PDA

View Full Version : How Will The Bears Attack The Packer Defense?

The Shadow
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
The Bears will be studying last Sunday's game tape with great interest. Besides the natural rivalry aspect of the upscoming Christmas game, the Bears also have a revenge angle working for them, after the Pack stamped last season's Super Bowl ticket in their house.
WR Johnny Knox, one of the Bears 2 burners, will not play. Hester will. Their offensive line is not very good (although the Packers defensive line will probably make it look better than it is!).
Expect a steady diet of shallow crossing patterns to possession receivers Dane Sanzenbacher & Earl Bennett all night long, as well as lots of screens. The Bears will expect the Pack to load up against the run - but after watching a season-long pattern of receivers getting wide open with these routes (highlighted by the Chief's game), they will simply send Hester deep, to draw one or two defenders away, and put pressure on the GB linebackers to drop back into coverage and attempt to defend passing lanes.
I think that if this is successful, THEN the run game will be employed.
If I were Capers, I wouldn't get overly concerned at the start of the game with loading the box. Instead, I'd instruct the linebackers to not be too eager to crowd up to stop the run. If the Bears ARE having success with the run, it becomes a different story.
This could be a great chance for Woodson to jump a route & maybe bring back that next elusive Pick 6.

denverYooper
12-20-2011, 11:16 AM
I hope Bishop is back. Not that he's great in coverage, but he can help out with the pass rush.

Bossman641
12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I expect the Bears to do a lot of what the Chiefs did. Offensively, they will attempt a few reverses and other misdirection plays and try to run the ball. Barber is running pretty hard and I actually like Bell from what I have seen on him. They haven't decided on a QB yet, but Hanie hasn't looked Bennett's way much at all. If it's McCown that may change. With Knox out and Hester limited (I don't believe he played a single snap offensive snap vs Seattle), they really have nobody the defense has to fear deep. The Bear offense is atrocious, and if the defense has troubles with them I will be very disappointed.

Defensively, Bears have been excellent against the run. The pass rush has been good, not great. The DL and LB well, although the LB have faded a bit lately. The safeties are a mess. Packers need to hold up in pass protection and avoid turnovers, as that is the only real hope the Bears have. It would be nice if Finley showed up huge this game, as he can beat the Bear safeties.

gbgary
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
yup...lots of running, short passes, and trick plays. we'll let all the underneith stuff go and the yards will pile up for chicago...but not the points. 28-9 Packers.

The Shadow
12-20-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm thinking 24-10 Pack.

denverYooper
12-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Answer to the thread Q:

They Won't!

Pugger
12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
They'll probably try but do they really have the horses to do what KC did?

CaptainKickass
12-21-2011, 01:17 AM
Play Action

I don't post much, but I haven't seen this mentioned in discussions much. I feel like after the Gnats game & the Chefs game, play action is an exploitable weakness on D.

Iron Mike
12-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Here's my prediction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

mmmdk
12-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Bears D won't have to bring the house to pressure Rodgers which is bad news if Bears can covers our receivers just a wee bit!

Upnorth
12-21-2011, 09:38 AM
The Bears will be studying last Sunday's game tape with great interest. Besides the natural rivalry aspect of the upscoming Christmas game, the Bears also have a revenge angle working for them, after the Pack stamped last season's Super Bowl ticket in their house.
WR Johnny Knox, one of the Bears 2 burners, will not play. Hester will. Their offensive line is not very good (although the Packers defensive line will probably make it look better than it is!).
Expect a steady diet of shallow crossing patterns to possession receivers Dane Sanzenbacher & Earl Bennett all night long, as well as lots of screens. The Bears will expect the Pack to load up against the run - but after watching a season-long pattern of receivers getting wide open with these routes (highlighted by the Chief's game), they will simply send Hester deep, to draw one or two defenders away, and put pressure on the GB linebackers to drop back into coverage and attempt to defend passing lanes.
I think that if this is successful, THEN the run game will be employed.
If I were Capers, I wouldn't get overly concerned at the start of the game with loading the box. Instead, I'd instruct the linebackers to not be too eager to crowd up to stop the run. If the Bears ARE having success with the run, it becomes a different story.
This could be a great chance for Woodson to jump a route & maybe bring back that next elusive Pick 6.

I think that the shallow crossing routes would be good for our back up ILB Francois who has shown good coverage skills. The problem is we will have Hawk there.

The Shadow
12-21-2011, 10:47 AM
I think that the shallow crossing routes would be good for our back up ILB Francois who has shown good coverage skills. The problem is we will have Hawk there.

I had the same thought. I kinda wish Brandon Chillar was still around.

swede
12-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I want to know how Bretsky is going to approach the whammy. Did his whammy against the Chiefs suck, or did the ploy reach its expiration date?

This is far more important than the Xs and Os of Bears vs. Packers.

King Friday
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I think the bigger question is how our offense plays against their defense. I don't see the Bears putting up much more than 20 points regardless. Orton is a much better QB than McCown.

Tony Oday
12-21-2011, 01:03 PM
We are going to get crushed in this game AR cant hit the broadside of a barn and even if he does the reciever drops it....28-14 Bears

denverYooper
12-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Pickett is still out.

Damn.

Freak Out
12-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I want to know how Bretsky is going to approach the whammy. Did his whammy against the Chiefs suck, or did the ploy reach its expiration date?

This is far more important than the Xs and Os of Bears vs. Packers.

Bretsky dropped the baton and I believe Mission (?) is going to start the game thread.

George Cumby
12-21-2011, 06:49 PM
We are going to get crushed in this game AR cant hit the broadside of a barn and even if he does the reciever drops it....28-14 Bears

Say WHAT?

Homerism aside, the D gave up 19 points to a reasonably good qb with a decent running game. On the road. This is just crazy talk.

Or did I miss some sarcasm?

pittstang5
12-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Pickett is still out.

Damn.

Just saw that, what's up with that. And Neal was limited with a shoulder injury...Here we go again!

Plus, a new QB starting for the Bears....all this spells trouble for the Pack.

denverYooper
12-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Just saw that, what's up with that. And Neal was limited with a shoulder injury...Here we go again!

Plus, a new QB starting for the Bears....all this spells trouble for the Pack.

Dunno, but it was his second concussion of the year. It took Rodgers almost 2 weeks to see the field last year after his 2nd.

pittstang5
12-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Dunno, but it was his second concussion of the year. It took Rodgers almost 2 weeks to see the field last year after his 2nd.

Oh, ok. I actually forgot that this was his second concussion.

Pugger
12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
The bares will probably put Peppers up against Newhouse *gulp* so I'm praying MM will keep a TE or RB in there to keep Rodgers from getting killed. If AR has the time and we run the ball just enough we'll win.

Rutnstrut
12-22-2011, 06:40 PM
If our D sucks as bad as it has, and Rodgers continues to regress. The bears will not have to do much to attack and beat the Packers.

Joemailman
12-22-2011, 06:54 PM
If our D sucks as bad as it has, and Rodgers continues to regress. The bears will not have to do much to attack and beat the Packers.

Bears were outscored 31-0 in the second half last week. Two weeks before that, they put up 3 on Kansas City.

I assume by what you've posted lately you're amazed the Packers have won 3 games this year, much less 13.

Rutnstrut
12-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Bears were outscored 31-0 in the second half last week. Two weeks before that, they put up 3 on Kansas City.

I assume by what you've posted lately you're amazed the Packers have won 3 games this year, much less 13.

I have extremely high expectations, so sue me.

MJZiggy
12-22-2011, 09:07 PM
I have extremely high expectations, so sue me.

How much are you worth?

The Shadow
12-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Now, ladies - be nice! Remember the season.

MJZiggy
12-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Now, ladies - be nice! Remember the season.

What? Someone's gotta pay for all these presents...!

Harlan Huckleby
12-22-2011, 09:45 PM

But packers have a lot of injuries now, they are fielding a different team.

Bishop returning will help, but still no Pickett.

Pugger
12-23-2011, 07:31 AM

When did Pickett get his first concussion this year? :cnf:

Pugger
12-23-2011, 07:44 AM

If you think our offense is in worse shape than Chicago you haven't been paying attention. They have issues too --> Cutler, Forte and Barber are out of Sunday's game. Hester has a bad ankle and didn't practice yesterday. Their offensive line might not be as banged up as ours but those guys aren't All-pros either. If we can run the ball just enough to slow down the rush and keep Rodgers upright we'll be 14-1 when the clock strikes 12 Sunday night.

denverYooper
12-23-2011, 01:01 PM
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/12/23/friday-practice-report-no-pickett/

Desmond Bishop, LB Calf Full Participation Probable
Bryan Bulaga, T Knee Out
Chad Clifton, T Hamstring/Back Limited Participation Out
Howard Green, NT Foot Limited Participation Probable
Greg Jennings, WR Knee Out
Mike Neal, DE Shoulder Limited Participation Questionable
Ryan Pickett, DE Concussion Did Not Participate Out
Brandon Saine, RB Concussion Full Participation Probable
James Starks, RB Knee/Ankle Full Participation Probable

Looks like Big Pickett and Cliffy are officially no-go. Man, they are hurting on both lines. Raji, Wynn, Wilson, Lang, and/or Wells are going to be playing 2-way soon.

denverYooper
12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/skjensen/status/150294528748822529

#Bears officially have WR Devin Hester listed as questionable and I believe RB Marion Barber is listed as doubtful