhibition season. Had he at least blown up during the off-season, they could have "insulated" themselves by going for a WR in FA or the draft.

The "on field hit" his loss means to the team is what hurts for the here and now.

Rastak
08-21-2006, 08:53 PM
It's good for the Vikings that they are insulated a good deal on the fallout from the finacial ramifications. However, one thing they aren't insulated against is losing a Pro-Bowl returner and #1 receiver at the start of exhibition season. Had he at least blown up during the off-season, they could have "insulated" themselves by going for a WR in FA or the draft.

The "on field hit" his loss means to the team is what hurts for the here and now.

I think the KR hit is much bigger. They have a really short passing game that's really eating up the clock with long drives and frankly they don't need Koren for that. BUT they sure will miss those returns.